Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Liberals and Conservatives

The point of the thread is that it is wrong to deny the authority of the Lord, while at the same time, it is wrong to place the Bible above the Lord.

I absolutely agree on both points. But the Bible does have a special place in a Christian's life. It tells us how a Christian is supposed to live, what is right and wrong, and how to tell good teaching from bad.

We know that the Lord will not say something now that contradicts something he said to us in the Bible.

Precisely why every Christian needs to know the Bible well.

The TOG​

I absolutely agree on both points. But the Bible does have a special place in a Christian's life. It tells us how a Christian is supposed to live, what is right and wrong, and how to tell good teaching from bad.

Precisely why every Christian needs to know the Bible well.

The TOG​
The Bible is an accurate account of what it documents. The histories are trustworthy. The Bible accurately quotes God and Jesus. The epistles are genuine.

But understand that it is God, and not the Bible, who is boss. I do something because God told me to, not because the Bible told me to. If you say, "The Bible says you have to do this," or, "The Bible says you have to do that," I will tell you, "The Bible is not my God. God is my God."

My mind tells me if God didn't want us to know His Word we wouldn't have it.. I do not see/read any member here who puts a Bible above God.

My definition of God's Word is those instances in the Bible where God and Jesus are quoted. I believe the Bible to be an accurate account of the events it documents. The epistles are genuine. But I will not worship this book. I will worship God, and God alone. I wish you and I could stop fighting long enough for me to find out what part of northern California you come from.

"Jesus replied, "You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures..." Matt 22:29

Core, I love your choice of scripture for your signature. One of my major pet peaves is the UNITY of the Body of Christ (His church here on earth of believers regardless of label.) This is an excellent support of that. Thank you.

About videos and links-sorry, but on these forums I look for what the poster believes in their own words; not somebody elses. I want to connect with a person; not a link to someone elses thoughts unless it is God's Word. I want to respect someone for what they personally think for themselves. Hence, I don't go to links to see some one elses thoughts online. I want to see that they really believe and have processed and truly embrace what they are talking about and the evidence of that is that they put it in their own words.

So many people are lazy today (I, myself, have been this way even recently with links to EM wave hazzards from microwaves, cell ph, wifi, baby monitors, and such) and let others do their thinking for them (not necessarily saying at all that this is your case) so they carry around a bag full of links to other peoples thoughts of which they think they agree to throw out as their position. But when you press them to actually think through this barage which they claim as theirs, if they will, you find them abandoning, modifying, deleting, adjusting, much of what they stood for.

In my case I immediately sent emails to all my loved ones givng them links to the most credible sources I could find including Sweden's public health dept who have banned wifi from schools nation wide. Eventually, I got around to searching for links to give credibility to the other side of the debate and now I REALLY wish I hadn't sent those alarming emails out with just a one-sided presentation. Better on the safe side, right? Well, was it worth diminishing my credibility? Maybe next time the threat will be undoubtedly serious. (Please, please start another thread on EM wave hazzards (Scientific forum?) if you must discuss this. I only shared this to prove a point about using links as one's position.)

Last edited:
Someone is missing the point here.
We have the Holy Spirit today, but the Scripture backs up the Holy Spirit.
This is how we know the truth.
One without the other often leads to heresy.
God gave us both.
The Bereans didn't just accept what Paul said.
They studied Scripture to see if it was true.

Today we have people claiming to speak to God and He is giving them instructions that are contrary to His Word.
Anyone of us can claim that the Holy Spirit speaks to us.
It must be backed up with Scripture.

Yes, we must have a personal relationship with God first and foremost.
But Scripture teaches us the truth of that relationship.

Someone is missing the point here.
We have the Holy Spirit today, but the Scripture backs up the Holy Spirit.
This is how we know the truth.
One without the other often leads to heresy.
God gave us both.
The Bereans didn't just accept what Paul said.
They studied Scripture to see if it was true.

Today we have people claiming to speak to God and He is giving them instructions that are contrary to His Word.
Anyone of us can claim that the Holy Spirit speaks to us.
It must be backed up with Scripture.

Yes, we must have a personal relationship with God first and foremost.
But Scripture teaches us the truth of that relationship.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!! Brother Allen.The only side-note I would add to that is that I believe that the Holy Spirit backs up Scriptue rather than the other way around. Although, the Holy Spirit may not have been "poured out" till Antioch, He has been inspiring all Scripture before it was written as explained in Ac 1:16, "which the Holy Spirit spoke long ago through the mouth of David" and in 2 Pt 1:21 and Rev 1:1.

Last edited:
Liberals make the mistake of recognizing no authority.

Conservatives make the mistake of substituting the Bible for the Lord as the source of authority. It is true that God and Jesus are frequently quoted in the Bible, and their words must be obeyed, but it is God and his Son, Jesus, who possess authority, not the Bible.
As is the Bible, context is everything in all things and you just jumped off the edge of the world with this one. First of all, there is a definition for being Conservative and another for being Liberal. If one does not use the standard, a perfectly reasonable practice, they must define their working understanding. According to your, implied, understanding, I, very conservative, politically and scripturally, an a Liberal. That is a a 16 inch shell across the nose on my aircraft and I see it as intentional. That means, like the Lost Man, you are looking for a Fool's Contest, that is not Godly, my man.

I am one Christian that will tell you, any time, that until Jesus returns, we are to test all revelations of the Spirit against the Recorded Word of God, making it the Final Court of Arbitration for the believer.

Your case, not well stated, seems to indicate that you believe the Word of God is found in the Bible as opposed to the truth that the Holy Bible is the Living Word of God, am I right or wrong?

I'm going no further with this until we are on sure footing and if you cop an attitude, I'll walk away and leave you standing... alone. Please, let's converse and not play the twin fool's game.

The Bible is the word of God. It is never wrong (although people certainly do use their imaginations to re-interpret what it says). It is one of the most important ways we have to know about God.

But it isn't the only way to know (as the Bible itself says) and it isn't God. We should remember that, lest we make an idol of it.

Please explain your last sentence? I do not understand!

And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:2 NASB

However, when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come. John 16:13 AKJV

There is revelation that is not in the bible. Pay close attention to this because it does supersedes everything. "Spirit Of Wisdom And Revelation In The Knowledge Of Him ."

Last edited:
However, when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come. John 16:13 AKJV

There is revelation that is not in the bible. Pay close attention to this because it does supersedes everything. "Spirit Of Wisdom And Revelation In The Knowledge Of Him ."
This verse does not say that there are new revelations that are not in the Bible.
Maybe we need to discuss these new revelations and see how they stack up against the Bible.

There's a difference between being from the Bible and being backed up by the Bible. If I say to you "God has revealed to me that <fill in the blank>", then it may very well be a real revelation from God, and not something I'm making up or from some other source, but the only way to be sure is to compare it to the Bible. If what I say God revealed to me contradicts what Scripture says, then I'm wrong. If the Bible confirms what I said, then you can accept it.

The TOG​
Amen TOG!

Back