Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Is Evolution "Mindless"?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
lmao bolts.

disagreement? feathers.

we list the observations. then we make a claim, how feathers form. make a "story" of how theyformed.

what is your list of evidence for how they formed?

focus on the claim, not the disagreements.

what's your evidence in how they formed. Please, stay away from "itcouldn't have formed by...". what is your evidence for how you claim theyform?

Is Evolution mindless,...
... now that man can image the God-of-the-living mentally, conceiving his ways, understanding His Natural Laws, and cooperating with him?

Is it now mindful, as Stem Cells and genetic engineering produce new crops to support mankind as the dominant creature in the world, and medicine grows new organs, and comuters become amalgamated with the conscious intellect, and animals and live stock are hybridized as has been done with fruit to create new species???

I'm originally from the great Northwest and in my younger days drove a wheat truck in the farms of SE Washington. Back in the 90's a bumper crop was considered anything above 90 bushels an acre. To my astonishment, a "normal" and expected crop is about 110 bushels an acre. This in itself gives us proof that genetic re-engineering of our food source is possible and is being done on a large scale.

Now then, what I would like to look at is the trend of gluten allergies. If you look at the trend, it is one step behind the genetic modification of our wheat production. As bushels per acre goes up, so does gluten allergies.

From a livestock perspective, we see that as they increase the hormone levels to produce bigger, faster growing livestock, our teenagers are maturing earlier. If it's true that we are what we eat, then what type of new species will be become?

In the same breath I'd like to add that when we hybred a crop or livestock, what we have done is removed part of it's genetic diversity so another genetic trait can flourish. Is it really a good idea to get more of less because essentially, that's what we're doing when we genetically modify our food source.

I would guess that what we are doing is better for the extra billion peple now living as the population has grwn on Earth in the last 50 years t the extent that 6.66 Billion humans now demand goods and services.
But it hasn't been good for the animals with whom man was supposed to "replenish the earth:"

human_extinction.JPG

But these are the things an eucated society with the right religious principles needs focus on.

lmao bolts.

disagreement? feathers.

we list the observations. then we make a claim, how feathers form. make a "story" of how theyformed.

what's your evidence in how they formed. Please, stay away from "itcouldn't have formed by...". what is your evidence for how you claim theyform?

I think you misunderstood me friend. We can observe natural selection, mutations and adaptation taking place around us. We see this all the time. As I asked Meatballsub earlier, it would be interesting to see his video on how "cats" and "dogs" came from the same family so I can better understand. From there I made the point that from a genetic point of view, the chromosomes of cats lacked the genetic information to construct a dog. Why? Because we are not talking about mutation or adaptation or natural selection at this point. We are simply talking about the capability of the chromosome which stores the genetic information needed to construct an animal. My point was simply that the further down the track we got from the original source the more genetic information that is lost.

As far as feathers, it is purported that birds evolved from dinosaurs. If this is true, then the chromosomes would have had to have had the genetic information to construct a feather where previously there was no feather. This means that either new genetic information would have had to of been added to the chromosome or the genetic information would have had to of been reorganized to construct a feather. If it was a simple restructuring of genetic dna, then scientists should at least theoretically be able to reverse engineer a bird to it's primary state of being a dinosaur.

Anyway, I"m waiting for MeatballSub to reply as this whole realm is simply fascinating to me as I learn all this new stuff.

As far as how,

Genesis 1:20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

We see that God empowered the waters to bring them forth through His mighty Word.

That would be great. I would be very interested in seeing it. I am still learning in this area and would like to extend my understanding of the subject.

Your a bit ahead of me on the subject and obviously understand the material better than I. From that perspective I hope I can glean from you. That being said, the way I understand the changes in the chromosomes your describing is that it is basically a restructuring of the genetic information that is already there. Now then, this is just a guess, but I would imagine that the chromosomes would be radically different from a dog than a cat. Or better put, I'll bet the chromosomes are radically different between Canini and Felidea. In other words, you couldn't simply restructure a chromosome from Felidea and come up with Canini.

You said earlier that the "cat" and "dog" came from the same family and I do hope you'll find the video. But if you can't restructure the chromosome from a cat to produce a dog, then something is missing isn't it? If this is true, then wouldn't we agree that a loss of information occurred? As I said earlier, I"m learning and I'd like to hear your perspective.

Meatballsub said:
I understand that genetics is a marvel and very fascinating, and at times very hard to grasp. That is the wonder. I understand that you think God did that, and I don't mind at all. I really don't mind. I'm just the guy saying, "well this is what we understand so far".

I'll admit this is a completely new field of study for me and yes, I'm finding it very fascinating.

Here is the Felidea and Canidea videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNrt90MJL08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ-DawQKPr8

Here are 2 videos on Phylogeny to better explain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91UAzMNUDLU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH8LOQAu-5I

That would be great. I would be very interested in seeing it. I am still learning in this area and would like to extend my understanding of the subject.

Your a bit ahead of me on the subject and obviously understand the material better than I. From that perspective I hope I can glean from you. That being said, the way I understand the changes in the chromosomes your describing is that it is basically a restructuring of the genetic information that is already there. Now then, this is just a guess, but I would imagine that the chromosomes would be radically different from a dog than a cat. Or better put, I'll bet the chromosomes are radically different between Canini and Felidea. In other words, you couldn't simply restructure a chromosome from Felidea and come up with Canini.

You said earlier that the "cat" and "dog" came from the same family and I do hope you'll find the video. But if you can't restructure the chromosome from a cat to produce a dog, then something is missing isn't it? If this is true, then wouldn't we agree that a loss of information occurred? As I said earlier, I"m learning and I'd like to hear your perspective.

Meatballsub said:
I understand that genetics is a marvel and very fascinating, and at times very hard to grasp. That is the wonder. I understand that you think God did that, and I don't mind at all. I really don't mind. I'm just the guy saying, "well this is what we understand so far".

I'll admit this is a completely new field of study for me and yes, I'm finding it very fascinating.

Here is the Felidea and Canidea videos.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNrt90MJL08
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ-DawQKPr8

Here are 2 videos on Phylogeny to better explain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91UAzMNUDLU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH8LOQAu-5I

Thanks for the links, I'll make sure I watch them all. I have a 3 day weekend coming up so it will be hit and miss (as usual) when my schedule allows me to return.

Barbarian observes:
That's because you really don't know what evolutionary theory says. Two key points:

1. Evolution never produces something out of nothing. It's always a modification of something that was already there.

2. Preadaptation is an important element in evolution, and has been since Darwin.

You are begging the question about whether evolution did take place.

It's observed daily in labs. No one doubts that it happens.

Barbarian suggests:
I've asked you several times to spend a little effort to learn what biology is about. It would be very useful to you.

Perhaps you should learn a little bit about logic and argumentation

I find facts very effective, it's why you bailed out of all those threads as the evidence piled up.

Barbarian observes:
No. For example, the forelimbs of bipedal dinosaurs, particularly those with feathers, were very useful of organs of balance and control. The feathers along with flapping movements, permit control and balance. We see this in ostriches today. So flying was an elaboration of something already in place.

Several points here.
1 Did dinosaurs have feathers

Yes, some of them did.

flight feathers?

Yes, some of them did.

2 Control and balance do not constitute flight.

They just constitute the structures and behaviors necessary for flight to evolve.

Ostriches are therefore inadmissible as evidence of anything

They merely demonstrate that the structures and behaviors necessary for flight predated flying birds. Which is all evolution needs.

And in case you haven't noticed, the wing of a bird is not simply a forelimb with feathers attached. It is a properly shaped aerofoil.

No. Unlike other flying organisms, the feathers constitute the airfoil. The limb itself is not at all aerodynamic. Hence the importance of the preadaptation of feathered bipedal dinosaurs. They already had the structures necessary for flight, and were using them as a bird uses a wing.

Do you know what that is? Perhaps you'd like to tell us, and then account for how a reptile forelimb became a correctly shaped aerofoil.

New, long-term observations of hand-raised ostriches, model calculations and air-stream experiments have shown that these flightless birds can efficiently channel aerodynamic forces and consistently use their wings during rapid breaking, turning and zigzag manoeuvres.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100630213614.htm

Ostriches have essentially the same shoulder and limb structure as the feathered limbs of dinosaurs. And the wings function as airfoils. It's not surprising that such limbs would become more efficient over time.

Barbarian observes:
Bipedal dinosaurs, as you learned, would use their forelimbs as organs of balance in running But we now know that many of them in the line leading to birds, were also feathered, so that same motion would then be used to control the movement of the animals while running. As you know, ostriches use their rudimentary wings to control their movement while running, in the same way that flying birds control their flight. So the motions were already there, used to a slightly different purpose.

As I said, you need a bit of training in logic.

Rather, you need some evidence for your beliefs, so you aren't reduced to making generic complains about "logic."

We have:
1 bipedal dinosaurs

2 with balancing forelimbs

Feathered forelimbs, capable of performing as airfoils as those of ostriches do.

The subject of the origin of flight itself, is conspicuously absent from anything you have yet written, apart from the quite foolish claim that "ostriches use their rudimentary wings to control their movement while running, in the same way that flying birds control their flight."

It's a matter of direct observation. Bipedal vertebrates, with feathered forlimbs, use them as airfoils to balance and change direction.

but what is the connection between flightless ostriches and flying birds?

They use the same structures, with the same motions, to effect movement.

So running and flying are fundamentally different methods of locomotion

As you learned, the use of feathered upper limbs by dinosaurs and ostriches use the same structures and the same movements as those of birds. So flying was merely an adaptation, using structures and behaviors already present.

Simple isn't it?

Yep.

Barbarian suggests:
Well, let's take a look...
... They found the ostriches used wings as sophisticated air-rudders for rapid braking, turning and zigzag maneuvers. Experiments that placed ostrich feathers in streams of air showed they could indeed provide lift,which would come in handy for animals that did fly.

So we have wings which are 'rudders', 'brakes' 'maneuvering equipment'. I see nothing there about FLYING EQUIPMENT.

As you learned, flying was just an adaptation of things already in existence. As dinosaurs became smaller, they were able to first get some lift from their wings, and some became small enough to fly.

..execute rapid zigzagging as a means of escape, and use their wings to maintainbalance during these agile maneuvers," Schaller explained.

Great. So what does that have to do with the evolution of flight?

Birds used the same structures, in the same way when they fly. So your question about how did all that evolve, is answered. It's just an adaptation of things already there.

Barbarian observes:
This is why flight in birds is different than in other flying creatures. It uses a unique movement of the shoulder to flap.

If it is unique, then that means that there is no other like it.

Unique among flying organisms.

Therefore it didn't evolve from anything, but was created as is. Agreed?

As you learned, the evidence shows it is merely an adaptation of things already present in feathered dinosaurs.

This is ridiculous nonsense. The 'birds' or is it reptiles, HAVE WINGS! Why do they have them, if they can't fly with them?

Turns out that they can be used just like bird wings, as airfoils to maneuver.

EVERYTHING is different.

Except the bones, feathers, motions, forces...

Turns out, it's the same thing, just adapted slightly to a different way of moving.

Slightly? Running and flying are SLIGHTLY different?

Yep. As you learned, the flying motions of a bird are essentially the same as those for a running vertebrate with feathered forelimbs.

To move an arm backward and forward requires different musculature and innervation and anatomy to that required to move a wing up and down especially in the figure-8 movement characteristic of flight.

Already present. The shoulders of ostriches and feathered bipedal dinosaurs permitted such motions. The transitional dinosaur/bird Archaeopteryx has a slightly more mobile joint, but is is much more like that of dinosaurs than like modern birds. No great restructuring needed for that.

Barbarian, when a reptile runs, the forelimbs move forward and backwards, like our own.

Turns out you're wrong about feathered bipedal dinosaurs. Their shoulder joint is very different than the shoulder of modern reptiles.

When a bird flies, the wings move vertically up and down.

That would produce a net lift of zero. It's more interesting than that. Would you like to learn about it, and see why it fits the movements of cursorial feathered bipeds like dinosaurs and ostriches?

It's no use saying that the instincts already existed.

As you learned they already existed, and were simply adapted to a new use.

You see the flight motions in ostriches, which cannot fly. And these are anatomically the same as the shoulders and arms of running dinosaurs.
But that is not flying.

It just demonstrates that the flying motions of birds were already present and were merely adapted to a new purpose.

And if ostriches have wings then they cannot be the same as the articulation of a dinosaur's forelimbs.

Bad assumption. Microraptor, for example, had wings, complete with assymetrical flight feathers.

Barbarian chuckles:
But it's not stabilization. It's using the wings to control movement and change direction. Didn't you read the article?

Clearly you didn't, because that is exactly what Schaller said the wings did.

After three years, when the ostriches were full-grown, thescientists video-recorded them as they raced down nearly 1,000-foot (300-meter)stretches outdoors. They found the ostriches used wings as sophisticatedair-rudders for rapid braking, turning and zigzag maneuvers. Experiments thatplaced ostrich feathers in streams of air showed they could indeed provide lift,which would come in handy for animals that did fly.
http://www.livescience.com/6657-ostrich-wings-explain-mystery-flightless-dinosaurs.html

Surprise.

I always suspected that you only lifted large chunks without reading them.

And now it turns out you did exactly that. The above was directly above the snippet you edited out to make it look as though ostriches don't use wings as airfoils.

Just BTW, have you ever looked at the structure of flight feathers? There is no way those could have evolved from reptilian scales.

As you learned earlier, scales can be induced to form feathers. And we have existing even today, a full range of intermediate feathers from simple filaments to complex flight feathers. It's rather perverse to deny what manifestly exists.

Scales can form feathers:
http://www.skeptive.com/sources/66982/source_urls/235148

Just look at the intricate binding and hear Denton on the point:
(Denton is apparently unaware of all the intermediate forms of feathers)

Poor fellah.

Comes down to facts. And as you see, the evidence is very persuasive.
Facts? What facts?

Denton, again:
The stiff impervious property of the feather which makes it so beautiflul an adaptation for flight, depends basically on such a highly involved and unique system of co-adapted components that it seem impossible that any transitional feather-like structure could possess even to a slight degree, the crucial properties.

Barbarian chuckles:
And yet as you just learned, such intermediates exist today.

Learn about it here:
A piece of amber formed of tree sap from 100 million years ago has preserved crucial evidence of feather evolution.

Evolution has long predicted the evolution of birds from reptiles, and recent discoveries of feathered dinosaurs has proved that model correct. However, the dinosaurs feathers found to date have been primitive in form, while bird fossils exhibit complex, barbed feathers required for flight.

This new fossil feathers, discovered in France, are intermediate in form between the simple downy feathers of early avian dinosaurs and the complex flight feathers of birds.

http://www.prehistoricplanet.com/news/index.php?id=43

Barbara Stahl, in Vertebrate History: Problems in Evolution says, as far as feathers are concerned "How they arose initially. presumably from reptiles scales, defies analysis"

Barbarian observes:
See above. Facts trump anyone's ignorance.

AND DID YOU KNOW THAT THERE ARE ABOUT 10 DIFFERENT TYPES OF FEATHER ON ANY GIVEN BIRD? How did they all arise since about 8 of them are not necessary for flying?

Barbarian observes:
The transitional forms all have functions. Which explains why Denton's argument falls apart. Each could evolve to it's function, so that the last step (asymmetrical flight feathers) would be a very small change from the symmetrical pennate feather.

Ha hah haaahhh! And that's PINNATE, spelt with an I, not an E.

Typo flame. Cool.

So where did the information come from?

Mutation and natural selection. Would you like me to show you how every new mutation produces new information in a population? The math is very straightforward.

Did you know that the article refers to a dinosaur the size of an elephant? No? Did you think it could fly? Ha ha haaaaah!

Barbarian chuckles:
It simply had the avian respiratory system. So it didn't have to evolve in birds. It was already there.

Whether it was or not, is highly dubious to me.

Doesn't matter. Facts are very resistant to wishes.

And if you would care to explain how an elephant-sized dinosaur begot a sparrow sized bird, I'd like to hear.

There was a continuing trend in many lines of dinosaurs to smaller ones. Would you like to learn about that?

(Async endorses the concept that birds and dinosaurs have a common ancestor)
http://discovermagazine.com/2003/feb.../#.UVQv7Te1va4

Feduccia there says birds evolved from reptiles. Are you now admitting the fact?

Then it's probably a mistake for you to cite his opinion that they did.

At one time, there was a very small chance that Feduccia was right, and birds and dinosaurs evolved from a common thecodont ancestor. But given the fossils found since then, it's too unlikely to get many to accept it.

But of course, either case would be inconsistent with your beliefs.

They merely demonstrate that the structures and behaviors necessary for flight predated flying birds.
Ostriches pre-date flying birds?
I did not know this. Barb, I will take your word for it, but am curious to find confirmation also, so that I have the word of more than one witness.

I was able to find this tidbit:
Moa were the world's only avian species without any vestige of a wing.

Genetic research has concluded that kiwi evolved from a Gondwana ancestor, that along with South American rhea and New Zealand moa diverged early in their evolution.

This places kiwi in the same group as Australia's emu and cassowary, and African ostrich, and probably flew to New Zealand about 40 million years ago.

Kiwi have vestigal wings, whereas moas had no wings whatsoever, indicating earlier divergence and the possibility of moa walking into New Zealand. Without ancient fossil evidence, the mystery of when moa became flightless, and how they reached New Zealand will be keenly debated.

New Zealand Ecology, "Flightless Birds," Copyright © 2010 TerraNature Trust. All rights reserved.
The idea that I take from that article is that the large flightless birds known as "moa" became flightless, not the other way around. This concept is supported by what I see in the very first sentence from another article, Flightless bird From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Flightless birds are birds that lack the ability to fly. These species rely on running and/or swimming instead of flying, but evolved from volant ancestors. [1]

FOOTNOTE:
[1]"New Zealand Ecology – Moa". TerraNature. Retrieved 2007-08-27.

In the larger view this conversation is about 'information' being 'added' and the method that evolution may have used. Reverse engineering takes talent that "mindless evolution" would not have the ability to foresee, therefore the ostrich, if they came after their volant ancestors (I learned a new term there, 'volant' Middle French, from Latin volant-, volans, present participle of volare to fly) would be excluded from support of evolution being un-directed by God.

Now, I know that isn't your argument, and that you believe that God had a part in this, for instance who "taught" the earth how to "bring forth" all the life that we see teeming before us both today and in the evidence we may gather from the past? Still, the point is the point and the question is, "Are you certain that flightless birds pre-dated that fly?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Barbarian observes:
That's because you really don't know what evolutionary theory says. Two key points:

1. Evolution never produces something out of nothing. It's always a modification of something that was already there.

2. Preadaptation is an important element in evolution, and has been since Darwin.

It's observed daily in labs. No one doubts that it happens.

Barbarian suggests:
I've asked you several times to spend a little effort to learn what biology is about. It would be very useful to you.

I find facts very effective, it's why you bailed out of all those threads as the evidence piled up.

Barbarian observes:
No. For example, the forelimbs of bipedal dinosaurs, particularly those with feathers, were very useful of organs of balance and control. The feathers along with flapping movements, permit control and balance. We see this in ostriches today. So flying was an elaboration of something already in place.

Yes, some of them did.

flight feathers?

Yes, some of them did.

2 Control and balance do not constitute flight.

They just constitute the structures and behaviors necessary for flight to evolve.

They merely demonstrate that the structures and behaviors necessary for flight predated flying birds. Which is all evolution needs.

And in case you haven't noticed, the wing of a bird is not simply a forelimb with feathers attached. It is a properly shaped aerofoil.

No. Unlike other flying organisms, the feathers constitute the airfoil. The limb itself is not at all aerodynamic. Hence the importance of the preadaptation of feathered bipedal dinosaurs. They already had the structures necessary for flight, and were using them as a bird uses a wing.

Do you know what that is? Perhaps you'd like to tell us, and then account for how a reptile forelimb became a correctly shaped aerofoil.

New, long-term observations of hand-raised ostriches, model calculations and air-stream experiments have shown that these flightless birds can efficiently channel aerodynamic forces and consistently use their wings during rapid breaking, turning and zigzag manoeuvres.
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/06/100630213614.htm

Ostriches have essentially the same shoulder and limb structure as the feathered limbs of dinosaurs. And the wings function as airfoils. It's not surprising that such limbs would become more efficient over time.

Barbarian observes:
Bipedal dinosaurs, as you learned, would use their forelimbs as organs of balance in running But we now know that many of them in the line leading to birds, were also feathered, so that same motion would then be used to control the movement of the animals while running. As you know, ostriches use their rudimentary wings to control their movement while running, in the same way that flying birds control their flight. So the motions were already there, used to a slightly different purpose.

As I said, you need a bit of training in logic.

Rather, you need some evidence for your beliefs, so you aren't reduced to making generic complains about "logic."

We have:
1 bipedal dinosaurs

2 with balancing forelimbs

Feathered forelimbs, capable of performing as airfoils as those of ostriches do.

The subject of the origin of flight itself, is conspicuously absent from anything you have yet written, apart from the quite foolish claim that "ostriches use their rudimentary wings to control their movement while running, in the same way that flying birds control their flight."

It's a matter of direct observation. Bipedal vertebrates, with feathered forlimbs, use them as airfoils to balance and change direction.

but what is the connection between flightless ostriches and flying birds?

They use the same structures, with the same motions, to effect movement.

So running and flying are fundamentally different methods of locomotion

As you learned, the use of feathered upper limbs by dinosaurs and ostriches use the same structures and the same movements as those of birds. So flying was merely an adaptation, using structures and behaviors already present.

Simple isn't it?

Yep.

Barbarian suggests:
... They found the ostriches used wings as sophisticated air-rudders for rapid braking, turning and zigzag maneuvers. Experiments that placed ostrich feathers in streams of air showed they could indeed provide lift,which would come in handy for animals that did fly.

So we have wings which are 'rudders', 'brakes' 'maneuvering equipment'. I see nothing there about FLYING EQUIPMENT.

As you learned, flying was just an adaptation of things already in existence. As dinosaurs became smaller, they were able to first get some lift from their wings, and some became small enough to fly.

..execute rapid zigzagging as a means of escape, and use their wings to maintainbalance during these agile maneuvers," Schaller explained.

Great. So what does that have to do with the evolution of flight?

Birds used the same structures, in the same way when they fly. So your question about how did all that evolve, is answered. It's just an adaptation of things already there.

Barbarian observes:
This is why flight in birds is different than in other flying creatures. It uses a unique movement of the shoulder to flap.

If it is unique, then that means that there is no other like it.

Unique among flying organisms.

Therefore it didn't evolve from anything, but was created as is. Agreed?

As you learned, the evidence shows it is merely an adaptation of things already present in feathered dinosaurs.

This is ridiculous nonsense. The 'birds' or is it reptiles, HAVE WINGS! Why do they have them, if they can't fly with them?

Turns out that they can be used just like bird wings, as airfoils to maneuver.

EVERYTHING is different.

Except the bones, feathers, motions, forces...

Turns out, it's the same thing, just adapted slightly to a different way of moving.

Slightly? Running and flying are SLIGHTLY different?

Yep. As you learned, the flying motions of a bird are essentially the same as those for a running vertebrate with feathered forelimbs.

To move an arm backward and forward requires different musculature and innervation and anatomy to that required to move a wing up and down especially in the figure-8 movement characteristic of flight.

Already present. The shoulders of ostriches and feathered bipedal dinosaurs permitted such motions. The transitional dinosaur/bird Archaeopteryx has a slightly more mobile joint, but is is much more like that of dinosaurs than like modern birds. No great restructuring needed for that.

Barbarian, when a reptile runs, the forelimbs move forward and backwards, like our own.

Turns out you're wrong about feathered bipedal dinosaurs. Their shoulder joint is very different than the shoulder of modern reptiles.

When a bird flies, the wings move vertically up and down.

That would produce a net lift of zero. It's more interesting than that. Would you like to learn about it, and see why it fits the movements of cursorial feathered bipeds like dinosaurs and ostriches?

It's no use saying that the instincts already existed.

As you learned they already existed, and were simply adapted to a new use.

You see the flight motions in ostriches, which cannot fly. And these are anatomically the same as the shoulders and arms of running dinosaurs.
But that is not flying.

It just demonstrates that the flying motions of birds were already present and were merely adapted to a new purpose.

And if ostriches have wings then they cannot be the same as the articulation of a dinosaur's forelimbs.

Bad assumption. Microraptor, for example, had wings, complete with assymetrical flight feathers.

Barbarian chuckles:
But it's not stabilization. It's using the wings to control movement and change direction. Didn't you read the article?

Clearly you didn't, because that is exactly what Schaller said the wings did.

After three years, when the ostriches were full-grown, thescientists video-recorded them as they raced down nearly 1,000-foot (300-meter)stretches outdoors. They found the ostriches used wings as sophisticatedair-rudders for rapid braking, turning and zigzag maneuvers. Experiments thatplaced ostrich feathers in streams of air showed they could indeed provide lift,which would come in handy for animals that did fly.
http://www.livescience.com/6657-ostrich-wings-explain-mystery-flightless-dinosaurs.html

Surprise.

I always suspected that you only lifted large chunks without reading them.

And now it turns out you did exactly that. The above was directly above the snippet you edited out to make it look as though ostriches don't use wings as airfoils.

Just BTW, have you ever looked at the structure of flight feathers? There is no way those could have evolved from reptilian scales.

As you learned earlier, scales can be induced to form feathers. And we have existing even today, a full range of intermediate feathers from simple filaments to complex flight feathers. It's rather perverse to deny what manifestly exists.

Scales can form feathers:
http://www.skeptive.com/sources/66982/source_urls/235148

Just look at the intricate binding and hear Denton on the point:
(Denton is apparently unaware of all the intermediate forms of feathers)

Poor fellah.

Comes down to facts. And as you see, the evidence is very persuasive.
Facts? What facts?

Denton, again:
The stiff impervious property of the feather which makes it so beautiflul an adaptation for flight, depends basically on such a highly involved and unique system of co-adapted components that it seem impossible that any transitional feather-like structure could possess even to a slight degree, the crucial properties.

Barbarian chuckles:
And yet as you just learned, such intermediates exist today.

Learn about it here:
A piece of amber formed of tree sap from 100 million years ago has preserved crucial evidence of feather evolution.

Evolution has long predicted the evolution of birds from reptiles, and recent discoveries of feathered dinosaurs has proved that model correct. However, the dinosaurs feathers found to date have been primitive in form, while bird fossils exhibit complex, barbed feathers required for flight.

This new fossil feathers, discovered in France, are intermediate in form between the simple downy feathers of early avian dinosaurs and the complex flight feathers of birds.

http://www.prehistoricplanet.com/news/index.php?id=43

Barbara Stahl, in Vertebrate History: Problems in Evolution says, as far as feathers are concerned "How they arose initially. presumably from reptiles scales, defies analysis"

Barbarian observes:
See above. Facts trump anyone's ignorance.

AND DID YOU KNOW THAT THERE ARE ABOUT 10 DIFFERENT TYPES OF FEATHER ON ANY GIVEN BIRD? How did they all arise since about 8 of them are not necessary for flying?

Barbarian observes:
The transitional forms all have functions. Which explains why Denton's argument falls apart. Each could evolve to it's function, so that the last step (asymmetrical flight feathers) would be a very small change from the symmetrical pennate feather.

Ha hah haaahhh! And that's PINNATE, spelt with an I, not an E.

Typo flame. Cool.

So where did the information come from?

Mutation and natural selection. Would you like me to show you how every new mutation produces new information in a population? The math is very straightforward.

Did you know that the article refers to a dinosaur the size of an elephant? No? Did you think it could fly? Ha ha haaaaah!

Barbarian chuckles:
It simply had the avian respiratory system. So it didn't have to evolve in birds. It was already there.

Whether it was or not, is highly dubious to me.

Doesn't matter. Facts are very resistant to wishes.

And if you would care to explain how an elephant-sized dinosaur begot a sparrow sized bird, I'd like to hear.

There was a continuing trend in many lines of dinosaurs to smaller ones. Would you like to learn about that?

(Async endorses the concept that birds and dinosaurs have a common ancestor)
http://discovermagazine.com/2003/feb.../#.UVQv7Te1va4

Feduccia there says birds evolved from reptiles. Are you now admitting the fact?

Then it's probably a mistake for you to cite his opinion that they did.

At one time, there was a very small chance that Feduccia was right, and birds and dinosaurs evolved from a common thecodont ancestor. But given the fossils found since then, it's too unlikely to get many to accept it.

But of course, either case would be inconsistent with your beliefs.

lmao barb,
you go.

As far as how,

Genesis 1:20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.

We see that God empowered the waters to bring them forth through His mighty Word.

But did the "waters" obey this by means of individual "separate Spontaneous Generations" of each species or kind, one by one, millions of times, for enumerable "kinds," or did the waters Spontaneously Generate the first srpouts of life on Earth, which then evolved into the diversified kinds that have existed?

Ostriches pre-date flying birds?

Rather, they have structures that pre-date flying birds. They probably did have flying ancestors; genetically, they are close to certain flying birds. But since flying motions are the same motions that word for using wings as airfoils on the ground, it really wasn't much of a change for them.

The point is that they are more like bipedal dinosaurs in their behavior, and the details of shoulder structure and running behavior show it.

I was able to find this tidbit:
Moa were the world's only avian species without any vestige of a wing.

Genetic research has concluded that kiwi evolved from a Gondwana ancestor, that along with South American rhea and New Zealand moa diverged early in their evolution.

Moas likewise must have had flying ancestors, since they got to an island arc produced by volcanoes, with no possible land bridge.

This places kiwi in the same group as Australia's emu and cassowary, and African ostrich, and probably flew to New Zealand about 40 million years ago.

(Barbarian checks)

Looks like it. Moa DNA seems to fit with ratites.

Kiwi have vestigal wings, whereas moas had no wings whatsoever, indicating earlier divergence and the possibility of moa walking into New Zealand. Without ancient fossil evidence, the mystery of when moa became flightless, and how they reached New Zealand will be keenly debated.

No way to walk there, even if the seas were much, much lower than the lowest levels recorded.

In the larger view this conversation is about 'information' being 'added' and the method that evolution may have used. Reverse engineering takes talent that "mindless evolution" would not have the ability to foresee,

Fortunately, forsight is not necessary for evolution to increase fitness. We can talk about that, if you like.

therefore the ostrich, if they came after their volant ancestors (I learned a new term there, 'volant' Middle French, from Latin volant-, volans, present participle of volare to fly) would be excluded from support of evolution being un-directed by God.

Don't see how. All that was necessary was a lack of credible ground predators, and no mammalian grazing animals. That would tend to reward increasing size, and of course, remove the need for flight.

Now, I know that isn't your argument, and that you believe that God had a part in this, for instance who "taught" the earth how to "bring forth" all the life that we see teeming before us both today and in the evidence we may gather from the past? Still, the point is the point and the question is, "Are you certain that flightless birds pre-dated that fly?"

That wasn't my point, although it's possible that the first birds didn't fly, depending of course, on what you want to call a bird. And small dinosaurs like Microrapter could fly at least a little. Mostly dinosaur/somewhat avian animals like Archaeopteryx could certainly fly.

species or kind

As you have learned, the words species and kind may not be used interchangeably in the context of the Scripture or Hebrew word, "min" or "miyn". "Species" is from Latin and it does not carry the same very limited meaning of the word "kind" as used in the Bible. The error is compounded when the reference includes "millions" of anything. Hebrew does not have such a word. Further there are no "enumerable" kinds listed in the Bible, but in direct contrast to what you say, the various "kinds" have been enumerated quite well in four (4) different chapters of the Bible. You will recall that I've asked if you knew how many "kinds" the Bible referenced in the past, and my question was dodged.

lmao bolts.

disagreement? feathers.

I think you misunderstood me friend. We can observe natural selection, mutations and adaptation taking place around us. We see this all the time. As I asked Meatballsub earlier, it would be interesting to see his video on how "cats" and "dogs" came from the same family so I can better understand. From there I made the point that from a genetic point of view, the chromosomes of cats lacked the genetic information to construct a dog. Why? Because we are not talking about mutation or adaptation or natural selection at this point. We are simply talking about the capability of the chromosome which stores the genetic information needed to construct an animal. My point was simply that the further down the track we got from the original source the more genetic information that is lost.

As far as feathers, it is purported that birds evolved from dinosaurs. If this is true, then the chromosomes would have had to have had the genetic information to construct a feather where previously there was no feather. This means that either new genetic information would have had to of been added to the chromosome or the genetic information would have had to of been reorganized to construct a feather. If it was a simple restructuring of genetic dna, then scientists should at least theoretically be able to reverse engineer a bird to it's primary state of being a dinosaur.

Anyway, I"m waiting for MeatballSub to reply as this whole realm is simply fascinating to me as I learn all this new stuff.

As far as how,

I agree with this and is actually what I use as evidence of god. DNA is a better discription of what you are than what you see in the mirror. It actually goes deeper, but no need to if you hold onto 6-days.

And DNA is a running code in a larger program we call the universe. That is what people feel when they make a conscious contact with it. Our "life" is more of a subroutine.

The coding for feathers, or should I say, the probability, that animals were going to fly went from much lower to much higher when o2 was used to make atp. If you can think a way of moving from point a to b then dna, will try it.

also, DNA is not as random as people, atheist, lead people to believe. It can only change the way it can change. And It always changes. It really never doesn't change. both stances mean, not random.

Just a reminder to all on this thread.

The question in the OP was effectively: where do human minds come from? Could they have evolved from some chimp or 'common ancestor'?

The obvious answer is, no they could not, and were therefore divinely created.

If they could not have 'evolved', then that casts a huge, dark shadow over the whole of evolution theory: a shadow which Darwin recognised, though his sycophants do not.

Even Alfred Russel Wallace, the co-discoverer of evolution, thought that evolution could only go so far. The gap between the intelligence of apes and that of humans was simply too wide to be bridged by natural selection, he said, and the human brain was so much larger and more complicated than what would have been sufficient for survival. Wallace attributed this gap to supernatural causes, but Darwin sought to bridge this gap by explaining both the origins of humans and their diversity in materialistic terms- natural and sexual selection
http://zinjanthropus.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/darwin-the-descent-of-man-and-human-evolution/

As you can see, Wallace, the co-author of the theory of evolution, could clearly see that there was an enormous gap here, which evolution could not explain. And if there was such an inexplicable and enormous gap, then evolution as a theory has failed, and will continue to do so.

Language was the great stumbling block, and still is. The following overturns Barbarian's idea that the information needed for flight was already present in the genome somewhere:

[FONT=&quot]Wallace was reinforced in this conclusion by his turn toward spiritualism. He came to believe that man's ascent from the animal state occurred through the ministrations of higher, spiritual powers[/FONT][FONT=&quot]: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]a proposal that drove Darwin crazy.

Yet Darwin recognized the force of Wallace's objection.
If a large brain, with all that such entailed, were not needed for survival, then natural selection could not account for it.

Schleicher
[/FONT]

In flight terms, the existence of genes and information needed for flight LONG BEFORE flight actually emerged, shows conclusively that natural selection cannot account for their existence. Both Darwin and Wallace recognised that. It is a pity that Barbarian and his followers, cannot.

But the human mind, IF IT IS DESCENDED FROM SOME MONKEY/APE/COMMON ANCESTOR, can only produce monkey-like theories, which are by definition, nonsense. Therefore, the theory of evolution, is also nonsense, since it is the product of some sort of monkey mind.

QED

As far as how,

But did the "waters" obey this by means of individual "separate Spontaneous Generations" of each species or kind, one by one, millions of times, for enumerable "kinds," or did the waters Spontaneously Generate the first srpouts of life on Earth, which then evolved into the diversified kinds that have existed?

Waters cannot spontaneously generate anything living. Pasteur showed that. And the abiogenetics people are continually showing that every day - but they won't give up, poor fools.

"With thee (God) is the fountain of life". Not the waters, not the labs. God.

Rather, they have structures that pre-date flying birds.

Thanks, Barbarian. That is consistent with what I understand you to have said.

~Sparrow

As shown above, Barbarian's statement is completely wrong.

Evolution does not deal with potentials - merely with what exists.

He keeps saying that the information required for flight was present LONG BEFORE (How long, Barbarian? Was it there in Amoeba or the cyanobacteria?) flight existed. That is evolutionary nonsense, because those genes, being useless, would have been selected out long before flight arose.

His theory self destructs.

As shown above, Barbarian's statement is completely wrong.

As you learned, it's demonstrably true. Didn't you read any of the evidence I showed you?

Evolution does not deal with potentials - merely with what exists.

As you learned, all the physical and behavioral components necessary for flight were already present before there were birds.

He keeps saying that the information required for flight was present LONG BEFORE (How long, Barbarian?

When there were feathered bipedal dinosaurs with full-evolved flight feathers, such as Microraptor.

Was it there in Amoeba or the cyanobacteria?)

(Barbarian checks) Nope. No feathers.

That is evolutionary nonsense, because those genes, being useless, would have been selected out long before flight arose.

As you learned, the adaptations didn't appear out of nowhere, but (as always happens in evolution) were merely modifications of something already existing, and useful in its own right.

His theory self destructs.

Surprise. By now, you should have learned to at least do a little research before you expose yourself.

species or kind

As you have learned, the words species and kind may not be used interchangeably in the context of the Scripture or Hebrew word, "min" or "miyn". "Species" is from Latin and it does not carry the same very limited meaning of the word "kind" as used in the Bible. The error is compounded when the reference includes "millions" of anything. Hebrew does not have such a word. Further there are no "enumerable" kinds listed in the Bible, but in direct contrast to what you say, the various "kinds" have been enumerated quite well in four (4) different chapters of the Bible. You will recall that I've asked if you knew how many "kinds" the Bible referenced in the past, and my question was dodged.

Hmmm...

Your side may insist that Kinds is the proper theological term to use, but evolutionists in the discipline of Biology use species as the term.

Since this very discussion is science/theology oriented, it seems irrelevant tfor one side to command the terminology be restrained.
What I am saying is simply that when I use the two terms, I mean the same thing bythem.

From my perspective, kinds in Genesis is really referring ti what we now call species.

For instance, in regard to human acent from Adam, I insist that the 22 different "kinds" of man listed in the genealogy are all species:

Gen 5:2 Male and female created heTHEM; and blessed THEM, and called THEIR name Adam, (a species, i.e. kind of man),in the day when THEY were created.

As you learned, it's demonstrably true. Didn't you read any of the evidence I showed you?

Evidence? What evidence?

Do you mean the 'evidence' that ostriches running down a slope manage to balance themselves using their wings? And turn left and right using their wings? Is that evidence? Of what?

Of your wishful thinking.

Can you account for the absence of a keel? Where did it go? Or when is it going to appear? And why did it disappear? Just so that something which could fly would lose that valuavle ability? Where's your natural selection now, destroying useful abilities? Utter nonsense.

As you learned, all the physical and behavioral components necessary for flight were already present before there were birds.

Why were they there? In ADVANCE of the need? Natural selection deals with realities, not potentials, as you may one day learn.
When there were feathered bipedal dinosaurs with full-evolved flight feathers, such as Microraptor.

Why were they there if Microraptor couldn't fly? I understand it had 4 'wings'. Where did the extra 2 come from, and where did they go?

If it was a glider, then how did its non-gliding ancestor obtain the information needed for it to glide? From where? Not experience, of course. Lots of broken necks in the ancestry!

Was it there in Amoeba or the cyanobacteria?)

(Barbarian checks) Nope. No feathers.

Oh, you needed to check. I see.

So when did the useless information enter the genome? And why wasn't it selected out because it was useless?

No, don't tell us: because it was some day going to be useful. That right? (You'd better read the quotes I gave above)

That is evolutionary nonsense, because those genes, being useless, would have been selected out long before flight arose.

As you learned, the adaptations didn't appear out of nowhere, but (as always happens in evolution) were merely modifications of something already existing, and useful in its own right.

Sorry, you're question-begging again.

But let's pursue that further. You're saying thatsomewhere along the imaginary evolutionary line, something appeared that was useless for flight, but useful for something else. So far so good?

And somehow, in the process of time, that something became a feather (BTW, why did reptiles have feathers? And where are the feathered reptiles today?), no, 10 different types of feather, wings (proper aerofoils - BTW, what IS an aerofoil? Did you find out?) - and all that info, was in somebody's genome uselessly, and natural selection didn't notice and get rid of it!

A likely story.

Quite incidentally, for the benefit of the non-biological among us, did you know that reptiles have possibly the lowest metabolic rate in the animal kingdom, the 'coldest blood' while birds have the absolute highest metabolic rate anywhere? Did you know that a reptile's body temperature varies with the air temperature, but a bird's body temperature is absolutely constant?

Can you see the physiological and biochemical problems involved in producing those differences?

How did they come about if birds are descended from reptiles? A reptile doesn't have the energy-generation capacity needed to produce the necessary energy output required by flight.

And which reptile do you see flying 7,500 miles from Goya in Argentina to Capistrano in California?

The whole thing is so [difficult for me to comprehend (attempted friendly Sparrow edit)] I can't understand how someone of reasonable intelligence can possibly believe it.

Ah well. To each his own.

Back