Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

My take on Trinity

What problem specifically?
The Masoretic text for Isaiah 9:6, which the OP quoted says,

Isaiah 9:6 (KJV 1900): For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given:
And the government shall be upon his shoulder:
And his name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God,
The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.

It calls Jesus the everlasting Father. The texts we use for the English translations are from approximately 700-1000 AD. Our copies of the Septuagint, which is what we find Jesus and the apostles primarily quoting from, is several hundred years earlier and it reads differently.

Isaiah 9:6–7 (NETS (Primary Texts)): because a child was born for us,
a son also given to us,
whose sovereignty was upon his shoulder,
and he is named Messenger of Great Counsel,
for I will bring peace upon the rulers,
peace and health to him.
7(6) His sovereignty is great,
and his peace has no boundary
upon the throne of Dauid and his kingdom,
to make it prosper and to uphold it
with righteousness and with judgment
from this time onward and forevermore.
The zeal of the Lord Sabaoth will do these things.

Notice there is nothing here about everlasting Father.

I'm sorry, I just have a hard time taking you seriously when you tell me that emptying something means adding to it.
Well, that’s one way to avoid dealing with what Phil 2 states about the Son emptying himself, and avoid dealing with the rest of my points. Two birds with one stone.

Well, that’s one way to avoid dealing with what Phil 2 states about the Son emptying himself, and avoid dealing with the rest of my points. Two birds with one stone.
It's not avoidance. I'm just being rational. You said of the Trinity in post 251.

Free---"What it's always been: three divine, coeternal, coequal, consubstantial persons within the one Being that is God. It's worded specifically to avoid three persons in one person or three Gods in one God, as those are contradictions."

To which I replied.

"I've not presented a straw man. I've presented the Trinity as you yourself have. Here is your quote.

Free---"What it's always been: three divine, coeternal, coequal, consubstantial persons within the one Being that is God. It's worded specifically to avoid three persons in one person or three Gods in one God, as those are contradictions."

Three persons in one being. The words person and being are synonymous. They are interchangeable. So, saying three persons in one person is synonymous with what you said. It is illogical to claim that three persons can exist as one being or person. It's not a straw man, it's an illogical doctrine."

To say, three persons exist as one being, or person, is illogical and irrational.

Then I pointed out that in Philippians 2 Paul states that Jesus was in the form of God and emptied Himself. To which you relied.

"No, that is not what Paul says. You need to read closer at what Paul actually writes:

7 but emptied himself
by
taking on the form of a slave,
by looking like other men,
and by sharing in human nature.

The emptying was not the emptying of "the form of God," but was by adding "the form of a slave," "looking like other men," and "sharing in human nature." It's an emptying by addition, since God cannot cease to be God, even when he comes in human flesh."

You completely ignored what it is that He emptied Himself of and then gave me a ridiculous statement saying, "It's an emptying by addition." In what world is emptying something adding to it?

Then you finished the sentence with a logical fallacy. "since God cannot cease to be God, even when he comes in human flesh." What is at question is whether Jesus is the true God. You've assumed Jesus is God, in the Trinitarian sense, to argue that Jesus is God, in the Trinitarian sense. That is begging the question or circular reasoning.

I also pointed out that Paul said, "there is one God, the Father." You argued that if the "one God" statement excludes Jesus, then the "one Lord" statement must exclude the Father. I responded with, both of Paul's statements. Here they are.

4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one. 5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) 6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), 1 Co 8:4–6.

The same Paul who made the above statement also made this statement.

13 I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession; 14 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: 15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords; 16 Who only hath immortality, adwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be dhonour and power everlasting. Amen.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), 1 Ti 6:13–16.

So, Paul sees the Father as Lord of lords and at the same time he said, "we have one Lord Jesus Christ." So, either Paul contradicted himself, he's wrong, or he understands things a little differently than you do. So, your argument is with Paul, not me. He shows in these two statements that saying, "one Lord Jesus Christ" does not necessarily exclude the Father as Lord. You simply dismissed this argument.

So, no, It's not avoidance. I'd love to discuss the issue if it's done in a logical and rational way. But there's no point in addressing nonsensical claims.

Last edited:
It's not avoidance. I'm just being rational. You said of the Trinity in post 251.

To which I replied.

"I've not presented a straw man. I've presented the Trinity as you yourself have. Here is your quote.

Three persons in one being. The words person and being are synonymous. They are interchangeable. So, saying three persons in one person is synonymous with what you said. It is illogical to claim that three persons can exist as one being or person. It's not a straw man, it's an illogical doctrine."

To say, three persons exist as one being, or person, is illogical and irrational.
Once again, you are presenting a straw man since you are erroneously conflating two terms which mean different things when it comes to the Trinity. If you’re going to argue against the Trinity, then it must be the historic, orthodox doctrine as it has been defined. And that doctrine makes a strong distinction between person and being. It was purposefully defined in such a way as to avoid the contradiction you think it is and the others that I have pointed out.

It's three whos, one what; three hypostases, one homoousios; three persons, one essence or substance. That is, "being" is not to be equated with person, but with essence.

Then I pointed out that in Philippians 2 Paul states that Jesus was in the form of God and emptied Himself. To which you relied.

"No, that is not what Paul says. You need to read closer at what Paul actually writes:

7 but emptied himself
by
taking on the form of a slave,
by looking like other men,
and by sharing in human nature.

The emptying was not the emptying of "the form of God," but was by adding "the form of a slave," "looking like other men," and "sharing in human nature." It's an emptying by addition, since God cannot cease to be God, even when he comes in human flesh."

You completely ignored what it is that He emptied Himself of and then gave me a ridiculous statement saying, "It's an emptying by addition." In what world is emptying something adding to it?
Look at what is says. I even bolded the relevant parts: he "emptied himself by taking on the form of salve, by looking like other men, and by sharing in human nature." That is what it says. In taking on human nature, it naturally limits some of his attributes as God, but it doesn't mean he ceases to be God.

Then you finished the sentence with a logical fallacy. "since God cannot cease to be God, even when he comes in human flesh."
What, exactly, is fallacious about it?

What is at question is whether Jesus is the true God. You've assumed Jesus is God, in the Trinitarian sense, to argue that Jesus is God, in the Trinitarian sense. That is begging the question or circular reasoning.
No, there is no such fallacy on my part. I have shown from Scripture that Jesus is God; it is precisely one of the reasons why the doctrine of the Trinity exists. That was HERE.

I also pointed out that Paul said, "there is one God, the Father." You argued that if the "one God" statement excludes Jesus, then the "one Lord" statement must exclude the Father. I responded with, both of Paul's statements. Here they are.

4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one. 5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,) 6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), 1 Co 8:4–6.
Repeating your assertion doesn't make it true. My argument is from logic and it is sound. You're also ignoring the other argument I made from it, namely, that if "of whom are all things" speaks of the eternal nature of the Father, then it necessarily follows that "by whom are all things" speaks of the eternal nature of Jesus. Those are two sound arguments.

The same Paul who made the above statement also made this statement.

13 I give thee charge in the sight of God, who quickeneth all things, and before Christ Jesus, who before Pontius Pilate witnessed a good confession; 14 That thou keep this commandment without spot, unrebukeable, until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ: 15 Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords; 16 Who only hath immortality, adwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom no man hath seen, nor can see: to whom be dhonour and power everlasting. Amen.

The Holy Bible: King James Version, Electronic Edition of the 1900 Authorized Version. (Bellingham, WA: Logos Research Systems, Inc., 2009), 1 Ti 6:13–16.

So, Paul sees the Father as Lord of lords and at the same time he said, "we have one Lord Jesus Christ." So, either Paul contradicted himself, he's wrong, or he understands things a little differently than you do. So, your argument is with Paul, not me. He shows in these two statements that saying, "one Lord Jesus Christ" does not necessarily exclude the Father as Lord. You simply dismissed this argument.
Dismissed it? I would appreciate it you didn't say falsehoods about me. I have clearly addressed it more than once. I have shown that Jesus is also called the King of kings and Lord of lords, among other titles used of God. That was also HERE.

So, no, It's not avoidance. I'd love to discuss the issue if it's done in a logical and rational way. But there's no point in addressing nonsensical claims.
I have given straight up logical arguments which you have yet to address. Everything I have given has been in a logical and rational way. If you think being logical and using reason is nonsensical, that's on you.

Do you have a reference that says the Greek word for "divine being" = the English word "Trinity"?

The Bible in both Old and New Testament says that there are THREE distinct "Persons", as opposed to "things", Who are equally called GOD. The term Trinity is Three Persons, "Tri", Who are One in "unity". There is NO teaching in the entire 66 Books of the Holy Bible, that says God is "Unitarian", this is a demonic heresy!

The Bible in both Old and New Testament says that there are THREE distinct "Persons", as opposed to "things", Who are equally called GOD. The term Trinity is Three Persons, "Tri", Who are One in "unity". There is NO teaching in the entire 66 Books of the Holy Bible, that says God is "Unitarian", this is a demonic heresy!

This will be the 5th and the last time I am asking you this:

Do you have a reference that says the Greek word for "divine being" = the English word "Trinity"?

Please note the boldface word. I am asking about scholarly references. You seem to have trouble understanding my question.

This will be the 5th and the last time I am asking you this:

Please note the boldface word. I am asking about scholarly references. You seem to have trouble understanding my question.

The Greek word θειότης as used in Romans 1.20 means, Divine Nature, or as the KJV reads Godhead

The word in itself does not mean Trinity

Back