Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Mice In My Kitchen

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
dont feed the cat

lol

That's a fallacy though. A female cat will hunt whether it's hungry or not. It's inherent in the instinct to hunt.
Please don't let your cats go hungry. They may be slowed down if they gain too much weight but they will hunt.

Watched a documentary on "Animal Planet" counting down the most ferocious predatory animals. The housecat ranked number one due to it's tenacity, patience, determination. I've known my two prominent mousers (both females) to watch a place for days. They may eat somewhere else or sleep somewhere else but they will return. If a mouse in this house is seen it's pretty much over.

That Cuddly Kitty Is Deadlier Than You Think
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/science/that-cuddly-kitty-of-yours-is-a-killer.html?_r=0

30cats-span-articleLarge.jpg

A domestic cat with a European rabbit. Domestic and feral cats are significant predators of a wide range of prey species, including rabbits.

Tweety Was Right: Cats Are a Bird’s No. 1 Enemy
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/21/science/21birds.html

BIRD-articleLarge.jpg

American house cats “are like gypsy moths and kudzu — they cause major ecological disruption,” one scientist says.

One thing I could never really figure out though is why isn't there "mouse" flavored cat food?
There's seafood, cod, salmon, liver, beef.. the list goes on and on but no "Chopped Mouse" or "Mouse Pate' " or "Flaked Mouse".
:shrug

:biggrin

Yes, Lewis, mine will get the younger rabbits but a full grown adult rabbit is a whole nuther matter

From your link

Yet even fed cats are profoundly tuned to the hunt, and when they see something flutter, they can’t help but move in for the kill. Dr. Fenwick argues that far more effort should be put into animal adoption. “For the great majority of healthy cats,” he said, “homes can be found.” Any outdoor colonies that remain should be enclosed, he said. “Cats don’t need to wander hundred of miles to be happy,” he said..

Last edited:
It took a study to show what farmers and many others already knew.
I suppose though it takes a quantified set of data to make an academic claim with evidence. :shrug

In my area I can't demonize the cat for what they do around here. There are few moles, mice, chipmunks (all rodents in general) and we are not plagued by garden invading rabbits. There are some rabbits but pose no real problems.

As a rule housecats will not confront bigger pests though like raccoons, possums, skunks, groundhogs, fox, crows, adult squirrels (though I've not seen mine bring home a young squirrel) and birds of prey.

There's plenty of wildlife to go around. Please be careful of those who may sound an alarm for whatever reason. Don't fool yourself, rodents carry all sorts of things not exactly helpful to humans or to the cats themselves. Worms, roundworms among others, are a big hitter here. Keep your cat fed so they don't have to eat such things.

Rick I have seen some cats in my life who would not fight a grown rat, or the adult raccoons or possums around here that love the historic graveyard out back.

It is working that Jaguar bait poison, it is doing what the reviews said, and that is give it a little time and your rodent problem will be gone. Now that is until the next ones come in. I am a happy camper right now. No mice droppings nowhere now.:approve:):yes
06ff36acdfbbac558ddececeefbbca9f.jpg

Last edited:
I've seen cats leave behind squirrel tails. My neighbors have a cat that's always catching and killing critters. Snakes, squirrels, all that. They take care of stray kittens sometimes, and one time the kittens were playing with one of the squirrel tails that one cat left behind.
Oh, this is a pretty big cat, too. Looks like a miniature panther. Even has the build for it.

3c3b293d60194880dfe4c5a40416b59f.jpg
Lewis,the house and garage I lived in before the one I am in now was infested with mice.Want to know how I got rid of them?We can talk.

I actually wouldn't mind having a pet mouse one day.
We got an infestation a couple years back, and the mice dropped like flies after hiding some poison. I had to slip gloves on to pick them up and get rid of them. I actually enjoyed studying their anatomy before tossing them out, it was interesting.

Cats are dangerous killers, even your house cat, let him or her out and they will kill and the females will kill constanly. They are killers and they stalk like their bigger cat cousins lions, tigers, panthers, cheetahs. Domestic cats act the same way they do when it come to killing, And yes Kathi we should talk.

Cats are dangerous killers, even your house cat, let him or her out and they will kill and the females will kill constanly. They are killers and they stalk like their bigger cat cousins lions, tigers, panthers, cheetahs. Domestic cats act the same way they do when it come to killing, And yes Kathi we should talk.
I have known people who have had female and males cats who sat around and watched the mice.There is no guarantee that your cat will be a hunter unless you starve them and I can't do that.
First of all don't bait your traps with cheese.That is old news.I know a guy who said he saw a mouse go in and get that cheese so fast that the snap of the trap missed it.Mice love peanut butter and chocolate the most.Smear a little bit of peanut butter on your trap.They have to work for that.
Second of all mice hate peppermint.They will avoid anywhere that the smell of peppermint lingers.I got some of the cotton square pads that you find in the Qtip and cotton ball section of the beauty dept of a store.I put two drops of peppermint on it.It has to be the real thing.I put these squares everywhere I saw mouse evidence.They were nesting in a couple of my kitchen drawers and after I put these in there no more mice.They had a mouse community underneath some built in shelves in the garage I put some of those peppermint squares all around and no more mice.
Third of all I got some "critter wire" at Home depot.It comes in a roll.It is flexible and they can not chew through it.But you have to know where they are coming from.When my son and I first noticed them they were having a convention in our family room.I was scared to death of them.My son followed them and found out where they were escaping.They were going into cracks so small it was unbelievable that a creature could go through something that narrow.A mouse can go through a crack that is 1/16 of an inch wide.I went through the house and put the wire on all the small cracks that I could find.
I bought some of the white mouse houses.They are kind of spendy so a lot of people do not like them.But I don't like to see or clean up mouse blood and guts.I caught 12 mice in a week.I put pieces of Reese's Peanut Butter cup in them.
Mice love little bits of food left here and there.Never ever leave any kind of food around.You might need to become a neat freak.The mice in my place would have starved.
Once I was pulling my car out of the garage.It was at night.I started my car and out of the outside vent on the windshield comes a mouse.It walked around the windshield for awhile.I did not want to turn on my windshield wipers because I did not mouse blood and guts all over my windshield.I sped up a bit and BYE BYE MOUSE.It flew off.I have heard that mice can get in the inside of your car so leave the windows closed.And they can get inside of your engine and cause problems.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back