Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Jury sentences Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev to death

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Why are some of you so concerned that a killer "comes to know the Lord"? You want him kept alive just so he can call on the name of the Lord?

I do not understand, he made a conscious decision to KILL people and you are concerned about his salvation? Those he killed - did he confirm the salvation of them? Were the victims all Christians? Were one or more victims NOT Christians, if so, where is your concern for them?

There is no reason for the death penalty to be difficult or expensive. Tie him to a pole, have 10 riflemen take aim, and get it over with.
His salvation concerns me no more than the salvation of his victims concerned him.

I didn't say that. It may be a far worse punishment. But that person is still alive to come to know the Lord.
When this article was first posted here my first response was, well good, he is getting what he deserves and I almost posted that. But then I kept thinking about how young he is and how he was raised and how confused adults can get, never mind a teenager.

Because our secular government says that one can drive at 16, serve the country at 18, be legally considered an adult by the government, does not mean that it is God's will.
Teenagers are NOT more mature now than they were even 50 yrs. ago. Is that their fault or the fault of their parents and society in general?

If we are sure that God determines the outcome of every secular court case that involves someone's life or many lives then we have to believe that God determined the outcome of Roe vs Wade and the many challenges to that law since.
I just don't believe that and anyone who does should not be praying against God's will for it to be changed.
I didn't say mercy shouldn't be given. just that since I was family those lost I cant ask for mercy to the court. I aslo believe this, if he is allowed to live he will inspire americans to kill in like manner. it is well known to the military that americans support jihadist that are housed in gitmo. letters to them are written to them from americans. in gangs, the leader of a gang will often run his gang from prison. it also been said by the founder of isis that our prison in baf was in the part the reason he started isis. so I think his death will prevent some form of jihad also happening

Why are some of you so concerned that a killer "comes to know the Lord"? You want him kept alive just so he can call on the name of the Lord?

I do not understand, he made a conscious decision to KILL people and you are concerned about his salvation? Those he killed - did he confirm the salvation of them? Were the victims all Christians? Were one or more victims NOT Christians, if so, where is your concern for them?

There is no reason for the death penalty to be difficult or expensive. Tie him to a pole, have 10 riflemen take aim, and get it over with.
His salvation concerns me no more than the salvation of his victims concerned him.
that is about where I am at. I cant find it my heart to say he shouldn't see death.

Usually faith has been quite sensible for me. This is all fine and dandy to talk about how others are so spiritually lacking for not doing what you recommend,

I think the point was not what Ilove recommends, but what the Bible may recommend.

And on your point about staring down a gun barrel, that might make me want to take a baseball bat to the guy but, that doesn't make it right, just as any unfair sentence wouldn't be right.

Now whether Ilove is wrong or right about the age limit, I'm not certain but some good points were brought up to back it and their argument makes perfect sense to me.

When he snuffed out the lives of people who may have met the Lord some day, he forfeited his right to live. PERIOD.

The lack of concern for the victims in this thread is deeply disturbing.

I didn't say mercy shouldn't be given. just that since I was family those lost I cant ask for mercy to the court. I aslo believe this, if he is allowed to live he will inspire americans to kill in like manner. it is well known to the military that americans support jihadist that are housed in gitmo. letters to them are written to them from americans. in gangs, the leader of a gang will often run his gang from prison. it also been said by the founder of isis that our prison in baf was in the part the reason he started isis. so I think his death will prevent some form of jihad also happening
You may be right.
When he snuffed out the lives of people who may have met the Lord some day, he forfeited his right to live. PERIOD.
Pizza, this thread has been about the death penalty for those that could or could not be considered adults.
I don't believe anyone's statement shows a lack of compassion for the victims. I do not believe it's an either/or.
I understand your anger at what these brothers did and all the rest who do things horrible things, I feel it, too.

a 19 year old is an adult. if we set the presedent for that the I could claim that as at age 21 I did crimes and an older man convinced me to do it. stealing from others and the us government is a crime under the state laws and the ucmj.

An eye for an eye then?

I didn't notice that.

An eye for an eye then?

I didn't notice that.

the debate over a 19 year was unable to make a decision to kill as he was coerced by his older brother kinda does say that. a 19 year old is an adult. he can raise a child. he can marry. he can also serve as I did at that age in the army. johnny the Taliban was near that age when he took an American life in Afghanistan. 21. granted when a man is at that age he is impressionable but well the devil influence me to sin doesn't grant you and exemption from the necessity of the cross at the judgement

WOW, good one, Jason.
I was 20 to 25 when I was with an older man in a friendship/business relationship when I wrote bad checks to the army, engaged in other questionable activities and almost got into buying a prostitute a time or two. so I speak from experience. I had to repent, not the man who influenced me to do that, he will answer to god and the law for his crimes.

how hard is to say that with the man that is a mass murderer?

granted when a man is at that age he is impressionable but well the devil influence me to sin doesn't grant you and exemption from the necessity of the cross at the judgement.

I never claimed "the Devil made me do" it was or is an excuse for anything anyone does.

Again, an eye for an eye, right?

granted when a man is at that age he is impressionable but well the devil influence me to sin doesn't grant you and exemption from the necessity of the cross at the judgement.

I never claimed "the Devil made me do" it was or is an excuse for anything anyone does.

Again, an eye for an eye, right?
do you really think god literally told isreal if two man fights and one breaks the guys leg , he would have his leg broken. in context that is in the Hebrew saying what is judged for the eye loss is what the criminal shall pay but with death its always death if premeditated.

the deaths of 18 was premeditated. life in prison for the murdering terrorist can encourage some to attack for the sake of a meal overseas. in fact it has already. it happens in Afghanistan when we ran that facility. I don't have the answer for that. that is why I said about isis and also running terrorist cells from facilities.

To answer your question have I ever been in a crisis that involved the things you have describe above, the answer is yes! Far worst! But God...
Really, you were in a situation "far worse" than facing death at the hands of a murderer? Please, tell us about it.

Last edited:
Whenever a Christian brings in mans opinion, human wisdom, and the worlds view point they have sinned. This sin is called the lust of the flesh. The flesh is not the physical flesh, but your mindset. This is why it is very important for Christians to renew their minds daily. Christians must pick up their own cross daily and become a living sacrifice by denying their flesh (mindset) daily. This is why denying yourself hurts because you will not allow yourself to say, believe, or agree with mans opinion, human wisdom, and the worlds view point. In other words you only agree, say, and believe what the written word (truth) of God has said. The living word (Lord Jesus Christ) will fill in the blanks. And when the written Word and the living Word connect...oh my, my, my! When a Christian is being led by the flesh they are 100% being deceived by Satan and his forces. The bible says this is witchcraft because the flesh is in rebellion with God. Our kingdom is not of this world. No matter what man says and how things may change, we only say and agree with the word of God.

Beloved, God has called us to go the second mile. The first mile is where everybody is. The second mile is going to require a press, stamina, and what the Lord has said. The first mile is a eye for a eye, tooth for a tooth...the second mile is love your enemies. The first mile - The only way to God is through Jesus Christ (John 14:6)...The second mile...the only way to Jesus Christ is by the Means of the Cross (Luke 14:27). The only way to the Cross is a denial of self (Luke 9:23). Are you in the second mile?

But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it. Matthew 7:14 NIV

If we didn't fight back, we all will be speaking German now or Arabic.
God is the same today, yesterday, and 4 ever.
In the OT, we have the soldier prayer, Psa.144:1
David was a great example.

Gen.9:6
Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed, for in the image of God made He man.

Deut.19:11-13
But if any man hate his neighbor, and lie in wait for him, (premeditated murder) and rise up against him, and smite him mortally that he die, and fleeth into one of these cities,
Then the elders of his city shall send and fetch him thence, and deliver him into their hand of the avenger of blood, that he may die.
Thine eye shall not pity him, but thou shalt put away the guilt of innocent blood from Israel, THAT IT MAY GO WELL WITH THEE.

1) An eye for an eye then?

2) I didn't notice that.

1) Yes. But keep in mind that "an eye for an eye" was, in the OT, an application meant to keep things under control. It would appear (to some scholars and, from what I gather, myself) that "an eye for an eye" was a plea/command to make punishment be no more severe than the crime committed. You would not, say execute a man for the act of theft, but you would execute him for murder.

2) I did. Now, perhaps I am misunderstanding the mindset or intentions of those who beat the drum of saving the killer's life. But again, in my perception, I see a much greater concern for the murderer than the murdered. I know that I am not alone in this.

Perhaps I have more to say, but dianegcook, above, said it for me and better than I could.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back