Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Preferred Bible that you use?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$905.00
Goal
$1,038.00
I have an app that I can use to compare bible translations and such. But usually I use either the King James or New King James Version.

Eric, I would encourage you to use more than one translation.

I prefer the ESV, but also have an NIV (1984). At times I like to go to Bible Gateway to compare other versions. The Sunday school program I lead uses the CEV.

I use a few translations, but my go-to translation is definitely NKJV. I have a Nelson NKJV Study Bible. It's kind of my Cadillac Bible :)

Dan

I use the "Pizzaguy" edition - it has only the verses that make me feel comfy and secure, none of those that challenge me or "judge people". This also means that I can read my bible cover-to-cover in two evenings - cause it's only 40 pages long! :lol

". . . it has only the verses that make me feel comfy and secure . . . none of those that challenge me . . . or "judge people" . . ."

HAHA!

How is it I hear so much in such a short statement?! No wasting of words here. HAHAHA!

Right-on.

Be blessed, Stay blessed, and be Bold!

I'm a New King James Version type of guy.

You know, traditional with a modern twist! HAHA

Be blessed, Stay blessed, and be Bold!

KJV is my main "squeeze".

I've been reading it for over 60 years - learned to read in it, in fact back in the late '40s. I know most of the "Work arounds" for the areas of lousy translation, and archaic language, and since I "Think" in KJV, it's easy to find stuff in Concordances, since I know what to look for.

My other versions are the NWT, the Amplified, and the original Living version. I like the "Message", but haven't really spent much time in it.

Re: KJV is my main "squeeze".

Preferred for me are ESV, NIV and NKJV, but also reference many others.

My other versions are the NWT
For the right reasons, I hope. :chin I have one but only use it as a reference for how not to translate the Bible in discussions with JWs.

Re: KJV is my main "squeeze".

"how not to translate the Bible"

I've found the NWT (1970 version) to be in most cases an EXCELLENT translation and particularly good in the renderings of verb forms in the New Testament. I've checked it repeatedly, and find that it jives with my Greek-English interlinear perfectly.

Like any Bible including the KJV, you have to know the "Work-arounds" for the errors and difficult language. I think the NWT gets more of a "Bad Rap" than it deserves because of it's denominational affiliation.

Like, Bob, I think in KJV, but I do enjoy comparing. KJV and ESV are at the tip for me. I like the NKJV for my children.

Eric, I would encourage you to use more than one translation.

I prefer the ESV, but also have an NIV (1984). At times I like to go to Bible Gateway to compare other versions. The Sunday school program I lead uses the CEV.
I'm a NIV forever type of person, I only read the KJV in church because my church is KJV only and so is a lot of people. Unfortunately as my pastor has put it a lot of the members of our church are ignorant of the NIV and automatically label it as a demon possessed Satan made bible.

I'm a NIV forever type of person, I only read the KJV in church because my church is KJV only and so is a lot of people. Unfortunately as my pastor has put it a lot of the members of our church are ignorant of the NIV and automatically label it as a demon possessed Satan made bible.

I was NIV forever until about a year ago. But I prefer more literal word-for-word translations now, so I prefer the ESV or NASB

I personally use the NIV only when studying the Bible. What are you guy's Bibles?
I don't believe in dynamic equivalence as a valid method of translation (because they require too much interpretation on the part of the translators), but, that said, I think that if you're going to use a dynamic equivalence translation then it should only be for devotional reading. For studying the Bible, only formal equivalence translations should be used. While the New American Standard Bible is still the most literal of the English translations (though I prefer the NASB before the 1995 update), the English is somewhat choppy, making it a bit difficult to read. I use the English Standard Version (which is on the same reading level as the NIV), though I do refer to other formal equivalence translations (in English and Spanish) for comparison.

Young's Literal Translation
New Living Translation
New American Standard Bible 1995
Amplified Bible

Back