Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Is Evolution "Mindless"?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Actually, could you possibly define what you mean by information? IS it nucleotide sequences? Genes? Proteins?

Could you also site where evolution makes the claim that new information is created? As far as I'm aware all Evolution states is that the most adapted organisms in an enviroment are the most likely to survive to breed. Is it possible you are confusing Evoltuion with Genetics.
This is evolution's weakest point - the origin of information, otherwise known as 'instinct'.

A reptile becomes a bird, let's say. But it has never flown - and the instincts requred are a huge amount of information, which comes from where?

Evolution has no answer - it is mindless, and cannot solve the problems of flight. Mankind took a zillion years to manage the feat - yet the birds had been doing it for zillions more.

So where did the information come from, never mind the feathers and the air sacs, and the unidirectional air flow in lungs, the change in movement of the forelimbs etc etc. If the information/ instinct is absent, then the new bird can't fly, no matter how much excellent equipment it may have.

Try putting an untutored mechanic in a fighter plane, and tell him 'Go fly'. What do you think will happen? Yeah, you're right. Broken neck, back, arms and legs, and death.

So too the newly evolved bird. No instincts, no information, death.

Where do you go from there?

This kind of reconciliation does exist with many scientists, it isn't highlighted because of the lack of empirical evidence, which is a prerequisite of any scientific paper or journal being published as a theory.

The documentary hypothesis and other leading hypotheses do not propose any "divine" or extraterrestrial authorship of the Book of Genesis. So, no, the reconciliation doesn't exist popularly.

Science doesn't speak of God; It simply can't because of the nature attributed to Him, but no scientist is pushed to reject the God hypothesis, and many see no problem in reconciling scientific theory and their personal belief in a deity. For some, the silence within science pertaining to a God is in support of His existence (ie; cannot be ruled out), for others, this same silence is reason enough to discount it; "If it doesn't need to exist, why should one assume it does?"

Which stance a person takes is up to them. Scientific theory will likely never touch on the matter.

I agree with everything you said about God, but I was asking Cupid Dave about the Book of Genesis. The Book of Genesis makes claims about the earth, and mainstream science rejects those claims(through archaeology, biology, geology, etc.), so I was asking Cupid Dave what he thinks is the reason for the hypothesis(the one that he likes) not being accepted by mainstream science. I would also like to add that "not being accepted" is an understatement. Perhaps "downright ridiculed" by mainstream science would be more appropriate.

The church is keeping those scientists out of our congregations, because they insist that Genesis contradicts the facts.
No scientists worth his salt wants to sit with people who are so far removed frm what he believes is the Truth, and hear these attacks n that Truth from a group that insists their Lrd is Truth, the wat, and the life.

Help me get those science peple into the churches, they are very stoic good citizens who will be an asset.

Drop the Medieval interpretations of Genesis that have come dwn through those originators of the denminations, like Russell, Wesley, Williams, Smith, etc.

Think what you like about Genesis, but agree that Theistic Evolution for others is valid and makes sense.

So, are you saying that the major thing that is keeping these scientists from accepting the YHWH-inspired authorship of the Book of Genesis is because they are being kept out of the churches? So, when they finally get through the church doors, the extreme knowledge of the author/authors of Genesis that "was there all along" will be more easily noticed?

Gotcha. Let me rephrase then. "I wont deny natural selection or mutations."
Gotcha ;)

Stovebolts said:
Do you have evidence that both the cat and dog came from the same family? This is what I found on Wikipedia.
Sure, let me find the video from the phylogeny student who did an entire 2 video series of the split.

Stovebolts said:
LOL, ok, well move it up a notch. My point was a generic point lol, but I'm sure you got my point lol. But to clarify, the fox falls under the Canidae Family. From within the Canidae Family, it falls under the Vulpini "tribe" aka genus. As such, it will never produce offspring from any other genus. How's that? lol
That is true, but if the genus was to get to a point where it is overly broad, we'll just put a marker and move apart of the Genus into a new Genus or Species. Its pretty much how we organized the difference between Bears, Foxes, Musclids, Wolves anyway. :)

Stovebolts said:
I don't have the dna records, and if I did I wouldn't be able to read them anyway lol. But as far as showing how DNA information is lost, you made my point earlier when you said, "Modern cats and dogs are way to far from each other to copulate at this point". If both Cats and Dogs came from the same family (Canidae), then what we see is both natural selection and utations that result in a loss of information. If all the DNA information was intact between genus, then it would be possible to reconstruct the dna of a cat and produce a dog. The fact that Natural Selection and mutations shows different genus that drift further from it's origen is self evident don't you think? That being said, I'm sure if I searched hard enough I could find something for you. Do you really want me to find Dna sequencing for you?
I mostly asked for the information because you were stating that the "information" had changed. I was just wondering if you knew what you meant by information. Cats also didn't come from the family Canidea. They originated from the family Felidea. What we see with why Cats and Dogs can't interbreed is actually due to chromosomes. Because cats and Dogs have adapted and mutations have occurred through sexual isolation, both species have modified their gametes to the point where they wouldn't line up genetically any more. Now the information isn't lost because we can still see in their sequences where they both relate in both being Mammalian carnivores.

Here
is a quick and simple answer.

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/ee/natural-selection-vs-evolution

Using the genes A, B, and C as examples of recessive/dominant traits in dogs, if an AaBbCc male were to mate with an AaBbCc female, there are 27 different combinations (AABBCC . . . aabbcc) possible in the offspring. If these three genes coded for fur characteristics, we would get dogs with many types of fur—from long and thick to short and thin. As these dogs migrated around the globe after the Flood, they encountered different climates. Those that were better suited to the environment of the cold North survived and passed on the genes for long, thick fur. The opposite was true in the warmer climates. Natural selection is a key component of the explanation of events following the Flood that led to the world we now see.

As far as a simplified idea of genetics, its kind of alright, but it doesn't take into account duplication effects. AAAABBCC would be an example. Or in some cases AABBCD. There are actually four different proteins in DNA.

As far as evolution, my son and I were watching the History Channel a few months ago (The history of us) or something like that and according to evolution, we started out as single cells, then looked like worms, then fish etc etc etc. For something to evolve it has to have the initial dna information to construct and build off. Observational science shows that as animals "evolve", they loose dna instructions. Do you know how complex the dna structure is to design a feather? Yet we are to believe we started as a single cell or before that, nothing?
From what we understand about how DNA replicates, it is possible for segments to duplicate, mix up, omit, etc. Its like your example of AABBCC, every general there could be resuslts such as AABBCB or AABBBBBBBBBCC, etc. These mutations in the sequence may or may not effect the organism as a whole and be either weeded out or kept.

I understand that genetics is a marvel and very fascinating, and at times very hard to grasp. That is the wonder. I understand that you think God did that, and I don't mind at all. I really don't mind. I'm just the guy saying, "well this is what we understand so far". :)

This is evolution's weakest point - the origin of information, otherwise known as 'instinct'.
Sorry, a Gene sequence is not instinct. Instict is a psychological term given to subconscious reasons why an organisms does something. Such as want to have sex, sleep, eat, etc.

A reptile becomes a bird, let's say. But it has never flown - and the instincts requred are a huge amount of information, which comes from where?
Birds are descended from dinosaurs not reptiles. Also it wasn't an overnight occurrence. Just like how a baby dosen't become an adult over night. You seem to be asking how birds learned to fly. Probably the same way you learned to move your eyes as a baby. Over use and trial and error, organisms tend to figure out what they can do. You are aware baby birds learn to fly right?

Evolution has no answer - it is mindless,
The Theory of Evolution isn't an organism, so it wouldn't have a mind.
and cannot solve the problems of flight. Mankind took a zillion years to manage the feat - yet the birds had been doing it for zillions more.
That has more to do with the fact that Birds had feathers and light bone structures way before flight was even accomplished. This is what happens when you don't actually do the research of what it is you are trying to dismantle. This is something a first year Biology College student would learn.

So where did the information come from, never mind the feathers and the air sacs, and the unidirectional air flow in lungs, the change in movement of the forelimbs etc etc. If the information/ instinct is absent, then the new bird can't fly, no matter how much excellent equipment it may have.
Considering you don't understand the history of Bird evolution, let alone the evolution or flight, I don't think I could even begin to help you here unless you are willing to learn about he origin of the said parts.

Try putting an untutored mechanic in a fighter plane, and tell him 'Go fly'. What do you think will happen? Yeah, you're right. Broken neck, back, arms and legs, and death.

So too the newly evolved bird. No instincts, no information, death.
If you stuck a bird inside a fighter plane, it would also die. Its a good thing birds are born with their wings, air sacks, etc. and their feather develop and they spend their juvenile stage learning how to operate their wings and parts. Just as us humans spend our infant stages learning how to walk, grab things, laugh, etc.

Where do you go from there?
To talk to someone who doesn't pretend they understand more then what they think they understand. ;)

The creationist argument over the metatarsal ligament depends on the assumption that the abduction of the hallux in utero could not be delayed long enough for the ligament to form around all five metatarsal bones. I find that unconvincing, and so far, no creationist has been able to show that this is the case.

I would be open to any contrary evidence, of course.

We've already disposed of that, but we can do it again.

From existing behaviors. Bipedal dinosaurs, as you learned, would use their forelimbs as organs of balance in running. But we now know that many of them in the line leading to birds, were also feathered, so that same motion would then be used to control the movement of the animals while running. As you know, ostriches use their rudimentary wings to control their movement while running, in the same way that flying birds control their flight. So the motions were already there, used to a slightly different purpose.
http://www.livescience.com/6657-ostrich-wings-explain-mystery-flightless-dinosaurs.html

Evolution has no answer - it is mindless, and cannot solve the problems of flight. Mankind took a zillion years to manage the feat - yet the birds had been doing it for zillions more.

You might want to go back and take a look at the conversation. You've already seen these facts.

So where did the information come from

As you see, already there.

never mind the feathers

As you know, there were feathers long before there were birds.

and the air sacs,and the unidirectional air flow in lungs

Dinosaur with avian lungs:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/8...ed-dinosaur-had-bird-like-lungs/#.UVPHqlfDssw

, the change in movement of the forelimbs

See above. Already there.

The church is keeping those scientists out of our congregations, because they insist that Genesis contradicts the facts.
No scientists worth his salt wants to sit with people who are so far removed frm what he believes is the Truth, and hear these attacks n that Truth from a group that insists their Lrd is Truth, the wat, and the life.

Help me get those science peple into the churches, they are very stoic good citizens who will be an asset.

Drop the Medieval interpretations of Genesis that have come dwn through those originators of the denminations, like Russell, Wesley, Williams, Smith, etc.

Think what you like about Genesis, but agree that Theistic Evolution for others is valid and makes sense.

So, are you saying that the major thing that is keeping these scientists from accepting the YHWH-inspired authorship of the Book of Genesis is because they are being kept out of the churches? So, when they finally get through the church doors, the extreme knowledge of the author/authors of Genesis that "was there all along" will be more easily noticed?

I mean that young people who get educated, hear what the church people say in direct contradiction to what is factually supported by Science.
They accept that the Bible actually says those things, when really, how god made the plant kingdom and the animal kingdom is not stated in Genesis, just that he did.
Thus these opinions by the church people speak for the Bible, and the young people think God is a joke on the Bill Maher show.

The creationist argument over the metatarsal ligament depends on the assumption that the abduction of the hallux in utero could not be delayed long enough for the ligament to form around all five metatarsal bones. I find that unconvincing, and so far, no creationist has been able to show that this is the case.

I would be open to any contrary evidence, of course.

Honestly Barbarian, I am amazed that you can be satisfied with such nonsense.

In the ADULT chimp, and the ADULT human, the metatarsal ligament binds 4 and 5 toes respectively.

That is your problem, and the 'in utero' point is meaningless.

There are no intermediates between a 4-bind and a 5-bind. Therefore the human foot arose independently of the chimp foot, and fundamentally has nothing to do with it.

So try again, and this time produce some relevant materials or arguments.

Otherwise abandon the nonsense.

We've already disposed of that, but we can do it again.

No we haven't done so anywhere, apart from in your imagination.

From existing behaviors.

Now you have a little problem here. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the flight POTENTIAL existed before flight ever arose.

That is flatly contradictory of any and all evolutionary dogma I have ever read or heard. Any POTENTIAL GENES which WOULD AT SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE govern flight, would necessarily be selected out by the natural selection proccess, which weeds out the unnecessary.

Therefore, even IF SUCH GENES EXISTED BEFORE FLIGHT BEGAN, they could not last long, and flight would never arise. So try again.
Bipedal dinosaurs, as you learned, would use their forelimbs as organs of balance in running. But we now know that many of them in the line leading to birds, were also feathered, so that same motion would then be used to control the movement of the animals while running. As you know, ostriches use their rudimentary wings to control their movement while running, in the same way that flying birds control their flight. So the motions were already there, used to a slightly different purpose.

As you clearly do not know, the motions of forelimbs in running are completely different to those of forelimbs in flight. EVERYTHING is different.

To move an arm backward and forward requires different musculature and innervation and anatomy to that required to move a wing up and down especially in the figure-8 movement characteristic of flight. The instinctual requirement is also entirely different.

It's no use saying that the instincts already existed. They would, as I have pointed out, been selected out when they were of no use as yet. Which leaves you with a big fat zero as far as flight is concerned.

http://www.livescience.com/6657-ostrich-wings-explain-mystery-flightless-dinosaurs.html

Have you read the stupid article? I doubt it. Imagine saying that ostriches which cannot fly, could be the precursors of birds which can! Sure, they may stabilise themselves with their rudimentary wings, but as you should know, stabilisation and flight are 2 entirely different things.

So scratch that piece of nonsense.

You might want to go back and take a look at the conversation. You've already seen these facts.

We want relevant facts, not this irrelevant mumbo jumbo.

Just BTW, have you ever looked at the structure of flight feathers? There is no way those could have evolved from reptilian scales.

images

Just look at the intricate binding and hear Denton on the point:

Each feather consists of a central shaft carrying a series of barbs (see diagram) which are positioned at right angles to the shaft to form the vane. The barbs which make up the vane are held together by rows of barbules (again look at the diagram).

From the anterior barbules, hooks project downwards and these interlock with ridges on the posterior barbules. Altogether, in the flight feather of a large bird, about a million barbules co-operate to bind the barbs into an impervious vane.

All of this goes to show that feathers did not come from reptile scales, by the wind blowing through them or otherwise. (Did you ever hear such a stupid theory? But that's what they say!)

If a scale frayed, then since there are strands of collagen in the scale, the fraying could only produce a 'feather' WITH GAPS IN BETWEEN THE STRANDS. A feather NEEDS TO BE IMPERVIOUS, not open to wind blowing through. As denton again says:

The stiff impervious property of the feather which makes it so beautiflul an adaptation for flight, depends basically on such a highly involved and unique system of co-adapted components that it seem impossible thatany transitional feather-like structure could possess even to a slight degree, the crucial properties.

Barbara Stahl, in Vertebrate History: Problems in Evolution says, as far as feathers are concerned "How they arose initially. presumably from reptiles scales, defies analysis"

So we might say you have some very serious problems right here. Explain.

AND DID YOU KNOW THAT THERE ARE ABOUT 10 DIFFERENT TYPES OF FEATHER ON ANY GIVEN BIRD? How did they all arise since about 8 of them are not necessary for flying?

So where did the information come from?

No, they had been selected out a long. long time ago before flight arose, and because of that, flight COULD NOT HAVE ARISEN.

So where do you go from there?

never mind the feathers

As you know, there were feathers long before there were birds.

Whether there were or not, that does not account for the origin if the flight instincts/information. So try again.

and the air sacs,and the unidirectional air flow in lungs

Dinosaur with avian lungs:
http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/8...ed-dinosaur-had-bird-like-lungs/#.UVPHqlfDssw

Did you know that the article refers to a dinosaur the size of an elephant? No? Did you think it could fly? Ha ha haaaaah!

Try this one for size:
http://discovermagazine.com/2003/feb/breakdialogue/#.UVQv7Te1va4

, the change in movement of the forelimbs

See above. Already there.

Eyewash.

Now you have a little problem here. If I understand you correctly, you are saying that the flight POTENTIAL existed before flight ever arose.

That is flatly contradictory of any and all evolutionary dogma I have ever read or heard.

That's because you really don't know what evolutionary theory says. Two key points:

1. Evolution never produces something out of nothing. It's always a modification of something that was already there.

2. Preadaptation is an important element in evolution, and has been since Darwin.

I've asked you several times to spend a little effort to learn what biology is about. It would be very useful to you.

Any POTENTIAL GENES which WOULD AT SOME POINT IN THE FUTURE govern flight, would necessarily be selected out by the natural selection proccess, which weeds out the unnecessary.

No. For example, the forelimbs of bipedal dinosaurs, particularly those with feathers, were very useful of organs of balance and control. The feathers along with flapping movements, permit control and balance. We see this in ostriches today. So flying was an elaboration of something already in place.

Barbarian observes:
Bipedal dinosaurs, as you learned, would use their forelimbs as organs of balance in running. But we now know that many of them in the line leading to birds, were also feathered, so that same motion would then be used to control the movement of the animals while running. As you know, ostriches use their rudimentary wings to control their movement while running, in the same way that flying birds control their flight. So the motions were already there, used to a slightly different purpose.

As you clearly do not know, the motions of forelimbs in running are completely different to those of forelimbs in flight.

Well, let's take a look...

After three years, when the ostriches were full-grown, thescientists video-recorded them as they raced down nearly 1,000-foot (300-meter)stretches outdoors. They found the ostriches used wings as sophisticatedair-rudders for rapid braking, turning and zigzag maneuvers. Experiments thatplaced ostrich feathers in streams of air showed they could indeed provide lift,which would come in handy for animals that did fly.

"You have to stop thinking about their wings as flightorgans and as stabilizers instead," Schaller said. "Think about whenyou run around a curb — you use your arms, too, a little like the ostrichesdo."

Some modern flightlessbirds might use their wings in similar ways. "South American rheasexecute rapid zigzagging as a means of escape, and use their wings to maintainbalance during these agile maneuvers," Schaller explained.

This is why flight in birds is different than in other flying creatures. It uses a unique movement of the shoulder to flap.

The wing-assisted incline running hypothesis -- The feathered forelimbs of small, two-legged dinosaurs may have helped them run up hills or other inclines to escape predators. This half running, half flapping may have evolved into an ability to fly. Dial (2003) reported findings suggesting that the ability to fly evolved gradually. Feathers may have first protected animals from cold & wet weather, then been used out of necessity when something with big teeth was chasing them. Even before their wings develop enough to fly, some living birds use them to improve traction and gain speed. Dial studied birds, like partridges, capable of only limited flight. Energetically, "It's a lot cheaper to run than fly," Dial said. So these baby birds, with big feet & powerful legs, use them in combination with their wings, first to stay balanced and grounded, then to take on steeper and steeper inclines. Using this "wing assisted incline running," Chukar Partridges can negotiate 50 degree inclines right after hatching, 60 degree slopes at 4 days old, and at 20 days, can perform a vertical ascent. "The wings help them stick to the ground," said Dial. The wings only come into play on steep angles because at about a 50 - 60 degree incline the birds start slipping. Then they begin a head to tail movement, like a reptile, that pushes them to the ground to enhance traction. "They use their wings like spoilers on a race car, to give their feet better traction," he said. Use of this wing-assisted running doesn't stop when the birds are old enough to fly. Adult birds often choose the running and flapping option instead of flying because it is more energy efficient.
http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/554notes2.html

EVERYTHING is different.

Turns out, it's the same thing, just adapted slightly to a different way of moving.

To move an arm backward and forward requires different musculature and innervation and anatomy to that required to move a wing up and down especially in the figure-8 movement characteristic of flight. The instinctual requirement is also entirely different.

See above. Same motions.

It's no use saying that the instincts already existed. They would, as I have pointed out, been selected out when they were of no use as yet.

You see the flight motions in ostriches, which cannot fly. And these are anatomically the same as the shoulders and arms of running dinosaurs.

So that's not an adequate excuse for you.

Have you read the stupid article? I doubt it. Imagine saying that ostriches which cannot fly, could be the precursors of birds which can! Sure, they may stabilise themselves with their rudimentary wings, but as you should know, stabilisation and flight are 2 entirely different things.

But it's not stabilization. It's using the wings to control movement and change direction. Didn't you read the article?

Just BTW, have you ever looked at the structure of flight feathers? There is no way those could have evolved from reptilian scales.

In fact, we can make feathers develop from scutes (specialized scales found on dinosaurs, bird legs, and crocodiles)

Drs. Hongyan Zou and Lee Niswander wondered what biological process allowed duck feet to remain webbed. Through experimentation they learned that the absence of certain proteins in the webbing of ducks allowed the webbing to remain throughout the fetus' development and entire life-cycle. The experimentation was carried out on the fetuses of cute, furry or feathered animals. At various stages of development, fetuses were injected with a virus that blocked development of a specific set of proteins in one of their limbs. In chicken embryos, the webbing of the toes were not absorbed and webbed feet were retained.

The lack of the proteins also caused the scutes on the foot to develop into feathers.
Scutes are the thick scales on the top of a bird's foot (see figure at right). There are smaller scutes on the back of the foot, called scutellae, and scales on the bottom of the digits, called reticulae. Analyses by Alan Brush have shown that bird scutes, scuttelae, claw sheathes, beak sheathes, and scales around the eyes are of the same chemical composition as feathers, and are controlled by the same genes. The reticulae have been shown to be identical to crocodilian scales both in composition and their location on the DNA strand.
In all cases where a chick was infected with the inhibitor virus at days 15-18 of development, at least some of the scutes developed into feathers. The feather development ranged from thickening of the edge of the scute, to short, fat feathers, to long, thin feather filaments (see figures at left and right; click on the images to see larger hi-res picture). These feathers contained the barbs characteristic of normal feathers, although the barbs were more numerous. The scutellae also developed into feathers to various degrees.

http://www.skeptive.com/sources/66982/source_urls/235148

Each feather consists of a central shaft carrying a series of barbs (see diagram) which are positioned at right angles to the shaft to form the vane. The barbs which make up the vane are held together by rows of barbules (again look at the diagram).

From the anterior barbules, hooks project downwards and these interlock with ridges on the posterior barbules. Altogether, in the flight feather of a large bird, about a million barbules co-operate to bind the barbs into an impervious vane.

But the simplest feathers lack all of this. And there are gradual intermediate forms between the simplest filament feather, and highly evolved flight feathers.
Learn about it here:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/studying/feathers/feathers

All of this goes to show that feathers did not come from reptile scales, by the wind blowing through them or otherwise. (Did you ever hear such a stupid theory? But that's what they say!)

Comes down to facts. And as you see, the evidence is very persuasive.

Denton, again:

The stiff impervious property of the feather which makes it so beautiflul an adaptation for flight, depends basically on such a highly involved and unique system of co-adapted components that it seem impossible thatany transitional feather-like structure could possess even to a slight degree, the crucial properties.

And yet as you just learned, such intermediates exist today.

Barbara Stahl, in Vertebrate History: Problems in Evolution says, as far as feathers are concerned "How they arose initially. presumably from reptiles scales, defies analysis"

See above. Facts trump anyone's ignorance.

AND DID YOU KNOW THAT THERE ARE ABOUT 10 DIFFERENT TYPES OF FEATHER ON ANY GIVEN BIRD? How did they all arise since about 8 of them are not necessary for flying?

The transitional forms all have functions. Which explains why Denton's argument falls apart. Each could evolve to it's function, so that the last step (asymmetrical flight feathers) would be a very small change from the symmetrical pennate feather.

And now you know.

Barbarian observes:

No, they had been selected out a long. long time ago before flight arose, and because of that, flight COULD NOT HAVE ARISEN.

As you see, that's not the case.

Did you know that the article refers to a dinosaur the size of an elephant? No? Did you think it could fly? Ha ha haaaaah!

It simply had the avian respiratory system. So it didn't have to evolve in birds. It was already there.

Try this one for size:
http://discovermagazine.com/2003/feb.../#.UVQv7Te1va4

Feduccia there says birds evolved from reptiles. Are you now admitting the fact?

thank god barb you like typing.

we see feathers, we ask where did they come from? nothing, anywhere else points to "poof there it is", so why would feathers?
it is simple, look at all the different cell in a body. no way a bone, a tooth, and eye, could havecome from that one cell.

It is very similar to evolution. Noway a person could come from that one big bang.

I learnt parables like that from Jesus, aint he great stuff.

Sparrow, this guy asyncritus is aggressive. Can I begin to respond in kind to his BS? you know where it will end?

Meatballsub said:
Stovebolts said:
Do you have evidence that both the cat and dog came from the same family?
Sure, let me find the video from the phylogeny student who did an entire 2 video series of the split.
That would be great. I would be very interested in seeing it. I am still learning in this area and would like to extend my understanding of the subject.

Meatballsub said:
I mostly asked for the information because you were stating that the "information" had changed. I was just wondering if you knew what you meant by information. Cats also didn't come from the family Canidea. They originated from the family Felidea. What we see with why Cats and Dogs can't interbreed is actually due to chromosomes. Because cats and Dogs have adapted and mutations have occurred through sexual isolation, both species have modified their gametes to the point where they wouldn't line up genetically any more. Now the information isn't lost because we can still see in their sequences where they both relate in both being Mammalian carnivores.

Your a bit ahead of me on the subject and obviously understand the material better than I. From that perspective I hope I can glean from you. That being said, the way I understand the changes in the chromosomes your describing is that it is basically a restructuring of the genetic information that is already there. Now then, this is just a guess, but I would imagine that the chromosomes would be radically different from a dog than a cat. Or better put, I'll bet the chromosomes are radically different between Canini and Felidea. In other words, you couldn't simply restructure a chromosome from Felidea and come up with Canini.

You said earlier that the "cat" and "dog" came from the same family and I do hope you'll find the video. But if you can't restructure the chromosome from a cat to produce a dog, then something is missing isn't it? If this is true, then wouldn't we agree that a loss of information occurred? As I said earlier, I"m learning and I'd like to hear your perspective.

Meatballsub said:
I understand that genetics is a marvel and very fascinating, and at times very hard to grasp. That is the wonder. I understand that you think God did that, and I don't mind at all. I really don't mind. I'm just the guy saying, "well this is what we understand so far".

I'll admit this is a completely new field of study for me and yes, I'm finding it very fascinating.

Sparrow, this guy asyncritus is aggressive. Can I begin to respond in kind to his BS? you know where it will end?

Yu two guys are doing the right thing now.

Lurking readers can actually gain much education from this discussion.
As the objections to ToE are presented, and the respnses refer us to the facts which science uses to see things in support of the theory, the Truth emerges for those people who understand that Truth is lord:

Mat 18:20

For where two or three are gathered together in my name(Truth: [ John 14:6]), there am I, (Truth), in the midst of them.

Is Evolution mindless,...
... now that man can image the God-of-the-living mentally, conceiving his ways, understanding His Natural Laws, and cooperating with him?

Is it now mindful, as Stem Cells and genetic engineering produce new crops to support mankind as the dominant creature in the world, and medicine grows new organs, and comuters become amalgamated with the conscious intellect, and animals and live stock are hybridized as has been done with fruit to create new species???

Is Evolution mindless,...
... now that man can image the God-of-the-living mentally, conceiving his ways, understanding His Natural Laws, and cooperating with him?

Is it now mindful, as Stem Cells and genetic engineering produce new crops to support mankind as the dominant creature in the world, and medicine grows new organs, and comuters become amalgamated with the conscious intellect, and animals and live stock are hybridized as has been done with fruit to create new species???

I'm originally from the great Northwest and in my younger days drove a wheat truck in the farms of SE Washington. Back in the 90's a bumper crop was considered anything above 90 bushels an acre. To my astonishment, a "normal" and expected crop is about 110 bushels an acre. This in itself gives us proof that genetic re-engineering of our food source is possible and is being done on a large scale.

Now then, what I would like to look at is the trend of gluten allergies. If you look at the trend, it is one step behind the genetic modification of our wheat production. As bushels per acre goes up, so does gluten allergies.

From a livestock perspective, we see that as they increase the hormone levels to produce bigger, faster growing livestock, our teenagers are maturing earlier. If it's true that we are what we eat, then what type of new species will be become?

In the same breath I'd like to add that when we hybred a crop or livestock, what we have done is removed part of it's genetic diversity so another genetic trait can flourish. Is it really a good idea to get more of less because essentially, that's what we're doing when we genetically modify our food source.

You might just find this an interesting article...

http://www.ibtimes.com/monsanto-pro...ng-things-know-about-hr-933-provision-1156079

Last edited by a moderator:
That's because you really don't know what evolutionary theory says. Two key points:

1. Evolution never produces something out of nothing. It's always a modification of something that was already there.

2. Preadaptation is an important element in evolution, and has been since Darwin.

You are begging the question about whether evolution did take place. That is not allowed. You are required to prove that it did, and so far all you have managed to do is beg the question.

I've asked you several times to spend a little effort to learn what biology is about. It would be very useful to you.
Perhaps you should learn a little bit about logic and argumentation, instead of question begging all the time. I repeat, you have tp prove that it did occur, not make the silly and unwarranted assumption that it did.

No. For example, the forelimbs of bipedal dinosaurs, particularly those with feathers, were very useful of organs of balance and control. The feathers along with flapping movements, permit control and balance. We see this in ostriches today. So flying was an elaboration of something already in place.
Several points here.

1 Did dinosaurs have feathers - flight feathers? Or were they all Archaeoraptor-type fakes?

2 Control and balance do not constitute flight. Ostriches are therefore inadmissible as evidence of anything, since a. they cannot fly, and b. lack a keel, to which the large flight muscles are attached, as you may or may not know.

Why introduce control and balance, when they are irrelevancies as far as being able to take off are concerned? Easy, you have nothing constructive to say on the subject of the origin of flight itself. No ostrich can take off, so I again point out the irrelevancy of your 'argument'.

And in case you haven't noticed, the wing of a bird is not simply a forelimb with feathers attached. It is a properly shaped aerofoil. Do you know what that is? Perhaps you'd like to tell us, and then account for how a reptile forelimb became a correctly shaped aerofoil.

Barbarian observes:
Bipedal dinosaurs, as you learned, would use their forelimbs as organs of balance in running.... So the motions were already there, used to a slightly different purpose.
As I said, you need a bit of training in logic.

We have

1 bipedal dinosaurs

2 with balancing forelimbs

3 which, like ostriches, run.

The subject of the origin of flight itself, is conspicuously absent from anything you have yet written, apart from the quite foolish claim that "ostriches use their rudimentary wings to control their movement while running, in the same way that flying birds control their flight."

Nice try - but what is the connection between flightless ostriches and flying birds? Answer: none.

Running, once more, is NOT flying - but all this biology you think you know should have taught you this by now. Clearly it hasn't, or maybe you don't know the difference, and weren't taught it in whatever courses you went on.

So let me help you.

When running, the creatures' feet are ON THE GROUND, only leaving it briefly. When flying, the birds' feet DO NOT TOUCH THE GROUND, for considerable lengths of times as you should know by now. If you don't, I can recommend a few good textbooks on the subject if you like.

So running and flying are fundamentally different methods of locomotion - flying being by far the more technical and advanced method. Now can we stop this foolishness about a flightless bird being able to show that balance and control are somehow linked to flight? If it can't fly, then it cannot teach a flyer how to fly.

Simple isn't it?
Well, let's take a look...
... They found the ostriches used wings as sophisticatedair-rudders for rapid braking, turning and zigzag maneuvers. Experiments thatplaced ostrich feathers in streams of air showed they could indeed provide lift,which would come in handy for animals that did fly.
So we have wings which are 'rudders', 'brakes' 'maneuvering equipment'. I see nothing there about FLYING EQUIPMENT. But I do see something quite stupid there about 'coming in handy for animals that did fly'.
Do these people actually think that flightless birds were lined up there, learning how they could fly? Prize stupidity if you ask me! And what does that say about you, swallowing this guff? I leave it up to you.

"You have to stop thinking about their wings as flightorgans and as stabilizers instead," Schaller said. "Think about whenyou run around a curb — you use your arms, too, a little like the ostrichesdo."
Ostrich wings are stabilisers, says Schaller. Did you get that? No? Well, they have nothing to do with flight, that's for sure. So again I ask you, what are you doing bringing the subject of flightless ostrich stabilisation in a discussion about flight? I know - you haven't anything else to say. Too bad.
...execute rapid zigzagging as a means of escape, and use their wings to maintainbalance during these agile maneuvers," Schaller explained.
Great. So what does that have to do with the evolution of flight?

This is why flight in birds is different than in other flying creatures. It uses a unique movement of the shoulder to flap.
If it is unique, then that means that there is no other like it. Therefore it didn't evolve from anything, but was created as is. Agreed?

...half flapping may have evolved into an ability to fly.
Did you see the word MAY there? That means its most improbable, if not foolishly so. Do you really subscribe to this nonsense?
...Even before their wings develop enough to fly, some living birds use them to improve traction and gain speed. Dial studied birds, like partridges, capable of only limited flight. Energetically, "It's a lot cheaper to run than fly," Dial said. So these baby birds, with big feet & powerful legs, use them in combination with their wings, first to stay balanced and grounded, then to take on steeper and steeper inclines. ..."The wings help them stick to the ground," said Dial. The wings only come into play on steep angles because at about a 50 - 60 degree incline the birds start slipping..... "They use their wings like spoilers on a race car, to give their feet better traction," he said. ..Use of this wing-assisted running doesn't stop when the birds are old enough to fly....
http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/554notes2.html
This is ridiculous nonsense. The 'birds' or is it reptiles, HAVE WINGS! Why do they have them, if they can't fly with them?

EVERYTHING is different.

Turns out, it's the same thing, just adapted slightly to a different way of moving.
Slightly? Running and flying are SLIGHTLY different? You really need a refresher course in the biology and aerodynamics of flight in birds.

These hopeful reptiles with feathers CANNOT FLY! GLIDING AND FLYING AND RUNNING are entirely different things. Do go and take an elementary course on the subject of the differences. Then perhaps we can talk sensibly.

See above. Same motions.
Barbarian, when a reptile runs, the forelimbs move forward and backwards, like our own. When a bird flies, the wings move vertically up and down. That is a completely different kind of movement. You should know better, and not allow this prejudice to blind you.

It's no use saying that the instincts already existed. They would, as I have pointed out, been selected out when they were of no use as yet.

You see the flight motions in ostriches, which cannot fly. And these are anatomically the same as the shoulders and arms of running dinosaurs.
But that is not flying. Dinosaurs and ostriches can't fly - so please stop parading there irrelevancies. And if ostriches have wings then they cannot be the same as the articulation of a dinosaur's forelimbs.

Have you read the stupid article? I doubt it. Imagine saying that ostriches which cannot fly, could be the precursors of birds which can! Sure, they may stabilise themselves with their rudimentary wings, but as you should know by now, stabilisation and flight are 2 entirely different things.

But it's not stabilization. It's using the wings to control movement and change direction. Didn't you read the article?
Clearly you didn't, because that is exactly what Schaller said the wings did. Here: "You have to stop thinking about their wings as flightorgans and as stabilizers instead,"

I always suspected that you only lifted large chunks without reading them. Now here's proof positive of that.

I
n fact, we can make feathers develop from scutes (specialized scales found on dinosaurs, bird legs, and crocodiles)

Drs. Hongyan Zou and Lee Niswander...identical to crocodilian scales both in composition and their location on the DNA strand.
http://www.skeptive.com/sources/66982/source_urls/235148
I fail to see how this bears on the evolution of feathers from scales. At some time in evolutionary history, do you see any PhD's from China injecting proteins and whatnot into the reptilian ancestors of the birds? I haven't heard of any - but doubtless you can produce a P-A--P---E---RRR THAT SHOWS FOSSILISED CHINESE injecting antibodies into alligators to turn them into birds? Ha ha haaaaahhhh!

But the simplest feathers lack all of this. And there are gradual intermediate forms between the simplest filament feather, and highly evolved flight feathers.
Learn about it here:
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/studying/feathers/feathers
As I said, there are about 10 different types of feathers on any given bird. Are you saying that they all evolved from one another? Come, Barbarian, not even you can swallow all that nonsense.

Comes down to facts. And as you see, the evidence is very persuasive.
Facts? What facts?

Denton, again:

The stiff impervious property of the feather which makes it so beautiflul an adaptation for flight, depends basically on such a highly involved and unique system of co-adapted components that it seem impossible that any transitional feather-like structure could possess even to a slight degree, the crucial properties.
And yet as you just learned, such intermediates exist today.
Where?

See above. Facts trump anyone's ignorance.
Consider your ignorance trumped.

The transitional forms all have functions. Which explains why Denton's argument falls apart. Each could evolve to it's function, so that the last step (asymmetrical flight feathers) would be a very small change from the symmetrical pennate feather.
Ha hah haaahhh! And that's PINNATE, spelt with an I, not an E.

And now you know.
And so should you.

Barbarian observes:
As shown above, this is total nonsense.

As you see, that's not the case.
You've just begged the question again.

It simply had the avian respiratory system. So it didn't have to evolve in birds. It was already there.
Whether it was or not, is highly dubious to me. And if you would care to explain how an elephant-sized dinosaur begot a sparrow sized bird, I'd like to hear.

Try this one for size:
http://discovermagazine.com/2003/feb.../#.UVQv7Te1va4

Feduccia there says birds evolved from reptiles. Are you now admitting the fact?

No, merely pointing out that there are grounds for disagreement. Wouldn't you agree?

Last edited by a moderator:

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back