Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Mental picture of God

Classik

What mental picture of God comes into your mind when the name 'God' is mentioned, or when you think about God?

Well, I have always carried this picture in my mind whenever GOD is mentioned or whenever I think about Him:

I see a Man, as huge as a mansion, seated upon a seat. He is so huge that the seat disappears under Him. He is dressed in a spotless white garment which covers the whole of His feeth, and he wears a crown of gold. Everything about Him is white save for His crown. He is so holy and pure.

Then, human beings and angels and other creatures gather all around Him. They are all as tiny as dust particles and seem to disappear under God's feet.

But I wonder why God's face is somewhat mean in my picture of Him. Perhaps it's the judgement day picture I've always carried about.

I wonder where I got this image from - but it has always been in me right from childhood.

So I wonder if any of us shares the same picture! What mental picture do you see whenever GOD is mentioned?

im beginning to do what the ancient jews did and modern jews do,.stop trying to understand the mystery of YHWH and do his will. for in judiasm and also biblical christianity one learns more about god by doing what he says rather then intellectuall accent.

however, i fail a lot on this and im seeing how much a sinner i am and in need of a savior

I don't even try, He appears as he wants to appear and is without form at the same time. He just is. I think the whole "made in his image" thing refers to our soul not our bodies.

Yeah! You are right. Not that that illustration is what God is.

And just like any other 'name', once it's mentioned, something flashes into your mind - and you usually associate that memory with that 'name'. (usually with something you have seen before...and even if with something abstract you still unconsciously form an unclear picture of it)

And I think it is impossible not to have a picture of something, a mental image, in your heart whenever a noun or a name is mentioned.:

And the lizard mounted the stage, took a microphone, adjusted his tie, kicked something into a corner and then addressed the dancing trees.

Metal pictures:
*A lizard approaching a stage (you see a moving lizard)
*The stage
*A microphone
*A tie (of course you must see a hand doing that)
*A leg
*Something (must have to do with something small)
*Corner (an area, somewhere)
A tree (You see trees moving their bodies)

:lol

A special case.

It usually comes in a flash that at times it seems to be lost in one's subconsciousness. But in most cases it's there.:)

Just like, if someone says: "Christ is come"! No picture?

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

We know God is Spirit without form, but can take on any form for us to hear him speak to us. I really never had a mental picture of God, but only to see his beauty in all his creation as it surrounds me. If you have ever laid down in a field or even your own backyard in the summer and just stared at the fluffy white clouds in the sky and seen images in them and felt the warm summer breeze engulf you like someone holding you warm in their arms, to me this is the total image of God in his creation. To walk through the woods and see all the beauty of the forest in the trees, plants and animals and especially the smell of the forest, that too is my image of God as in God all things are beautiful.

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

We know God is Spirit without form, but can take on any form for us to hear him speak to us. I really never had a mental picture of God, but only to see his beauty in all his creation as it surrounds me. If you have ever laid down in a field or even your own backyard in the summer and just stared at the fluffy white clouds in the sky and seen images in them and felt the warm summer breeze engulf you like someone holding you warm in their arms, to me this is the total image of God in his creation. To walk through the woods and see all the beauty of the forest in the trees, plants and animals and especially the smell of the forest, that too is my image of God as in God all things are beautiful.

Classic, artistic, aesthetic, with a sense of beauty. He's indeed a great God. :thumbsup

And definitely something forms in our minds when we hear/read such things as:

"And God said to Moses" or "And Moses said to God" or "And with a strong arm, God delivered Israel"

Forming a mental picture (MP) of Moses without a MP of God is impossible, and not that the MP is God Himself: NO - it isn't

Take for instance in a worship section:

images
images
images

It is impossible for people not to have a focus, i.e, a symbolic representation of whom they are worshipping. Some see the cross, some see His stripes, some see the thorns, some see His smiling face etc. People see alot of MPs - not that they are God.

I do not form an image of God. I 'see' God with my spirit. Relationship with God is beyond physical human senses (what you see, hear, touch), but sometimes God's essence permeates near us and glistens. Knowing God is within an enriching spiritual experience. I'd venture to say it is by another sense than the typical seeing, hearing, touching, etc. Exercise spirituality and a whole new world/sense will bust open filling you up with living waters...truly amazing. God is truly amazing.

do you realise that all those images in the ot and revalation are just for that purpose?

the menora has a purpose and meaning and symbol of our lord..

http://www.inhishand.com/menorah.htm

i have only glanced at this but when i did channukah and read on the menorah and miracle of it. i learned this fact from chabad.org and didnt get too deep into it.

I do not form an image of God. I 'see' God with my spirit. Relationship with God is beyond physical human senses (what you see, hear, touch), but sometimes God's essence permeates near us and glistens. Knowing God is within an enriching spiritual experience. I'd venture to say it is by another sense than the typical seeing, hearing, touching, etc. Exercise spirituality and a whole new world/sense will bust open filling you up with living waters...truly amazing. God is truly amazing.

Welcome to CF.net:wave
Thanks for your input:)

God created us in His own image (Gen 1:27)

Look at yourself in the mirror and say "Holy me God is gorgeous ! "

I do that all the time ... :D

I have no image but I have different views of God, one is closer than my best friend and closest of companions able to talk about everything that's small to me and then there's the majesty of God that's bigger than the universe where nothing can contain Him as he is everything...Same God

I have no image but I have different views of God, one is closer than my best friend and closest of companions able to talk about everything that's small to me and then there's the majesty of God that's bigger than the universe where nothing can contain Him as he is everything...Same God

Coool:D

When I close my eyes and think of God, I see a swirl of bright light, like looking at a galaxy or something. Sometimes I see a huge infinity sign, illuminating the darkness. Not Biblical at all, I know, but its how I see Him--infinite, majestic, transcendent.

What mental picture of God comes into your mind when the name 'God' is mentioned, or when you think about God?

Well, I have always carried this picture in my mind whenever GOD is mentioned or whenever I think about Him:

I see a Man, as huge as a mansion, seated upon a seat. He is so huge that the seat disappears under Him. He is dressed in a spotless white garment which covers the whole of His feeth, and he wears a crown of gold. Everything about Him is white save for His crown. He is so holy and pure.

Then, human beings and angels and other creatures gather all around Him. They are all as tiny as dust particles and seem to disappear under God's feet.

But I wonder why God's face is somewhat mean in my picture of Him. Perhaps it's the judgement day picture I've always carried about.

I wonder where I got this image from - but it has always been in me right from childhood.

So I wonder if any of us shares the same picture! What mental picture do you see whenever GOD is mentioned?

I don’t have a mental picture of the Lord. I think of him as a living, all-powerful, all-knowing spirit, whose only wish is that we should all be righteous, happy, and safe.

Back