Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is our answer in times of need.

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

Jesus the Man Before John !

Then we see things differently.
"His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself.
13 And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God." (Rev 19:12-13)

The Word is a man in this scripture, and not a revelation.
On the contrary, Jesus was a revelation of God's Person.

Luke 2.
30 "For my eyes have seen your salvation,
31 which you have prepared in the sight of all nations:
32 a light for revelation to the Gentiles,
and the glory of your people Israel.”

The living soul became in the image and likeness of God. It for sure was not the human body.

Being like God is something we are called to be, not in knowledge, but in nature.

Ephesians 4
24And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.
The text actually says the man became a living soul. And it was the man who was made in the image of God, not the living soul.
The text is correct.

Paul very clearly explains the image of the body in 1 Cor 15:35-49

He speaks of the image of Adam(man) who BECAME a living soul and said he was created a natural body.

1Co 15:45 - And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

Paul says the same exact thing Moses does. It is the man created in the image of God who then became a living soul. It’s not the living soul who is created in the image of God but the man.

When the man dies he becomes a dead soul. When the man is raised from the dead to die no more, he is a spiritual body as opposed the the natural one. But he is still man. The difference is that the one image dies and the other does not.

Jesus was raised from the dead with a body in the image of God. And that body has life eternal and can cause others to be raised as he is. To die no more.

Last edited:
Please don't tell me you're arguing that because God doesn't have brothers but Jesus does, that he therefore cannot be God. That's as bad as Jesus can't be God since God can't be tempted and Jesus was tempted in the wilderness. It's really poor reasoning.

It would help if you capitalize "Son" when referring to Christ. God has one and only one unique Son. Every other child of God is a child by adoption. That is not the case for the Son of God.
Is God your Father or your brother?

The text actually says the man became a living soul. And it was the man who was made in the image of God, not the living soul.
The text is correct.

He speaks of the image of Adam(man) who BECAME a living soul and said he was created a natural body.

1Co 15:45 - And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.

Paul says the same exact thing Moses does. It is the man created in the image of God who then became a living soul. It’s not the living soul who is created in the image of God but the man.

When the man dies he becomes a dead soul. When the man is raised from the dead to die no more, he is a spiritual body as opposed the the natural one. But he is still man. The difference is that the one image dies and the other does not.

Jesus was raised from the dead with a body in the image of God. And that body has life eternal and can cause others to be raised as he is. To die no more.
All of this is a bit confusing to me, and I've sometimes wondered if I have these various passages right? My understanding is that Man, both soul and body, comprise a being made in God's image. That is, the whole man, body and spirit, constitutes a picture of what God is like.

There is no separation of soul from body in describing the Man as the image of God. The whole Man was created to reflect God's likeness. The body without the spirit is not a human soul, and cannot reflect God's likeness at all! And the spirit cannot reflect God's likeness without a body either, since Man was created a spirit to inhabit a body.

Man was created a spirit to inhabit a body. As such, we are called "living souls." But Jesus was unique inasmuch as he was also able to give life to souls who had lost hope of physical continuity. Jesus was able, as both man and God, to forgive our sin and to qualify us for a reconstitution in resurreciton bodies that can no longer die. He was a "life-giving spirit," ie a different kind of human soul, a divine one. And he required a body in order to suffer death and buy us legal release from the process of death.

All of this is a bit confusing to me, and I've sometimes wondered if I have these various passages right? My understanding is that Man, both soul and body, comprise a being made in God's image. That is, the whole man, body and spirit, constitutes a picture of what God is like.

There is no separation of soul from body in describing the Man as the image of God. The whole Man was created to reflect God's likeness. The body without the spirit is not a human soul, and cannot reflect God's likeness at all! And the spirit cannot reflect God's likeness without a body either, since Man was created a spirit to inhabit a body.

Man was created a spirit to inhabit a body. As such, we are called "living souls." But Jesus was unique inasmuch as he was also able to give life to souls who had lost hope of physical continuity. Jesus was able, as both man and God, to forgive our sin and to qualify us for a reconstitution in resurreciton bodies that can no longer die. He was a "life-giving spirit," ie a different kind of human soul, a divine one. And he required a body in order to suffer death and buy us legal release from the process of death.
It very simple actually. Just remove all your preconceived ideas for a moment and read the text. It speaks for itself.

Gen 2:7 - And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

This text is quoted by Paul who says the same thing.

Let’s read.

Let us make man in our image after our likeness.

God formed man of the dust of the ground. God then breathed into Him(man) the breath of life; and the man(he) became a living soul.

That’s what both Moses and Paul say and agree.
And I agree with them.

What was formed from the ground is called man. And what became a living soul with the breath of life is a living man.

Last edited:
Free

I understand your reply to my post as comparing my post with God being tempted. I wasn’t talking about God being tempted though.
However, if God cannot be tempted and Jesus was tempted then it means Jesus as only man was tempted.
The Father cannot be tempted because the Father is not man.
So, you are implying that Jesus has brothers because he is man, not because he is God.

Therefore, the Father is your God and your Father.
Jesus is your God and your brother.
The Holy Spirit is your God and your sanctifier?

Unchecked Copy Box
Heb 2:11 - For both He who sanctifies and those who are being sanctified are all of one, for which reason He is not ashamed to call them brethren,

The above text refers to the Father as can be observed by the fact that they are all of one and can be called brothers. They are all of one Father and therefore can be called brethren. Jesus, like the others, are all of one Father, so he is not ashamed to call them brethren.

Obviously then, if Jesus is your God, He is also your brother.
Correct?

RandyK

Moses said, and Paul agrees, man is what was formed from the ground and became a living soul.

What do the churches teach?

They say the complete opposite. They say what was formed from the ground is not the man made in the image of God, but rather something added to the man is the image of God.

They say one thing, the scripture says another. Who to believe.

You can’t answer the simple question?
Is God your Father or your brother?
Please answer the simple question.

Is He both?
You don't want to address my points and instead play a silly game. I'm not playing. Either address the points I made in my post or don't bother replying.

RandyK

Moses said, and Paul agrees, man is what was formed from the ground and became a living soul.

What do the churches teach?

They say the complete opposite. They say what was formed from the ground is not the man made in the image of God, but rather something added to the man is the image of God.

They say one thing, the scripture says another. Who to believe.
Yes, my experience has been that people think of "God's Image" as being purely spiritual, since "God is spirit." But I believe God made something sturdier, more concrete for "His image" than something only spiritual. He encased our spirits in human bodies to present His image as something tangible, something that can express God's ways in our human works.

And like you I saw in many Christians the tendency to separate the material world from the spiritual world--a kind of Dualism. They thought of the material world as evil, and the spiritual world as the domain where we contact God and do good through Him.

Morality is somewhat ethereal and is often distinguished from works we do in the world, which often reflect evil. So spirituality is thought of as "God's Image," when in reality God's intention was that we "keep the Garden" and reflect His likeness by our good works.

Yes, my experience has been that people think of "God's Image" as being purely spiritual, since "God is spirit." But I believe God made something sturdier, more concrete for "His image" than something only spiritual. He encased our spirits in human bodies to present His image as something tangible, something that can express God's ways in our human works.

And like you I saw in many Christians the tendency to separate the material world from the spiritual world--a kind of Dualism. They thought of the material world as evil, and the spiritual world as the domain where we contact God and do good through Him.

Morality is somewhat ethereal and is often distinguished from works we do in the world, which often reflect evil. So spirituality is thought of as "God's Image," when in reality God's intention was that we "keep the Garden" and reflect His likeness by our good works.
I know the reason the churches reject what Moses and Paul agree on. They have to reject it in order to believe something else. But that’s not the way to learn truth.

After believing what Moses said, I then wanted to know who the “Us” was whom man was created in image and likeness.
I found that the Jews believed it was angels or messengers of God who existed before man is what “Us” refers to.
The idea is that the angels harken to the word of God and do His commands. True from Scripture.
That means the angels have the same image as man.
The next task is to decide what messengers are angels of God who exited prior and what messengers are mortal men. The context determines that.
I found that everywhere messengers were angels of God in context, they are at times called men. An interesting fact. When they appear, they look like man.
So here we go again.
The churches say angels are not man, but the Scriptures says they are called men.
Again the churches say the complete opposite of the Scripture.

I could continue this discussion with you if interested. This is off topic here I guess. Let me know if interested. Maybe could set something up.

On the contrary, Jesus was a revelation of God's Person.

Luke 2.
30 "For my eyes have seen your salvation,
31 which you have prepared in the sight of all nations:
32 a light for revelation to the Gentiles,
and the glory of your people Israel.”
Jesus was the Word; before He took on flesh and was born of a woman as Jesus.

The text is correct.

While God is always described as a Spirit, God is not said to be a soul even though He has a soul (Leviticus 26:11) which would mean that the soul is of God, but not God. So if man is made in the image of God and the man is that living soul, then the man isn't the actual person who is the man, but rather a part of the man.

I believe this approach presents an issue because it essentially separates what a man is into constituent components. Which part(s) of Jesus were sacrificed?

Last edited:
Jesus was the Word; before He took on flesh and was born of a woman as Jesus.
Jesus was and is always the Word of God. But he did not become the *man* Jesus until the Incarnation. The person revealed as Jesus was not the person "Jesus" before he was born. The person revealed as Jesus was, prior to the incarnation, the Person known as God and existed in the form of God's Word such that he could come into existence as a man.

Therefore, Jesus was the Word of God, and took on flesh, becoming a man. And that man was God.

I know the reason the churches reject what Moses and Paul agree on. They have to reject it in order to believe something else. But that’s not the way to learn truth.

After believing what Moses said, I then wanted to know who the “Us” was whom man was created in image and likeness.
I found that the Jews believed it was angels or messengers of God who existed before man is what “Us” refers to.
The idea is that the angels harken to the word of God and do His commands. True from Scripture.
That means the angels have the same image as man.
The next task is to decide what messengers are angels of God who exited prior and what messengers are mortal men. The context determines that.
I found that everywhere messengers were angels of God in context, they are at times called men. An interesting fact. When they appear, they look like man.
So here we go again.
The churches say angels are not man, but the Scriptures says they are called men.
Again the churches say the complete opposite of the Scripture.

I could continue this discussion with you if interested. This is off topic here I guess. Let me know if interested. Maybe could set something up.
Yes, just repost it in a thread you set up. I'm fine discussing almost anything.

While God is always described as a Spirit, God is not said to be a soul even though He has a soul (Leviticus 26:11) which would mean that the soul is of God, but not God. So if man is made in the image of God and the man is that living soul, then the man isn't the actual person who is the man, but rather a part of the man.

I believe this approach presents an issue because it essentially separates what a man is into constituent components. Which part(s) of Jesus were sacrificed?
Again, I suggest we listen to Moses and Paul and stop rejecting them.
They say the man became a living soul. He was not given a soul he became one.
When you look at a living person, you are looking at a living soul who is made in the image and likeness of God.
God said He forbid killing a living soul because they are made in His image. To strike and kill a person is to deface the image of God.

Last edited:
Runningman

Lev 25:1 - And the LORD spoke to Moses on Mount Sinai, saying,

The LORD then gave His laws to Moses.
This was done on Mount Sinai when it is explained in Exodus that Moses had gone to the top where the LORD had descended.
But when Moses asked to see the LORD’s glory, God had said no man can see My face and live. However, God did allow Moses to see His back as God walked away.
This is the LORD who no man has seen His face and lived.
The LORD who was seen face to face was the Angel of the LORD but not the one true God whom no mortal man can see less he die.

The image of God includes the Angel who man has seen, and the God who does not allow mortals to see His face.

These are the “us” in whom man was made in the image and likeness.

So, both Moses and Paul are correct when they say what was formed from the ground called man, is the image of God. And still the image of God when the man became a living man.

Again, I suggest we listen to Moses and Paul and stop rejecting them.
They say the man became a living soul. He was not given a soul he became one.
When you look at a living person, you are looking at a living soul who is made in the image and likeness of God.
God said He forbid killing a living soul because they are made in His image. To strike and kill a person is to deface the image of God.
Do you believe the Father has a physical body like a man then?

Back