Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Question about Bible Version....

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00

Louis J

Hello, and thank you in advance to anyone who can help.

I am currently reading the New International Version in conjunction with the King James Version of the Bible. The reason why I like the New Internation Version is because it puts the verses in a more modern English. The reason I dislike the New Internation Version is because it changes "....man" and "brothers" to things like "someone" and "brothers and sisters". I'd prefer a translation that modernized the text, without making it more "pc". Does anyone know a version that, while modernizing the text, remains more true to the verses?

we really can't say with any degree of certainty which source is more accurate than the other because we don't have the original MSS's with which to compare.

It's been awhile but I seen a website where you could go and see the manuscripts and scrolls up close and it was very cool except for one thing. I don't know Greek or Hebrew. Or Aramaic.

So any Bible that the Lord has seen fit to have in your presence has to be a good enough version for you to find Him through it. NIV included. For people to engage in a debate about this version is better than that version is always fruitless. And you are right, the NIV talks about the Love and mercy of our Lord so it has to be good.

Does it truly matter what version we use as after it's the Holy Spirit that is suppose to be teaching us. If there is error in the newer versions then we will see them as the Holy Spirit will expose them.

Just my :twocents

Does it truly matter what version we use as after it's the Holy Spirit that is suppose to be teaching us. If there is error in the newer versions then we will see them as the Holy Spirit will expose them.

Just my :twocents

That is my position on it too. You just said it better!

If someone gets saved in church and goes home to dust off the Bible that he has never read before...and it's an NIV?! So what? So trust it 100% and begin climbing the mountain of God! God doesn't miss details so it's no accident that it is the version that He wants for you.

If you have to go buy a Bible, so say a prayer before you go in for God to show you what to buy. Easy enough.

Some manuscripts seem to be more complete than others. That's how it goes with old stuff.

Ok so then you convince me!

That Brother, Dave walked ito my house saying the NIV is "missing" verses and Dave did not say, hey the KJV has extra stuff in it. So what was I supposed to do? Think the opposite of what he was telling me?! Big deal.

Now if you have updated information and heard me make a mistake, then by all means, I like to learn. So show me what you know about, the NIV is not missing anything and the KJV has a bunch of added verses to it...and convince me.

You haven't yet. I think you just like to argue. The onus is upon you here to show your work. (Lol).
Sooooo.....? Correct my mistake Bro so that I can comprehend this new information.
I posted this in another thread earlier this year:

"The KJV for a long time was the most widely used translation in the world; it also served for several centuries as the classic expression of the English language. Indeed, its translators coined phrases that will be forever embedded in our language (“coals of fire,” “the skin of my teeth,” “tongues of fire”). However, for the New Testament, the only Greek text available to the translators of the 1611 edition was based on late manuscripts, which had accumulated the mistakes of over a thousand years of copying. Few of these mistakes — and we must note that there are many of them — make any difference to us doctrinally, but they often do make a difference in the meaning of certain specific texts. Recognizing that the English of the KJV was no longer a living language — and thoroughly dissatisfied with its modern revision (RSV/NRSV) — it was decided by some to “update” the KJV by ridding it of its “archaic” way of speaking. But in so doing, the NKJV revisers eliminated the best feature of the KJV (its marvelous expression of the English language) and kept the worst (its flawed Greek text). This is why for study you should use almost any modern translation other than the KJV or the NKJV." (Fee, Gordon D.; Stuart, Douglas. How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth (pp. 43-44). Zondervan Academic. Kindle Edition.)

You really should do your own proper study and read legitimate scholars who have relevant expertise in the field.

Somebody asked me once how come I don't believe in hare krishna (or something?) because the American Bible is wrong and how would I know it unless I study it blah blah blah?

I don't need to read hare krishna Bibles or Hinduism Bibles or anythig like that because without asking for any, I had a KJV Bible put into my hand as a youngster.
SO it is on God's responsibility to get the right Bible into my hand that will be sufficient to lead me to Him. I have to believe that God put the right Bible into my hand. God can't miss that. I have more faith than that.
The right Bible is a Christian translation, but some are better than others.

It's been awhile but I seen a website where you could go and see the manuscripts and scrolls up close and it was very cool except for one thing. I don't know Greek or Hebrew. Or Aramaic.

So any Bible that the Lord has seen fit to have in your presence has to be a good enough version for you to find Him through it. NIV included. For people to engage in a debate about this version is better than that version is always fruitless. And you are right, the NIV talks about the Love and mercy of our Lord so it has to be good.
Hi Edward

I don't know what manuscripts and scrolls you would be referencing. We have no original manuscripts or scrolls. That is a fact. You can ask any scholar of the Scriptures and he will confirm that. What we have are copies, and many of them date dozens or hundreds of years after the originals were written. The Dead Sea Scrolls are the greatest resource that we have ever found of old covenant writings, but they are not originals. They are copied scrolls made by the scribes of the day in which they were made. Although they are considered to be very, very accurate and that's why we have very, very little disagreement in the old covenant writings.

It's the new covenant writings that we find a lot of disinformation being passed around. All we have are small fragments of pieces of parchment. There aren't any complete books of the new covenant writings to be had anywhere in the world. And again, all of those tiny fragments of pieces, are copies that are claimed to be from some earlier writing that likely wasn't from the original either. That's why there is so much disagreement in what translators decide any particular new covenant writer originally wrote and why the issue of some translations having more or less writings comes about.

Evan Erasmus' effort was to cleanse the errors that had crept into the Latin Vulgate of his day. That's why I believe, that our efforts are much better spent working as Phillip did. When he came upon the man reading the Scriptures he didn't question him as to whether or not he had the 'right' ones, but whether or not he understood what he was reading? Then he explained and opened the man's eyes to the truths that are found in God's word and the man became a believer and was baptized right there on the side of the roadway. So for me, take any reliable translation of the Scriptures and endeavor to help another to understand and believe what is written in them that they too, may be quickly baptized into the faith.

However, having said all of that, I am not in favor of the non-genderizing of the Scriptures that seems such a waste of time trying to appease a wicked and sinful lot that's just looking for a reason not to study and believe them.

God bless,
Ted

That's right, I've heard that before and you reminded me. The dead sea scrolls are a bunch of copies. It makes sense too.

Is was prolly the dead sea scrolls that I looked at online.

I'm not sure why many seem to be worried about it? Maybe you're right and people use that as an excuse not to study? But I'm sure that the Lord God Almighty who created all of the Heavens and the Earth...is able to get a good copy of His word into my hand. The word is truth, the word is life.

The written word is logos.
The spoken word is rhemas.
The Holy Spirit's job is to give us revelation through the spirit about the written word which we are reading. He will lead us into all truth. So what version Bible it is does not matter because the Holy Spirit can work with any version...(but will the believer work with the Holy Spirit?)

Have you ever had a question or prayed about it and wind up flipping the Bible open to the exact page for your answer? I have. It's both spooky and satisfying, lol.

The right Bible is a Christian translation, but some are better than others.

Do you think the average Christian has the academic background to discern better translations?

I use the NIV, ESV (which is not a new translation but an update of the RSV) and sometimes the NET. When I'm writing for everyday Christians, I sometimes use the NLT. All of them are good translations as long as one remembers that some use varying degrees of dynamic equivalence (meaning-for-meaning).

Oz

Do you think the average Christian has the academic background to discern better translations?

I use the NIV, ESV (which is not a new translation but an update of the RSV) and sometimes the NET. When I'm writing for everyday Christians, I sometimes use the NLT. All of them are good translations as long as one remembers that some use varying degrees of dynamic equivalence (meaning-for-meaning).

Oz
An academic background will not give anyone discernment regarding truth or which versions present what the author would have said. It would help to be skeptical of any work done by one man, no input.

Hi Edward
But I'm sure that the Lord God Almighty who created all of the Heavens and the Earth...is able to get a good copy of His word into my hand. The word is truth, the word is life.
Amen! And again I say Amen! Just know and understand that the word is able to do the work for which the Father sent it to us despite small discrepancies here and there. Even the NIV, with the supposed 'left out' verses is fully sufficient to turn the heart of a person from unrighteousness to righteousness. That's why God sent His Scriptures to us through the hands of His people...Israel!

God bless,
Ted

No, but that is why I have suggested they study the matter by reading scholars who can provide insight.

Oz
I don’t mind the NLT at all, but my wife owns it and not me. I mostly use the ESV but also the NIV and sometimes the LEB for formal equivalence.

The new NIV is fine.
No it is not. Way too loose a translation.
The modern versions are more accurate due to the much larger manuscript evidence they are based on.
That is true; but use something like the NASB or the Tree of Life. Both very accurate to the best Greek manuscripts.

Interesting that all the alphabet soup of the various translations being thrown around and very little mention of the New American Standard. NASB. IMO it is by far the best of mainstream versions.

No it is not. Way too loose a translation.
It's fine. It is, of course, a dynamic equivalence and so can often provide a better understanding of what the authors intended. That's just due to the nature of translating from one language to another. Too loose, for me, is something like The Message.

That is true; but use something like the NASB or the Tree of Life. Both very accurate to the best Greek manuscripts.
Some have said the LEB is better than the NASB. Formal equivalence doesn't necessarily mean more accurate. There are always word choices to be made by the translators.

I am currently reading the New International Version in conjunction with the King James Version of the Bible. The reason why I like the New Internation Version is because it puts the verses in a more modern English. The reason I dislike the New Internation Version is because it changes "....man" and "brothers" to things like "someone" and "brothers and sisters". I'd prefer a translation that modernized the text, without making it more "pc". Does anyone know a version that, while modernizing the text, remains more true to the verses?
Why do you have a problem with women's rights? GOD: everything, everywhere, everyone: father, mother, son, daughter, & Spirit - the Holy Cross(5 letters and 5 points).

You ever go on http://biblehub.com ? You can search for a verse and it will give you about 30 different Bible Versions starting with New International Version which is a good one.

New king James or contemporary English version. That's all I would recommend. Or KJV if you are able to understand it. Maybe the ESV

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back