Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Perseverance

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Tessa

This is one of my many weaknesses. Discouragement chases me about like a frenzied fly.
In the effort for encouragement I chose a few things to preserve in.

Any comments/verses would be greatly appreciated. :)

PRAYER AND TRIBULATION

1 Thessalonians 5:17 NKJV
"Pray without ceasing.'

Romans 12:12 NKJV
'Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer.'

TEMPTATION, PAST SINS AND PRESENT SINS

James 1:12 NKJV

'Blessed is the man who endures temptation; for when he has been approved, he will receive the crown of life which the Lord has promised to those who love him.'

Galations 5:1 NKJV

'Steadfast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a time of bondage.'

John 8:36 NKJV
Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed. '

LUKE 21:19 NKJV

'By your patience possess your souls."

IN GOOD WORKS

2 Thessalonians 3:13 NKJV

'But as for you brethren, do not grow weary in doing good.'

Galatians 6:9 NKJV

'And let is not grow weary while doing good,for in due season we shall reap if we do not lose heart.'

A PROMISE AND A WARNING

Revelation 3:10-11 NKJV

10. Because you have kept my command to preserver, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth.
11. Behold, I come quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no-one may take your crown.'

Does anyone else find persevering hard? Perhaps the best remedy is keepin9g our eyes on the Lord. He has given the strength to persevere. How do you manage perseverance?

hello Tessa, dirtfarmer here

Our salvation is as secure as Jesus Christ is truthful.
John 10:28, " And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand." No one has the ability to overcome the power of the blood of Christ. we are secure.
Our salvation is not dependent on us.
Ephesians 2:8, " For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is :woot2
the gift of God.:woot2".
Jude 1, " Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James,:thumbsup to them that are sanctified by God the Father, :lock and preserved in Christ Jesus:lock, and called:"

The thing that the believer is in danger of losing are their rewards, not their salvation.

Regardless the storms :whirlthat may come our way, we are secure in Christ:sohappy.

Donut machine...

That's what I think about when perseverance comes up.

Ever been to the shop that has one?

It just spits out doughnuts...lots and lots.
There's crust around all the moving parts...from frosting to grease. It doesn't do anything different than what it was made to do. It doesn't change and decide to do bagels...all it makes is donuts. Ten years from now it will still be making donuts. But that's it's purpose. That's what it was made to do. It doesn't get smart, it doesn't try to get clever...it does as it's supposed to do.
Through the high employee turnover to the years the same ones are there...it makes donuts. Not some gourmet fru-fru thing...just donuts. Not jelly filled or eclairs...donuts. throughout the seasons, despite the weather, it makes donuts.
It's very consistent in that fashion.

And there's something about that which I find comforting. Doing the job I'm meant to do despite others and the conditions around me... consistent...as if I'm too stupid to do otherwise. Crusty from years of consistent work...
And that donut shop where they got that machine is usually jammed with people. It looks like a dive. Same old tables. Same display cases. Parking lot...same potholes. Same old sign. It's a clean place...but it doesn't have anything new...
It was built in either the 50's or 60's. It's not got a thing to do with being trendy or the hottest and latest food trend. GMO Free? Organic? That ain't this place. But it's one of the busiest places. Sure they get you in and out quick...there's not a lot of choices.

But it's what people really want. Hot, fresh, and tasty donuts. They know what they are getting when they come through the door.
And they come by the hundreds of thousands. No matter what the health food experts say or do.

Any comments/verses would be greatly appreciated. :)

Read chaper 3 (the conclusion of Peter’s love letter) through without stopping. (No verses):

Beloved, I am now writing this second letter to you, in which letters I am arousing your pure mind with a reminder to remember the words having been spoken-beforehand by the holy prophets and the commandment of the Lord and Savior from your apostles, knowing this first— that mockers will come with mocking in the last days, proceeding in accordance with their own desires, and saying “Where is the promise of His coming? For from which day the fathers fell-asleep, everything is continuing in-this-manner from the beginning of creation”.
For this escapes-notice-of those who are willing— that by the word of God there were heavens from-long-ago, and an earth having existence out of water and by water, through which the world at that time was destroyed, having been flooded with water. And by the same word the present heavens and earth have been stored-up for fire, being reserved for the day of the judgment and destruction of ungodly people.
But do not let this one thing be escaping your notice, beloved— that one day with the Lord is like a thousand years, and a thousand years is like one day. The Lord is not being slow about the promise as some regard slowness, but He is being patient toward you, not wishing any to perish, but all to make-room for repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief— during which the heavens will pass-away with-a-roar, and the elements will be destroyed while burning, and the earth and the works in it will be found. All these things thus being destroyed, what-kind-of people ought you to be in holy behaviors and acts of godliness, looking-for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed, being set-on-fire, and the elements are melted while burning. But in accordance with His promise we are looking-for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells.
Therefore beloved, while looking-for these things, be diligent to be found unspotted and unblemished by Him, in peace. And be regarding the patience of our Lord to be salvation, just as also our beloved brother Paul wrote to you according-to the wisdom having been given to him, as also he writes in all his letters, speaking in them concerning these things, in which letters are some things hard-to-understand which the untaught and unstable twist— as also the other Scriptures— to their own destruction.
You therefore, beloved, knowing-this-beforehand, be guarding yourselves in order that you may not fall-from your own steadfastness, having been carried-away-by the error of the lawless ones. And be growing in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now, and to the day of eternity. Amen.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+peter+3&version=DLNT

You are steadfastly loved by the Lord, Amen.
The rest, not an issue!

Last edited:
Donut machine...

There's crust around all the moving parts...from frosting to grease. It doesn't do anything different than what it was made to do. It doesn't change and decide to do bagels...all it makes is donuts. Ten years from now it will still be making donuts. But that's it's purpose. That's what it was made to do. It doesn't get smart, it doesn't try to get clever...it does as it's supposed to do.
Through the high employee turnover to the years the same ones are there...it makes donuts. Not some gourmet fru-fru thing...just donuts. Not jelly filled or eclairs...donuts. throughout the seasons, despite the weather, it makes donuts.

And there's something about that which I find comforting. Doing the job I'm meant to do despite others and the conditions around me... consistent...as if I'm too stupid to do otherwise. Crusty from years of consistent work...
And that donut shop where they got that machine is usually jammed with people. It looks like a dive. Same old tables. Same display cases. Parking lot...same potholes. Same old sign. It's a clean place...but it doesn't have anything new...
It was built in either the 50's or 60's. It's not got a thing to do with being trendy or the hottest and latest food trend. GMO Free? Organic? That ain't this place. But it's one of the busiest places. Sure they get you in and out quick...there's not a lot of choices.

But it's what people really want. Hot, fresh, and tasty donuts. They know what they are getting when they come through the door.
And they come by the hundreds of thousands. No matter what the health food experts say or do.

Crabapples! You're lucky I love you because I really want to hate you sometimes. Now you have made me having a craving for donuts! :lol

Donut machine...

Good point!
When I was running, it was about consistancy which built endurance. Endurance was built when your body said quit, but your soul said keep going, push through the pain. I was always rewarded with a rush of endorphins after pushing through.

Good point!
When I was running, it was about consistancy which built endurance. Endurance was built when your body said quit, but your soul said keep going, push through the pain. I was always rewarded with a rush of endorphins after pushing through.
That sounds completely terrible and yet amazing at the same time . . :)

hello Tessa, dirtfarmer here

Our salvation is as secure as Jesus Christ is truthful.
John 10:28, " And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand." No one has the ability to overcome the power of the blood of Christ. we are secure.
Our salvation is not dependent on us.
Ephesians 2:8, " For by grace are ye saved through faith, and that not of yourselves: it is :woot2
the gift of God.:woot2".
Jude 1, " Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James,:thumbsup to them that are sanctified by God the Father, :lock and preserved in Christ Jesus:lock, and called:"

The thing that the believer is in danger of losing are their rewards, not their salvation.

Regardless the storms :whirlthat may come our way, we are secure in Christ:sohappy.
Thank you dirtfarmer your post makes a lot of sense.

[QUOTE="JohnDB, post: 1479612, memb4

There's crust around all the moving It doesn't change and decide to do bagels...all it makes is donuts. Ten years from now it will still be making donuts. But that's it's purpose.

And there's something about that which I find comforting. Doing the job I'm meant to do despite others and the conditions around me... consistent...as if I'm too stupid to do otherwise. Crusty from years of .[/QUOTE]

Love this John - thank you

Read chaper 3 (the conclusion of Peter’s love letter) through without stopping. (No verses):

Beloved, I am now writing this second letter to you, in which letters I am arousing your pure mind with a reminder to remember the words having been spoken-beforehand by the holy prophets and the commandment of the Lord and Savior from your apostles, knowing this first— that mockers will come with mocking in the last days, proceeding in accordance with their own desires, and saying “Where is the promise of His coming? For from which day the fathers fell-asleep, everything is continuing in-this-manner from the beginning of creation”.
For this escapes-notice-of those who are willing— that by the word of God there were heavens from-long-ago, and an earth having existence out of water and by water, through which the world at that time was destroyed, having been flooded with water. And by the same word the present heavens and earth have been stored-up for fire, being reserved for the day of the judgment and destruction of ungodly people.
But do not let this one thing be escaping your notice, beloved— that one day with the Lord is like a thousand years, and a thousand years is like one day. The Lord is not being slow about the promise as some regard slowness, but He is being patient toward you, not wishing any to perish, but all to make-room for repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief— during which the heavens will pass-away with-a-roar, and the elements will be destroyed while burning, and the earth and the works in it will be found. All these things thus being destroyed, what-kind-of people ought you to be in holy behaviors and acts of godliness, looking-for and hastening the coming of the day of God, because of which the heavens will be destroyed, being set-on-fire, and the elements are melted while burning. But in accordance with His promise we are looking-for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells.
Therefore beloved, while looking-for these things, be diligent to be found unspotted and unblemished by Him, in peace. And be regarding the patience of our Lord to be salvation, just as also our beloved brother Paul wrote to you according-to the wisdom having been given to him, as also he writes in all his letters, speaking in them concerning these things, in which letters are some things hard-to-understand which the untaught and unstable twist— as also the other Scriptures— to their own destruction.
You therefore, beloved, knowing-this-beforehand, be guarding yourselves in order that you may not fall-from your own steadfastness, having been carried-away-by the error of the lawless ones. And be growing in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now, and to the day of eternity. Amen.
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2+peter+3&version=DLNT

You are steadfastly loved by the Lord, Amen.
The rest, not an issue!

Thank you chessman. I have read your post 3 times. This is what I needed. I love the way this chapter is written.
I have found every post helpful. Thanks to everyone.

Good point!

It's the same thing with temptations. Persevere to overcome. When the test comes, endure and overcome. When we give in to carnality, it will set us back and then we fail even easier the next time, until finally like a dark cloud will envelope you and you have a new habit.

when we exercise our endurance by persevering to obey the Lord and do do the Lord's will, then we are strengthened and ministered to by the Lord and grace and favor are added unto us.
Just like what happened to Jesus in the desert when He was there for 40 days and was tempted by the devil. After He passed, Angels came and ministered to Him.

Philippians 3:13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Colossians 3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

If Christ before us what could ever be against us that could prosper in those who are of Christ. The joy of the Lord is my strength :sohappy

Exactly
It's the same thing with temptations. Persevere to overcome. When the test comes, endure and overcome. When we give in to carnality, it will set us back and then we fail even easier the next time, until finally like a dark cloud will envelope you and you have a new habit.

when we exercise our endurance by persevering to obey the Lord and do do the Lord's will, then we are strengthened and ministered to by the Lord and grace and favor are added unto us.
Just like what happened to Jesus in the desert when He was there for 40 days and was tempted by the devil. After He passed, Angels came and ministered to Him.

Exactly what was going on my mind. Thank you Edward.

Philippians 3:13 Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, 14 I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Colossians 3:1 If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God. 2 Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth. 3 For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God. 4 When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory.

If Christ before us what could ever be against us that could prosper in those who are of Christ. The joy of the Lord is my strength :sohappy
Thank you for the encouragement For_His_Glory :wave2

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back