Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

[_ Old Earth _] Jesus wept, Darwin hysterically cried

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Andy B. said:
Hi, Late'

[quote="Late_Cretaceous":a9189]I fail to understand the point of attacking Charles Darwin.

How interesting you should think that critiquing Darwin is attacking him.
If I write about Lord Nelson and suggest that standing on the deck of his ship, in the midst of battle, dressed so as to make himself a highly visible target for French snipers (which I gather is generally agreed by historians) am I "attacking" Nelson, or simply making an observation which might lead us towards a better understanding of the man as a whole?

Late_Cretaceous said:
It is irrelevant if his idea was original or not. It is irrelevant if he liked to do drugs and sleep with prostititues. It makes no difference what his religious convicitons were.

Irrelevant in relation to what?
I thought this discussion was about Darwin's psychology.
Since most of his biographers have dealt with that topic in some depth then either you think they are all missing the point - or maybe you are.

Late_Cretaceous said:
Contrary to what many creationists think,...

Ah ha! And how, precisely, do you know what "many creationists" think?
And why raise this subject anyway?

Could it be that you adhere to the Dawkins/Dennet hypothesis that the easiest way to stifle contrary opinions is to claim that everyone who doesn't share your view must be a creationist?

If you don't think Darwin should be critiqued why on earth have you come on a blatantly Christian website? Seems kinda masochistic to me.

Late_Cretaceous said:
...assinating the character of (one of) the creator of evolutionary theory is a wast of time.

Again, Dawin's biographers - especially Janet Browne, Professor of the History of Science (and definitely NOT a creationist) - are painting an increasingly dark picture of Darwin's personality.
Are they all wrong - or have YOU missed the point, I wonder.

Late_Cretaceous said:
It is not as though we evolutionists venerate the man.

Well, not you personally, perhaps, but many evolutionists do just that, and I'll find you any number of statements BY EVOLUTIONISTS to that effect, including Professor Stephen Jay Gould (Harvard) and Professor Edward (?) Conklin (Princeton). So I guess it is YOU who have missed the point.

Late_Cretaceous said:
He initiated a very powerful and useful thoery.

Double whammy!

No, DARWIN did NOT "initiate" the hypothesis that bears his name. And NO, it isn't a "very powerful and useful thoery". I think *maybe* you are confusing Darwinism with Evolutionism (Darwinism being a "special case" of evolutionistism).

Late_Cretaceous said:
I guess if you cannot discredit the theory, you try and discredit the man best known for its inception.

Well, you're certainly entitled to guess. But in this case *I* "guess" you got it about as wrong as you could in one short e-mail.

As with Conan, I invite you to actually visit my website and read the entire thing before presuming to know what points it makes.
If you aren't prepared to make that much of an effort, then I "guess" that speaks for itself, huh?

:wink:

Best wishes

Andy B.[/quote:a9189]CHA-CHING!

Andy, I love the way you work in here.

Andy B. said:
Hi, Late'

[quote="Late_Cretaceous":1099f]I fail to understand the point of attacking Charles Darwin.

How interesting you should think that critiquing Darwin is attacking him.
If I write about Lord Nelson and suggest that standing on the deck of his ship, in the midst of battle, dressed so as to make himself a highly visible target for French snipers (which I gather is generally agreed by historians) am I "attacking" Nelson, or simply making an observation which might lead us towards a better understanding of the man as a whole?
[/quote:1099f]

Furthermore, if you say that say something like "Was Darwin Psychotic?" it is question begging in big 40 foot high boldface lettering.
How about I dismiss your opinions by saying "Does Andy B. eat one or two babies for breakfast?"
Late_Cretaceous said:
It is irrelevant if his idea was original or not. It is irrelevant if he liked to do drugs and sleep with prostititues. It makes no difference what his religious convicitons were.

Irrelevant in relation to what?
I thought this discussion was about Darwin's psychology.
Since most of his biographers have dealt with that topic in some depth then either you think they are all missing the point - or maybe you are.
It's irrelevant to a discussion of the creation/evolution debate which is, whoops, what this forum is ment for. Fancy that.
Late_Cretaceous said:
Contrary to what many creationists think,...

Ah ha! And how, precisely, do you know what "many creationists" think?
And why raise this subject anyway?

Could it be that you adhere to the Dawkins/Dennet hypothesis that the easiest way to stifle contrary opinions is to claim that everyone who doesn't share your view must be a creationist?

If you don't think Darwin should be critiqued why on earth have you come on a blatantly Christian website? Seems kinda masochistic to me.
He's been here a while, he's probably got a good handle on general creationist stances.

Oh and here's another example of question begging: "Could it be that you adhere to the Dawkins/Dennet hypothesis that the easiest way to stifle contrary opinions is to claim that everyone who doesn't share your view must be a creationist?"
Late_Cretaceous said:
...assinating the character of (one of) the creator of evolutionary theory is a wast of time.

Again, Dawin's biographers - especially Janet Browne, Professor of the History of Science (and definitely NOT a creationist) - are painting an increasingly dark picture of Darwin's personality.
Are they all wrong - or have YOU missed the point, I wonder.

Late_Cretaceous said:
It is not as though we evolutionists venerate the man.

Well, not you personally, perhaps, but many evolutionists do just that, and I'll find you any number of statements BY EVOLUTIONISTS to that effect, including Professor Stephen Jay Gould (Harvard) and Professor Edward (?) Conklin (Princeton). So I guess it is YOU who have missed the point.

Late_Cretaceous said:
He initiated a very powerful and useful thoery.

Double whammy!

No, DARWIN did NOT "initiate" the hypothesis that bears his name. And NO, it isn't a "very powerful and useful thoery". I think *maybe* you are confusing Darwinism with Evolutionism (Darwinism being a "special case" of evolutionistism).
Evolution by natural selection is what most scientists, evolution proponents, etc mean when they say evolution. Generally we use other vocabulary for special cases, artificial selection for instance.

As for your handwavium powered dismissal of the Theory of Evolution(this being what we normally call Evolution by natural selection or as you say Darwinism), unless you want to argue that mainstream biology is all wrong and that we've obviously been missing the huge lack of genetic evidence for it, then the ToE is a powerful and useful theory. It gives us an understanding of the natural world that would be otherwise be impossibly nonsensical.

The Barbarian, on the idea that natural selection was Darwins "big idea":
One of them. Ernst Mayr, in "Toward a New Philosophy of biology" points out that Darwin's theory reas really five theories.

According to Mayr, Darwin didn't even know the meaning of "species", so I don't think there's much mileage in trying to suggest that Mayr was a champion of Darwin's scientific skills.

"IT was Darwin who introduced this new way of thinking into science. His basic insight was that the living world consists not of invariable essences (Platonic classes), but of highly variable populations...He realized that neither transmutationism nor transformationism nor any other theory based on essentialism would do. And he was right.
Ernst Mayr, What Evolution Is Basic Books 2001 pp. 84-85

Perhaps you should read something by Mayr. It's very clear that you have not.

Anyway, what Mayr made of Darwin's ideas is by no means necessarily what Darwin made of them.

Mayr was considered to be one of the people most knowledgable of Darwin's theory.

"Fact" - Darwin probably (IMO) "borrowed" the idea of natural selection from someone else

The nature of science is to build on the ideas of others. Darwin and Wallace are honored because they figured out how it works.

Through plagiarism - taking someone else's ideas and pretending that no one had ever thought of evolution before he (Darwin) came along?

Perhaps you don't understand what "plagarism" means. Read the book I cited to learn why Darwin and Wallace were given credit.

Darwin and Wallace did NOT figure out how it works, which is why Darwinism has been quietly abandoned. Gregor Mendel figured out "how it works". Darwin hadn't a clue - and Wallace knew even less.

Darwin's analysis of how it works:
1. More are born than can live
2. A organisms vary to some degree from their parents
3. Some variation makes an organism more likely to survive and reproduce
4. These variations tend to increase in the population
5. These accumulate and eventually form new species.

Which is what we observe.

They were honoured - Darwin far more than Wallace - because his writings provided justification for the excessive wealth of the small upper class and the grinding poverty of the huge under class; and because it justified the way we ruled and mercilessly exploited our empire.

You've been misled on that. Neither Darwin nor Wallace considered nature to be a source of human values. Darwin specifically denounced such thinking.

It might the rich and good could sleep easy knowing that nature/God had ordauined their high estate.

Since supposedly Christian ministers had preached that long before Darwin, one supposes you are right.

Fact" - The value of Darwin's original work was that it showed how natural selection could support indefinite radiation

Some of it.

I suggest not. "Natural selection", many scentists (e.g. Prof. Brian Goodwin) now acknowledge, is adequate to explain adaptation (microevolution) but NOT evolution (macroevolution).

I happen to be a fan of D'Arcy Thompson, and his thoughts on how physics and physical forces shape organisms as well as genes do. Goodwin has that understanding:

"The small-scale variation and the detailed adaptation of organisms to their habitats are very well explained by neo- Darwinism, but the global problem, the large-scale evolutionary problem, is unsolved. How do you get evolutionary novelty? Emergent order? The difference between squids and fishes and penguins. That's what the science of complexity is beginning to address  to demonstrate how emergent qualities can develop out of complexity, so that you get the emergence of order. The difficulty is making the theoretical work connect with the biological evidence. Most of the modeling currently done on computers is still very abstract, and there's not a lot of detailed evidence as to how that translates into what actually goes on in organisms."
http://www.edge.org/documents/ThirdCulture/k-Ch.4.html

However, the revelations of evo-devo and the homiotic genes that work the same in vertebrates and insects has shown that Darwinism is indeed the correct understanding. It's just that the organism is a complex interaction between itself and the environment.

Stephen Gould on Brian Goodwin:
"Brian's main commitment, contrary to the norm in twentieth-century England, is to represent one of these great traditions of Western thought, structuralism in biology, which is a nonselectionist, nonhistoricist view. It's basically the argument that laws of form and structure of matter constrain very much how organisms are built, and therefore the main features of organic design are neither necessarily specific adaptations built by selection (which is functionalism, the opposite view) nor are they historical contingencies (as I would argue in many cases) but they are representations of inherent natural patterns.

The major statement of that line of thought in English writing is D'Arcy Thompson's On Growth and Form. It's a grand tradition. I don't accept it to the extent that Brian does, because of my own commitment to historical contingency. But I'm very interested in structuralism. It's a way of thinking about form which works in many cases. It's another way of critiquing the pure functionalism of the adaptationist program."

We've already seen new species evolve. Reality trumps anyone's academic musings.

Funnily enough they'd reached much the same conclusion in the 1920s - then Sewell Wright, et al came up with the "modern synthesis" and saved evolution, but not Darwinism.

Properly, is called NeoDarwinism or the modern synthesis. Natural selection remains.

"Fact" - In The Origin of Species Darwin gives copious *anecdotal* evidence that without outside interference (e.g. human breeders) the effect of natural selection is to conserve the status quo rather than promoting variation

Barbarian observes:
Some of it. Other parts of the evidence show how selection can change species.

That's precisely what I mean - there's no evidence for any significant change.

You don't seem to mean that at all. Do you understand how Darwinian theory predicts stasis in some cases, and rapid change in others?

"Fact" - Science is about facts, not emotions
"Fact" - Fat chance! Evolution is an area of academia renowned for the "passion" (to put it nicely) of the protagonists in the various bouts of infighting. Check out The Darwin Wars, by Alan Brown, for example

Barbarian observes:
Science is a passionate undertaking. Nevertheless, evidence always takes the prize, even if it takes a while.

Evidence. Without it, no theory lasts for long.

"Fact" - A "fact" is the prevailing interpretation of the "evidence". "Evidence" is "out there", "interpretations" are in the heads of the perceivers of the evidence and tend to be somewhat transitory. A single, broken tooth was "evidence" - the idea that this demonstrated the existence of a creature ancestral to modern humans who had crossed from Asia into North America - "Nebraska Man" - was an interpretation.

Barbarian observes:
It was for the newspaper that published the report. However, when a paleontologist familiar with mammals got a look at it, he quickly determined that it was from a javalina. Facts.

Or "pecary", as I think many people will know it.

Here you are, I'm afraid, sadly astray.

Nope. But let's take a look.

It was Henry Fairfield Osborne, head of the American Museum of Natural History, who invented Nebraska Man, and he quite specifically gave the description I referred to as late as June 1925, YEARS after the first tooth was found. The only thing you can blame on the newspapers is the illustration of Nebraska Man that was not, as far as I know, sanctioned by Osborn or any of his staff.

You've confused Osborne with the scientist who debunked the newspaper account, as well as Osborne's opinion (Osborne was not a mammal expert, and was fooled by the fact that the tooth was worn to closely resemble a human tooth)

Once a paleontologist familiar with mammals saw it, he quickly resolved the controlversy. As I said, the evidence is what counts, as it did this time.

Darwin collected "evidence" like crazy - though ironically he had little or no idea what it "meant".

Barbarian observes:
In fact, he showed very clearly what it meant. So clearly, he revolutionized biology.

Wrong again.

Nope. It wasn't just evolution. Darwin was the one who investigated and explained the origin of coral atolls and who clarified the classification of barnacles. His extensive work on barnacles (which he correctly classified as arthropods, not mollusks as formerly thought) is the foundation of modern studies of barnacles.

He also had an exhaustive understanding of all sorts of organisms. It was this encyclopedic knowledge of living things that made it possible for him to write his book.

By the way, we could avoid most of this banter if you cared to examine the contents of my websites. Details of the Nebraska Man business are on the Scopes Trial site; Darwin's lack of scientific expertise is catalogued on the Charles Darwin site. Since you clearly know next to nothing about the "evidence" regarding Darwin's life and work - as demonstrated in these answers and in your misguided *suggestion* that Darwin suffered from Chagas' Disease - you might find it interesting, or even useful.

You're learning a lot of new things, and some of it contradicts what you were taught. Don't get mad, get smart. Go and learn about it. I only spend time on creationist websites when I have a reasonable expectation of seeing something new. So far, everything you've told me is recycled from other websites.

The symptoms of Chaga's disease are often manifested as they were in Darwin. We know Darwin was exposed, and we know he appeared to have the disease.

Barbarian observes:
Common descent, modes of speciation. Things like that. Would you like to learn about some of it?

Common descent - that wouldn't be anything to do with Haeckel's discredited drawings, or the failed "science" of homology, would it?

Nope. That's been dead since Von Baer (a Darwinist) discredited Haeckel's theory of recapitulation.

As for "modes of speciation" I have no argument with speciation so I don't need convincing, ta.

So how far do you think variation in speciation goes? The "scientific creationsts think it goes to new genera and new familes. Is that about right?

And in any case, all you are doing is listing the "evidence". It says nothing about how evidence might be "interpreted".

I've heard the "there are no absolutes" stuff a lot. But I don't buy it. Sorry.

It is true when they say that a little knowledge is dangerous. Somebody reads a book and they think they know everything.

Historical revisionism seems to be quite popular in bookstores these days. Einstein, for example has had his share of writers attemting to tarnish his image as one of the greatest minds. It is interesting to read unconventional and controversial images of historical figures. However, one should be careful not to be too naive about everything one reads. Yes, some authors can put forth a compelling assembly of facts to sway to reader to a new point of view.

When it comes right down to it, what you are reading is only the author's opinion. While some of the insights may very well be correct, they may be overblown. In fact, the more sensational the portayal the more you should be suspicious. Remember, these authors and publishers are trying to sell books. Sensational sells. Who is going to buy a book that says the same old thing about a historical figure. Readers want something refreshing, entertaining and titilating. All too often historical accuracy may be sacrificed.

IN the end, nobody alive today has firsthand knowledge of the past so there will be a lot of conjecture.

It is no secret that Darwin was not the first to think of evolution in some form. Patrick Matthew had formulated the theory of evoltuion (under a different name) a few years prior to Origin of Species, but it appeard in the appendix of a book called "Naval Timber and Aboriculture". Certainly he had been influenced by his own grandfather. And of course, the theory he formulated was not as refined or as sophisticated as it is now. He had no insight into how mutations occur or by what mechanism traits are passed on - only that it occurs. True, that Mendel was a more rigorous scientist. But in those days all scientists were amateurs anyways. What Darwin most deserves the credit for is bringing evolution to the forefront and formalizing the thoery. Publishing revolutionary thoeries in the appendix of an obsure ship bulding manual is hardly the way for your name to become a household word.

Nobody can really know everything about Charles Darwin, and I would not be suprised if he had his darker side. But what is known is that he certainly knew what a species was (not that the definition is without debate even today), he was instrumental in giving the world the theory of evolution (original or not), and he had a brilliant mind. Nobody says he was 100% correct, nobody says he was a saint.

Another fact is that the modern theory of evolution is one of the most powerful and usefull thoeries efver devised. It gives us enormous insight into the nature of life. It even is being used to develop new technology/

Mr. Darwin was quite generous in sharing the credit for evolutionary theory with Wallace and Matthew.

In a letter to Charles Lyell "In last Saturday Gardeners' Chronicle, a Mr Patrick Matthews [sic] publishes long extract from his work on "Naval Timber & Arboriculture" published in 1831, in which he briefly but completely anticipates the theory of Nat. Selection.  I have ordered the Book, as some few passages are rather obscure but it is, certainly, I think, a complete but not developed anticipation!"

ALso, in a letter to "Gardener's Chronicle"

I freely acknowledge that Mr. Matthew has anticipated by many years the explanation which I have offered of the origin of species, under the name of natural selection. I think that no one will feel surprised that neither I, nor apparently any other naturalist, has heard of Mr. Matthew's views, considering how briefly they are given, and that they appeared in the Appendix to a work on Naval Timber and Arboriculture. I can do no more than offer my apologies to Mr. Matthew for my entire ignorance of his publication.

Conan

The Barbarian said:

Perhaps you should visit my website like I keep inviting you to. That way you would have found a reference to Mayr's book The Growth of Biological Thought: Diversity, evolution and inheritance.

For example.

You might also have noticed that Mayr shares the the "creationists can't see straight" delusion insofar as he argues that Darwin couldn't have borrowed from Blyth because Blyth was an anti-evolutionist!

Yeah, and like in 1835-7, when Blyth's articles were first published, and Darwin read them, he was already an established evolutionist?
I don't think so!

Mayr is also wrong in writing Blyth off as an "anti-evolutionist" because he clearly acknowledges that changes might become fixed in isolated populations. What Blyth recognised was that there was no evidence of significant transitional forms in nature, either living or dead which would justify the idea of "indefinite" radiation. As Darwin naturally admits in "The Origin".

[quote:a853a]Anyway, what Mayr made of Darwin's ideas is by no means necessarily what Darwin made of them.

Mayr was considered to be one of the people most knowledgable of Darwin's theory.[/quote:a853a]

I don't doubt people thought that - Mayr was a very powerful figure in academia and I don't imagine it was a very good idea to disagree with him.

More to the point, I'm NOT discussing whether Mayr was or wasn't an expert on Darwin's work. My points were

1. He said that Darwin didn't understand what species were (nor did anyone else, for that matter, till many decades later. In several of the affidavits submitted at the Scopes trial the "expert witnesses" stated that "species" had no practical meaning.)

2. Whatever Mayr *thought* Darwin was doing, that is MAYR'S INTERPRETATION. It does NOT prove that that was what Darwin was doing, or that he KNEW what he was doing, or that he was doing it deliberately (if at all). We can read all kinds of things into someone's writings once they're dead. But it don't make it true.

[quote:a853a]Through plagiarism - taking someone else's ideas and pretending that no one had ever thought of evolution before he (Darwin) came along?

Perhaps you don't understand what "plagarism" means. Read the book I cited to learn why Darwin and Wallace were given credit. [/quote:a853a]

According to the Oxford Dictionary of Current English it means: "pass off the thought's etc. of (another person) as one's own"

Goodness me - that's exactly what my website claims. Seems like my understanding of the word is perfectly OK.
What I'm wondering now is what YOU think it means.

[quote:a853a]Darwin and Wallace did NOT figure out how it works, which is why Darwinism has been quietly abandoned. Gregor Mendel figured out "how it works". Darwin hadn't a clue - and Wallace knew even less.

Which is what we observe.[/quote:a853a]

That really looks impressive.
If only Darwin could have figured all of that out without getting ALL OF IT from Blyth's articles.

What he actually produced was all sorts of reasons - many of them aqlso based on Blyth - why this wouldn't work. For example, the tendency to revert to the basic type.

Darwin produced NOTHING that would take a line of organisms beyond simple speciation - which is all your list gives us.

The CRUCIAL limitation of Darwinism is that it does NOT explain how the process behind speciation can continue INDEFINITELY. And without that you don't have an explanation for evolution/macroevolution.

[quote:a853a]They were honoured - Darwin far more than Wallace - because his writings provided justification for the excessive wealth of the small upper class and the grinding poverty of the huge under class; and because it justified the way we ruled and mercilessly exploited our empire.

You've been misled on that. Neither Darwin nor Wallace considered nature to be a source of human values. Darwin specifically denounced such thinking.[/quote:a853a]

Once again you miss the mpoint.

Please read this slowly and carefully:

I DIDN'T SAY THAT DARWIN AND WALLACE PROPOSED EVOLUTION FOR THE PURPOSE OF JUSTIFYING THE ACTIONS IN QUESTION.

What I said was that the social implications were the reason why the idea of evolution became so popular.

Now, you seem to have no intention of reading what it says on my website so as to get the full details of my case - which *to me* says that you aren't really interested in learning anything at all.
No - I DON'T expect you to agree with me, but if you were being honest I WOULD expect you to get the facts straight before getting into a discussion.
You also seem to be unable to understand what I write in my mails.
Now, to be blunt, I don't suffer fools gladly, so please don't answer this post unless you have something genuinely useful to say. Because it is my perception that you are on this list for no better purpose than to bolster your own ego by putting down people who don't agree with you.
And I don't do bar mitzvah's!

Best wishes

Andy B.
Charles Darwin - The Truth?
http://www3.mistral.co.uk/bradburyac

The Barbarian wrote:

Perhaps you should visit my website like I keep inviting you to. That way you would have found a reference to Mayr's book The Growth of Biological Thought: Diversity, evolution and inheritance.

I didn't say you were unaware of Mayr. I said you have not read him. You asserted that he didn't think much of Darwin as a scientist, and the first book of his I found on my shelf showed that he lauded Darwin as a scientist.

You might also have noticed that Mayr shares the the "creationists can't see straight" delusion insofar as he argues that Darwin couldn't have borrowed from Blyth because Blyth was an anti-evolutionist!

Yeah, and like in 1835-7, when Blyth's articles were first published, and Darwin read them, he was already an established evolutionist?
I don't think so!

You apparently got that one wrong, too. Read the section I posted from Mayr. He's explaining why only Darwin got it right about evolution.

Mayr is also wrong in writing Blyth off as an "anti-evolutionist" because he clearly acknowledges that changes might become fixed in isolated populations. What Blyth recognised was that there was no evidence of significant transitional forms in nature, either living or dead which would justify the idea of "indefinite" radiation. As Darwin naturally admits in "The Origin".

You still don't get it. Darwin was the first to figure out how it worked. He put to rest the notion of species as Platonic types.

Anyway, what Mayr made of Darwin's ideas is by no means necessarily what Darwin made of them.

Barbarian chuckles:
Mayr was considered to be one of the people most knowledgable of Darwin's theory.

I don't doubt people thought that - Mayr was a very powerful figure in academia and I don't imagine it was a very good idea to disagree with him.

Lots of people disagreed with him. Gould had disagreements with him. The point is, people who actually understand Darwin's theory think Mayr was right.

More to the point, I'm NOT discussing whether Mayr was or wasn't an expert on Darwin's work.

And yet you asserted that Mayr didn't think much of his work. Wrongly.

1. He said that Darwin didn't understand what species were (nor did anyone else, for that matter, till many decades later. In several of the affidavits submitted at the Scopes trial the "expert witnesses" stated that "species" had no practical meaning.)

It's still a fuzzy concept in many ways. One of Mayr's contributions was to come up with a pretty good working definition. However, it means nothing to Darwin's discovery. Indeed, Darwin's work showed that species were not immutable types, but transitional things.

2. Whatever Mayr *thought* Darwin was doing, that is MAYR'S INTERPRETATION. It does NOT prove that that was what Darwin was doing, or that he KNEW what he was doing, or that he was doing it deliberately (if at all). We can read all kinds of things into someone's writings once they're dead. But it don't make it true.

Mayr was perhaps the greatest recent Darwin scholar. He clearly understood what Darwin's theory was about.

Through plagiarism - taking someone else's ideas and pretending that no one had ever thought of evolution before he (Darwin) came along?

Barbarian observes:
Perhaps you don't understand what "plagarism" means. Read the book I cited to learn why Darwin and Wallace were given credit.

According to the Oxford Dictionary of Current English it means: "pass off the thought's etc. of (another person) as one's own"

Very good. Darwin didn't discover evolution. People from ancient times had realized some kind of evolution had to be true. Darwin showed how it happened.

Goodness me - that's exactly what my website claims. Seems like my understanding of the word is perfectly OK.

Ah, you thought Darwin was honored for discovering evolution. You know what "plagarism" means; you just didn't know what Darwin's theory was about.

Darwin and Wallace did NOT figure out how it works, which is why Darwinism has been quietly abandoned. Gregor Mendel figured out "how it works". Darwin hadn't a clue - and Wallace knew even less.

Barbarian observes:

Which is what we observe.

That really looks impressive.

Like most great discoveries, very simple, but profound.

Darwin produced NOTHING that would take a line of organisms beyond simple speciation - which is all your list gives us.

That was the important thing. There was no limit. An population evolving into a new species wouldn't stop there. If the circumstances were favorable, that new species would continue evolving, to produce new and even more different species. There is no wall, no barrier. This is why we see, as we go back in time and look at the fossil record, that at one time the distinction between bears, dogs, and cats was very small, and then even farther back, there was no distinction.

The CRUCIAL limitation of Darwinism is that it does NOT explain how the process behind speciation can continue INDEFINITELY.

Since natural selection works on all species, each one continues to evolve. There's no limit. If you doubt this, show me one.

And without that you don't have an explanation for evolution/macroevolution.

It's like saying a rock can drop for 100 feet, but it can't drop a thousand feet, because you've never seen it happen.

(argument that Darwin and Wallace were primarily honored for "social Darwinism")

Barbarian observes:
You've been misled on that. Neither Darwin nor Wallace considered nature to be a source of human values. Darwin specifically denounced such thinking.

I DIDN'T SAY THAT DARWIN AND WALLACE PROPOSED EVOLUTION FOR THE PURPOSE OF JUSTIFYING THE ACTIONS IN QUESTION.

Good. But you missed a larger point. Darwin and Wallace were honored for solving a difficult problem in biology. Scientists were largely indifferent to what fools might make of their theories.

What I said was that the social implications were the reason why the idea of evolution became so popular.

Nope. I can't think of a single scientist who thought so. Granted, a lot of uneducated people made up all sorts of foolish things about it, but the vast majority of them opposed it.

Now, you seem to have no intention of reading what it says on my website so as to get the full details of my case - which *to me* says that you aren't really interested in learning anything at all.

If you can't provide the argument succinctly, you likely don't understand it.

No - I DON'T expect you to agree with me, but if you were being honest I WOULD expect you to get the facts straight before getting into a discussion.

As you see, you were misled on a number of things. I'm quite willing to discuss whatever facts you'd like to bring up.

You also seem to be unable to understand what I write in my mails.

Now, to be blunt, I don't suffer fools gladly,

I'm considerably more patient, it seems. Tell me about it.

so please don't answer this post unless you have something genuinely useful to say. Because it is my perception that you are on this list for no better purpose than to bolster your own ego by putting down people who don't agree with you.

Funny how people like that are always unaware it applies to them...

And I don't do bar mitzvah's!

Or much research, it seems.

Lyric's Dad said:
[quote="Andy B.":509af]CHA-CHING!

Andy, I love the way you work in here.
[/quote:509af]

Can you say PWN3D?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00