Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is it ok to you to be vegan for ethical reasons?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Ervin

Peace. I have been between a vegan, vegetarian and a carnivore now for some time. It just seems like killing plant based food for survival seems like lesser violence. So the reasons for me going back to vegan diet are ethical.

If you were to adopt a vegan diet and say its because you believe its lesser violence killing plants instead of animals than would that be going against the Christian teachings, in line or neutral?

Thanks

Neutral is what i would say.....

Man i am sorry for anyone who forgoes a cheeseburger :sad

Why so far as vegan when it does not harm the goat/cow to make cheese?

Hi Reba. With not drinking milk I think that cows are forced to lactate when its not natural for them. From what I know they are supposed to produce milk only when they give birth to calfs. Also I think bobi calfs or whatever they are called are killed shortly after birth in the milk industry. I don't know about goats but I would say that maybe they would rather us not interfere with them in that way.

Thanks

Peace. I have been between a vegan, vegetarian and a carnivore now for some time. It just seems like killing plant based food for survival seems like lesser violence. So the reasons for me going back to vegan diet are ethical.

If you were to adopt a vegan diet and say its because you believe its lesser violence killing plants instead of animals than would that be going against the Christian teachings, in line or neutral?

Thanks

Good posting! Yet, my wife & my reasons are different than that of yours!:thumbsup
--Elijah

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bible doesn't say it's wrong to eat meat. Jesus ate fish.

But from what I know of the Bible, nothing in it says you have to eat something, or not. So, neutral. It's your choice.
I can definitely understand avoiding meat to protest what goes on in some slaughterhouses.

Though that doesn't stop me, even though I do wish the animals would be treated better. *cough*
Plus I need that meat for my dog. It would be cruel to force a carnivore, an animal designed to eat a meat-based diet, to eat like a herbivore. We as humans can do that safely, though, because we are omnivores.

(To explain what I meant when I said I need the meat for my dog, he is fed a homeprepared raw diet. I have nothing against commercial dog food, but I have good reasons for feeding an alternative diet. Know that it does require research, and isn't fool proof. Just saying because I don't want to give people the wrong idea.
Even if I did feed kibble, it would still require using meat because I would only feed meat-based kibble.)

Peace. What's the following eupose to mean? Does it mean we will all be vegans?

Isaiah 11:6 The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them.

And

Isaiah 11:7 And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together: and the lion shall eat straw like the ox.

Thoughts. Thanks

That verse has to do with Bible prophecy and something that's to going to eventually come to pass. During Jesus' millennial reign, I believe.

Apparently, before the world was corrupted, Adam, Eve, and all the animals did eat only vegetation. (Or at least, the animals didn't kill each other, and Adam didn't kill the animals. I'm not so sure he avoided milk and making cheese and such. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.) Apparently one day we will return to that.

(Not super knowledgeable on Bible prophecy. Not enough to really explain it well.)

You have it right, Questdriven... before the Flood all were vegetarian, even the animals. After the flood, God gave the animals as food. When this earth is done and we are in the new heaven and the new earth, then the animals will once again be at peace. This is clear from the Isaiah prophesy. Whether or not we will still eat them, the bible doesn't say... but since eating an animal requires it's death, I doubt very seriously if we will be killing and eating animals.

As for now... the bible is neutral as far as the matter of eating meat or being vegan...but, you should always follow your conscience. If you feel that eating meat is wrong, for whatever reason, then you shouldn't eat it. Just be sure not to become judgmental towards others about it.

do keep in mind that some animals would have be to culled in this present earth or they as a species would die out.

ie deer, the caribou and well cats. lol

Apparently, before the world was corrupted, Adam, Eve, and all the animals did eat only vegetation. (Or at least, the animals didn't kill each other, and Adam didn't kill the animals. I'm not so sure he avoided milk and making cheese and such. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.)
On what verses do you base these statements?

I think neutral overall. However I do think it would be a good idea to avoid eating meat from sources that are inhumane to the animals. Not only is that unethical, IMO, it is also less healthy for both them and us. The Bible certainly does not restrict us from eating meat, but it I think we are also to be good stewards of the earth and if someone became vegan to ensure they did not support factory farming, I think that would be a good thing.

I think neutral overall. However I do think it would be a good idea to avoid eating meat from sources that are inhumane to the animals. Not only is that unethical, IMO, it is also less healthy for both them and us. The Bible certainly does not restrict us from eating meat, but it I think we are also to be good stewards of the earth and if someone became vegan to ensure they did not support factory farming, I think that would be a good thing.
Agreed. :thumbsup

The story of Adam and Eve in Genesis. I don't remember the verse or chapter, but it'd be near the beginning of the book, maybe around chapter 6-ish. A curse was put over the Earth after Adam and Eve sinned and were forced to leave the garden. After that Adam had to work for food and to stay alive, there was pain, sweat, hurt, etc.

Some of it involves speculation, but as Adam was told to name them all, I imagine they must have been tame and lived in the garden peacefully, y'know?

I know you directed this to questdriven, but I believe Genesis 1 is pretty clear on the subject:

Then God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you; and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for foodâ€; and it was so. Genesis 1:29-30

Everybody was vegetarian... stands to reason, death had not entered into the world then.

Thanks

I suggest you read Gen 1:24-30 carefully to see God's original intent as to what we eat. You'll find His original intention was that we were NOT to be carnivores.

Also notice that He created LIVESTOCK, so I would think that would be for milk.

Ethics?
Get Fuzzy
getfuzzy_jerky.gif

Go vegan. It is better for you, anyways. Be sure to keep you b-12 levels up. If you start feeling sleepy all the time go grab the vitamins. Be sure to get methylcabalamin, not cyanocabalomin that is sold in most stores. Very few people can benefit from it.

OP I am 100% with you. I am a vegetarian verging on vegan too. Go with your conscience.

I do like it for the healthy feeling alone, the peace inside at not hurting creatures where you can is a bonus.

The bible says all sorts of stuff about it. If your pro or against abstaining from meat you can dig up lots of verses either way but it comes down to living under grace and personal preference.

Back