Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Matt 23:1-3 question

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Why does Jesus command the people to obey the scribes and the Pharisees?

Matt 23:1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,

2 Saying The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat:

3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.
They taught the truth, however they were hypocrites, they used the truth to abuse the flock.

Major covenants!

God initiated each covenant and the mediator always remains on earth mediating the covenant except for Christ who made Peter His personal representative and vicar! (Matt 16:18-19) with the keys of jurisdictional authority over the kingdom or new covenant church!

Adam
(Marriage covenant)

Noah
(Family covenant)

Abraham
(Tribal covenant)

Moses:
(National covenant)

Jesus Christ:
(Universal covenant)

New and eternal covenant founded by Jesus Christ! Matt 16:18

Universal (Catholic)
World universal

Lk 2:10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. ( catholic universal) All men!

Lk 2:31 prepared before the face of all (catholic) people. All men!

Jn 1:29 lamb of God who takes way the sins of the world. All men!

Jn 3:16 for God so loved the world

1 Jn 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world. All men!

Lk 2: 10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. All men!

11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. (All people universal) All men!

1 Tim 2:5 one mediator

Jn 10:16 One new covenant church

Only Jesus Christ has authority to found the church on Peter and the apostles! Matt 16:18-19 Matt 18:18
Jn 20:21 eph 2:20

All others are heretical sects the tradition of men!

Christ is king and established a kingdom!

Obedience to the apostles who have the jurisdictional authority to govern the church and administer the kingdom is obedience to Christ!

Matthew 5:14
Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid.

Lk 22:29 And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me;
30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
31 And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: (plural Peter and his successors)
32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.

Jesus Christ is king!

We must submit and obey the king of kings!

And His authorized ministers that He Himself appointed!

Matt 16:18-19 & 28:28 eph 2:20 Jn 20:21-23

Lk 10:16
He who hears you hears me...

John 13:20
Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that receiveth whomsoever I send receiveth me; and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

Truth must be revealed by God thru Christ to His church (the apostles Jude 1:3) then must be proposed by the church, (Matt 28:19 gal 3:23) without error by the Holy Spirit! (Jn 16:13)

Christ and His church are one! (Acts 9:4 eph 5:31 Jn 15:1-5)

The evidence of true faith is humble subjection and obedience to Christ & His holy church!

The rule of faith for Christians is Jesus Christ Jn 14:6 and His church! Matt 18:17 acts 2:42 1 Tim 3:15

One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic

One: Jn 10:16

Holy: Eph 2:19-22

Catholic: Lk 1:10-11 Jn 1:29 Jn 3:16
(Universal)

Apostolic: Matt 16:18-19 Matt 18:18 Matt 28:19 Jn 20:21 eph 2:20

Only Christ has authority to found the one true church Matt 16:18-19 all others are heretical the tradition of men!

The new covenant Church is the eternal city of God! Household of faith!

The pillar and ground of TRUTH! 1 Tim 3:15

Founded by Christ alone! Matt 16:18 on Peter and the apostles! Eph 2:20

All these and more Tried to destroy the ONE, HOLY, CATHOLIC, and APOSTOLIC CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST and failed!

FAILED COMPLETELY!

Roman Empire:
Barbarians:
Heretics:
Protestant fundamentalists:
Atheists:
Communists:
Modernists:

All failed but eternal church of Christ remains! Lk 1:32-33

ONE:
HOLY:
CATHOLIC:
APOSTOLIC:

One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic

One: Jn 10:16

Holy: Eph 2:19-22

Catholic: Lk 1:10-11 Jn 1:29 Jn 3:16
(Universal)

Apostolic: Matt 16:18-19 Matt 18:18 Matt 28:19 Jn 20:21 eph 2:20

Only Christ has authority to found the one true church Matt 16:18-19 all others are heretical the tradition of men!
All those things don't necessarily describe the RCC today. The Catholic church of today is as far removed from the original Catholic Church as are all Protestant churches. I sincerely question whether Jesus would be able to say to any of our churches today, "Well done, good and faithful servant."

All those things don't necessarily describe the RCC today. The Catholic church of today is as far removed from the original Catholic Church as are all Protestant churches. I sincerely question whether Jesus would be able to say to any of our churches today, "Well done, good and faithful servant."
Gate shall not prevail Matt 16:18-19

Obey what the Pharisees teach from the law. When they sit in Moses seat(teaching the law) obey what they teach.

But do not do as they do for they do not follow the law they teach.
They are commanded to obey the authority of the successors of Moses no less than we are commanded to obey the authority of the apostles

Your initial post was all about Sola Scriptura.

Why would you post about something you are against?
I’m not against scripture, with the teach authority of Christ in his church.
I am opposed to the false doctrine of the so called reformers, our only authority is scripture excluding God, Christ, Holy Spirit and the church

I see no demands from Christ that His authority be obeyed. That is going beyond the scope of the quoted scriptures.
Spiritual Fathers have care for our souls!

Acts 20:28 Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.

Jn 21:17 feed my sheep:

Heb 13:7 Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation.

Heb 13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they care for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

1 Tim 1:2 Unto Timothy, my own son in the faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God our Father and Jesus Christ our Lord.

Gal 4:19 My little children, of whom I travail in birth again until Christ be formed in you

1 John 2
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not.

That makes Paul and John spiritual fathers, pastors of our souls!

Because anyone who claims to hold one of the five offices of ministry in Ephesians 4:11 must stay within the boundaries of the scriptures, not invent extra-Biblical stuff as the Catholic church has done, and claims they can do.
What invented doctrines?
Where is this claim
No new doctrine Jude 1:3
The Christian religion is revealed by God

And we know what that is by the Bible and the discernment of the Holy Spirit, not by some Catholic leader who says his word is the word of Christ that can not be challenged.
Christ taught his church in person

You can not prove that the Catholic hierarchy is the successor of the original Apostles. It saying it is is not proof. We know they are not by the fact that they deviate from what Jesus and the original Apostles taught as recorded in our Bibles, and the fact that the Spirit of discernment all believers have will reveal the falsehood of it's teachings and practices in conjunction with those written words.

That is how Luther discerned the falseness of the Catholic church. He saw in the Bible that righteousness comes from outside a person and is given as a free gift of God's grace through faith in that gift, not developed in a person by being righteous to obey various rituals and commands as the Catholic church taught. The tiring and futile task of which brought him to the end of himself and into the revelation of God's gift of grace in justification apart from his works.
He was wrong
A condemned excommunicated heretic

They are commanded to obey the authority of the successors of Moses no less than we are commanded to obey the authority of the apostles
The quote you are referring to is not regarding "successors of Moses".
Those are your words and a misinterpretation of the passage.
The reference would be about when the Pharisees are teaching Moses' words.
So when they are teaching... obey what the Pharisees say.

I’m not against scripture, with the teach authority of Christ in his church.
I am opposed to the false doctrine of the so called reformers, our only authority is scripture excluding God, Christ, Holy Spirit and the church
Who says that Sola Scriptura excludes God, Christ or the Holy Spirit?
That is news to me.

But no demand for obedience.
You stated there was a demand for obedience.
That is not in the text you referenced.
Why are you adding to the Bible things that are not in the Bible?
Christ said they must be obeyed Matt 23
And many other verses

OBEY!
Clear enough

Heb 13:17 Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they care for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you.

What invented doctrines?
Where is this claim
No new doctrine Jude 1:3
The Christian religion is revealed by God
What are you not getting? God revealed to Luther, through the scriptures, the truth of justification by faith. It was not his invented doctrine.

You are busy doing righteous deeds and rituals so God will declare you righteous (justify you). Meanwhile, Paul says you are declared righteous by receiving God's righteousness, a righteousness outside of yourself, by believing in it, apart from the doing of righteous things. The Catholic church has been deceiving literally countless numbers of people for centuries that you are righteous in God's sight by doing required righteous deeds and rituals. And that if you do not do them correctly and believe correctly about them you will not be righteous. That is a works gospel.

Last edited:
He was wrong
A condemned excommunicated heretic
Well, I didn't expect you to accept it, lol!

Honestly, if you're looking for converts to Catholicism you need to go to a Catholic forum and talk to other Catholics and any seekers that come into that forum. Please respect the vast gap and separation there is between Catholics and non-Catholics. It's there for a reason. We're on a completely different page than you. You're wasting your time here.

Last edited:
OBEY!
Clear enough
Yes, but not to be declared righteous.

You don't get righteousness by being obedient. You get righteousness by being given it as a free gift of God's grace when you are in brokenness and humility over the fact that you can't do what is needed to be seen as righteous by God.

Christ taught his church in person
And he teaches us today via the Holy Spirit. And not just our leaders as in the Catholic church. God ended the way of his people being at the sole mercy of various mortals in leadership to receive and recognize and disseminate truth. Now, all of God's people can recognize truth for themselves and don't need someone to decide for them if what they are hearing is truth or not. Catholics didn't get the memo.

I wouldn't point out just the Catholic church, but any leadership that has strayed away from the truth of the word of God as this happens in many churches.

Matthew 23:1-36 Jesus gives the Scribes and Pharisees seven woes and the reason for each one. Then in vs. 37-38 Jesus Laments over Jerusalem: O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not! Behold, your house is left unto you desolate.

There are over 5000 different religions in the world claiming they are the true religion, but yet there is only one true word that was given to us by Gods own mouth as in the beginning was the word of God, and the word was God, John 1:1.
Without the church and teaching authority of the apostles how do we know what is scripture?
66 books with missing chapters or 73?
Ever read the faith of susana in Dan 13?

Back