Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Poll: Is ear piercing really too 'liberal'?

Can an earring for a man be a positive testimony?

• Yes, sometimes

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • No, never

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Don't know

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • Don't care

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Re: Okay so best way to pierce ears?

When I mentioned that I might be interested in earrings to the pastor's wife, she offered to take me to the store sometime to get it done. But if going to a parlor is best, I guess I ought to go with that.

Re: Is it supposedly 'liberal' to let your son pierce his ears?

questdriven:

It's maybe interesting that many men among the former community of Mountain Jews in Morocco, who dated their diaspora from the Israelites' journeying in the Wilderness, traditionally wore earrings as, supposedly, a sign that their ancestors did not participate in Aaron's idolatry with the golden calf. (Just a tradition, of course.)
Interesting. :)

questdriven:

Yes, well, the word in the title was put in inverted commas; I think it was because I was questioning its use in illogical or irrelevant ways, really, as it seemed to me. I find such usage somewhat illogical, anyway.

(My previous post, which arrived just as yours did, was in response, with one or two observations, to your post on the male aspect.)

Blessings.
True.
If someone were to use the word liberal to mean liberty, no one would know what they meant as it's used to describe a political ideology. I was just saying.

When I mentioned that I might be interested in earrings to the pastor's wife, she offered to take me to the store sometime to get it done. But if going to a parlor is best, I guess I ought to go with that.

questdriven:

Well, you're an adult and it sounds anyway like you are making the decision on your own that this is a womanly thing that you definitely want.

I'll just say this about your reference to the wife of the preacher from your church; with the other comments you've made about various questions you have, it's really nice that you and she do have a personal relationship that's good enough for her to offer to take you to have it done.

I guess transport may be an issue, that you've mentioned in other connections.

So although going to the piercing/tattoo parlor to have it done there might be preferable (you might want to 'phone anyway to check on prices), good also to bear her offer in mind, to take you, I guess. She sounds like a nice lady, anyhow.

God bless.

questdriven:

Well, you're an adult and it sounds anyway like you are making the decision on your own that this is a womanly thing that you definitely want.

I'll just say this about your reference to the wife of the preacher from your church; with the other comments you've made about various questions you have, it's really nice that you and she do have a personal relationship that's good enough for her to offer to take you to have it done.

I guess transport may be an issue, that you've mentioned in other connections.

So although going to the piercing/tattoo parlor to have it done there might be preferable (you might want to 'phone anyway to check on prices), good also to bear her offer in mind, to take you, I guess. She sounds like a nice lady, anyhow.

God bless.
Yes, she is very nice.

Yes, she is very nice.

questdriven:

Sounds like she is, anyhow.

By the sound of it, the store that she mentioned would probably use the gun method, and she would probably tell you it should be fine.

But sounds like you'd really prefer to be done by a needle in the more thoroughly sanitized environment of a piercing/tattoo parlor, right?

(If they can give you a good quote, and you can get there, that is.)

Blessings.

...my answer is to get the most professional person you can, where your going to have the least chance of an infection.

PS: JohnR: Sometimes in a neighborhood, this would be a doctor. Although they are very pressed for time, and might not see it as a priority for especially for adults that can organize for themselves other options. Piercing/tattoo parlors tend positively to invite regulation and inspection and one can therefore approach this option with quite a degree of confidence. In the final analysis, it's a bit like a private clinic, really.

vocalyokel:

So basically your notion of Christian spirituality includes being free to say derogatory things about Christian women with red lips, and about young people with studs in their ears.

Well, I see.

No these are not my notions young man, all I've been posting is basically what the bible says about dress and how we look, sadly this whole subject of piercings, dress and tatoo's and what have you, are not an issue of whether they are right or wrong, but more of an issue of why you would want to do them

we are told to live by the Spirit, the flesh and the spirit are at war with eachother, to do the things of the flesh pretty much means you live by the flesh, when you live by the Spirit, you really are not even interested in such things as fancy clothes, specific hair do's, earings and tatoo's........none of these things do anything for the Spirit, so if you want earings and tatoo's and designer clothes and look like the most fashionable young man of the year, be my guest! don't let me stop you, or anything I say stop you

but the bottom line and the fact of the matter is as I said in the very begining "Its hard to walk in the Spirit when your trying to fit into this world"

I actually don't fit into this world at all, I don't love this world, I don't love the things in this world, this world is not my home, you can have it all to yourself

No these are not my notions young man, all I've been posting is basically what the bible says about dress and how we look, sadly this whole subject of piercings, dress and tatoo's and what have you, are not an issue of whether they are right or wrong, but more of an issue of why you would want to do them

we are told to live by the Spirit, the flesh and the spirit are at war with eachother, to do the things of the flesh pretty much means you live by the flesh, when you live by the Spirit, you really are not even interested in such things as fancy clothes, specific hair do's, earings and tatoo's........none of these things do anything for the Spirit, so if you want earings and tatoo's and designer clothes and look like the most fashionable young man of the year, be my guest! don't let me stop you, or anything I say stop you

but the bottom line and the fact of the matter is as I said in the very begining "Its hard to walk in the Spirit when your trying to fit into this world"

I actually don't fit into this world at all, I don't love this world, I don't love the things in this world, this world is not my home, you can have it all to yourself

vocalyokel:

Ty for your thoughts. I do wholeheartedly appreciate your last paragraph and would say a resounding 'Amen'.

Actually I'm also flattered that you call me a young man because I've been around for several decades myself, as maybe you have, too.

But if young men, especially, show with studs in their ears, I really wouldn't link it with opposition to the Gospel or anything like this. It's a widespread custom, but some of the young men who have them are also keen Christians.

Blessings.

vocalyokel:

Ty for your thoughts. I do wholeheartedly appreciate your last paragraph and would say a resounding 'Amen'.

Actually I'm also flattered that you call me a young man because I've been around for several decades myself, as maybe you have, too.

But if young men, especially, show with studs in their ears, I really wouldn't link it with opposition to the Gospel or anything like this. It's a widespread custom, but some of the young men who have them are also keen Christians.

Blessings.

I find the coolest Christians are the ones that are described in the bible

Isaiah 53:2
He grew up before him like a tender shoot,<SUP class=crossreference value='(A)'></SUP>
and like a root<SUP class=crossreference value='(B)'></SUP> out of dry ground.
He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to him,
nothing in his appearance<SUP class=crossreference value='(C)'></SUP> that we should desire him.

If Jesus is really truly our best example, in life and looks, then walk as Jesus, look like Jesus, be like Jesus

He grew up before him like a tender shoot,<SUP class=crossreference value='(A)'></SUP>
nothing in his appearance<SUP class=crossreference value='(C)'></SUP> that we should desire him.

If Jesus is really truly our best example, in life and looks, then walk as Jesus, look like Jesus, be like Jesus

This is a great verse, very humbling, and beloved of Christians for many years and centuries, indeed.

I just don't think that it's necessary arbitrarily to put restrictions on people such as not wearing certain items of jewelry, whether earrings, or whatever. Some young men who do wear earrings are keen Christians, anyway.

I have no idea what you mean by cool Christian....

Wear a dress and sandles? Long hair? No deoderant or toothpaste? Can u say hippie? :shades

I have no idea what you mean by cool Christian....

Oxford dictionary definition 9. Excellent, Marvelous

since the scripture is one describing Jesus and He is for which we are named "Christ" ians and followers of Christ, little christ, then I will add He is more than Excellent and Marvelous, Awsome and Righteous and Holy...........He is by far the coolest, if you were a hip cat and knew where i was coming from you would dig it man!

Wear a dress and sandles? Long hair? No deoderant or toothpaste? Can u say hippie? :shades

I don't believe I read that into that scripture, I see nothing that would denote Him to be offensive to view or smell, now John the Baptist on the other hand well thats another story

Oxford dictionary definition 9. Excellent, Marvelous

since the scripture is one describing Jesus and He is for which we are named "Christ" ians and followers of Christ, little christ, then I will add He is more than Excellent and Marvelous, Awsome and Righteous and Holy...........He is by far the coolest, if you were a hip cat and knew where i was coming from you would dig it man!

ROFLLLLLLLLL you are so telling your age!:toofunny

Yes, adults make their own choices.

In the world the people of the world do make their own choices, when you become a disciple of Jesus all your decisions get put through the dead to flesh Holy Spirit filter..............well thats if you are a disciple of Jesus, if your just a Joel Osteen Christian and are merely a Christian in passing thought,

then by all means try to do everything the world is doing, wear what the world is wearing and keep up with who's who in the celebratity world, and try to be the most worldly appealing christian possible, that way when you lead someone to Christ, you can explain that you became like them to lead them to Christ, but now like the rich young ruler you have to explain they have to give up everything to follow Christ

Oh! wait thats Jesus's teaching, you have the more worldly friendly gospel where you pretty much don't have to give up anything......yeah its a little different from the one Jesus preached and the apostles taught about, I like to refer to that gospel as the running through fire gospel, while it contains life saving doctrine, it leaves the person having their whole wasted life burned up as they enter heaven charred from the ruins of worldly living

Re: Poll: Earring for a man, a positive testimony

"for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart."~I Samuel 16:7b KJV

In the world the people of the world do make their own choices, when you become a disciple of Jesus all your decisions get put through the dead to flesh Holy Spirit filter..............well thats if you are a disciple of Jesus, if your just a Joel Osteen Christian and are merely a Christian in passing thought,

then by all means try to do everything the world is doing, wear what the world is wearing and keep up with who's who in the celebratity world, and try to be the most worldly appealing christian possible, that way when you lead someone to Christ, you can explain that you became like them to lead them to Christ, but now like the rich young ruler you have to explain they have to give up everything to follow Christ

Oh! wait thats Jesus's teaching, you have the more worldly friendly gospel where you pretty much don't have to give up anything......yeah its a little different from the one Jesus preached and the apostles taught about, I like to refer to that gospel as the running through fire gospel, while it contains life saving doctrine, it leaves the person having their whole wasted life burned up as they enter heaven charred from the ruins of worldly living

vocal: So if I can gauge what you are saying, you say that pierced ears could be a sign of being theologically aberrant? :chin

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back