Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Pregnant woman fired for not marrying fiance

I'm afraid I have to admit ignorance to a lot of the Jewish terms and traditions. You lost me in this. :shrug
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mishnah
im sure its in the halaka. the modern jews have councils that decide this and aren't governmental but some it can be legal in that manner its calle beth din. its also where one goes to get a divorce. that is based on deutermony 24. a writ of divorce. why would I don't proclaim my marriage to others that is what a license does. need that?

Can't you see, then, how much more a license DOES obligate you to the responsibilities of marriage--the obligation you are sure not getting married, but only getting married in heart and mind has? To not get married would be counter to the insistence that not getting married is just like getting married. You follow?
No, I don't follow. I'm afraid you've lost me in this riddle.

Last edited:
Where does God say that it has to be legal through a government agency?
isreal was a theocracy. what is a that? the sandhedrin were the ones whom granted divorces later on. early on it was a writ of divorce. now I must go read up on what the chassidics teach on that. that will be in the Talmud on how they did that. I could be wrong but they had to implement what moses said and he didn't give much. just get a writ of divorce and not where to get it from and whom would give it.

Marriage is a holy union before God, two people as one, and one with God. Does it really take a license to prove this?
I see what you're saying and I'm partially supportive of the idea of keeping the government out of marriage. (Not entirely sure, as there are a few rights granted with that, though the specifics don't come to mind at the moment.) That said, I would consider living together without a marriage license to be guilty of the appearance of evil, if nothing else.

I see what you're saying and I'm partially supportive of the idea of keeping the government out of marriage. (Not entirely sure, as there are a few rights granted with that, though the specifics don't come to mind at the moment.) That said, I would consider living together without a marriage license to be guilty of the appearance of evil, if nothing else.
Did you mean to say that you wouldn't live together or would live together?

If a license-less marriage has supposedly the same legal obligation attached to it as a licensed marriage does (as license-less married people want to insist), then how much more a licensed marriage surely does!
ironic, when gay marriage and civil unions were first on the scene this very discussion was something I would tell others that we will have commitless civil unions and marriages even more so. I joke now that we will have non committal live in couples so that they wont have to share things or loose them if it doesn't work out. party a wont live with party b but just come by for a date and sex. don't want to loose that car, home. etc. yup im wondering when they will be.

jesse is talking about polygamy not adultery

Commitment and copulation.

Then they got another wife....and this is a joke, of course.
Committed to copulating? That's still fornication.

You see your idea of marriage makes no recognizable distinction between simply fornicating and being married. The Bible does make that distinction. Paul talks about 'those who know the law' in regard to marriage. It went without saying that marriage was a legally recognized institution, not just a commitment to copulate with someone on a regular basis.

Neither, really. I just said that I do entertain the idea of the government leaving marriage alone and letting churches and religious institutions handle it. Some believe that government has no business with marriage anymore than government has with most things.

The way this government has devalued marriage ..makes me wish some how a real church could form a " legal' marriage... that isnot sounding like it did in my head

Committed to copulating? That's still fornication.

You see your idea of marriage makes no recognizable distinction between simply fornicating and being married. The Bible does make that distinction. Paul talks about 'those who know the law' in regard to marriage. It went without saying that marriage was a legally recognized institution, not just a commitment to copulate with someone on a regular basis.
in pauls day there was legal recongnition of marries by the state. roman law does do that. I have to find that in the roman law links I have read.

Back