Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Pregnant woman fired for not marrying fiance

And that's exactly why I think the legal part of marriage is a good idea. But it's not a question of how honest or dishonest the people are. That's between them and God and for God to judge. A good idea and a command of God are not always the same thing. That's why I asked where God commanded that we have a legally recognized secular document issued by a secular government before He will consider us as married. So far I see no scripture stating that, so I think I'll assume that probably no one is going to find one if they haven't found it by now.
I think it's just another ploy by the government to stick their noses into something God already set up.

And that's exactly why I think the legal part of marriage is a good idea. But it's not a question of how honest or dishonest the people are. That's between them and God and for God to judge. A good idea and a command of God are not always the same thing. That's why I asked where God commanded that we have a legally recognized secular document issued by a secular government before He will consider us as married. So far I see no scripture stating that, so I think I'll assume that probably no one is going to find one if they haven't found it by now.
You're not getting it. God spelled out the legal obligation you must take on in order to take a spouse. A marriage license is simply the piece of paper that records that obligation. Without it you have not legally taken on that obligation.

You're not getting it. God spelled out the legal obligation you must take on in order to take a spouse. A marriage license is simply the piece of paper that records that obligation. Without it you have not legally taken on that obligation.
That is the way I look at it Jethro.

I think it's just another ploy by the government to stick their noses into something God already set up.
so why buy a home when land ownership isn't done the way we do in America in the bible? do I need a title deed with a record by the goverement for a fee to own land? abram didn't have that either. nor did isreal in wording. its found to be via archeology, some things are so well known to the writers and audience that they didn't have to mention it.

Wrong! The license ensures you will be responsible to the spouse you are separating from. Ask any person who has gone through a divorce if their marriage license meant nothing when it came time to sort out financial responsibilities with their spouse.
My marriage license meant nothing when my wife divorced me and it was time to sort out the financial responsibilities. Both the state we were married in and the state she divorced me in would have considered us married and all the same rules would have applied whether or not we had gotten a legal marriage with a license.

no. but you should still get one.... it is sorta like college... go to school for 4 years .. you have the education .. you dont need that diploma
I suppose it might be similar, but the diploma is all secular, where a marriage should not be.

see the ideas oral writings called the Mishnah which is what the Talmud is an addition to and the sandhedrin uses to base judgment of off. in it its there. that whole ceremony of marriage isn't in the bible, its in the Mishnah!
I'm afraid I have to admit ignorance to a lot of the Jewish terms and traditions. You lost me in this. :shrug

My marriage license meant nothing when my wife divorced me and it was time to sort out the financial responsibilities. Both the state we were married in and the state she divorced me in would have considered us married and all the same rules would have applied whether or not we had gotten a legal marriage with a license.
which undermines any reason for some to bother getting any license. I don't need to get married to place any lover on my life insurance, car insurance,. purchase a home. and even some health insurance and I cant put them in trusts. society is making it easy not to get married to have the same benefits.

Yet as many times as I've asked where this is, you still have not given a chapter and verse reference where God says this is how we must do it...

Can't you see, then, how much more a license DOES obligate you to the responsibilities of marriage--the obligation you are sure not getting married, but only getting married in heart and mind has? To not get married would be counter to the insistence that not getting married is just like getting married. You follow?

Some husbands what a Prenuptial agreement.They do not want their wife taking everything they have.That is why some men do not like the marriage license.

Yet as many times as I've asked where this is, you still have not given a chapter and verse reference where God says this is how we must do it...
I expressly said God does not specify the how, just the what. Among God's people, the OT law was the 'license' for getting married. It spelled out what you must DO to get married.

Back