Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Is Divorce a Sin?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Evelyn lived with us for a few months ... mike was very abusive... Early 70s ... he loved to call and tell her what she was wearing that day.... he loved the control.......

408fa0993173117458d6bb2b3d09c94e.jpg
Here is a pillow

Evelyn lived with us for a few months ... mike was very abusive... Early 70s ... he loved to call and tell her what she was wearing that day.... he loved the control.......
Control is a very big part of abuse.It is cutting the woman off from the world.

Ok, so I walk away from a thread for a couple days and look what happens. Sheesh.

Anyway, getting back to the OP. Obviously, there is much that can lead to someone deciding to get a divorce, but is the act of divorce actually a sin, or can we view it as the logical conclusion to sin that has already been committed. Do we hold one spouse to the fire because of the sins of the other?

Let me be clear on my take on divorce. I personally do not believe in it, that is to say that God can certainly cut through any sin and heal a marriage if both parties are willing and repentant of any sins they may have committed. Thankfully God has blessed me and my wife with a solid marriage, and we have Godly people in our lives that will guide us back on track should we stray.

Hopefully we can bring this little convo back on track.

:sorry2

Each divorce is different ... I dont think they all can be put in the same box..
One side can be a victim of divorce.

No worries, reba, I was only mildly perterbed, that is to say not at all, as I like a good healthy side-bar once in a while.

I agree there are many different reasons for divorce, but is divorce a sin, or is what lead to it only considered when it comes to sin? I suppose something to consider is if both individuals were going through counselling with their pastor or elder and were advised to work it out and one person decided to, unilaterally, file.

I believe it can be ...
i dont like the color of your hair i am getting a divorce,
Dad does not like you if i divorce you i am back in the will . . .. sinful

you have cheated and cheated we are now divorced
that was the last beating i am divorcing you. , , , , not sinful :shrug

I guess the part we are missing here, since I have never been through the process (thank you God), is if there are truly unilateral divorces, or if both parties must agree to it.

Of course in the case of a unilateral one, the person on the receiving end really has no choice, and thus never had the chance to sin, if they truly did nothing on their end to warrant such a decision.

a spouse may divorce you legally(under the governments law), how you respond to that divorce is up to you...in a sense the government dos not make the marriage" legal" between you and God....Christians should follow the legalities of day.. but also the Biblical 'legalities'

Suppose the wife cheats on the husband. Is the husband a victim?

If love is unconditional, then wouldn't that make the wife the victim (of a spiritual attack perhaps?)

Does the husband have the right to feel offended if he loves her?

Wasn't divorce a biblical concession rather than a just thing to do? (Biblical legalities)

If love is unconditional, then wouldn't that make the wife the victim (of a spiritual attack perhaps?)

Wasn't divorce a biblical concession rather than a just thing to do? (Biblical legalities)

imo
1) The spouse of the adulterer is a victim of the act of adultery. However that does not mean they are innocent of any wrong doing in the marriage.
2) Huh?
3) He/she has right to be offended whether he loves her or not.
4) You know the answer to that.

The husband is a victim of infidelity.
Was the wife a Christian to begin with?Yes,the husband is a victim of infidelity.
Of course the husband can feel hurt,betrayal and definately offended
We make those vows "Let No Man Put Asunder" I believe is a vow to remain with each other only.I might be wrong about that.

imo
1) The spouse of the adulterer is a victim of the act of adultery. However that does not mean they are innocent of any wrong doing in the marriage.
2) Huh?
3) He/she has right to be offended whether he loves her or not.
4) You know the answer to that.

As you may know, i am striving to learn about and walk in love. To become love is the way one pastor put it. This is having the mind of Christ is my thought. They crucified Jesus, and while He was on the cross, He said father forgive them for they know not what they do.

Question: is love unconditional? Is the husband the spiritual leader of the marriage? Shouldn't he, be bigger than the world and forgive her, and try to set her back on the narrow path?

I know this is a hard pill to swallow. I'm not saying it would be easy. but, shouldn't we strive to be overcomers and forgive as we were forgiven?
Specifically;

1) He is a victim by worldly standards, and even by biblical standards, however, divorce was a concession given to the people. We are to repent, and turn back to God.
2) "Huh?" Love is (biblically) unconditional. he either loves her, or he doesn't. If he does, then is it predicated on anything at all, or does he just love her?
3) I agree, he does have the right to be offended. That would hurt. But our Christian duty is to overcome and look only to God. So we must ask ourselves...would God forgive her? and then forgive her, for with what measure we mete unto her, it shall be measured unto us again. Even if it hurts, he should forgive her.
4). Yes, divorce was a concession to a hard hearted people by God through Moses. Biblically, they should stay together and turn to God for the mending and growth.

The husband is a victim of infidelity.
Was the wife a Christian to begin with?Yes,the husband is a victim of infidelity.
Of course the husband can feel hurt,betrayal and definately offended
We make those vows "Let No Man Put Asunder" I believe is a vow to remain with each other only.I might be wrong about that.

Would it matter to God if she was a Christian? (he is a victim, agreed) If he married her without her being a Christian, then he should hang in there and be an example in effort to bring her to the Lord.
On the vows, if she broke the vows, then has she not lost her way and need spiritual guidance? We know that God would rather they stay married, so in effect, if he divorces her...this is not pleasing to God. It may not be held against him as sin, but let's face it, should we not try to do what God would want? I think we should.

I say these things as a man whose wife never cheated on him while we were together, so I never felt that sting, however, I am trying to learn to walk as God would have me to walk, with honor and I do believe that two wrongs do not make a right. I think he should try to repair the marriage and forgive her.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back