Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Praying to Mary

Doesn't this practice contradict Scripture?

Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time, for which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle—I am speaking the truth in Christ and not lying—a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.
1 Timothy 2:1-7 NKJV

Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered. Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
Romans 8:26-27 NKJV

How does it contradicts the scriptures you quote?

You will find The Hail Mary prsurt pm wikipedia. This is the traditional prayer to Mary for the Roman Catholic Church.

There are many traditional prayers but the "Hail Mary" is the most common.

Hail Mary, full of grace, The Lord is with thee (from Lk 1:28)
Blessed art thou among women and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. (from Lk 1:42)
Holy Mary, (she is holy)
Mother of God (a correct title)
Pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen (request for her intercession)

mARY IS A PERSON JUST LIKE US. SHE WAS A CHOSEN VESSEL TO BRING IN THE cHRIST SEED. just like rahab the harlot .but mary was a young pure virgin. but has no spiritual authority.
praying to her is vain repetitions and is not scriptural

I disagree.

Mary as Mediatrix
The Second Vatican Council in it's document Lumen Gentium (Dogmatic Constitution on The Church)starts in para 60 starts There is but one Mediator as we know from the words of the apostle, "for there is one God and one mediator of God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself a redemption for all".(298)”
(298) is a reference to footnote 256 - 1Tim2:5-6.

The Catholic Church does not teach against this scripture but supports it. Other references to Jesus being the one Mediator can be found in the following paragraphs:
8 (one Mediator)
14 (one Mediator)
28 (sole mediator)
41 (unique Mediator)
49 (one Mediator)
56 (one and only Mediator)
62 (one Mediator)
The Church is quote clear that there is only one Mediator – and that is not Mary.

The same document in referring to Mary as Mediatrix states (para 62): This, however, is to be so understood that it neither takes away from nor adds anything to the dignity and efficaciousness of Christ the one Mediator.
Therefore in the way that the Church understands the term it does not imply that Jesus’ work is insufficient.

What therefore does the Catholic Church mean by the title Mediatrix?
The first point to clarify is in what way is Jesus a Mediator?

1Tim 2:5 says For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man ChristJesus.
Therefore:
a) Jesus reconciles us to the Father (Rom 5:10, 2Cor 5:18-19).
b) Jesus is the mediator of the New Covenant (Heb 9:15, 12:24).

Regarding Mary’s mediation we must note two things:
1. Intercede and mediate are synonyms. We are all called to intercede for each other. Just prior to the quote from 1Tim 2:15, Paul writes (verses 1-4)

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all men, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life, godly and respectful in every way. This is good, and it is acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour..

Paul promises to pray for others (e.g. Col 1:3) and in his turn asks others to pray for him (e.g. Col 4:3). This is all a form of mediation.

2. We believe that Mary is our mother, given to us at the cross. Lumen Gentium says:
She conceived, brought forth and nourished Christ. She presented Him to the Father in the temple, and was united with Him by compassion as He died on the Cross. In this singular way she cooperated by her obedience, faith, hope and burning charity in the work of the Saviour in giving back supernatural life to souls. Wherefore she is our mother in the order of grace. (para 61)

And continues
This maternity of Mary in the order of grace began with the consent which she gave in faith at the Annunciation and which she sustained without wavering beneath the cross, and lasts until the eternal fulfilment of all the elect. Taken up to heaven she did not lay aside this salvific duty, but by her constant intercession continued to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation. (para 62, my emboldening)

Mary does not mediate us to the Father as Jesus does as Covenant Mediator but intercedes for us as we do for each other.

One more quote from Lumen Gentium (actually a continuation of my first quote):
The maternal duty of Mary toward men in no wise obscures or diminishes this unique mediation of Christ, but rather shows His power. ….... In no way does it impede, but rather does it foster the immediate union of the faithful with Christ.

I disagree.
and ? you can not back your praying to mary in scripture . if you look a t the model prayer . it starts out our father who art in heaven . not our mother no place in scripture is there a word pray to mary ,,this is a doctrine of man

and ? you can not back your praying to mary in scripture . if you look a t the model prayer . it starts out our father who art in heaven . not our mother no place in scripture is there a word pray to mary ,,this is a doctrine of man

she does not nor can she intercede for any one. she is powerless for us to pray to

really ? more false teaching as that is not found in scripture

Read post #1 & post #28

Mother of God (a correct title)

Mary is not the Mother of God.

God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”
John 4:24

Mary gave birth to the flesh and blood, the body of Jesus Christ.

JLB

Here are the two things about Mary being Mediatrix.

1. It’s not from scripture.

2. It’s not from God.

JLB

Read post #1 & post #28
i have and i still stand by my post. no place in the Bible does it even say we are to mention mary in prayers. once again she was a young virgin blessed chosen by God to bring the Christ seed in, apostle paul called it the fullness of time 4 But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born[a] of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. i don't like to argue church doctrine. but i have to stand in full DISAGREEMENT WITH THE CATHOLIC DOCTRINE ON THIS . it simply does not line up with scriptures ..none not at all much like the teaching of purgatory

Mary as Mediatrix
The Second Vatican Council in it's document Lumen Gentium (Dogmatic Constitution on The Church)starts in para 60 starts There is but one Mediator as we know from the words of the apostle, "for there is one God and one mediator of God and men, the man Christ Jesus, who gave himself a redemption for all".(298)”
(298) is a reference to footnote 256 - 1Tim2:5-6.

The Catholic Church does not teach against this scripture but supports it. Other references to Jesus being the one Mediator can be found in the following paragraphs:
8 (one Mediator)
14 (one Mediator)
28 (sole mediator)
41 (unique Mediator)
49 (one Mediator)
56 (one and only Mediator)
62 (one Mediator)
The Church is quote clear that there is only one Mediator – and that is not Mary.

The same document in referring to Mary as Mediatrix states (para 62): This, however, is to be so understood that it neither takes away from nor adds anything to the dignity and efficaciousness of Christ the one Mediator.
Therefore in the way that the Church understands the term it does not imply that Jesus’ work is insufficient.

What therefore does the Catholic Church mean by the title Mediatrix?
The first point to clarify is in what way is Jesus a Mediator?

1Tim 2:5 says For there is one God, and there is one mediator between God and men, the man ChristJesus.
Therefore:
a) Jesus reconciles us to the Father (Rom 5:10, 2Cor 5:18-19).
b) Jesus is the mediator of the New Covenant (Heb 9:15, 12:24).

1. Intercede and mediate are synonyms. We are all called to intercede for each other. Just prior to the quote from 1Tim 2:15, Paul writes (verses 1-4)

First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all men, for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life, godly and respectful in every way. This is good, and it is acceptable in the sight of God our Saviour..

Paul promises to pray for others (e.g. Col 1:3) and in his turn asks others to pray for him (e.g. Col 4:3). This is all a form of mediation.

2. We believe that Mary is our mother, given to us at the cross. Lumen Gentium says:
She conceived, brought forth and nourished Christ. She presented Him to the Father in the temple, and was united with Him by compassion as He died on the Cross. In this singular way she cooperated by her obedience, faith, hope and burning charity in the work of the Saviour in giving back supernatural life to souls. Wherefore she is our mother in the order of grace. (para 61)

And continues
This maternity of Mary in the order of grace began with the consent which she gave in faith at the Annunciation and which she sustained without wavering beneath the cross, and lasts until the eternal fulfilment of all the elect. Taken up to heaven she did not lay aside this salvific duty, but by her constant intercession continued to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation. (para 62, my emboldening)

Mary does not mediate us to the Father as Jesus does as Covenant Mediator but intercedes for us as we do for each other.

One more quote from Lumen Gentium (actually a continuation of my first quote):
The maternal duty of Mary toward men in no wise obscures or diminishes this unique mediation of Christ, but rather shows His power. ….... In no way does it impede, but rather does it foster the immediate union of the faithful with Christ.

Brother we love Catholic people. We however are aware that some Catholic teachings are not aligned with scripture.

Just because we don’t agree with your teachings doesn’t mean we don’t love you.

JLB

Mary is not the Mother of God.

God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth.”
John 4:24

Mary gave birth to the flesh and blood, the body of Jesus Christ.

JLB

Mary is the mother Jesus
Jesus is God
Therefore Mary if the mother of God

Brother we love Catholic people. We however are aware that some Catholic teachings are not aligned with scripture.

Just because we don’t agree with your teachings doesn’t mean we don’t love you.

JLB
No Catholic doctrine (properly understood) contradicts scripture (properly interpreted).

i have and i still stand by my post. no place in the Bible does it even say we are to mention mary in prayers.

The Bible doesn't say we are to drive cars, post on internet forums, whistle while we work etc., etc.
Just because the Bible doesn't explicitly address a particular action doesn't mean to say it is wrong to do it.

once again she was a young virgin blessed chosen by God to bring the Christ seed in, apostle paul called it the fullness of time 4 But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born[a] of a woman, born under the law, 5 to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. i don't like to argue church doctrine. but i have to stand in full DISAGREEMENT WITH THE CATHOLIC DOCTRINE ON THIS . it simply does not line up with scriptures

Where does it contradict scripture?

..none not at all much like the teaching of purgatory
Please keep to the topic.

Back