Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is it okay to avoid people?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Elysian

Shalom,

I know Christians are supposed to spread the word, but isn't that basically a job for the extroverts? As an introvert, I keep to myself - read, play music, paint etc. I can't picture myself talking to people freely, much less preaching to them. What am I supposed to do?

Thanks,
Elysian

I believe we all need discernment to respond as we are Led. If you feel you are Led by God to be more bold in your faith, I would take that to mean you need to get out of your comfort zone and stretch yourself.If you're not "feeling personally Led", then I have a few thoughts. We are not all evangelists, so I don't believe it is correct to say we should all stand on street corners and proclaim the Gospel.

Ephesians 4:11
<sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV1984-29268">"11</sup> It was he who gave some to be apostles, some to be prophets, some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers, <sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV1984-29269">12</sup> to prepare God’s people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up <sup class="versenum" id="en-NIV1984-29270">13</sup> until we all reach unity in the faith and in the knowledge of the Son of God and become mature, attaining to the whole measure of the fullness of Christ."

But, virtually everyone has the opportunity to share the message of Salvation with people in their lives. So I would say scripture doesn't necessarily call you to buy a portable amplifier and microphone and hit the streets, but it does call you to be ready to share the reason for your hope with gentleness and respect when you are asked (1 Peter 3:15).

Again, if you feel that the Lord is Calling you to evangelize more boldly, sometimes we are "Jonah" and running from this call. I would dare say that sometimes evil spirits are causing this refusal to obey. I'm not saying this about you, because I don't know anymore than what you've shared.

Listen & obey as a response to His Love for you. :)

I always consider the providence of God when asking what God wants of me. God is in charge, God is all powerful, all knowing.

With this, God does not need us to do his work. He can spread the gospel in many ways, and he does, but we know that he uses us to do it, and he uses us in many ways.

He gives us various talents and circumstances, so that no one of us is any more equip to spread the gospel than any other of us, who are willing and who have lent themselves to the purpose of God's will.

So, when you think of it like that, spreading the Gospel is not so much of a duty as it is a privilege. How will God use you? is the question to ask, not so much, what should I do for God?

The will of God, or the will of man? Our will is worthless, and dangerous and sinful. It is not righteous. God's will is the opposite of our will. :) Why do I say this? because I think it's the most important thing to consider when living the Christian life. The giving up of our own will.

We can not be in the will of God and our own will at the same time, I believe. I think there are many Christians with the best of intentions, who are living for God with their own will.

They think they have to be a preacher, start a church, pass some good moral laws for the country, write some books, perhaps lead others in worship or start a Christian rock band :tongue......What ever it is they are wanting to lead the charge up the hill for God, but there is often more to their efforts than God. They seek recognition for their efforts.

If Christ appeared before you and gave you a choice of the doing the most glorious thing for his kingdom, or the lowliest of things for the same purpose; which would you choose? It's a rhetorical question really, but the answer should be neither. The response to God should be; do with me what you will, not what I'd will of myself.

I also would suggest that sharing the gospel doesn't always have to come from the words we speak but could also come from the life we live. "Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men. Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." Matthew 5:13-16 KJV

I'm introverted, too. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to live out the Gospel and share it with those closest to you. For instance, some of my unsaved friends will do things that seem fun and exciting, but are really sinful and dangerous. I express concern and disapproval, which is an improvement for me, since for a long time post-conversion I'd just let it ride.

You don't have to be a street preacher (although there is a place for that) or otherwise out with strangers to share the Gospel.

I have no idea where this came from except dad,

Better to be a song then to sing
Better to be a witness then to witness
Better to be a testimony then to testify

Not everyone is called to preach or teach. If others can see Christ in you within your actions then that in itself is a witness and testimony to his love and grace. When you go to the store and give a smile to the clerk that is Gods witness. If you help a neighbor that is Gods witness. Sometimes it is just as simple as saying hello to someone you pass on the street that might brighten their day. It's not that you are avoiding people as you enjoy staying home and doing those things you enjoy.

Here is one for you. I have seen some of your other postings and whether you know it or not you are spreading the word of God to more people than you think so you are doing just fine my friend and God bless you always.

I'm a huge introvert so I actually don't do much preaching to people. What I do instead is try to involve myself in drama programs and things like that which will help teach others about Christ. It helps a lot more and I feel like I'm evangelizing even though I may not be speaking face to face. I know it's probably not enough but it's a start.

I'm an introvert myself. You have your place in the body of Christ like all others do.
It would be a mistake to force yourself to be something you're not, the natural man is always more pleasing to others.

Sometimes the best approach is not a forced approach, but just living. I don't go up to people and start hitting them with the gospel, I find common ground, talk about life and slowly work towards it.

Use your gifts of drama, painting, whatever....

I'm an introvert myself. You have your place in the body of Christ like all others do.
It would be a mistake to force yourself to be something you're not, the natural man is always more pleasing to others.

Sometimes the best approach is not a forced approach, but just living. I don't go up to people and start hitting them with the gospel, I find common ground, talk about life and slowly work towards it.

Use your gifts of drama, painting, whatever....

I don't believe it's as cut and dry as this. Sometimes God is calling us to do something that doesn't come naturally, and we use this as an excuse not to do whatever it is. Jonah was told to do something he wanted no part of. He was disobedient, and look where that got him. We really need to seek His Will for us, because we know He will use our weakness and be strong for us if we will be a willing vessel.

god calls those that dont have talents in some areas so that he can be glorified.

i know people that would loose on any talent show but can lead a worship song.

I agree with these last two posts. There are a number of examples of this in the scriptures.

Moses certainly did not feel capable and even asked God not to send him because he didn't speak well. He was unsure of himself and I believe possibly even fearful of the task he was being asked to do.

Of all people Paul certainly was not seasoned at spreading the Gospel. He was seasoned at persecuting Christians. He too mentioned something about not being able to speak well but God used him to spread Christianity all over the place and bring us most of the New Testament.

Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: Matthew 5:10-11.<O:tongue</O:tongue

Elysian,

"but it does call you to be ready to share the reason for your hope with gentleness and respect when you are asked (1 Peter 3:15)." - Mike

I'd like to work with what Mike said. Over the last few years, I learned to share my faith. Although it has always been difficult for me to speak in front of people or strangers for that matter, I've learned one thing that will help you share your faith is knowing those who don't profess Christ or those who live openly sinful lives are lost. Lost does not describe adequately the danger people are in who have not put thier faith in Jesus, and I would think you are of aware of this assuming you are saved. If your concern for the lost is not the issue, then perhaps it's just learning how to share your faith. I can point you to some resources as I'm sure many others here can as well.

- Davies

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back