Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is Scripture Alone is Biblical?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Cornelius said:
So the Bible self-authenticates . It cannot be disproven, it can only be ignored, and that does not make it go away. Its a reality.
C
The internal evidences are overwhelming and undeniable.
And keep the charge of the LORD thy God, to walk in his ways, to keep his statutes, and his commandments, and his judgments, and his testimonies, as it is written in the law of Moses, that thou mayest prosper in all that thou doest, and whithersoever thou turnest thyself:
(1Ki 2:3 KJV)
Its amazing that His own people cast such doubt on His ability to preserve His instruction for His children...

>>>> The Authority of Gods word, the Bible

Cornelius said:
The whole Bible has this same mathematical pattern and none of the books that were left out has it. Is that difficult to understand ?

Yes. What is the mathematical pattern? Can you show me some examples?

Cornelius said:
So the Bible self-authenticates. It cannot be disproven, it can only be ignored, and that does not make it go away. Its a reality.
Absurd. Why?

Premise: Minnesota claims all his words are God's words.
Conclusion: Therefore, minnesota's words are God's words.

How do we know minnesota's words are God's words? That's because minnesota says all his words are God's words. Thus, by applying self-authentication, I have proven all my words are God's words. This cannot be disproved. It can only be ignored, and that does not make it go away. It does not make it untrue. It's a reality.

Or, if you prefer the math route.

Premise: Minnesota claims one plus one equals two.
Premise: Minnesota claims two plus two equals four.
Premise: Minnesota claims four plus four equals eight.
Conclusion: Therefore, minnesota has established a mathematical pattern with his words.

Premise: Minnesota has established a mathematical pattern with his words.
Premise: When a mathematical pattern exists within someone's words, they are the words of God.
Conclusion: Therefore, minnesota's words are God's words.

How do we know minnesota's words are God's words? Because there is a mathematical pattern within his words. It's not numerology. It's not the Bible code. It's not even the minnesota code. It's a mathematical pattern. Thus, by applying the argument from mathematical patterns, I have proven all my words are God's words. This cannot be disproved. It can only be ignored, and that does not make it go away. It does not make it untrue. It's a reality.

Thus, it's clear from both forms of "logical" argument presented that I speak the very words of God.

the faithless, godless, shallow logic of the limited and fallible human mind so consumed and convinced by its own ineptness.
Pathetic.

the faithless, godless, shallow logic of the limited and fallible human mind so consumed and convinced by its own ineptness.

And you have a BETTER limited and fallible human mind, I suppose? Or do you claim to possess a super-human mind? Didn't God give the same limited and fallible human mind to everyone? I would be careful, if I were you, before casting aspersions upon the mind which God created and gave to all of us.

Or perhaps you claim that your beliefs are a direct revelation from God, and so you don't need to use your mind at all. Well... so do thousands of other people who disagree with you and with each other.

If we have abandon logic, there is nowhere to go, and all discussion is fruitless.

Paidion said:
And you have a BETTER limited and fallible human mind, I suppose? Or do you claim to possess a super-human mind? Didn't God give the same limited and fallible human mind to everyone? I would be careful, if I were you, before casting aspersions upon the mind which God created and gave to all of us.
Or perhaps you claim that your beliefs are a direct revelation from God, and so you don't need to use your mind at all. Well... so do thousands of other people who disagree with you and with each other.
I have the one thing that is far better than all that...an UNquestioning faith in my Sovereign God and King

If we have abandon logic, there is nowhere to go, and all discussion is fruitless.
Logic is a much different thing than wisdom.
Logic tells me that Gods word isnt His word because its 'circular'.
Wisdom tells me that GOD is sovereign and I can trust the word He has provided me.

You can have your logic....Ill keep wisdom and faith...and we'll see which is fruitless in the end.

Paidion,

Don't be a stick in the mud. Realize the power we have now been granted with the abandonment of logic. We can now claim we are gods ourselves. We do not need to prove this either. We simply need to believe in faith and based on the principle of self-authentication it's true. Awesome!

Now, you will have to excuse me while I go establish my own religion. ;)

That said, is Sola Scriptura biblical? I'm not convinced either way. I can see room for a variety of perspectives.

minnesota said:
Paidion,

Don't be a stick in the mud. Realize the power we have now been granted with the abandonment of logic. We can now claim we are gods ourselves. We do not need to prove this either. We simply need to believe in faith and based on the principle of self-authentication it's true. Awesome!
huh..wow...really ?
And...uh...anyone here on this forum doing any such thing ?

I LOVE how you folks twist FAITH IN GOD into somehow meaning "I'M GOD".
But then without this preposterous sort of exaggeration..where WOULD you be...kwim? :)
No worries tho, Ive seen this diversionary tactic used hundreds of times...it always gives me a good chuckle tho.
Now, you will have to excuse me while I go establish my own religion. ;)
And you have fun with all that :)

follower of Christ said:
Paidion said:
I have the one thing that is far better than all that...an UNquestioning faith in my Sovereign God and King

How do you know when your thoughts are from God and not from your own fallible mind? Or maybe it's minnesota sending those thoughts into your head so you will believe in the wrong bible.

merlow said:
How do you know when your thoughts are from God and not from your own fallible mind? Or maybe it's minnesota sending those thoughts into your head so you will believe in the wrong bible.
Sort of like the Borg, eh ?
Minne is trying to assimilate me ? ;)

In thread that got locked down tighter than Fort Knox we had gone thru all this stuff.
Faith in God comes from God as He gives us all a measure of faith (Rom 12:3)
Without HIS drawing me Id probably be an atheist or Islamic or some other demon infested cult (John 6:44).
The SOURCE is God (very matrixy, eh?)
I couldnt TRULY believe in Him or His word without HIS making it possible.
That is how I know.

:)

i'll chime on this and say a few things, while i prefer solo scriptura, i do read testimonies from people, and some books on subjects are ok, but any book outside the bible can have a man's opinion, I ran into this recently, Have you ever read the rest of the gospel, i dont believe in OSAS, and the tendency of we have all we need of jesus at the point of salvation is to push one towards arrgonancy, and while true the entrance of Christ into our hearts is enough to get us into heaven, what about santification. I'll elaborate later.

jason

Let me put it this way, if scripture alone is not biblical then I don't know what is. By scripture alone I mean the scriptures themselves uninterpreted. If someone was to take a bible, and wrap masking tape around it so that it could not be opened -- that is the definition I have arrived at of scripture alone.

When the covers are opened - and the observer reads even one sentence - he/she beings immediately to interpret it. While I do believe in the necessity of the illumination of the Holy Spirit for understanding -- the convention 'scripture interprets scripture' still leaves the reader with yet more scripture to interpret than he/she had in the first place. So while scripture does interpret scripture, this still leaves the reader outside the loop. Should 'scriptural alone' be revised to include the necessary illumination of the Holy Spirit and the reader's task of interpreting what is read?
blessings

Strictly speaking, I don't think Scripture Alone is Biblical. Throughout the Bible God gave us teachers, pastors, preachers and evangelists to help us understand His words. I don't believe that the roles of pastor, teacher and evangelist have been done away with, therefore I don't believe in Scripture alone.

I do believe however that Scripture contains the only complete and untainted truth. Unfortunately, as the previous poster pointed out, as soon as any failed human opens up the Scriptures, then fallible interpretations begin to seep in. Which I believe is why God gave us pastors, teachers, etc. By studying together and receiving solid teaching from a god-called teacher or preacher, we can come to a fuller understanding of God's word.

follower of Christ said:
Paidion said:

Logic is a much different thing than wisdom.
Logic tells me that Gods word isnt His word because its 'circular'.
Wisdom tells me that GOD is sovereign and I can trust the word He has provided me.

You can have your logic....Ill keep wisdom and faith...and we'll see which is fruitless in the end.

I'll second that, Thanks for these words of wisdom..

turnorburn

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back