Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Is God in Control?

The heart of Pharaoh, in the time of Moses, was hardened many times giving God the opportunity to demonstrate His power.

Was God in control?

I was just thinking this a month later I guess. God had said that Isreal would go into slavery so did God simply see the egyptians were going to make them slaves or did he cause this too? Was God punishing the egyptians harshly for their treatment of Isreal also or just demonstrating His power? He hardened Pharaoh's heart causing harsher treatment of the Isrealites.

If God caused the whole series of events then does this mean that people who harden their hearts against us or us hardening our hearts against others is ordained? I know God sees all and knows all but is he micro managing? I read about how prayers have reached God and how the angels of children have the ear of God. If God micro manages then what role would his angels have on Earth? Do they do work left to them so they have something to do? If God is in charge of the moment by moment of our lives wouldn't that get in the way of our relationship with him? Would we thank God for the good parking spot then wonder if we had offended him when a bird leaves droppings on our car?

I think this is an interesting question no one has fully covered. How do we explain the real nature of life based on the Bible? Is God planning our day. Are angels on both sides fighting an invisible war that effects us way more than we realize? Is God more hands off than we'd like to admit? If this topic gets going again I'd like people to answer
1) To what degree is God in control of our lives?
2) To what degree is the devil/demons affecting our lives if you believe demons have some free reign?
3) To what degree does chance & freewill have on our lives.
I'd like a basic Biblical explanation of life or the answer we don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we carefully look through the scriptures, we would see that God says, all things work out for good for those that love the Lord and are called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28
This informs us that life is not always going to be a smooth journey, there will be ups and downs but at the end of the day, we shall rejoice. God's general armies in the bible all went through some form of trials and tribulations but at the end they were victorious.

One example we were talking about at my bible study was how God prepared Moses. Being familiar with Pharohs court, learning to read and write, being found by the princess. God was deeply involved in the course of Moses' life. Can we say that this is true of all of us? I'd like to think so.

That's not exactly a comforting thought

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

This is why Jesus brought grace and truth to the world. Jesus was crystal clear when He stated, "you will have suffering in the world". He didn't stay you might, He said you will. Satin has a purpose in this world. His job is to make sure not another trader ever enters into heaven like himself. All trials and tribulations are to test your obedience and bring your closer to God. You are in Gods presents when you go through hardship and tribulations. Esek. 18:32 "For I have no pleasure in the death of anyone who dies." Delcares the Lord God. Trust God since you cannot trace God.

God is in control. He only allows satin to do what he permits.

How would you explain the demon that fought God's angel and had to get help from Michael? It seems like the demon had the ability to try to stop God's angel. Do you think everything demons do is sanctioned by God or is he allowing demons the chance to plot and scheme? I think the parable of the weeds in the field kind of implies a kind of resistance to God. I also think people who practice "secret arts" aren't getting power as part of God's plan for them.

Yes my point is if some witch puts a hex on someone through some demon that wasn't permitted by God. I think it's the same with someone who commits murder. The person didn't have to ask God if it's ok to murder someone. So I think it's possible demons can act without God permitting their actions. So to some degree our lives can be affected by demons with their own agenda. Wickedness in high places.

God allows people to chose between Him and evil. He does not force us to choose Him.

Please read the story of Job. Satin could not touch Job until God allowed it.

Thank you for sharing your belief because I am not sure exactly what my theology is on this. I certainly think some are protected by God from the enemy like a hedge I think in Job. I'm just not convinced that everything demons do is first brought to God. Like the war in heaven I don't think Satan asked God can I attack Heaven. Also the weeds parable sounds like a plot of the devil. Or the woman Jesus healed who he said was in bondage because of Satan. The demon that resisted God's angel also stands out to me when I've heard this preached.

I think God generally does not violate a being's free will. Which doesn't necessarily mean He permits beings to run amok forever. He repays them as they have deserved.

Conversely, Satan has no problem violating other beings' free will. He will instantly exploit any vulnerability as far as possible. And he is constantly on the lookout for any weaknesses he may find.

God allows it, because He won't violate even Satan's free will. It's for us to constantly and strongly reject Satan. That's my view.

How would you explain the demon that fought God's angel and had to get help from Michael? It seems like the demon had the ability to try to stop God's angel. Do you think everything demons do is sanctioned by God or is he allowing demons the chance to plot and scheme? I think the parable of the weeds in the field kind of implies a kind of resistance to God. I also think people who practice "secret arts" aren't getting power as part of God's plan for them.
Let's back up a second.

What does God owe people who sin?

I think we're really pushing it to think God must "fix" people He isn't obligated to.

"sanction" is also probably the worst of words to use for God's permissive will. Sin is never "sanctioned". It is organized though, in such as way as to accomplish God's will. Even demons and evil men can't thwart God's purposes.

Maybe that was a bad title for this thread. I was hoping for posts like deborahs and pizza guys that layed out their life view in light of the Bible. Stuff like does God lay out a detailed plan for our lives? I am interested in how freewill providence and the demonic play out practically in our lives. Personally I believe God and the devil are very active in life on Earth. How this works on a day to day level I am not sure. I think certain events like dangerous situations, personal tragedies, personal trials, and some life altering events and even minor things can have spiritual explainations. To what degree I don't know. Other things I don't think were the result of God. I don't think every bad thing that happens is a trial from God nor every good thing a gift from God. I also think for some people with strong faith and frequent prayer God might use you more actively than others. God might have more detailed plans for certain people as well. This is just how I feel now as I have yet to finish reading the entire Bible.

If God is controlling where does that leave free will?

Being in control and controlling are two different things.

When I drive my car I am in control but I am not controlling everything about my trip.

Thank you for sharing your belief because I am not sure exactly what my theology is on this. I certainly think some are protected by God from the enemy like a hedge I think in Job. I'm just not convinced that everything demons do is first brought to God. Like the war in heaven I don't think Satan asked God can I attack Heaven. Also the weeds parable sounds like a plot of the devil. Or the woman Jesus healed who he said was in bondage because of Satan. The demon that resisted God's angel also stands out to me when I've heard this preached.

God allows satin in our life when our thinking doesn't line-up with the word of God (obedience).

God allows satin in our life when our thinking doesn't line-up with the word of God (obedience).

I more see it as that's what gives the devil the opportunity to attack as opposed to God giving the devil permission

Back