Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Living without sin?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Don't you agree that if Jesus is our Lord, we will cease from serving satan?

That is what I have saying and giving scripture that teaches what “repent” means in context with the Gospel.

Once Jesus becomes our Lord, He is our Master the one we obey. Now as Christians, followers of the Lord Jesus Christ, we must obey righteousness and truth rather than the righteous desires that spring forth from our flesh.

At the end of the proverbial day, this will determine where we spend eternity.

But in accordance with your hardness and your impenitent heart you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, who “will render to each one according to his deeds”: eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath, Romans 2:5-8

God, who “will render to each one according to his deeds”:

• eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality;
  • but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousnessindignation and wrath,

JLB

Last edited:
Why didn't you also include the "and do works befitting repentance"?
The way it is written, repentance is just the first thing Paul instructed others to do.
Turning to God and doing works befitting repentance follow.
Sinners have not repented of either sin or turned from satan.

I quoted the whole scripture, which includes the phrase,
”works befitting repentance“.

”Works befitting repentance” comes after a person is delivered from the kingdom of darkness, with Satan as lord, in which they now are citizens of God’s kingdom, and members of the household of faith, with Jesus Christ as Lord.

Our discussing is about repent verses repentance from sin.

Repentance from sin comes after a person is delivered from the bondage of Satan, in which the new Christian is joined to Christ and is one spirit with Him, and has the power to walk in dominion over the enticing influence of sin that dwells in their mortal body.

But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him.
1 Corinthians 6:17

JLB

If you can no longer say you have no sin, you failed to remain in the light.
If it were not possible to remain perfect, then Jesus failed in conquering sin.
I am sort of curious how you can come up with presuppositions like that considering the following: Romans 7:17-20 and 1 John 1:8.
Your flesh and your spirit are not united, as in the one part slated for death isn't going to be dragging the other to hell on it's way out.

That is what I have saying and giving scripture that teaches what “repent” means in context with the Gospel.
Once Jesus becomes our Lord, He is our Master the one we obey. Now as Christians, followers of the Lord Jesus Christ, we must obey righteousness and truth rather than the righteous desires that spring forth from our flesh
At the end of the proverbial day, this will determine where we spend eternity.
But in accordance with your hardness and your impenitent heart you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, who “will render to each one according to his deeds”: eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath, Romans 2:5-8
God, who “will render to each one according to his deeds”:
  • eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality;
  • but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousnessindignation and wrath,
JLB
Are you not glad God made it possible to live without sin?

I am sort of curious how you can come up with presuppositions like that considering the following: Romans 7:17-20 and 1 John 1:8.
Your flesh and your spirit are not united, as in the one part slated for death isn't going to be dragging the other to hell on it's way out.
Paul's Rom. 7 recollections of his time when he was in the flesh instead of walking in the Spirit are his laments from a pre-conversion life.
It is from his past.
Rom 7:5 mentions..."For when we WERE in the flesh...", which shows a former time.
Rom 7:23 is answered in Rom 8:2.
Rom 7:24 was answered in Rom 6:6., further showing parts of Rom. 7 are from the pre-conversion past.

Re: 1 John 1:8...
Verse 8, (and 6 and 10), apply to those walking in darkness.
Verses 5, 7, and 9, apply to those who walk in the light, which is God.
John's letter to the church spoke of two very different kinds of men and their very different kinds of walk.
He uses an alternating method in his writing, juxtaposing one against the other.
Paul uses the same method in a few places, like Rom 8.

Last edited:
I'm going to add that you shouldn't confuse the "flesh"ly mind with your skin and bones.
The old man, "flesh", is killed before it can be reborn of God's seed.
It walks in the Spirit after rebirth.

Are you not glad God made it possible to live without sin?

I’m glad He wants to be near to us, to love us and for us to know Him; for this He made away for us to have our sins removed, and for us to have the ability, by His Spirit to walk in that freedom... and if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.

JLB

I’m glad He wants to be near to us, to love us and for us to know Him; for this He made away for us to have our sins removed, and for us to have the ability, by His Spirit to walk in that freedom... and if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
JLB
Yes, the Advocate is still available to those who walk in darkness instead of light-God.
I thank Jesus for His advocacy 12 years ago.

Yes, the Advocate is still available to those who walk in darkness instead of light-God.
I thank Jesus for His advocacy 12 years ago.

The Advocate is for children of God. The children of darkness don’t have Him as Lord, or Savior or Advocate.

This is elementary level understanding.

JLB

I think there's a lot of confusion on this subject and I'm not 100% either ay yet, but boy there sure seems to be a lot of scriptures which could support this idea. Like, all things have become new...the old man is dead...We are in Christ and Christ in us, and even more but it's late.

I think the crux of it may be...that when we become born again and are saved, then we are not under the Law any more, which is to say, we don't look to the law to establish our righteousness any more, now we look to our Lord and savior, Jesus Christ. We follow Him, not the law.

Now this doesn't mean that we can sin, god forbid, we still need to obey. But if we're following the Lord and being led by the Spirit, then we will not sin. When we fall at times and do sin, then we repent and ask His forgiveness and contiue on in our walk.

So now...I am not a sinner and saved by grace...I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus...I am a new man and the old man is dead.

I think. Understand?
The trouble is that the old man doesn't want to admit that he is dead and does a lot of roaring and complaining at times and tries to get up off the altar.

You seem to be unaware of Heb 10:14..."For by one offering He hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified."
And Heb 10:10 says that already happened..."By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all."
We have been perfected.

Don't you mean..."If we repent, really this time, and turn to God..."?
False repentances after false repentances are just lies to God.

David lived under a covenant that didn't have rebirth.
He could never have lived without catering to the "flesh".
Our "flesh", however, has been destroyed at our water baptism into Christ and into His death, burial, and resurrection. (Rom 6:3-6)
And verse 7?..."For he that is dead has been freed from sin."

Not if you still commit/serve sin, as we can only serve one master.

One sin a year, every year, IS a life-style of sin.
Jesus came and died so we don't have to commit sin anymore.
He made it possible to be "diligent" and "focused".
Don't let His sufferings for you be wasted.
I like the post where A.W. Pink was told by a person who said he had total victory over sin because he was diligent and focused on Christ.

A.W. Pink said, "Let me meet your wife and see what she says."

Sorry that you can not grasp the content in 1 Corinthians 15:52-54 or Galatians 5:16-21 as I believe we all fall into one of those categories at time, even though we do not want to. Are you more perfect than the Prophets and Disciples who did sin at times, but we certainly forgiven when they repented.
God often gives us an honest view of ourselves with all our faults and shortcomings, so that we do not trust in ourselves and our own ability to become holy, but that we turn to Christ and put our full trust in Him.

We do trip and stumble because of our own weaknesses, but the Holy Spirit does not allow these weaknesses in holiness to go to our hearts. It is with a good heart toward God that when we trip and fall because of temptation, that we get up again and continue living by the faith of the Son of God who loves us and gave Himself for us.

I would recommend downloading and reading "A Lifting Up Of The Downcast" by William Bridge, a well respected Puritan author. It deals with absolutely every reason why Christians become discouraged, and gives a Scripture answer to why Christians should never be discouraged no matter the reason.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to hear from your wife about whether you have total mastery over sin.
I'm not married.
My judge will be the Word, on the last day.
It is written..."Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world." (1 John 4:17)
All praise be to the graceful God of my strength.

I'm not married.
My judge will be the Word, on the last day.
It is written..."Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world." (1 John 4:17)
All praise be to the graceful God of my strength.
Yep. In line with what Paul said about himself: "I care very little if I am judged by you or by any human court; indeed, I do not even judge myself. My conscience is clear, but that does not vindicate me. It is the Lord who judges me" (1 Corinthians 4:3-4).

If the "children of darkness" want the Advocate, He is available to them, as He was to me.

Yes, they must repent, turn to God in submission to Jesus as Lord, like everyone else, then they too will have Jesus as their Advocate, Savior, and Lord.

Paul's Rom. 7 recollections of his time when he was in the flesh instead of walking in the Spirit are his laments from a pre-conversion life.
It is from his past.
That is why verse 17 is used for the reference, because it says "now", as in not a past life.
I'm going to add that you shouldn't confuse the "flesh"ly mind with your skin and bones.
The understanding of the flesh was proper, and I would be lying if I said I have no idea why you are making this leap on my behalf. I also now understand you are in the role of someone thinking the old man is somehow dead while you yet still draw breath. That says all I need to know. Thank you for the conversation.

God often gives us an honest view of ourselves with all our faults and shortcomings, so that we do not trust in ourselves and our own ability to become holy, but that we turn to Christ and put our full trust in Him.

We do trip and stumble because of our own weaknesses, but the Holy Spirit does not allow these weaknesses in holiness to go to our hearts. It is with a good heart toward God that when we trip and fall because of temptation, that we get up again and continue living by the faith of the Son of God who loves us and gave Himself for us.

I would recommend downloading and reading "A Lifting Up Of The Downcast" by William Bridge, a well respected Puritan author. It deals with absolutely every reason why Christians become discouraged, and gives a Scripture answer to why Christians should never be discouraged no matter the reason.
Thanks for the recommendation for this book, but I'm not much for reading books. The Holy Spirit will always convict us when we fall short and brings us to the place of repentance with a humbled heart.

Yes, they must repent, turn to God in submission to Jesus as Lord, like everyone else, then they too will have Jesus as their Advocate, Savior, and Lord.
Aren't they who submit to God non-sinners?
No man can serve two masters, so servants of sin don't serve God.

Back