Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Matthew 5:31-32

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,038.00
Goal
$1,038.00
Here is a little background. When I was married, I had cheated on my wife and I am the one who suggested getting a divorce. Not because of me cheating on her, but because I could not handle her. However, in the end, she is the one who filed for divorce (I was going to file but due to circumstances, she ended up doing the paperwork.) Therefore, according to the scripture in Matthew 5 verses 31-32, can I get remarried? The marriage did...break? I guess is the word but I did not end the relationship because of adultery.

Another question I have is if I cannot remarry, is it a coincidence that after being in 4 relationships while the divorce was being processed and went bad, I do not see myself wanting another relationship or getting married again?

First off, Christians (even mature ones) can and do sin. If someone told you otherwise, either they lied to you or were seriously mistaken in their doctrine.

Second, our entire walk is not a "me and Jesus" kind of thing. It is and always has been a community endeavor. So a brother holding you accountable is NOT taking it out of God's hands. Our Lord said this:

Matthew 11:28-30
“Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”

The yoke bound 2 cattle, oxen or horses together to do a job. The Lord's yoke is easy because He does the heavy lifting. But we are in that yoke too. We do have to pull our share. As John Wesley put it:

"There is God's part and there is our part. God WILL NOT do our part and we cannot do God's part."

Having an accountability partner helps with our part.
Then what is our part according to addictions besides reading the word. Maybe I am mistaken by reading the word. I take it as continuing to study the bible. Not verses that has to do with addictions but the whole bible. At the moment, I am in the book of Matthews Ch 8.

Then what is our part according to addictions besides reading the word. Maybe I am mistaken by reading the word. I take it as continuing to study the bible. Not verses that has to do with addictions but the whole bible. At the moment, I am in the book of Matthews Ch 8.
There is a lot we can do. Of course reading the Word is important. So is listening prayer.
Repentance (teshuva, metanoia) is important. It is fundamental to proper biblical faith.

There is a lot we can do. Of course reading the Word is important. So is listening prayer.
Repentance (teshuva, metanoia) is important. It is fundamental to proper biblical faith.
What is listening prayer? Also, could you name some of the things that I can do as I wait for God or to do my part if God has already done his?

What is listening prayer?
It is prayer that is 2 way. Instead of just praise or thanksgiving and petitions going from us to HIM, it is listening for HIS response/reply to us.
Also, could you name some of the things that I can do as I wait for God or to do my part if God has already done his?
If, during reading the Word or listening in prayer, God convicts you of an inappropriate attitude or action you have, change it. Do things differently. Choose to think about things differently.

What is listening prayer? Also, could you name some of the things that I can do as I wait for God or to do my part if God has already done his?
Hi Sushilp
I'd like to say that God has a different relationship with each one of us.
What is good for one person may not be good for another person.

However, there are some ideas in Christianity that are good for all of us.
One is to understand what God expects from us...which is what the prior posts are about.
But we do have to be ready to accept what God wants.
I've found that some persons can accept this and understand this immediately,
and some persons take more time. It doesn't mean God love one person more than another,
or that He reveals Himself to some more than to others...it has more to do with our character, our
personality, our ideals, and the such.

Also, it's not like we go to God and ask Him for things,,,like kids do to Santa Clause.
Jesus gave us rules to live by, and when we live these rules life turns out better for us
and when we break those rules we end up paying for them one way or another.

For instance,,,the biblical teaching on divorce is that we're not supposed to get divorced.
If we can have a pleasant relationship with our spouse and we're not being beaten or cheated upon, we're supposed to stay together till death separates.

There's a reason for this. If we devote ourselves to one person we end up being happier and the other person can be happier too.

After a divorce problems can happen because we find ourselves alone and our humanity wishes to have companionship...after all God did say that it is not good for man to be alone.

We are to examine ourselves every now and then.
Are we showing a type of character that would please God?
Do we use persons, or do we truly value them?
Maybe we shouldn't be happy to be friends with just anyone...
maybe we should look for someone we really care for and respect and can appreciate.
Valuing another human being is very important.

Perhaps if we take this type of attitude our entire outlook might change and maybe we would
begin to attract a different type of person...or maybe WE could be a different type of person!

I would try to please God and try to understand what He wants from me.
I'd try to make life and this world a better place simply by being a better person...
by better I mean a more pleasant person. Just being pleasant to people makes their life
better and ours.

I don't know you and am not referring to YOU specifically, just speaking in general.
As you read through Matthew you'll come upon scripture that seems to be referring just to you.
Heed everything Jesus says and become a follower of His ...a disciple.

I find that even in hardship and difficult times, God gives us the strength if we look to Him for it.
The Holy Spirit is seeking to make His dwelling with you.
Welcome Him.

It's nice to have you here.
Our walk with God is a journey.

Looks like the old false 'once saved always saved' doctrine has snatched another into deception. The OSAS doctrine is from men, and is a false teaching.

Remission of sins by Faith on Jesus' Blood shed upon His cross is for PAST SINS, not future sins after having believed and been baptized.

Rom 3:24-25
24 Being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare his righteousness
for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
KJV

Per 1 John 1, we are still... to repent to Jesus of future sins we may commit. That is why Apostle Paul said for us to work out our salvation. It means to keep an eye against falling into sin, and to check ourselves. It is why in Luke 11 Jesus included for us to ask forgiveness of our sins when praying to The Father.

Looks like the old false 'once saved always saved' doctrine has snatched another into deception. The OSAS doctrine is from men, and is a false teaching.

Remission of sins by Faith on Jesus' Blood shed upon His cross is for PAST SINS, not future sins after having believed and been baptized.

24 Being justified freely by His grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare his righteousness
KJV

Per 1 John 1, we are still... to repent to Jesus of future sins we may commit. That is why Apostle Paul said for us to work out our salvation. It means to keep an eye against falling into sin, and to check ourselves. It is why in Luke 11 Jesus included for us to ask forgiveness of our sins when praying to The Father.
I apologize but can you simplify it more? I do not get what you are trying to say.

I apologize but can you simplify it more? I do not get what you are trying to say.
Basically, that 1 John 1 is for all Christians after having believed on Jesus and been baptized.

1 John 1:5-10
5 This then is the message which we have heard of Him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in Him is no darkness at all.
6 If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:
But if we walk in the light, as He is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin.
8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.
KJV

Actually, for us ALL sins were future when our Lord died.

Does that mean we can get away with murder and not have to repent? Of course not. We need to repent every time we are aware that we fall short of HIS glory. But we can go to HIM in faith because He already did the work of atoning for that sin.

Actually, for us ALL sins were future when our Lord died.
Not what Apostle Paul said...

24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness
KJV

Does that mean we can get away with murder and not have to repent? Of course not. We need to repent every time we are aware that we fall short of HIS glory. But we can go to HIM in faith because He already did the work of atoning for that sin.
What you stated in bold above is what I've been saying. Yet your very next statement attempts to reverse what you said. Either we still need to repent to Him of future sins, or we don't. His Word shows we do still need to repent of future slip ups, which is why I quoted the 1 John 1 Scripture from Apostle John. You can look at how Jesus showed His disciples (and us) HOW to pray also, in Luke 11, where He includes our asking forgiveness of our sins.

The idea that every sin is automatically forgiven that we might fall into after having believed and been baptized, is a latter days doctrine from men. It's popular because the deceived love the idea that all they need do is believe, and then go about living their lives how they want. And here's the gist...

If one believes on The Father through His Son Jesus Christ, and does nothing else afterwards, that does not mean that believer won't be saved. Apostle Paul showed that idea here:

1 Cor 5:3-5
3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,
4 In the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, when ye are gathered together, and my spirit, with the power of our Lord Jesus Christ,
5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh,
that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
KJV

The "day of the Lord Jesus" is about the day of Jesus' future return, and the beginning of His future "thousand years" reign of Revelation 20.

That believer among the Corinthian Church was having intercourse with his mother, and that is considered a grave sin per God's laws (still against the law of incest in many states in the U.S., and yes brethren, intercourse with stepmothers and stepfathers also is included against God's law). That one was to be cast out of that Corinthian Church. But his "spirit" may still be saved in the future during Christ's "thousand years" reign.

Likewise, in Christ's parable of the ten virgins in Matthew 25, the five foolish virgins Jesus closed the door upon at His coming. That doesn't necessarily mean those can't be saved during His future Millennial reign of Revelation 20. But it does mean those may be cast to the "outer darkness" where the wicked will be, outside the gates of the holy city (Matthew 8:11-12; Matthew 25:29-30; Revelation 22:14-15).

The way I see it then, per the Scriptures of His Word, is those who stay in their 'walk' with Him, listening to Him, repenting when they mess up, He will help and cleanse those first. But those who instead heed men instead of Him and His Word, those risk having the door closed upon them when He comes.

Personally i believe that marriage should be worked on and really made to work. I believe as anyone can be attracted and be with anyone, if the foundation of that marriage is based on spiritual devotion.

Back