Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Is the Law of God dead? And if yes, how?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Status
Not open for further replies.
The law of Moses has been abolished, nailed to the cross and taken out of the way.

The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it.
Luke 16:16

I like your post, but we may be in some disagreement on the verse, however. The fuller passage is this:

14 Now the Pharisees, who were lovers of money, also heard all these things, and they derided Him. 15 And He said to them, “You are those who justify yourselves before men, but God knows your hearts. For what is highly esteemed among men is an abomination in the sight of God. 16 “The law and the prophets were until John. Since that time the kingdom of God has been preached, and everyone is pressing into it. 17 And it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one tittle of the law to fail. 18 “Whoever divorces his wife and marries another commits adultery; and whoever marries her who is divorced from her husband commits adultery. (Luke 16:14-18)

By this last statement, He appears to be saying the commandment not to commit adultery will continue, in spite of the Jewish leadership acting as if they were upholding the law when in reality they were not. In such a context, "the law and the prophets were until John" doesn't mean they would be discontinued or set aside, but to the contrary that they would be upheld, but after the heart and not simply by the letter of the law. The Pharisees were justifying themselves before men because they were "abiding by the law" in filing for divorce, but as He informed them elsewhere, that provision was added by the Lord because of the hardness of their hearts.

Again, this is why Jesus said to the disciples, "Unless your righteousness exceeds that of the Pharisees, you will not enter into the kingdom of Heaven," and why Paul taught the following concerning believing Gentiles:

12 As many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law 13 (for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified; 14 for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, 15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them) 16 in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.

17 Indeed you are called a Jew, and rest on the law, and make your boast in God, 18 and know His will, and approve the things that are excellent, being instructed out of the law, 19 and are confident that you yourself are a guide to the blind, a light to those who are in darkness, 20 an instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, having the form of knowledge and truth in the law. 21 You, therefore, who teach another, do you not teach yourself? You who preach that a man should not steal, do you steal? 22 You who say, “Do not commit adultery,” do you commit adultery? You who abhor idols, do you rob temples? 23 You who make your boast in the law, do you dishonor God through breaking the law? 24 For “the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you,” as it is written.

25 For circumcision is indeed profitable if you keep the law; but if you are a breaker of the law, your circumcision has become uncircumcision. 26 Therefore, if an uncircumcised man keeps the righteous requirements of the law, will not his uncircumcision be counted as circumcision? 27 And will not the physically uncircumcised, if he fulfills the law, judge you who, even with your written code and circumcision, are a transgressor of the law? 28 For he is not a Jew who is one outwardly, nor is circumcision that which is outward in the flesh; 29 but he is a Jew who is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the Spirit, not in the letter; whose praise is not from men but from God. (Romans 2:12-29)

Why do you need external commandments if Jesus sent us the Holy Spirit to guide us into all truth? The laws -- all of them including the so-called moral parts of the law -- are external, i.e., they are not a part of us. The Holy Spirit is internal; He is to be our guide, not some limited set of external rules.

I know you do not understand as for some reason you do not see the truth of this, so let's stop going back and forth about this issue. I am guided by the Holy Spirit internally. Period.
Is God's greatest commandment of love external or internal? Answer this and maybe we can both come to the same understanding of truth in how we are to treat others as we would want to be treated.

"For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth" (KJV)

Greetings, Jaybo.

Christ cannot be the "end" of the law itself, only "the end of the law for righteousness." No one is getting to Heaven now on their own righteousness, as it is only through faith in Christ's sacrifice on their behalf, and thus by His grace. But obedience to the law is nevertheless required by God, not circumcision or the uncleanliness laws, which are fulfilled spiritually now, but the highest commands in the law which still stand to this day: To love God the Lord your God with your whole heart, TRULY, and love your neighbor as yourself. No one is getting to Heaven without loving God.

Is God's greatest commandment of love external or internal? Answer this and maybe we can both come to the same understanding of truth in how we are to treat others as we would want to be treated.
All commandments are external. One can be commanded to love others but obviously that can't be done externally, i.e., by one's own will. "I will love my neighbor" gets one nowhere. Love must come from an internal source: the Holy Spirit.
The command to love your neighbor, being part of the law, i.e., the Old Covenant, is impossible to do without the Holy Spirit. If not, why did Jesus die?

The existing moral laws (commandments) for all of us to still follow as in prayers and blessings, love and brotherhood. The poor and unfortunate, treatment of the Gentiles, Marriage, divorce and family. Forbidden sexual relations, business practices, employees and servants. Vows, oaths, swearing, Court and Judicial procedures. Injuries and damages, property and property rights, criminal laws. Prophecy, idolatry and all its practices as the moral laws (commandments) keep us in line with the will of God.

Here is the reason I keep bring up only the moral parts of the law as the rest of the laws have been fulfilled in God's righteousness through Christ Jesus and His finished works on the cross.

How do we keep all these moral laws is by the greatest commandment of love and the second is like it that we love our neighbor as ourselves in all that I have listed here. All things are to be done in love so others will see the light of Christ shine through us.

Mat 22:36 Master, which is the great commandment in the law?
Mat 22:37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
Mat 22:38 This is the first and great commandment.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Mat 22:40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Mat 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Greetings, Jaybo.

Christ cannot be the "end" of the law itself, only "the end of the law for righteousness." No one is getting to Heaven now on their own righteousness, as it is only through faith in Christ's sacrifice on their behalf, and thus by His grace. But obedience to the law is nevertheless required by God, not circumcision or the uncleanliness laws, which are fulfilled spiritually now, but the highest commands in the law which still stand to this day: To love God the Lord your God with your whole heart, TRULY, and love your neighbor as yourself. No one is getting to Heaven without loving God.
But that's not what the Bible says. Please read my post #240 so I don't have to repeat myself. If you really believe that obedience to the law is nevertheless required by God, you are missing the main point of the New Covenant. You're either under law or under grace; there is no mix-and-match.

I have two grandchildren. Is a command really necessary for me to love them?

The Corinthians were believers in the Lord Jesus Christ, yet they were caught up in all sorts of division and strife, as were the Jewish Christians James wrote to. Both groups of believers during New Testament times were quenching the Spirit of God by giving themselves over to strife, and as James said, outright cursing their own brethren in Christ over doctrinal division.

Were commandments necessary in such instances? Apparently they were, because despite being genuine believers who had tasted of the heavenly gift, they were not "loving" their brethren the way God wanted them to.

You're either under law or under grace; there is no mix-and-match.

I teach that we are under grace, but as Paul said, some things he taught were "hard to understand." The primary issue is this: We are saved by grace, but we can have that grace rescinded if we take it for granted and are unwilling to make Him Lord over our lives and act accordingly.

Do we have to become perfectly sinless? Of course not, but refusing to make Him Lord while still expecting Him to be our Savior is an error in both judgment and common sense, one many may unfortunately pay for in eternity.

I will read your post, and thanks for the heads up.

Please read my post #240 so I don't have to repeat myself.

Are you sure you meant #240?

Post #240 is written by Hopeful, and reads as follows:
So Jesus was defiled by evil thoughts?
I hope you can see the error of that line of thought, as Jesus, with those baptized into Him, don't allow evil thoughts to defile us or anyone else by us.
That is the testimony of the Lord's death and resurrection on earth today.

I have two grandchildren. Is a command really necessary for me to love them?
What causes you to love them? Many love their grandchildren and are not Christ's own nor filled with the Holy Spirit. Love in itself is an internal emotion/action towards another.

This whole discussion of the law of God being applicable to those of us in Christ can be summarized in one important verse: Romans 10:4, "Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes." (NIV) or "For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth" (KJV) or "For Christ is the end of the law, with the result that there is righteousness for everyone who believes." (NET) or (pick your translation...)

That's the fundamental difference between the two covenants. Nothing more needs to be said.
Matthew 4:4 says to live by every word of God
Matthew 5:19 says the least are those who do away with the law - the freat are those who keep God's laws
Romans 3:31 says establish rather than do away with God's law
Matthew 5:17 says the new does not abolish God's laws
Matthew 5:18 says until heaven and earth pass away not the smallest part of God's laws will pass away

the difference between the 2 covenants is the new is God's laws written on the heart and mind so all can know God by His Spirit rather than by the flesh - the flesh being the weakness of the 1st covenant - Romans 8:8 - Hebrews 8:8-12 - so the fault was not with the covenant but with them/their flesh - Romans 8:8 - paul's entire message on the new covenant life being flesh vs Spirit -

Romans 10:4 and Romans 3:20 says the end of the law FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS - FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS means to be right and acceptable to God - nothing more nothing less - God's laws are still around as reproof instruction correction doctrine - DOCTINE means principles to live by - 2 Timothy 3:16

What causes you to love them? Many love their grandchildren and are not Christ's own nor filled with the Holy Spirit. Love in itself is an internal emotion/action towards another.
Do you know what doesn't cause me to love them? The law! I love them because love is from God. Period.

Do you know what doesn't cause me to love them? The law! I love them because love is from God. Period.
so then you love them by your flesh rather than the Spirit? - paul warns against that

in the New Covenant God said He writes His laws on the heart and mind - that is the truth - Hebrews 10:16 - Hebrews 8:10 - same laws as always - just written on the heart and mind

so all credit goes back to God and His holy laws - and His Holy Spirit - and His holy covenant - none to the flesh

Matthew 4:4 says to live by every word of God
Matthew 5:19 says the least are those who do away with the law - the freat are those who keep God's laws
Romans 3:31 says establish rather than do away with God's law
Matthew 5:17 says the new does not abolish God's laws
Matthew 5:18 says until heaven and earth pass away not the smallest part of God's laws will pass away

the difference between the 2 covenants is the new is God's laws written on the heart and mind so all can know God by His Spirit rather than by the flesh - the flesh being the weakness of the 1st covenant - Romans 8:8 - Hebrews 8:8-12 - so the fault was not with the covenant but with them/their flesh - Romans 8:8 - paul's entire message on the new covenant life being flesh vs Spirit -

Romans 10:4 and Romans 3:20 says the end of the law FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS - FOR RIGHTEOUSNESS means to be right and acceptable to God - nothing more nothing less - God's laws are still around as reproof instruction correction doctrine - DOCTINE means principles to live by - 2 Timothy 3:16
A horse has four legs; a dog has four legs. Therefore, there is no difference between a horse and a dog.

Same faulty logic.

Romans 3:20-22, "Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God’s sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin. But now apart from the law the righteousness of God has been made known, to which the Law and the Prophets testify. This righteousness is given through faith in Jesus Christ to all who believe."

Romans 10:4, " For Christ is the end of the law, with the result that there is righteousness for everyone who believes."

We can agree that God's laws are still around as reproof instruction correction doctrine -- but this applies only to those under the law.

Romans 6:14, "For sin will have no mastery over you, because you are not under law but under grace.
Romans 7:6, "But now we have been released from the law, because we have died to what controlled us, so that we may serve in the new life of the Spirit and not under the old written code."
Galatians 3:10, "For all who rely on doing the works of the law are under a curse, because it is written, “Cursed is everyone who does not keep on doing everything written in the book of the law.”

Galatians 5:18, "But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law."

These verses make it clear as clear can be: you're either led by the Holy Spirit or you're led by the (Old Covenant) law. There is no both!

so then you love them by your flesh rather than the Spirit? - paul warns against that

in the New Covenant God said He writes His laws on the heart and mind - that is the truth - Hebrews 10:16 - Hebrews 8:10 - same laws as always - just written on the heart and mind

so all credit goes back to God and His holy laws - and His Holy Spirit - and His holy covenant - none to the flesh

I never said (or implied) that I love them by my flesh rather than the Spirit. Why are you twisting my words??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back