Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Question about Bible Version....

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00

Louis J

Hello, and thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

I am currently reading the New International Version in conjunction with the King James Version of the Bible. The reason why I like the New Internation Version is because it puts the verses in a more modern English. The reason I dislike the New Internation Version is because it changes "....man" and "brothers" to things like "someone" and "brothers and sisters". I'd prefer a translation that modernized the text, without making it more "pc". Does anyone know a version that, while modernizing the text, remains more true to the verses?

Inversion Theology! Has anyone heard about it? It's Satan's word play, making all topsy turvy! It is his idealogy against commonsense which changes the original meaning of words. For instance: Liberal comes from the word -Liberate, intelligent people-We Christians 🤩, know there is nothing liberating about the people calling their stance "Liberal". So WIP, don't break your momma's back or your own for that matter. Samantics man, samantics. And remeber always provide air quotes 💨" " when speaking of the "Woke" "Liberal" agenda. It is snowflake Inversion Theology that can only survive in the Cold-lack of faith. When people like myself bring the heat they have a melt down!😱

True. One thing that we seem to forget is that in the last half century or so, gender use in language has been drastically changed. In almost all languages before the mid 1900s, if you had a group that consisted of 10,000 women and one man, they were collectively referred to in the masculine.
Well, it was understood even 40 years ago that humans are also man. Mankind is not masculine but human beings. When the Bible or anyone said, stand up like a man, they did not mean behave like a male. It means act like a grown up. It is only recently that we no longer are taught that we are all men and meaningful words are lost to us. Stand up like a women does not work so the expression is lost. I am not male, but I am a man when it comes to wander about the zoo and figuring out to which living group of mammals do I belong.

Well, it was understood even 40 years ago that humans are also man. Mankind is not masculine but human beings. When the Bible or anyone said, stand up like a man, they did not mean behave like a male. It means act like a grown up. It is only recently that we no longer are taught that we are all men and meaningful words are lost to us. Stand up like a women does not work so the expression is lost. I am not male, but I am a man when it comes to wander about the zoo and figuring out to which living group of mammals do I belong.
Actually, when Paul says "Act like men, be strong", he is telling people to behave like the male sex (or to behave as Paul imagines the male sex to behave).

How do you know this, but I was not using the Bible reference. That is a common expression in English. "Stand up and act like a man" means "behave like a grown up."
Paul did not say to stand up. He said to be watchful, firm, and strong -all things traditionally associated with the male sex

Paul did not say to stand up. He said to be watchful, firm, and strong -all things traditionally associated with the male sex
Generally speaking, using the expression "stand up like a man" does not mean "get up from sitting or laying down." And women are watchful, firm and strong in a different way and I do not see that he was meaning males. That makes no sense since women served with him and were a part of his ministry. He would not mean that. He even referred to the grandmother and mother of Timothy in glowing terms, reflecting he thought well of women to include that they are watchful, firm and strong. I think your prejudice is showing there for a bit.

KJV has been proven to be the most accurate translation, but the NKJV is easier to read and the next best thing.
Actually the NASB is considered more accurate. But some complain it is difficult to read.
1654778171450.png
I think this is an older graphic as it leaves off the TLV - Tree of Life Version. It is right next to the NASB.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, using the expression "stand up like a man" does not mean "get up from sitting or laying down." And women are watchful, firm and strong in a different way and I do not see that he was meaning males. That makes no sense since women served with him and were a part of his ministry. He would not mean that. He even referred to the grandmother and mother of Timothy in glowing terms, reflecting he thought well of women to include that they are watchful, firm and strong. I think your prejudice is showing there for a bit.
Yes, Paul was wanting women to act like men. Do I approve of this prejudiced language? Of course not. But I'm not the one who holds to the truth of the Bible, so Paul's words pose no problem for me.
Actually the NASB is considered more accurate. But some complain it is difficult to read.
View attachment 14293
I think this is an older graphic as it leaves off the TLV - Tree of Life Version. It is right next to the NASB.
Edward The KJV is inaccurate in several places such as its translation of "day star" as "Lucifer", which is an intentionally inaccurate translation that is fixed by virtually all modern translations (except the NKJV). But more seriously, the New Testament translation relies on a "Majority Text" or "Authorized Version", which the vast majority of scholars (Christian or otherwise), is highly inaccurate and does not come near to representing the original text.

The KJV is inaccurate in several places such as its translation of "day star" as "Lucifer", which is an intentionally inaccurate translation that is fixed by virtually all modern translations (except the NKJV). But more seriously, the New Testament translation relies on a "Majority Text" or "Authorized Version", which the vast majority of scholars (Christian or otherwise), is highly inaccurate and does not come near to representing the original text

I didn't say it was a perfect translation. I siad it's the best one imo.

Besides, unbeknownst to you, we Christians have the unseen Holy Spirit come and teach us all of the absolute truths of the Kingdom of God, so as long as we approach it correctly by reading it prayerfully from our spirit...the powerful and unseen Holy Spirit speaks to us. So it really doesn't matter, this version, that version. Get any version and read it from the spirit, and you can find God.

But you don't understand that because you don't believe in the spiritual realm at all. Right? But I caution you, you are living an extreemly limited life by not believing that the spiritual realm exists.

View attachment 14293

Is it? I was weaned on a KJV so I kind of like the language used in it.

I should tell the story (Testimony) of, my NIV Bible that a friend bought me as a present so we could bible study on the phone with the same version...supernaturally changed into a NKJV Bible right in front of me! There is three witnesses to this event. Myself, I know he bought me a NIV Bible, there was my friend who picked it out and made sure it was an NIV like his, and there is another friend of mine who when he saw my new NIV bibe, he told me all about how it has many many missing verses in it which we had a bible study on one day because he wated to show me some so we compared the NIV with my KJV and he was right.

Then one day it was magically a NKJV Bible! I kid you not! I can't convince myself I went insane because, I re-verified with my friends, hey, what version is my bible? ...NIV Ed...
Not any more! (Tilt)

So I'm pretty sure in my mind that having my NIV bible changed into a NKJV bible supernaturally...that it now qualifies as, endorsed by the Lord?

I think it does! I still have it, it's right beside me. All of my underlinings and highlighting were still there in place too.

I didn't say it was a perfect translation. I siad it's the best one imo.
And that's false.
So it really doesn't matter, this version, that version. Get any version and read it from the spirit, and you can find God.
Perhaps one can find God in any translation (but what about the NWT, the New World Translation that the Jehovah's Witnesses use?), but that does not mean they are all equal or that it does not matter which one you use.
Is it? I was weaned on a KJV so I kind of like the language used in it.
That's fine but for most people, the KJV is hard to read, and if you're the type to hand out Bibles to try to convert people, I don't recommend the KJV because most people will put it down and disregard it.
So I'm pretty sure in my mind that having my NIV bible changed into a NKJV bible supernaturally...that it now qualifies as, endorsed by the Lord?

I think it does! I still have it, it's right beside me. All of my underlinings and highlighting were still there in place too.
Either you're lying or are seriously delusional.

And that's false.

Perhaps one can find God in any translation (but what about the NWT, the New World Translation that the Jehovah's Witnesses use?), but that does not mean they are all equal or that it does not matter which one you use.

That's fine but for most people, the KJV is hard to read, and if you're the type to hand out Bibles to try to convert people, I don't recommend the KJV because most people will put it down and disregard it.

You say there is no God. And I say you are either lying (Satanist) or delusional.

And that's false.

I knew you'd have something to say. So what? I don't care if you believe me or not.

I find myself using the NLT version sometimes too.

Back