Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Bible Study Jesus Is Not Your Buddy.

Tenchi

Colossians 1:15-20
15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation.
16 For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created through Him and for Him.
17 He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.
18 He is also head of the body, the church; and He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, so that He Himself will come to have first place in everything.
19 For it was the Father's good pleasure for all the fullness to dwell in Him,
20 and through Him to reconcile all things to Himself, having made peace through the blood of His cross; through Him, I say, whether things on earth or things in heaven.

Jesus is not your buddy. Oh, he loves you dearly, of course, setting aside his heavenly glory, enduring deep humiliation in becoming human, and dying for you at the hands of evil men so that you might escape the penalty and power of your sin and enjoy daily fellowship with God the Father (Philippians 2:5-9; 2 Corinthians 5:21; 1 John 1:3). Yes, Jesus’s love for you is pretty shocking, actually. But this doesn’t mean we can approach him any old way we like.

Modern, western Christians, though, are eager for a relatable Savior, a God with whom they can “connect.” Often, this means God is brought down to a human level, his deity subjected to his humanity. We can, after all, relate best with someone who’s just like us. And so, many western Christians shape Jesus after their own image: For some, he is made into a sort of semi-boyfriend, a near-lover in whose arms they can be held, and upon whose chest they can rest their head, looking up into his startling blue eyes, his creamy skin glowing faintly with supernatural light, inspiring pseudo-romantic emotions of admiration, affection and perhaps even passion (but of a holy sort, naturally). Others want a snuggle-toy, a kind of security-blanket-Jesus who lifts them onto his lap, hugging and protecting them from all of life’s difficulties; he’ll make them feel warm, and safe, and confident that everything’s going to be all right. Still others want a “dude,” a best-bud they can take with them fishing, or to the football game, or to the gym; who always approves and supports whatever they’re doing; a kind of positive life-coach with whom they can just “let it all hang out” and feel accepted and encouraged.

Each of these kinds of Jesus draw from human experience and desire, conforming the Creator, Savior and Lord of All, to a finite, earthly frame of reference. “So what?” some rejoin, “Did he not become one of us? Does he not ‘remember that we are dust’? Was he not in all points tempted like we are? Jesus has walked in our shoes as a human being, suffering hunger, thirst, and tiredness, sore feet and aching muscles, cold and heat, and terrible pain, and so we do no wrong in approaching him as one of us. That was the whole point, wasn’t it, of his becoming a man? He came to earth so that he might better relate with us.”

Is this really the case? Did Jesus come to earth to be our boyfriend, security blanket or buddy? Is Jesus one of us? Are we his equal or near-equal and able therefore to interact with him as such? Not hardly.

The Incarnation wasn’t aimed at relatability, but at atonement and redemption. Jesus came to earth to be “the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world” (John 1:29), our Redeemer and Savior. His goal in becoming the God-Man was to make a way through himself for sinners to be reconciled to their holy Maker, not to make us comfortable with a human-sized God.

After his resurrection, Jesus returned to his heavenly glory. We are given a description of who he is now in the Revelation of the apostle John:

Revelation 1:12-18
12 And I turned to see the voice that spoke to me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks;
13 And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the feet, and girded about the chest with a golden band.
14 His head and his hair were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;
15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if refined in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.
16 And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp two-edged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shining in its strength.
17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, “Fear not; I am the first and the last:
18 I am he who lives, and was dead; and, behold, I live forevermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

Jesus is our Friend, but he is unlike any other friend we might have. As John’s description here reveals, we are not dealing with just another human that we can approach as it suits us to do. Forget snuggling up to Jesus; like John, seeing the glorified and ascended Christ would drop you to the ground in terror! Imagine staring into the flaming eyes of Jesus, his face radiating light like the noon-day sun! I doubt sentimental, semi-romantic thoughts would fill your mind. How snuggly do you think you would find God the Son, in whose hand seven stars are held and out of whose mouth flies a two-edged sword? Not very, I suspect. How chummy would you be with the One who holds the keys of Hell and Death, who is the Almighty Alpha and Omega, whose voice roars like crashing waves of the ocean? Are you really going to just hang out with him watching Netflix, or playing God of War? I think not.

Yes, Jesus is our Friend – the best we can possibly have - but he is also our Creator, Savior and Lord. When we approach him, it is to a heavenly King seated on his throne (Hebrews 4:16); when we come to our Savior, it is to he who is “the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation”; when we “draw near in full assurance of faith” to Christ, we find ourselves before the Creator and Sustainer of All Things, in whom everything holds together. Can we be casual, then, about our interactions with him? Ought we to make Christ a snuggle-toy, or boyfriend, or buddy? Obviously not.

Our salvation is not an end in itself. Beyond our redemption through Christ there is fellowship with God (1 Corinthians 1:9; 2 Corinthians 13:13; 1 John 1:3). But in our pursuit of intimate communion with God we must be careful not to diminish with whom we are interacting, to make God so relatable He becomes a mirror of us rather than our Master. We cannot properly fellowship with God when we’ve distorted Him into a buddy, boyfriend, or snuggle toy. No such God exists; those who think He does, worship their own imagination, they worship, really, themselves.

The comfort, rest and peace we find in God, the strength and joy we derive in walking with Him, arises, not from making God small, making Him as human as possible, but from seeing God “high and lifted up,” in all His stunning glory and power ruling the universe, but stooping in infinite grace and mercy to love us, too.

Revelation 19:11-16
11 Then I saw heaven opened, and behold, a white horse! The one sitting on it is called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he judges and makes war.
12 His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself.
13 He is clothed in a robe dipped in blood, and the name by which he is called is The Word of God.
14 And the armies of heaven, arrayed in fine linen, white and pure, were following him on white horses.
15 From his mouth comes a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations, and he will rule them with a rod of iron. He will tread the winepress of the fury of the wrath of God the Almighty.
16 On his robe and on his thigh he has a name written, King of kings and Lord of lords.

Isaiah 6:1-3
1 … I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple.
2 Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew.
3 And one called to another and said: “Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts; the whole earth is full of his glory!”

1 Peter 5:6-7
6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you,
7 casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you.

Romans 12:1
1 I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship.

Jesus calls us His friend and no longer a servant John 15:13-17. He wants us to talk with Him, laugh with Him, love Him and take Him everywhere we go. He wants to pick us up and hold us in His arms to comfort us and protect us in time of need. A buddy is a best friend and that is what Jesus is being our best friend for no greater love is there that one lays His life down for another as He calls us friend. Jesus wants us to walk in obedience to God's commands and when we do this then we have a life that is pleasing to Him. Who would not want to be pleasing to their best friend.

What you are saying makes others seem like it's impossible to approach Him, as best have to fear Him, or at least that is how I read it.

He wants us to talk with Him, laugh with Him, love Him and take Him everywhere we go.

Yes, we ought to talk to God.

Yes, he we ought to love God.

But where does Scripture say God wants us to laugh with Him?

And God intends, not that we take Him with us wherever we go, but that we understand that in him we live, and move, and have our being. He is our Life, not just a companion.

He wants to pick us up and hold us in His arms to comfort us and protect us in time of need.

Chapter and verse, please. I know of no place in God's word where He says He wants to pick us up and hold us in His arms. This is the unbiblical, semi-romantic sentimentalism that I addressed in my OP.

A buddy is a best friend and that is what Jesus is being our best friend for no greater love is there that one lays His life down for another as He calls us friend. Jesus wants us to walk in obedience to God's commands and when we do this then we have a life that is pleasing to Him. Who would not want to be pleasing to their best friend.

This doesn't address anything I pointed out in my OP, really. As I explained, Jesus is our friend but he is not our buddy. Jesus is God, his face shines like the sun, his eyes are like fire, his voice is like the sound of many waters, he holds seven stars in his hand, and a two-edged sword goes out from his mouth. Jesus is our Creator, the Alpha and Omega, holding the keys of hell and death. You have no buddy, no friend, who is anything like this. And this fact ought to be reflected in how you approach and interact with him.

What you are saying makes others seem like it's impossible to approach Him, as best have to fear Him, or at least that is how I read it.

Then you should read what I wrote again. I took pains to explain that Jesus is not far from any of us; but though he has made a way for us to enjoy intimate communion with him, that communion cannot be casual, careless, disrespectful or ordered by our preferences and desires.

I think 🤔 part of the problem is how modern cultures tend to view friendships. An acquaintance from the Netherlands tells me it’s far worse in the USA. Friend is an overused term; within friendships informality and casual interaction are emphasized etc…

So as with a lot of understanding scripture it has everything to do with people in a much different culture not being given sociohistorical context.

But where does Scripture say God wants us to laugh with Him?
Genesis 21:6; Job 8:21; Proverbs 17:22; Luke 6:21; 1Peter 1:8
And God intends, not that we take Him with us wherever we go
Deuteronomy 31:8; Joshua 1:9; Psalms 139:1-12; 1Corinthians 3:16; 1John 3:24
I know of no place in God's word where He says He wants to pick us up and hold us in His arms.
Psalms 139:10; Isaiah 40:11; 41:13; 63:9
You have no buddy, no friend, who is anything like this. And this fact ought to be reflected in how you approach and interact with him.
Ah, yes I do as Jesus is my best friend above all friends I have here on earth in whom will never leave me nor forsake me as He calls me friend. A buddy is a close friend that you want to spend time with as we spend our time with Jesus talking to him, praying to Him, giving Him praise, glory and honor as we worship Him. Taking Him with us wherever we go giving Him first place in our life. It's called an intimate relationship with Him.

Intimacy with God: Psalms 42:1-2; 63:1-11; 139:1-24; James 4:8; John 15:4-6; 17:22-23; Philippians 3:10; Zephaniah 3:17

Do you know what the difference is between description and prescription? I'm sure you do. You probably also recognize that a verse is best understood within its immediate context. So, I'm wondering why you've plucked out these verses in the way you have, ignoring context and appearing to confuse description with prescription.

Genesis 21:5-7
5 And Abraham was an hundred years old, when his son Isaac was born unto him.
6 And Sarah said, God has made me to laugh, so that all that hear will laugh with me.
7 And she said, Who would have said unto Abraham, that Sarah should have given children suck? for I have born him a son in his old age.

The laughter of Sarah in this instance was the laughter of incredulity, of surprise, at the fulfillment of God's promise to herself and Abraham. It was also laughter arising from the oddity of a very old woman "giving suck" to an infant (vs. 7). Was God laughing with Sarah here as you contend He wants to? The passage doesn't say. Did God find her surprise and amusement at the strangeness of giving birth as an old woman a cause of laughter, too? Again, there's no suggestion He did. I don't see, then, how this verse helps your case any. God wants to laugh with us? Sarah's incredulous laughter doesn't appear to me to illustrate this at all.

Job 8:20-22
20 Behold, God will not cast away a perfect man, neither will he help the evil doers:
21 Till he fill your mouth with laughing, and your lips with rejoicing.
22 They that hate you shall be clothed with shame; and the dwelling place of the wicked shall come to nothing.

So, where is the "God wants to laugh with us" statement in this passage? God has made all human beings capable of laughter. Many times, though, people laugh for reasons that have nothing to do with God and that often offend Him greatly. It doesn't follow, then, that because a man laughs, God is laughing with him and wants to do so.

Anyway, Bildad is speaking very broadly, on the level of general principle, in the verses above. As Job's own circumstance revealed, there are exceptions to Bildad's assertions. If it suits His purposes, God will strip a man of all the good things in his life, allowing the devil to bring destruction to his world and body. Read Isaiah 53 that paints a very grim, prophetic picture of the "man of sorrows," Jesus Christ. Consider 2 Corinthians 11:22-28 where Paul detailed the suffering he endured for Christ's sake. Remember that the apostle John was boiled in oil and then, having survived, was exiled to the island of Patmos. Peter was crucified upside down. There are many, many examples of God's treatment of His own that sharply defy the idea that "God wants to laugh with us."

In all of the New Testament, you were unable to find a single verse that could serve as explicit, concrete ground for the idea that "God wants to laugh with us." That should suggest to you the profound scriptural weakness of your statement. Here's a counter passage for you, though:

James 4:6-10
6 But He gives a greater grace. Therefore it says, "God is opposed to the proud, but gives grace to the humble."
7 Submit therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
8 Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded.
9 Be miserable and mourn and weep; let your laughter be turned into mourning and your joy to gloom.
10 Humble yourselves in the presence of the Lord, and He will exalt you.

This is the one verse I know of in the entire NT that mentions laughter and it is telling us to STOP laughing as part of the process of repentance necessary to properly walking with God.

Proverbs 17:22
22 A joyful heart is good medicine, But a broken spirit dries up the bones.

This is a general statement, applying as much to the non-believer, the God-hater, as to the born-again believer. And, again, it doesn't say "God wants to laugh with us." He has made us all capable of humor and laughter and this indicates, I believe, that God has a sense of humor and an appreciation for merriness. But on the list of what is important to God, what He wants from, and with, us, laughter is not near the top at all. God will put His children in deep misery, terrible suffering, if it serves His purposes to do so. In that suffering, it won't be the opportunity to laugh that will sustain God's children, but a deep certainty in the presence and goodness of God, and His faithfulness in keeping His promise to His children to bring them, in the end, into glory so awesome that their suffering will not even begin to compare to it. (Romans 8:17)

Luke 6:20-21
20 And turning His gaze toward His disciples, He began to say, "Blessed are you who are poor, for yours is the kingdom of God.
21 "Blessed are you who hunger now, for you shall be satisfied. Blessed are you who weep now, for you shall laugh.

Once more, the "God wants to laugh with us" assertion doesn't appear in your proof-text. Yes, for those who are God's, one day, weeping shall subside and joyful laughter will take its place. But as I've already explained, the Bible is replete with examples of those who, in service to God, did a whole lot more weeping than laughing, who endured suffering, not circumstances filled with humor and happiness.

1 Peter 1:7-9
7 so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
8 and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory,
9 obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls.

No mention of laughter in this passage, nor is there a statement to the effect that "God wants to laugh with us." In the verses above, Peter is speaking of the fiery testing of the believers' faith, which can be endured with "joy inexpressible and full of glory" - not laughter - because the believer loves and trusts in Christ despite the suffering they endure for his sake. Do we read of Paul laughing often though he endured beatings, near-drowning, death-threats, hunger, cold and imprisonment? No. But he was deeply joyful. Do the Gospels record a laughing Jesus, a high-humored, back-slapping Savior, always ready with a joke, always seeing the funny side of things? No. Quite the opposite, actually. Again, read Isaiah 53.

None of these verses indicate that we "take God with us" everywhere we go. God is already everywhere; He's omnipresent.

Psalm 139:7-12
7 Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?
8 If I ascend to heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in Sheol, behold, You are there.
9 If I take the wings of the dawn, If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea,
10 Even there Your hand will lead me, And Your right hand will lay hold of me.
11 If I say, "Surely the darkness will overwhelm me, And the light around me will be night,"
12 Even the darkness is not dark to You, And the night is as bright as the day. Darkness and light are alike
to You.

As a person indwelt by the Holy Spirit, God is always as close as thought to me. And God has promised that He will "never leave me nor forsake me" (Hebrews 13:5). In this circumstance, I have no choice but to be in God's company everywhere I go. So, I don't "take God with me" as though, like a pet, or handbag, I could choose not to take Him with me.

Psalm 139:9-10
9 If I take the wings of the dawn, If I dwell in the remotest part of the sea,
10 Even there Your hand will lead me, And Your right hand will lay hold of me.

So, where's the "God will pick me up in His arms and hold me" bit in these verses? God's hand leading me has nothing to do with God snuggling me. "Your hand will lead me" is simply a way of saying "God will clearly direct me." This is true also of "your right hand will lay hold of me." The phrase "lay hold of" actually suggests, not snuggling, but seizing, or snatching, and the general idea in these verses is that God is present with me even if I dwell in the "remotest part of the sea." There is no ground in these verses, then, for asserting that God wants to "pick me up and hold me in His arms." But this is often the result when you proof-text in the way that have in your post.

Isaiah 40:9-11
9 Get yourself up on a high mountain, O Zion, bearer of good news, Lift up your voice mightily, O Jerusalem, bearer of good news; Lift it up, do not fear. Say to the cities of Judah, "Here is your God!"
10 Behold, the Lord GOD will come with might, With His arm ruling for Him. Behold, His reward is with Him And His recompense before Him.
11 Like a shepherd He will tend His flock, In His arm He will gather the lambs And carry them in His bosom; He will gently lead the nursing
ewes.

In this passage Isaiah is using a simile for the care of God for His own (in this instance, Israel). Does God literally want to carry the Jewish people in His arms? Did He ever actually do so? No. God's attitude toward His Chosen People is that of a gentle, caring Shepherd, but how this is shown is not by God actually picking them up in His arms and snuggling them.

Isaiah 41:13-14
13 "For I am the LORD your God, who upholds your right hand, Who says to you, 'Do not fear, I will help you.'
14 "Do not fear, you worm Jacob, you men of Israel; I will help you," declares the LORD, "and your Redeemer is the Holy One of Israel.

Again, it appears you've just snatched verses that vaguely seem to suggest what you've asserted about God, but as far as I can see, this verse doesn't support your "God wants to pick me up and hold me in His arms" idea at all. God promises to help His Chosen People but how this translates to "I want to snuggle you," I don't understand.

Isaiah 63:8-10
8 For He said, "Surely, they are My people, Sons who will not deal falsely." So He became their Savior.
9 In all their affliction He was afflicted, And the angel of His presence saved them; In His love and in His mercy He redeemed them, And He lifted them and carried them all the days of old.
10 But they rebelled And grieved His Holy Spirit; Therefore He turned Himself to become their enemy, He fought against them.

As often happens, in context, verses that seem to help a view when separated from their context actually contradict the view - as in this instance. Though there is nothing about God wanting to snuggle His Chosen People in this passage, it does give a dire warning to those who "grieved His Holy Spirit": God would become an enemy to them, fighting against them! I have no idea how this can be regarded as a "God wants to snuggle you" proof-text.

Ah, yes I do as Jesus is my best friend above all friends I have here on earth

This is true, not just in terms of priority, but of nature, too. This was, actually my point. In Christ's nature, he is entirely separate from us, residing in heaven in a glorified state described in Revelation 1:12-18 that is profoundly different from any human friend we may have. In light of this, we are to approach Christ with reverence, with a deep respect and awe, that we would never have for another human person. I don't know about you, but for those I would regard as my buddies, it is a familiarity and irreverence that marks my interactions with, and attitudes toward, them. I would never treat my Savior and Creator, my God and King, like I would treat even my closest human friends. Jesus is, as I've already explained, in a unique category all by himself, his divine nature shapes and constrains my friendship with him very profoundly. It must; and if it doesn't, if I deal with him casually, with a lack of due reverence, respect, and humility, I sin.

1 Peter 5:6
James 4:6-10
Romans 6:13-22
Romans 12:1

It's called an intimate relationship with Him.

What you describe as an "intimate relationship" with Christ is actually a very superficial, very human version of the fellowship God intends you should have with Him. When Christ is your very Life, when he is situated in your thinking and living as such, then you'll enjoy real intimate communion with God. But so long as he is merely your "buddy," you will never enjoy Him as He intends you should.

Last edited:
I think 💭 of cs Lewis and his constant emphasis on human beings as the creature and God as the creator. Knowing God is good but it’s as a creature knows his creator…

There are roles and limitations on our end…

this side of heaven I’d say close yes living yes friendly? Not sure?
If you are replying to my question... and as we know things on this Earth can be considered as an analogy of the eternal state... you are saying that the Bride should not be friendly with the Bridegroom?

If I got that right, and I think I did... would you marry someone who was not friendly with you?

So your position is that being a friend of God would be inappropriate for the Bride of Christ.

So if I display affection and friendship with my spouse before marriage it is wrong somehow?

Sound like you have a weird view of marriage and courtship.

If you are replying to my question... and as we know things on this Earth can be considered as an analogy of the eternal state... you are saying that the Bride should not be friendly with the Bridegroom?

If I got that right, and I think I did... would you marry someone who was not friendly with you?

So your position is that being a friend of God would be inappropriate for the Bride of Christ.

So if I display affection and friendship with my spouse before marriage it is wrong somehow?

Sound like you have a weird view of marriage and courtship.
Not as a peer ,do you call your biological father by his name and treat him as having no respect or reverence?

God is much more in that ,creator ,Holy and John being called by Jesus his beloved and said of the apostles one of the closest and he saw Jesus and fell flat as if dead .

My dad is dead ,I miss him.sure I had to laugh at his foibles.but God isn't gonna have flaws and foibles and you would have to know my dad .
He could embarrass himself and you in one minute and as a kid you had to laugh but keep it yourself .

It's who he was and I seem to do that also .I have to laugh at that too .not so with God

Not as a peer ,do you call your biological father by his name and treat him as having no respect or reverence?
Sometimes as a peer. Yea I use his first name often. Without respect... that is your addition to the conversation.
God is much more in that ,creator ,Holy and John being called by Jesus his beloved and said of the apostles one of the closest and he saw Jesus and fell flat as if dead .
When Jesus was glorified... of course.
what does that have to do with the idea of Abba?
My dad is dead ,I miss him.sure I had to laugh at his foibles.but God isn't gonna have flaws and foibles and you would have to know my dad .
Same here.
He could embarrass himself and you in one minute and as a kid you had to laugh but keep it yourself .
No you did not have to... you chose to.
If you would have laughed at your dad... would he disown you?
It's who he was and I seem to do that also .I have to laugh at that too .not so with God
So you are getting you opinion of God solely from your earthly father. Whereas I start with my worldly father but only as a rough template. My God is much more forgiving that yours seems to be.

Last edited:
Just to be clear: I have not said one does not have a Friend in Jesus. I have repeatedly said the opposite in this thread, in fact. Jesus is the greatest Friend one can ever hope to have; but he is unique, totally unlike any other friend we have. Most importantly, Jesus is God, he is our Creator, Savior, Lord and King, as well as our Friend. We must not treat him, then, as we do all our other merely human friends, with casualness, and disrespect, and irreverence. And so, in the Bible, we are described in relation to God as sheep to Shepherd (John 10), vessel and bondservant to Master (2 Timothy 2:21; Romans 6:13-21), branch to Vine (John 15:1-5), child to Heavenly Father (Romans 8:15) - all relationships of the lesser to the greater, inferior to Superior.

Too often today professing Christians want to make God, to make Christ small, human-sized, actually, so that they feel more comfortable with Him, so that he feels more "relatable," which is to say more like an equal. Humans do this with everything, trying to conform our world to our human frame of reference. Just watch a Disney cartoon full of talking dogs, or mice, or teapots, or lions, who carry on (more or less) just like human beings; think of the ancient pantheon of gods of Rome who were just super-powered humans prone to all the impulses, desires and evil of the human race; consider how often "god-like" characters in stories and movies are basically human beings with a whole lot of power, finite, ignorant and selfish and brought down by less powerful but clever, determined humans working together. We want a small God, one that we can turn into a boyfriend, or snuggle-toy, or co-pilot, not one who is able to cast both body and soul into hell (Matthew 10:28), not one who sustains our entire existence, moment by moment, by his will and power (Hebrews 1:1-3; Colossians 1:15-17), not one to whom we will give an account for every word we've said and every deed we've done (Romans 14:12; Matthew 12:36; Matthew 16:27).

Strangely, despite these facts, some Christians are so in the habit of diminishing God and Christ, of making them fit into a human-sized box, so much used to making Jesus into a mirror rather than a Master, that they act as though none of these things are so, responding with a trite and facile, "No he's not." They will have a tiny Jesus, a human Jesus, a trivial Jesus no matter what the Bible says. He's more comfortable, you see, this way, safer and predictable. Never mind that such a Jesus doesn't actually exist.

Just to be clear: I have not said one does not have a Friend in Jesus. I have repeatedly said the opposite in this thread, in fact. Jesus is the greatest Friend one can ever hope to have; but he is unique, totally unlike any other friend we have. Most importantly, Jesus is God, he is our Creator, Savior, Lord and King, as well as our Friend. We must not treat him, then, as we do all our other merely human friends, with casualness, and disrespect, and irreverence. And so, in the Bible, we are described in relation to God as sheep to Shepherd (John 10), vessel and bondservant to Master (2 Timothy 2:21; Romans 6:13-21), branch to Vine (John 15:1-5), child to Heavenly Father (Romans 8:15) - all relationships of the lesser to the greater, inferior to Superior.
Your descriptions of the relationship sounds rather Islamic.
Don't forget Bride and Bridegroom.
A Friend that sticks closer than a brother.
One body with Christ as the Head.
One building with Christ the Chief Cornerstone.

These descriptions are very intimate and much more than your limited examples.
Why did you not include them here?
Please listen to people before casting the first stone.
Too often today professing Christians want to make God, to make Christ small, human-sized, actually, so that they feel more comfortable with Him, so that he feels more "relatable," which is to say more like an equal. Humans do this with everything, trying to conform our world to our human frame of reference. Just watch a Disney cartoon full of talking dogs, or mice, or teapots, or lions, who carry on (more or less) just like human beings; think of the ancient pantheon of gods of Rome who were just super-powered humans prone to all the impulses, desires and evil of the human race; consider how often "god-like" characters in stories and movies are basically human beings with a whole lot of power, finite, ignorant and selfish and brought down by less powerful but clever, determined humans working together. We want a small God, one that we can turn into a boyfriend, or snuggle-toy, or co-pilot, not one who is able to cast both body and soul into hell (Matthew 10:28), not one who sustains our entire existence, moment by moment, by his will and power (Hebrews 1:1-3; Colossians 1:15-17), not one to whom we will give an account for every word we've said and every deed we've done (Romans 14:12; Matthew 12:36; Matthew 16:27).

Strangely, despite these facts, some Christians are so in the habit of diminishing God and Christ, of making them fit into a human-sized box, so much used to making Jesus into a mirror rather than a Master, that they act as though none of these things are so, responding with a trite and facile, "No he's not." They will have a tiny Jesus, a human Jesus, a trivial Jesus no matter what the Bible says. He's more comfortable, you see, this way, safer and predictable. Never mind that such a Jesus doesn't actually exist.
Both these paragraphs are supposition of what other Christians make Christ out to be.
Why not let Christians answer for themselves.
If they put God in a small box that can be addressed, but you presuppose what other Christians are doing with their views of God.
You may have some experience with Christians that say such things... but try letting the people you are talking to express themselves in their own words before passing judgements.

Sometimes as a peer. Yea I use his first name often. Without respect... that is your addition to the conversation.

When Jesus was glorified... of course.
what doea that have to do with the idea of Abba?

Same here.

No ypu did not have to... you chose to.
If you would have laighed at your dad... would he disown you?

So you are getting you opinion of God solely from your earthly father. Whereas I start with my worldly father but only as a rough template. My God is much more forgiving that yours seems to be.
Tenchi says it best .

We are not equals to God .a friend wouldn't ask you ,create a situation where you die for him.

Jesus asks that for some .behold I will send my prophets and saints to die and their blood will upon you pharisees ..

Tenchis point is that there is a point where we are to see God as one who is in control and at times it looks bad to us but to God has a plan to save others or get glory by our suffering .

Friendly Jesus isn't taught like that .

Your descriptions of the relationship sounds rather Islamic.

This is the logical of fallacy of Guilt by Association. There is nothing Islamic about the biblical descriptions I've offered.

Don't forget Bride and Bridegroom.
The "Bride" of Christ is both figurative and corporate. I am not marrying Jesus; he is not my personal groom. That would suggest a homosexual relationship between Jesus and I, which is an abominable idea. The Church entire is the "Bride" of the Savior, not any single born-again believer. This is why it doesn't figure into the individual Christian's relationship to Christ.

A Friend that sticks closer than a brother.

Closeness does not necessitate - or, in God's case, permit - irreverence, disrespect or casualness toward Christ. The Spirit of Christ, the Holy Spirit, dwells within each born-again person, as close as thought to them. But God says in His word that such closeness makes of us the temple of the Spirit, his habitation bought with the shed blood of Jesus. We don't become near-equals to Christ, back-slapping buddies because the Spirit of Christ lives within us, but a possession of God, bought with a price and obliged thereby to serve Him. (1 Corinthians 3:16-17; 1 Corinthians 6:19-20; Romans 6:13-21)

One body with Christ as the Head.

Again, I haven't denied the intimacy God intends we should have with Him, only the irreverence, the lightness, with which believers try to engage Him. The idea of Christ as Head of the Church, however, describes a position of divine supremacy and pre-eminency over the Church, not a casual familiarity we're invited to have with him.

These descriptions are very intimate and much more than your limited examples.
Why did you not include them here?
Please listen to people before casting the first stone.

See above. And you would do well to take your own advice here. There is almost no serious engagement with what I've written in your responses, only a sort of knee-jerk denial of the biblical truths I've pointed out.

Both these paragraphs are supposition of what other Christians make Christ out to be.

Not suppositions, but real-life experiences I've had repeatedly with believers whom I've discipled over the past thirty years (and whom I'm presently discipling). It's...interesting, though, that the very thing you're accusing me of here - just supposing a thing is so - you've done with me: You have just supposed that my remarks are mere suppositions. They're not. You had only to ask me if they were or not to find out. Instead, you've supposed your view of me here.

If they put God in a small box that can be addressed, but you presuppose what other Christians are doing with their views of God.

See above. If the "shoe" of my OP fits you, put it on. But, if it doesn't, move on.

You may have some experience with Christians that say such things... but try letting the people you are talking to express themselves in their own words before passing judgements.

But people who want to respond to my OP are entirely free to do so in this thread - and they have. I've considered their remarks in the light of God's word and responded accordingly. Did you think the thread would be a one-way thing; that you could be entirely dismissive of my OP, which you were in your first post to this thread, and I should let your dismissiveness pass unremarked? Where would you take up this sort of thinking? As you can see, out of respect for the time and effort of those who've responded, I consider carefully what they write and offer as biblical and thoughtful a response as I can. Doing so doesn't require that I agree to what they write, however.

Back