Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Luke the physician and Divine Healing

lesjude

I did a count on the number of times Luke used the words heal, heals, healing, healed in his gospel and in Acts. He uses these words 27 times in Luke all but once referring to physical healing by divine means, only once for "medical" healing and that was a negative reference to their failure, and once for spiritual healing which can include physical healing in the meaning of the word as well.
In Acts he used these words 12 times: 11 for divine healing and once for spiritual healing, and again NEVER for "medical" healing.
He used the word whole meaning saved and healed from disease once in Luke for divine healing. He never used it for "medical" healing anywhere. The word whole meaning made well he used once in Acts and never to refer to "medical" healing.
The word saved meaning healed from sickness Luke uses once in his gospel referring to divine healing.
There is no Bible evidence to indicate Luke practiced or believed in anything but divine healing. In fact the evidence above indicates divine healing is what Luke believed and practiced, not "medical" healing.

Luke 8:43New King James Version (NKJV)

43 Now a woman, having a flow of blood for twelve years, who had spent all her livelihood on physicians and could not be healed by any,

This is the ONLY place Luke uses heal to refer to the physicians and this is a NEGATIVE reference. No where does he refer to their healing as positive and ALWAYS uses the word for divine healing.
Now as to the use of drugs for healing as presented by Luke. In Acts 8:9-10 it mentions a sorcerer. It is clear that by definition they used drugs to cure. He repented and stopped doing that. Luke did not defend the use of drugs but presented it as sin.
Here is what the Bible says about the same term Pharmakon/pharmakia which is translated as sorcery. The Greek means primarily use of medicine, drugs, spells, then poisoning, then sorcery according to Vine's Expository Dictionary of Bible Words The same word is used in Revelations 9:21, 18:23. In the Greek Septuagint in Ex. 7:11, 22; 8:7, 18 Isaiah 47: 9, 12. No where in the Bible is this word EVER used in a positive way that would suggest a believer should be using this magical poison. The Greek word *sorcery in Acts 8:9 is mageuo which means "used sorcery" according to Vine's. It is clear that sorcerers used drugs. *Sorceries in Acts 9:11 is magia in Greek which is plural for the magic art or sorcery which includes the use of drugs.
Acts 19:18-19

New King James Version (NKJV)

18 And many who had believed came confessing and telling their deeds. 19 Also, many of those who had practiced *magic brought their books together and burned them in the sight of all. And they counted up the value of them, and it totaled fifty thousand pieces of silver.

* Magia-The magic art which used drugs.
Again the use of drugs is presented by Luke in the context of sin that is repented of.
The point is that Luke may have used drugs and even "accidentally" killed some people. When he received the light on divine healing he repented and stopped using poison. ALL drugs are POISON and harm the body in any amount. Luke became a powerful witness to and practitioner of divine healing. In fact Luke uses the word heal to mean divine healing more than any other gospel.

So you really mean that doctor Luke wasn't a doctor? (the 'beloved physician'; Colossians 4.14)

So you really mean that doctor Luke wasn't a doctor? (the 'beloved physician'; Colossians 4.14)
The point is if he was really a medical doctor he embraced divine healing in place of drugging and cutting. Rahab stopped being a harlot I am sure after she received the truth. Scripture has nothing good to say about either worldly "profession".

I always agreed with this without the biblical references you show.

Thank you.

Medical healing was always related to false prophets, wizards, etc...

Psalm 91 deals with God doing all the healing all the time.

The point is if he was really a medical doctor he embraced divine healing in place of drugging and cutting. Rahab stopped being a harlot I am sure after she received the truth. Scripture has nothing good to say about either worldly "profession".

lesjude:

So you are saying that for Luke, described in Scripture as the 'beloved physician', to exercise that profession was an act of harlotry?

lesjude:

So you are saying that for Luke, described in Scripture as the 'beloved physician', to exercise that profession was an act of harlotry?
Hebrews 11:31New King James Version (NKJV)

31 By faith the harlot Rahab did not perish with those who did not believe, when she had received the spies with peace.
My point is just because Luke was called a physician does NOT mean he practiced after he received the light on divine healing any more then Rahab continued to practice her profession. All physicians at that time practiced sorcery and used drugs that often people. All the word physician means is healer which is more likely referring to a Holy Spirit gift of divine healing than practicing sorcery. The bible does not agree with this site's alternatives either but does a good job of explaining the issues at hand.

http://www.naturalnews.com/031584_Bible_drug_use.html
"Strong's exhaustive concordance of the Bible, which lists every word in the Bible, lists the word "sorcery" as word #5332 and tells us that it is translated from the original Greek word "pharmakon." It gives the definition as: a drug i.e. a spell-giving potion, a druggist or pharmacist, a poisoner.

A pharmacist today has the same Greek title that he had at the time the New Testament was written 2000 years ago, and he is still doing the same thing: dealing in poisonous drugs!

The Bible says that "sorcery", or the use of poisonous drugs, has deceived all nations. "For by thy sorceries (pharmacea) were all nations deceived. And in her was found the blood of prophets, and of saints, and of all that were slain upon the earth". (Rev. 18:23,24)

All nations practice sorcery through the use of drugs, but they are deceived into thinking that it's right. God condemns the merchandising and use of poisonous drugs along with murder and idolatry. Read it in your own Bible. Study it for yourself. If you don't own a concordance, borrow one from your library and see it with your own eyes.

Look in Webster's 2nd Collegiate Dictionary published in 1980 under the word "pharmaceutical." The definition reads: "pharmaceutical" the practice of witchcraft or the use of poison.

lesjude: I guess your answer to my question, Sir, was Yes.

Well, thank-you for answering, anyway.

I don't understand why the Holy Spirit would, in that case, have inspired the words, 'beloved physician', if as you suggest it means the same as 'beloved witch-doctor'.

I don't understand why the Holy Spirit would, in that case, have inspired the words, 'beloved physician', if as you suggest it means the same as 'beloved witch-doctor'.
If you would please read more carefully it would save us both unnecessary key strokes. Here is what I said: "All the word physician means is healer which is more likely referring to a Holy Spirit gift of divine healing than practicing sorcery."
Many referred to John G. Lake as Doctor Lake because of his powerful healing ministry.

If you would please read more carefully it would save us both unnecessary key strokes. Here is what I said: "All the word physician means is healer which is more likely referring to a Holy Spirit gift of divine healing than practicing sorcery."
Many referred to John G. Lake as Doctor Lake because of his powerful healing ministry.

...and so if he was a physician before he was converted Luke would have practised sorcery?

Seems to mean there is some misunderstanding.

The word 'physician' is used 5 times in the NT and is used by Jesus Himself - all 5 times it is in Strongs as:
G2395 - iatros - a physician
From the root word - G2390 - to heal, to cure, to make whole

It is used 1 time in the OT
H4795 - Rapha - as Jehovah Rapha - to heal, make healthful

I don't see this as being most likely in the Greek relating to divine physical healing. In the Hebrew in Jeremiah I believe it is clearly a spiritual healing not a physical one.

Last edited by a moderator:
...and so if he was a physician before he was converted Luke would have practised sorcery?
History and the Bible give no other explanation. Sorcery and the occult are the origins of medical "science". Tulane medical school teaches this in their course on the history of medicine. Look up the oath doctors take.

History and the Bible give no other explanation. Sorcery and the occult are the origins of medical "science". Tulane medical school teaches this in their course on the history of medicine. Look up the oath doctors take.

So if Luke 'the beloved physician' was indeed a medical man, he would indeed have practised sorcery, according to this.

Others would say it shows a rather strange spirituality, if one's children were seriously ill, not to take them to a doctor.

Sir, I don't think we are seeing things in the same way.

Seems to mean there is some misunderstanding.

The word 'physician' is used 5 times in the NT and is used by Jesus Himself - all 5 times it is in Strongs as:
G2395 - iatros - a physician
From the root word - G2390 - to heal, to cure, to make whole

It is used 1 time in the OT
H4795 - Rapha - as Jehovah Rapha - to heal, make healthful
No, there is no misunderstanding. The means of the healing is the differentiation. Jesus NEVER used anything but divine healing in the NT or the OT nor any other believer. The carnal physicians used and use drugs and cutting. The Bible gives only one directive to believers that are sick which is in James 5:14-15. The word there is sozo to save, heal from sickness. Which is included in the verb save-sozo meaning what the noun salvation provides.

No, there is no misunderstanding. The means of the healing is the differentiation. Jesus NEVER used anything but divine healing in the NT or the OT nor any other believer. The carnal physicians used and use drugs and cutting. The Bible gives only one directive to believers that are sick which is in James 5:14-15. The word there is sozo to save, heal from sickness. Which is included in the verb save-sozo meaning what the noun salvation provides.

...and a little medicinal wine for Timothy's stomach's sake, and for his often infirmities.

uk 10:29 But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?
Luk 10:30 And Jesus answering said, A certainmanwent down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and woundedhim,and departed, leavinghimhalf dead.
Luk 10:31And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
Luk 10:32And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and lookedon him,and passed by on the other side.
Luk 10:33But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassionon him,
Luk 10:34And went tohim,and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
Luk 10:35And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gavethemto the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.
Luk 10:36Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
Luk 10:37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

So if Luke 'the beloved physician' was indeed a medical man, he would indeed have practised sorcery, according to this.

Others would say it shows a rather strange spirituality, if one's children were seriously ill, not to take them to a doctor.

Sir, I don't think we are seeing things in the same way.
I have NEVER said we do not take them to a Physician. He is a nice Jewish one who even makes house calls and had a loving Jewish mother. In fact we had to spell His Jewish name for the first responders after about 600 volts arced in our youngest son's face and he refused transport. The symptoms were quite ugly/painful for a time but Jesus totally healed him.

I have NEVER said we do not take them to a Physician. He is a nice Jewish one who even makes house calls and had a loving Jewish mother. In fact we had to spell His Jewish name for the first responders after about 600 volts arced in our youngest son's face and he refused transport. The symptoms were quite ugly/painful for a time but Jesus totally healed him.

I see your theology is that not taking people to a doctor gives them a better spiritual knowledge of the Lord.

uk 10:29 But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour?
Luk 10:30 And Jesus answering said, A certainmanwent down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and woundedhim,and departed, leavinghimhalf dead.
Luk 10:31And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.
Luk 10:32And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and lookedon him,and passed by on the other side.
Luk 10:33But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassionon him,
Luk 10:34And went tohim,and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
Luk 10:35And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gavethemto the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.
Luk 10:36Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves?
Luk 10:37 And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.
Thank you Reba. I was wondering when someone would present this one. There are other better ones but....
First the Samaritans were unsaved pagan worshipers hated by the Jews which did not mean they did not have some of the milk of human kindness. However he never had the truth of divine healing so did what he knew to do. Neither wine nor oil is a drug. Of course the Jews themselves had lost the truth of divine healing because of sin. Jesus showed His love doing just what He said "those who believe" and those who have "freely received" should and would do. We have and do. How about you?

I see your theology is that not taking people to a doctor gives them a better spiritual knowledge of the Lord.
Not at all. They should and will go to the physician they live closest to which is what we do. Our son was and is free to go to any physician he wishes as is everyone else.

Just a reminder here: No personal negative comments. This is a Christian site, and our ToS 2.5 does state we each are to "Respect each others' opinions. Address issues, not persons or personalities. Give other members the respect you would want them to give yourself.'

:topictotopic

Back