Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Mormons and what they believe

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
neither have you addressed me, i asked how the mormon creation story in any form is found in the bible, for i believe and so do any bible reader and believer that all the visions of heaven are seen in ot and then are seen again in the nt, for example. Ezekiel sees the four living creatures,and the the throne of God in heaven and so did John, Daniel sees what appears to the son of God in heaven, and John sees the Lord between the minorahs. There are debates on what Daniel seen. but i believe what he saw was the Lord, he reacted the same as john, but wasnt told to get up as quickly, no angel has recieved that worship, unless he's the Lord.

Jason

Bane said:
Mormons are not Christian.

Why not. They seem Christian to me. Just another denomination. I grew up pentecostal. We were taught we were the only true Christians. Catholics were Idol worshipers and such. You are a little too judgmental in you declaration on who gets to be a real Christian.

I think that one Christian denomination saying another isn't really Christian is very bad. Here in Houston Second baptist people always say that the lakewood people are really Christians, and Joel Osteen doesn't say enough about sin ect. What's the point? If every denomination thinks they have the only truth it makes none of them have truth. Being an outsider it is impossible for me to know which one is right. Personally I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter. If Jesus died for my sins I don't have to pray or go to church or do anything to get to heaven. Either I'm forgiven or I'm not.

kenmaynard said:
Bane said:
Mormons are not Christian.

Why not. They seem Christian to me.
Ken, did you read any of Johnny's posts above? Just a few examples are 1- God was once a man who progressed to exaltation and became God of this earth. 2-Pre-mortal existance--before we were born God would sit in a council with us and the other little spirit children 3- read the copy of their Pearl of Great Price above where the creation story is accomplished by plural Gods. These are just a few examples but I think it's going to be REAL HARD for him to substantiate any of this in a Christian Bible.

Westtexas

telling and preaching the truth in God's word isnt being judgemental but the exact oppisite if its done with love,and the lord leading, I was told about sin in my life, and it had cause me to repent of my sins

jason

kenmaynard said:
Why not. They seem Christian to me. Just another denomination. I grew up pentecostal. We were taught we were the only true Christians. Catholics were Idol worshipers and such. You are a little too judgmental in you declaration on who gets to be a real Christian.

I think that one Christian denomination saying another isn't really Christian is very bad. Here in Houston Second baptist people always say that the lakewood people are really Christians, and Joel Osteen doesn't say enough about sin ect. What's the point? If every denomination thinks they have the only truth it makes none of them have truth. Being an outsider it is impossible for me to know which one is right. Personally I have come to the conclusion that it doesn't matter. If Jesus died for my sins I don't have to pray or go to church or do anything to get to heaven. Either I'm forgiven or I'm not.
The whole point is that just because a group claims to be Christian does not mean they are Christian. Even though amongst denominations there are differences, at the core there are shared foundational beliefs which define what Christians are to believe. The problem with Mormonism (and JWs) is that it denies the core beliefs; they cannot be defined as Christian.

It very much does matter in this case. The Bible explicitly warns against false doctrines, teachers and prophets. Paul clearly states that if anyone, even and angel from heaven, preaches another gospel that he is accursed. The Church has the biblical mandate to not only teach the truth but protect it and defend it.

I grew up pentecostal. We were taught we were the only true Christians.
So was I. Then I discovered I had a brain and decided to use it.

While it can be very difficult to wade through all this stuff to try and figure out which one is right--and none are 100% right--it is not that difficult to figure out which ones are not right.

JOSEPH SMITHâ€â€HISTORY
EXTRACTS FROM THE HISTORY OF JOSEPH SMITH, THE PROPHET
History of the Church, Vol. 1, Chapters 1-5

18 My object in going to inquire of the Lord was to know which of all the sects was right, that I might know which to join. No sooner, therefore, did I get possession of myself, so as to be able to speak, than I asked the Personages who stood above me in the light, which of all the sects was right (for at this time it had never entered into my heart that all were wrong)â€â€and which I should join.
19 I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: “they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.â€Â
20 He again forbade me to join with any of them; and many other things did he say unto me, which I cannot write at this time.

Ok, so why does the LDS church want to be known as a part of the Christian community "that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight", "for they were all wrong;" and "that those professors were all corrupt"??

:confused

Never could figure that one out.

kenmaynard said:
Lucifer is God's Son. Or are you saying God didn't create everything?

God creating everything does not automatically make everything His sons.
Where in the Bible does it say so, or where in the Bible does it say Lucifer is God's son ?

Mormon teachings has it that Jesus and Lucifer were/are brothers. To be brief one was to come to earth to straighten everything out, a plan of salvation. God liked Jesus's idea better and sent him instead of Lucifer who got mad and caused all sorts of problems.

Tina said:
kenmaynard said:
Lucifer is God's Son. Or are you saying God didn't create everything?

God creating everything does not automatically make everything His sons.
Where in the Bible does it say so, or where in the Bible does it say Lucifer is God's son ?

God created Lucifer. Lucifer was the most beautiful angel. Lucifer rebelled. Lucifer fell. God loves Lucifer, but cast him out for rebellion, along with many other angels. That's what I was taught. If you learned something different well don't know what to say about that. Since God created Lucifer he is Lucifer's father, just like yours and mine.

kenmaynard said:
God created Lucifer. Lucifer was the most beautiful angel. Lucifer rebelled. Lucifer fell. God loves Lucifer, but cast him out for rebellion, along with many other angels. That's what I was taught. If you learned something different well don't know what to say about that. Since God created Lucifer he is Lucifer's father, just like yours and mine.

God also created the trees and animals , so do you conclude that He is their "father" ?

:screwloose

Tina said:
kenmaynard said:

God also created the trees and animals , so do you conclude that He is their "father" ?

Yes God is the father of all creation.

kenmaynard said:

In the Bible , God calls only Jesus His Son. Nowhere does He even hint that ALL of His creations are His "sons" or that He is their "father" . Where do you get your sources from ?

Tina said:
kenmaynard said:

In the Bible , God calls only Jesus His Son. Nowhere does He even hint that ALL of His creations are His "sons" or that He is their "father" . Where do you get your sources from ?

Our Father, who art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name.
Thy Kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom, the power and the glory. for ever and ever. Amen

Notice specifically the father part.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back