Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Is it Wrong to Think About Hell All the Time?

Okay. What is your timing?
Matthew 25:31-46 is the Parable of the Sheep and Goats.It is part of the Olivet Discourse.Jesus says that the Parable begins with his return to Glory to set up the 1000 year Millennium and after the 7 year tribulation.There will be a very few believers who will survive the tribulation and quite a few unbelievers.All will be brought before the Lord,and He will separate them "as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats".He will put the sheep on the right and the goats on the left (verse 32-33).The sheep on the right hand are blessed by God the Father and given an inheritance (verse 35-36).The goats on Jesus' left hand are cursed with eternal hell-fire (verse 41) because they had an opportunity to minister to the Lord,but they did nothing (verse 42-43).

The above is a different judgment than the Bema Seat or Judgment Seat of Jesus Romans 14:10-12;2 Corinthians 5:10.
When the Church is raptured and the believers are resurrected from their graves they will be judged at the Bema Seat Judgment in heaven which is the judgment for the believers.

The Great White Throne Judgment takes place at the end of the 1000 year millennium.That is for Satan and his fallen angels and the unbelievers Revelation 20:7-15.

I agree with you. BUT. We can also ask several people who claim to have read the Bible, "what does it say?" and we will get several different responses and descriptions.

I still believe just what the Bible says. Whenever someone tells me "The Bible says so and so", I look for myself. And I usually find that the Bible doesn't say what the person says that it says. This always happens when someone tells me that the Bible says that God sends people to hell to be eternally tormented forever. Two people have told me Jesus said that the lost are tormented in hell forever.
God does not send people to hell.People send themselves to hell because they made a choice to not believe in Jesus Christ.

What is this place where angels await their judgment?

"4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment;" (2 Peter 2:4 NASB)

I'm wondering if 'hell' is Gehenna in this verse.
Yes,Gehenna is one of the names for hell in the Bible. 2 Peter 2:4 tells us that the fallen angels will be judged by God while the believers or saints in heaven will take part in judging God's angels and the world.

Last edited:
What is this place where angels await their judgment?

"4 For if God did not spare angels when they sinned, but cast them into hell and committed them to pits of darkness, reserved for judgment;" (2 Peter 2:4 NASB)

I'm wondering if 'hell' is Gehenna in this verse.
It is called Tartarus in the Greek, not Gehenna which Jesus used. Of course, translators presuppose their theology and go ahead and translate it the same thing and the reader has no idea that the writer uses a different word.

εἰ γὰρ ὁ Θεὸς ἀγγέλων ἁμαρτησάντων οὐκ ἐφείσατο, ἀλλὰ σειροῖς ζόφου ταρταρώσας παρέδωκεν εἰς κρίσιν τηρουμένους, 2 Peter 2:4

As you can see, no Gehenna, but it does say ταρταρώσας which is using our Alphabet is Tartarosas. This is the only time it occurs in the New Testament, and I take it to mean a temporary place of confinement while demons await punishment.

I'm not convinced that believers will not be at the Great White Throne Judgement, as if that judgment is only for condemning lost people and not rewarding the saved. I'll tell you why.

Several years ago, right after 9-11, I got real interested in end-times stuff and started reading about that in the Bible. What I noticed was that the 1000 year reign seems to be reserved for "the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony for Jesus" (Revelation 20:4 NIV), not everyone in all of history who is saved. It says these are the ones who are resurrected in this first resurrection (Revelation 20:5 NIV). It isn't until after this 1000 year reign with Christ of the martyrs that "the rest of the dead" come to life--the sea, death, and Hades giving up their dead (Revelation 20:13 NIV). It is then that the books are opened at the Great White Throne Judgment and "each person (is) judged according to what he had done" (Revelation 20:13 NIV).

Without going into detail, the issue seems to be with when the rapture occurs and believers are united with their resurrection bodies and who the army is that returns with Jesus at his second coming just before the 1000 year reign (Revelation 19:14 NIV). In my studies I had noticed that the Bible suggests the army is composed of angels, not returning believers as is popularly taught. If I remember correctly, only one verse suggests they are believers.
I am amil. the context of that would be two ressurections, I don't hold that

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1 Thessalonians 4
9 But as touching brotherly love ye need not that I write unto you: for ye yourselves are taught of God to love one another.

10 And indeed ye do it toward all the brethren which are in all Macedonia: but we beseech you, brethren, that ye increase more and more;

11 And that ye study to be quiet, and to do your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you;

12 That ye may walk honestly toward them that are without, and that ye may have lack of nothing.

13 But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope.

14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him.

15 For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep.

16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:

17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.

The great white throne judgment is described in Revelation 20:11-15 and is the final judgment prior to the lost being cast into the lake of fire. We know from Revelation 20:7-15 that this judgment will take place after the millennium and after Satan, the beast, and the false prophet are thrown into the lake of fire (Revelation 20:7-10). The books that are opened (Revelation 20:12) contain records of everyone’s deeds, whether they are good or evil, because God knows everything that has ever been said, done, or even thought, and He will reward or punish each one accordingly (Psalm 28:4; 62:12; Romans 2:6; Revelation 2:23; 18:6; 22:12).

Also at this time, another book is opened, called the “book of life” (Revelation 20:12). It is this book that determines whether a person will inherit eternal life with God or receive everlasting punishment in the lake of fire. Although Christians are held accountable for their actions, they are forgiven in Christ and their names were written in the “book of life from the creation of the world” (Revelation 17:8). We also know from Scripture that it is at this judgment when the dead will be “judged according to what they had done” (Revelation 20:12) and that “anyone’s name” that is not “found written in the book of life” will be “thrown into the lake of fire” (Revelation 20:15).

The fact that there is going to be a final judgment for all men, both believers and unbelievers, is clearly confirmed in many passages of Scripture. Every person will one day stand before Christ and be judged for his or her deeds. While it is very clear that the great white throne judgment is the final judgment, Christians disagree on how it relates to the other judgments mentioned in the Bible, specifically, who will be judged at the great white throne judgment.

Some Christians believe that the Scriptures reveal three different judgments to come. The first is the judgment of the sheep and the goats or a judgment of the nations (Matthew 25:31-36). This takes place after the tribulation period but prior to the millennium; its purpose is to determine who will enter the millennial kingdom. The second is a judgment of believers’ works, often referred to as the “judgment seat [bema] of Christ” (2 Corinthians 5:10). At this judgment, Christians will receive degrees of reward for their works or service to God. The third is the great white throne judgment at the end of the millennium (Revelation 20:11-15). This is the judgment of unbelievers in which they are judged according to their works and sentenced to everlasting punishment in the lake of fire.

Other Christians believe that all three of these judgments speak of the same final judgment, not of three separate judgments. In other words, the great white throne judgment in Revelation 20:11-15 will be the time that believers and unbelievers alike are judged. Those whose names are found in the book of life will be judged for their deeds in order to determine the rewards they will receive or lose. Those whose names are not in the book of life will be judged according to their deeds to determine the degree of punishment they will receive in the lake of fire. Those who hold this view believe that Matthew 25:31-46 is another description of what takes place at the great white throne judgment. They point to the fact that the result of this judgment is the same as what is seen after the great white throne judgment in Revelation 20:11-15. The sheep (believers) enter into eternal life, while the goats (unbelievers) are cast into “eternal punishment” (Matthew 25:46).

Whichever view one holds of the great white throne judgment, it is important to never lose sight of the facts concerning the coming judgment(s). First, Jesus Christ will be the judge, all unbelievers will be judged by Christ, and they will be punished according to the works they have done. The Bible is very clear that unbelievers are storing up wrath against themselves (Romans 2:5) and that God will “give to each person according to what he has done” (Romans 2:6). Believers will also be judged by Christ, but since Christ’s righteousness has been imputed to us and our names are written in the book of life, we will be rewarded, but not punished, according to our deeds. Romans 14:10-12 says that we will all stand before the judgment seat of Christ and that each one of us will give an account to God.

Last edited:
The past couple years, I am obsessed with it. Hell. What it's like. Who's going there. Is it because I'm going there some day? How much do you think about it?
No! , I don't think of Hell all the time, but I think to each its own idea of that place esp. if a person think for some reason, that they are going there, and bringing other people with them also! I think it would be a good idea to know for yourself of a Hell.

But in the book of Matthew 11:25-30 as we can read about who are we suppose to follow in life I Pet. 2:21 then I think you will see what to think about all the time. And you would know for sure what to think about:
http://genius.com/1733758/Holy-bibl...-if-there-be-any-praise-think-on-these-things

In Scripture, Gehenna... "hell" is supposed to be a place where the final judgment go. It is a common mistake to view hell as some kind of current place that you go to immediately after death.

How can it be a common mistake, Jesus paints a literal picture of what happens when we die"

Luke16:19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

The only way it could be a common mistake if a false teaching said it was a mistake, fairy tale, metaphor or etc.

tob

How can it be a common mistake, Jesus paints a literal picture of what happens when we die"

Luke16:19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

The only way it could be a common mistake if a false teaching said it was a mistake, fairy tale, metaphor or etc.

tob
It is a parable told in allegorical form. You don't seriously think we have bodies with tongues and such in Hades do you?

It is a parable told in allegorical form. You don't seriously think we have bodies with tongues and such in Hades do you?
Of course you do.You will have a resurrected body just as you have now.You will feel every second of the eternal punishment.
Look at Luke 16.Lazarus had the ability to feel "torment" and agony and to speak and see and he had a tongue.

The unbelievers souls that are now in hades will be resurrected with their body from the grave.

Last edited:
Of course you do.You will have a resurrected body just as you have now.You will feel every second of the eternal punishment.
Look at Luke 16.Lazarus had the ability to feel "torment" and agony and to speak and see and he had a tongue.
This too does not fit the text, as it was not after the second resurrection. You see him pleading with Abraham to let Lazarus rise from the dead (sound like anything that happens concerning Jesus) to warn his 5 brothers (who else has 5 full brothers.. Judah). So his brothers were still alive and had not been judged, yet if it was after the second resurrection then they all would have been judged already.

People are not resurrected in bodies directly upon dying, that is simply not what the Bible teaches. And Jesus doesn't teach bad theology, they just happen to take a parable, spoken in the context of parables, as some kind of sermon on Hell and then get funky theology that contradicts the Old and New Testament.

This too does not fit the text, as it was not after the second resurrection. You see him pleading with Abraham to let Lazarus rise from the dead (sound like anything that happens concerning Jesus) to warn his 5 brothers (who else has 5 full brothers.. Judah). So his brothers were still alive and had not been judged, yet if it was after the second resurrection then they all would have been judged already.

People are not resurrected in bodies directly upon dying, that is simply not what the Bible teaches. And Jesus doesn't teach bad theology, they just happen to take a parable, spoken in the context of parables, as some kind of sermon on Hell and then get funky theology that contradicts the Old and New Testament.
The people who are a true born again believer souls are in heaven.Their body is in the grave waiting to be resurrected with their soul in heaven.The unbelievers souls are in hades.There bodies are in the grave waiting to be resurrected with their souls for the Great White Throne judgment at the end of the 1000 year millennium.
Believe what you want to believe but this is what the Bible says.Your mind has digested those words and you can do anything you want with those words.It is your choice.

Its like i already said..

The only way it could be a common mistake if a false teaching/teacher said it was a mistake, fairy tale, metaphor or an allegory and etc.

tob

luke 16 was about why the Pharisees might go to sheol, not so much to show us that it existed. the tanach has myriads of description about sheol. notice the gates aren't mentioned there.

luke 16 was about why the Pharisees might go to sheol, not so much to show us that it existed. the tanach has myriads of description about sheol. notice the gates aren't mentioned there.
Luke 16:19-31 is about the rich man and Lazarus.

The people who are a true born again believer souls are in heaven.Their body is in the grave waiting to be resurrected with their soul in heaven.The unbelievers souls are in hades.There bodies are in the grave waiting to be resurrected with their souls for the Great White Throne judgment at the end of the 1000 year millennium.
Believe what you want to believe but this is what the Bible says.Your mind has digested those words and you can do anything you want with those words.It is your choice.
I don't think you're getting it. The Rich Man in Hades had a body, why else would he ask Lazarus to pour water on his tongue? You yourself said their bodies were currently in the grave.

Please explain how you reconcile this?

It is called Tartarus in the Greek, not Gehenna which Jesus used. Of course, translators presuppose their theology and go ahead and translate it the same thing and the reader has no idea that the writer uses a different word.

εἰ γὰρ ὁ Θεὸς ἀγγέλων ἁμαρτησάντων οὐκ ἐφείσατο, ἀλλὰ σειροῖς ζόφου ταρταρώσας παρέδωκεν εἰς κρίσιν τηρουμένους, 2 Peter 2:4

As you can see, no Gehenna, but it does say ταρταρώσας which is using our Alphabet is Tartarosas. This is the only time it occurs in the New Testament, and I take it to mean a temporary place of confinement while demons await punishment.
Do you think this is where deceased unbelievers also await their punishment along with the angels?

Luke 16:19-31 is about the rich man and Lazarus.

Lazarus is the Hebrew word for poor man , though it is also a name. if jesus named a man why not just tell the other name? instead the rich man the Pharisees would know whom he was then. being that evil.
context, luke 16 chapter in context says this

14 And the Pharisees also, who were covetous, heard all these things: and they derided him.
15 And he said unto them, Ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.
16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.
17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fail.
18 Whosoever putteth away his wife, and marrieth another, committeth adultery: and whosoever marrieth her that is put away from her husband committeth adultery.

I believe in sheol, gehenna and all things related but look at why he mentioned sheol and see the warning first!

Back