Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Depending upon the Holy Spirit for all you do?

Read through the following study by Tenchi for more on this topic

https://christianforums.net/threads/without-the-holy-spirit-we-can-do-nothing.109419/

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

https://christianforums.net/forums/questions-and-answers/

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Question about Hell

M

Marcusart

Hi everyone. I know this topic has probably been discussed to death, but I'm having a serious problem understanding it. When I listen to Family Radio or hear evangelicals talk, they always stress how much God loves all of us and how he doesn't want any of us to die unsaved, etc... My problem is, I can't understand how God, who is supposed to be perfect love, could allow someone to go to Hell-- I know it is "our" decision to accept/not accept Christ, and I know we can't understand all the ways and mysteries of God, but Hell is a place of torture. Forever. I don't get it... why not just let unsaved people die like animals, you know, like an "unconscious state" or something.. why is torture in fire forever and ever even part of the equation? I can't equate a perfect God of Love with a being that would allow his creations to suffer like that. I mean, we're not just talking death, we're talking *torture*, worse torture and longer torture than anything humankind could ever come up with or even imagine.. Please help me understand why the Creator who loves us would do that to us.. I know Hell is a "separation from God", etc., I get that part of it, but what's with the eternal torture aspect? That doesn't sound to me like something a loving Creator would even think of doing, and since God created everything, then he certainly created Hell.. it isn't just a separation, a "going somewhere God is not", because He had to have created that place called Hell... I don't know, it's just really confusing to me to hear people talking about how much He loves us and then in the next sentence, "Oh, by the way, if you don't accept Jesus as Savior, you're going to be in complete, unimaginable agony forever. Also, this aspect of Christianity turns so many people away, because to many people it doesn't sound like free choice, it sounds like God is saying, "You'd better do what I say and accept my Son as your Savior, or you will be tortured forever. That doesn't exactly sound like there's much "choice", it sounds more like forcing people to Love God, and forced love is not true love, is it? Because there's always that "Hell" factor hanging above our heads.

You'd better do it this way, or you will *suffer forever in a lake of fire*.

Please help me understand.

Thanks,

Mark

Oh, also, I believe that Jesus is the Son of God and that he died on the Cross, bearing our sins, etc., I just haven't been able to cross that line in my life yet where I can actually "give" myself to Christ and feel confident and truthful calling myself "Christian". I'd like to be able to do that.

Macusart, thank you for your post. Nobody can help you or anyone else to understand how a loving God who wants the best for everyone could send over 99% of people who ever lived to a place of eternal torment, including those who have never heard the gospel, some of whom have never even heard of Jesus Christ. No one can understand such a contradiction in terms. God is like a loving father. A loving father may punish his child to correct him, but would he shut him up in a cell and torture him for six months? God has to be at least as loving as any earthly father. So how could God torture the vast majority of mankind eternally? --- an act which can serve no positive purpose.

Please realize that the "eternal torment" view, is only one of three understandings of the scriptures concerning hell. There are two other views, and those who promote each of these other views can quote many scriptures which seem to support what they believe. These other two views are:

1. Annihilation of the wicked

In this view, the wicked die and do not become conscious until their resurrection. At that time, they are raised to life and given a second chance. If they refuse it, they are totally destoyed or annihilated, never to live again.

2. Reconciliation of all people to God

In this view, all of God's judgments are remedial. Those who will not submit to Christ, or who have no opportunity to submit, will be sent to hell where they will be corrected according to their heart. The rebellious will need more severe correction than those who did not have any genuine opportunity to submit to Christ in this life. But eventually all, of their own free will, will submit to the Lordship of Christ and be reconciled to God. Thus Christ is "the Saviour of all people, especially of those who entrust themselves to Him" I Timothy 4:10

By the way, the apostle Paul who spent his life bringing the gospel to people, and warning people about sin and its consequences, never in any of his 12 letters in the New Testament mentioned the word "hell" even once! If hell is a place of eternal torment for most people, one would think that Paul, of all people, who risked his life for the sake of others, would have warned them about this horrible place of torment where most people supposedly spend eternity.

Marcusart said:
Hi everyone. I know this topic has probably been discussed to death, but I'm having a serious problem understanding it. When I listen to Family Radio or hear evangelicals talk, they always stress how much God loves all of us and how he doesn't want any of us to die unsaved, etc... My problem is, I can't understand how God, who is supposed to be perfect love, could allow someone to go to Hell-- I know it is "our" decision to accept/not accept Christ, and I know we can't understand all the ways and mysteries of God, but Hell is a place of torture. Forever. I don't get it... why not just let unsaved people die like animals, you know, like an "unconscious state" or something.. why is torture in fire forever and ever even part of the equation? I can't equate a perfect God of Love with a being that would allow his creations to suffer like that. I mean, we're not just talking death, we're talking *torture*, worse torture and longer torture than anything humankind could ever come up with or even imagine.. Please help me understand why the Creator who loves us would do that to us.. I know Hell is a "separation from God", etc., I get that part of it, but what's with the eternal torture aspect? That doesn't sound to me like something a loving Creator would even think of doing, and since God created everything, then he certainly created Hell.. it isn't just a separation, a "going somewhere God is not", because He had to have created that place called Hell... I don't know, it's just really confusing to me to hear people talking about how much He loves us and then in the next sentence, "Oh, by the way, if you don't accept Jesus as Savior, you're going to be in complete, unimaginable agony forever. Also, this aspect of Christianity turns so many people away, because to many people it doesn't sound like free choice, it sounds like God is saying, "You'd better do what I say and accept my Son as your Savior, or you will be tortured forever. That doesn't exactly sound like there's much "choice", it sounds more like forcing people to Love God, and forced love is not true love, is it? Because there's always that "Hell" factor hanging above our heads.

Thanks,

Mark

Oh, also, I believe that Jesus is the Son of God and that he died on the Cross, bearing our sins, etc., I just haven't been able to cross that line in my life yet where I can actually "give" myself to Christ and feel confident and truthful calling myself "Christian". I'd like to be able to do that.
Lets ask a series of questions on the attributes of God and the severity of hell. First off hell wasn't created for us. It was created for his rebellious angles. What does separation mean to our senses. Being separate from God, well is being separate from what we know to be Good.The fruits of the spirit love , joy, peace, happiness and to have light shine upon us with his company of what you know to be holy ,righteous,therefore; goodness, patience ,kindness, faithfulness,gentleness and self control. Lets look at the spectrum of Hell. Do you think God having Grace, mercy and justice. Looking at Hitler knowing him by his fruit that he will see more than separation from a just God. As where a moral man , a good man just doesn't want to do it God's way or in relationship with him. I say that there is range of diversity in Hell to which reflects to how you lived and to show how you can be received in Hell. Being seperate from everything you know to be Good is Hell. Don't you think? and God is Good all the time.

Paidion and allhart, thank you both so very much for your enlightening responses. They really mean a lot to me and I mean that. I've been so depressed and down lately, being unemployed for the first time in my 40 years of life, about to be kicked out of my apartment and having no money to pay my bills; it's been so hard for me. I'm about to give up and you two have been little rays of light in my life (I know that sounds corny, but yeah, that's how bad its been for me lately..) I don't know what I'm going to do, if I'll be living on the streets in two weeks or not, but for now I still have internet access and thank God people like you are around to share your wisdom with a "wannabe Christian newbie" like myself. I hope you both are healthy and happy and that everything works out for you in your lives, and I hope and pray that the Holy Spirit will guide me to become a "real" Christian, wherever I may end up. Money isn't everything, and that's been my real issue lately and is what has caused me to contemplate this stuff so seriously these days, and to join this forum in the first place, while I still could.

Thank you.

Marcusart said:
Paidion and allhart, thank you both so very much for your enlightening responses. They really mean a lot to me and I mean that. I've been so depressed and down lately, being unemployed for the first time in my 40 years of life, about to be kicked out of my apartment and having no money to pay my bills; it's been so hard for me. I'm about to give up and you two have been little rays of light in my life (I know that sounds corny, but yeah, that's how bad its been for me lately..) I don't know what I'm going to do, if I'll be living on the streets in two weeks or not, but for now I still have internet access and thank God people like you are around to share your wisdom with a "wannabe Christian newbie" like myself. I hope you both are healthy and happy and that everything works out for you in your lives, and I hope and pray that the Holy Spirit will guide me to become a "real" Christian, wherever I may end up. Money isn't everything, and that's been my real issue lately and is what has caused me to contemplate this stuff so seriously these days, and to join this forum in the first place, while I still could.

Thank you.
Do you Know the difference between happiness and Joy. Happiness come with circumstance that arise ( like finding 50 dollar bill on the ground) Joy is constant no matter the occasion. To know God is to be Blessed that's Joy. For everything bad or good without God is vain. You know God allows thing to happen to us to get our attention. For you didn't awake one day and say, I will look for God. No! He pursued you. He knocks at your door my friend. If he wants you he will pursue you until the ends of the earth with many promises you can't ignore. You where created by him for him. If you believe in him who gives you life watch and trust in amazement in what he will do for you and ooh what he has in store for you. Most people are afraid ,but God can't put anything in your hand if you don't open them. People think that he will take what they have out and not put what he has already given you.

Look at a drowning victim he fights to survive ,but as the life guard goes to rescue him he still fights and can drown the life guard. When all he has to do is surrender and receive the gift of life forever. (grace)
I am laid off as well and my wife isn't working either and my house payment is three months behind. I Do the best I can do. I trust God and in the fact that he has my back.He is God. Where else am I going to go and do. No one can snatch me for his hand not even death. Read a book by Rick Warren ( Purpose Driven Life) A great start and if you want to talk more on this or to say you would like to give you life to him email me and I will call you on the Phone. allenhart71@gmail.com

You have asked a very good question. Many people have been in the same situation as you and most of them became atheists because they see how a loving God could torture is children eternally. The punishment of sin is eternal death by burning and death is an unconscious state just like animals. To understand it we are going to look at two things; the state of the dead and the punishment of the wicked.

State Of The Dead
This is the first lie on earth. God said: "of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die." Gen 2:17. But the serpent [satan] came and said: "Ye shall not surely die" Gen 3:4

This lie has been around for 6000 years. This how it goes into the world today.
"You have an immortal soul, the body is the one that dies. When you die, your soul goes to heaven or hell or purgatory." So today they say you have an immortal soul. But the bible says only God is immortal, as you see in 1 Timothy 6:16
1 Timothy 6:15,16
Which in his times he shall shew, who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords; Who only hath immortality.
So this means that men is mortal and he is given conditional immortality. You see this in the most quoted verse in the bible.
John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish [apollumi], but have everlasting life.
apollumi ap-ol'-loo-mee :- to destroy fully (reflexively, to perish, or lose)
According to this text if you believe in Christ you get everlasting life, if you don't you perish. No everlasting punishment here.

What happen when you die?
Ecclesiastes 12:7
Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit [breath of life] shall return unto God who gave it.
The body turns to dust again, and the spirit goes back to God, who gave it. The spirit of every person who dies (whether righteous or wicked) returns to God at death.

What is the "spirit" that returns to God at death?
James 2:26
The body without the spirit is dead.
Job 27:3
the spirit [ruwach] of God is in my nostrils.
7307 ruwach roo'-akh :- wind; by resemblance breath
In Job you can see that the spirit is the breath which God gave him.

What is a soul?
Genesis 2:7
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Here you can see that a soul is a living being. A soul is always a combination of two things: body plus breath. A soul cannot exist unless the body and breath are combined. God's Word teaches that we are souls.

Do souls die?
Ezekiel 18:20
The soul that sinneth, it shall die.

Do good people go to heaven when they die?
John 5:28,29
all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth.
Acts 2:29,34
David ... is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.
v34: For David is not ascended into the heavens.
Job 17:13
If I wait, the grave is mine house.
People do not go either to heaven and hell at death. They go to their graves to await the resurrection day.

How much does one know or comprehend after death? / Aren't they ware of what the living are doing?
Ecclesiastes 9:5,6,10
For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun. ... there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.
Job 14:12,21
So man lieth down, and riseth not: till the heavens be no more, they shall not awake, nor be raised out of their sleep. ... His sons come to honour, and he knoweth it not; and they are brought low, but he perceiveth it not of them.
Psalms 115:17
The dead praise not the LORD.
God says that the dead know absolutely nothing! They are dead. Their thoughts have perished (Psalm 146:4).

The Punishment Of The Wicked
What is the end result of sin?
Romans 6:23
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.
James 1:15
sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death.
John 3:16
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.
The wages (or punishment) for sin is death, not everlasting life in hellfire. The wicked "perish," or receive death "death." The righteous receive "everlasting life."

Ok, now lets look at hell
The word "hell" is used 54 times in the bible, and in only 12 cases does it refer to "a place of burning." The word "hell" is translated from several different words with various meanings, as indicated below:
IN THE OLD TESTAMENT
31 times from "Sheol," which means "the grave"
IN THE NEW TESTAMENT
10 times from "Hades," which means "the grave"
12 times from "Gehenna," which means "the place of burning."
1 time from "Tartarus," which means "a place of darkness."

How many lost souls are being punished in hell today?
2 Peter 2:9
The Lord knoweth how to deliver the godly out of temptations, and to reserve the unjust unto the day of judgment to be punished.
There is not one single soul in hellfire today. The Bible says that God reserves, or holds back, the wicked until the day of judgement to be punished.

When will sinners be cast into hellfire?
Matthew 13:40-42
As therefore the tares are gathered and burned in the fire; so shall it be in the end of this world. The Son of man shall send forth his angels, and they shall gather out of his kingdom all things that offend, and them which do iniquity; And shall cast them into a furnace of fire.
John 12:48
the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
Sinners will be cast into hellfire at the great judgment day at the end of the world, not when they die.

Where are sinners (who have died) now?
John 5:28,29
the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice, And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.
Job 21:30,32
The wicked is reserved to the day of destruction. ... Yet shall he be brought to the grave, and shall remain in the tomb.
The Bible is specific. Both the wicked and the righteous who have died are in their graves "sleeping" until the resurrection day.

What will happen to the wicked in hellfire?
Revelation 21:8
But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
Matthew 10:28
fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
The wicked die the second death in hellfire. If the wicked lived forever being tortured in hell, they would be immortal. But this is impossible, because the Bible says God "only hath immortality." 1 Timothy 6:16

How long will the wicked suffer in the fire?
And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. Revelation 22:12. And then he shall reward every man according to his works. Matthew 16:27. That servant, which knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes. But he that knew not, and did commit things worthy of stripes, shall be beaten with few stripes. Luke 12:47,48
The Bible does not tell how long the wicked will be punished before receiving death in the fire. God does specifically state, however, that all will be punished according to their deeds. This means some will receive greater punishment that others, based upon their works.

Will the fire eventually go out?
Isaiah 47:14
Behold, they shall be as stubble; the fire shall burn them; they shall not deliver themselves from the power of the flame: there shall not be a coal to warm at, nor fire to sit before it.
Revelation 21:1,4
And I saw a new heaven and a new earth. ... And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.
The Bible specifically teaches that hellfire will go out and that there will not be left "a coal to warm at, nor fire to sit before it." The Bible also teaches that in God'snew kingdom all "former things" will be passed away. Hell, being one of the former things, is included, so we have God's promise that it will be abolished.

What will be left when the fire goes out?
Malachi 4:1,3
For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch. ... And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the LORD of hosts.
Notice the verse does not say the wicked will burn like asbestos, as many today believe, but rather like stubble, which will be burned up. The little word "up" denotes completion. Nothing but ashes will be left when the fires goes out. In Psalm 37:10,20, the Bible says the wicked will go up in smoke and be completely destroyed.

What is God's real purpose in hellfire?
Matthew 25:41
Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.
Revelation 20:15
And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.
Psalms 37:10,20
For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be. ... The wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the LORD shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away.
Revelation 20:10
And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire.
Ezekiel 28:18,19
and I will bring thee [satan] to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee. ... and never shalt thou be any more.
God's purpose is that hell will destroy the devil and all sin and sinners and make the world safe for eternity. One sinner, if left on this planet, would be a deadly virus forever threatening the universe. It is God's plan to isolate sin and blot it out of existence for all time.

Against God's character
An eternal hell of torment is not part of God's great plan at all. Such a horrible theory is slander against the holy name of a loving God. The devil delights to see our loving Creator pictured as such a monstrous tyrant, and he alone can benefit from such teachings. The Bible even teach that destroying sinners is foreign to God's nature and that it is his strange act.
Ezekiel 33:11
As I live, saith the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked; but that the wicked turn from his way and live: turn ye, turn ye from your evil ways; for why will ye die?
Luke 9:56
For the Son of man is not come to destroy men's lives, but to save them.
Isaiah 28:21
For the LORD shall rise up ... that he may do his work, his strange work; and bring to pass his act, his strange act.
God's heart will ache at the destruction of the wicked. An eternal hell of torment would be hell for God also, who loves even the vilest sinner.

You can see that God is not going torture sinner forever, but there are some verses that can be confused into think that God will punish sinners eternally. I want to discuss them but the post will be to long, so I'm going to give links where those text are discussed.
http://www.amazingdiscoveries.org/the-mystic-realm-of-death.html
http://www.amazingfacts.org/FreeStu...e-A-Twisted-Truth-Untangled/SC/R/Default.aspx
http://www.amazingfacts.org/FreeStu.../7/The-Rich-Man-and-Lazarus/SC/R/Default.aspx
http://www.bibleuniversity.com/Resources/Download/CourseID1/English-10.pdf

The teaching by the churches that there is an "eternal hell" is not taught in the Bible. When the King James Bible was written, the words "hell" did not mean torments. According to the Encarta Dictionary, "Old English hel(l) . Ultimately from an Indo-European word meaning “to conceal".(Microsoft® Encarta® Reference Library 2005.) The English word "hell" has been rendered from the Hebrew word she’ohl´, and two Greek words hai´des and Ge´en·na.

When one looks objectively at the Bible, the meaning of the Hebrew word she’ohl´and both Greek words hai´des and Ge´en·na (English, “Gehennaâ€Â, Matt 5:22; 10:28) that have been translated as "hell" by various Bibles, becomes clarified. To show that God is not one who torments people, he told the nation of Israel that "the children of Judah have done evil in my sight, saith the Lord: they have set their abominations in the house which is called by my name, to pollute it. And they have built the high places of Tophet, which is in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire; which I commanded them not, neither came it into my heart."(Jer 7:30,31, King James Bible)

At Jeremiah 19:5, God again repeats what he had said earlier: "They have built also the high places of Baal, to burn their sons with fire for burnt offerings unto Baal, which I commanded not, nor spake it, neither came it into my mind:"(King James Bible) and at Jeremiah 32:35, whereby God says: "And they built the high places of Baal, which are in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to cause their sons and their daughters to pass through the fire unto Molech; which I commanded them not, neither came it into my mind, that they should do this abomination, to cause Judah to sin."(King James Bible)

If God calls the burning of the Israelites sons and daughters an "abomination", a "sin", then how could he burn people in "hell" and be free of guilt himself ? Otherwise, he would be a hypocrite. This though, is not the case, for it never entered into God's mind to do such wickedness nor will it ever. At Ecclesiates 9:5,6, Solomon wrote that "the living know that they shall die; but the dead know not anything....their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished." Thus, the dead "know not anything", but are now non-existent. Jesus said that "all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out."(John 5:28,29) Those who are in God's memory are awaiting a resurrection or bringing back to life again.

Jesus likens death to sleep, for he told his apostles concerning Lazarus' death, that "Lazarus, our friend has gone to rest, but I am journeying there to awaken him from sleep".(John 11:11)

Hence, what is the Bible "hell" ? Revelation 20:13 says: "And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell (Greek hai´des) delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works."(King James Bible) Thus, due to the mistranslation of the Hebrew word she’ohl´and both Greek words hai´des and Ge´en·na, people have been taught by the churches that God torments "sinners" in "hell".

However, this is not the case and to further show that "hell" is not a place of fiery torments, Jonah, while in the belly of the fish, cried out: "I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the Lord, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice."(Jonah 2:2, King James Bible) Was Jonah in a fiery place of torments ? No. Rather, he was in the belly of a fish that God had appointed to swallow him.

Thus Jonah was merely "concealed" from sight, just as the old English saying of "helling potatoes" meant that these were just buried in the ground or in an underground cellar. Hence, those in the Bible "hell" are merely in the grave, "concealed", awaiting a resurrection from the dead, as Revelation 20:13 brings to our attention. The apostle Paul told Felix, procurator of the Roman province of Judea, that "there is going to be a resurrection of both the righteous and the unrighteous.("just and unjust", King James Bible)"(Acts 24:15)

Hence, even those considered as "unrighteous"(Young's Bible), "unjust"(King James Bible), "wicked"(International Standard Version) will receive a resurrection from the dead, to be given an opportunity to please their Creator. Over the centuries, the churches have indeed distorted the meaning of "hell", promulgating a false religious teaching.

The expression, "lake of fire" that the churches point to as a place of torment, is used in four occurrences in Revelation 20. This expression is also spoken as the "fiery lake" at Revelation 19:20 and as the "lake that burns with fire and sulpher" at Revelation 21:8. In speaking of "the Devil and his angels", Jesus used the term "everlasting fire" at Matthew 25:41 and has the same meaning as the "lake of fire". Jesus also used the expression "Gehenna" [Greek form of the Hebrew word Geh Hin·nom´, “Valley of Hinnomâ€Â], at Matthew 5:22, 29,30; 18:9 and 23:15 meaning the same as the "lake of fire". Is the "lake of fire" literal ? No. Just as the "wild beast" and the "false prophet" at Revelation 13 are symbolic in the Bible book of Revelation, so is the "lake of fire".

What is the meaning of the "lake of fire" ? Just as fire consumes and destroys that which it burns, so the "lake of fire" means total destruction, not eternal torment, for the "wild beast" nor the "false prophet" can be physically tormented, but can be destroyed. These are political organizations, the "wild beast" being Satan's entire political system of things on the earth and the "false prophet" being the Anglo-America dual world power of Britain and America, and their supporters,(Rev 19:21) are destroyed following the total annihilation of "Babylon the Great", the world empire of false religion at the very hands of the "wild beast" or political elements of the world,(Rev 18:8) having done so because "God put it into their hearts to carry out his thought."(Rev 17:16,17)

The Bible "hell" is not a place of torment as many teach or believe, but is the common grave of mankind. Those judged worthy of a resurrection from the dead by Jesus Christ, as held captive by hades, are given an opportunity to learn of the God of the Bible, Jehovah, and become faithful adherents of his laws, submitting to his "kingdom",and thus to life everlasting on the earth as "meek" ones(Matt 5:5) or as "kings and priests" in heaven.(Rev 5:9,10) Any who have shown themselves unwilling to fully follow "the things written in the scrolls"(Rev 20:12) during the thousand year reign of Christ, are then thrown into "the lake of fire", or the "second death",(Rev 20:14) eternal destruction.

Wow, thank you ALL so much for your in-depth responses; I understand so much more about the subject now than I ever have before; what a great forum this is!

Thanks again! :D

Mark

At Job 14:13, after his wife has told him to "curse God and die" following the loss of their children and being struck by Satan with a debilitating illness, Job asks of God: "O that in Sheol (common grave of mankind) you would conceal me, that you would keep me secret until your angers turns back, that you would set a time limit for me and remember me." Job requested for God to remember him at his appointed time.

Job now asks: "If an able-bodied man dies, can he live again ?" Realizing that death is compelled upon us as the offspring of Adam, he now says: "All the days of my compulsory service I shall wait, until my relief comes." What is this "relief" ? A resurrection (from the Greek word a·na´sta·sis literally meaning “raising up; standing up.â€Â) from the dead, for he says to God: "You will call, and I myself shall answer you. For the work of your hands you will have a yearning."(Job 14:14,15) Hence, those who are in God's memory, (Jesus used the Greek word mneméion, meaning "memorial tombs" at John 5:28) or the Bible's "hell"(common grave of mankind), will be resurrected or brought back to life. God has a yearning or deep desire to restore life to those in his memory.

Upon Adam and Eve's rebellion, taking of the fruit that did not belong to them, God pronounced sentence upon them. He told Adam: "Because you listened to your wife's voice...in the sweat of your face you will eat bread until you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For dust you are and to dust you will return."(Gen 3:17,19) Thus Adam, upon his death, was not tormented, but became as he was before God formed him from the ' dust of the ground ', non-existent, returning to the "dust" of which he was formed. He went to Gehenna (total annihilation), for he will never be resurrected.

While Jesus and two evil-doers were on hanging on torture stakes before their deaths, one of them asks Jesus: "Jesus, remember me when you get into your kingdom." Jesus replied to him: "Truly, I tell you today, You will be with me in Paradise."(Luke 23:42,43) As these two evil-doers were most likely Jewish, what "paradise" would of have come to their mind ? The one at Genesis, in which God placed Adam and his wife Eve, in the Garden of Eden. Before their disobedience in taking fruit from the "tree of knowledge of good and bad", there was no death for humans, just a beautiful garden, with all the provisions for life's enjoyment.(Gen 2)

At Psalms 37:11,29, the promise is made that those who are resurrected from the dead, the Bible's "hell" and become "meek", can have the opportunity to live forever on this earth, in a Paradise, for David wrote under inspiration that "the meek ones themselves will possess the earth, and they will find their exquisite delight in the abundance of peace...and they will reside forever upon it." Jesus reaffirmed this, saying: "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth."(Matt 5;5, King James Bible) Thus, the evil-doer that requested Jesus to remember him, will be brought back to life from "hell" to a paradise earth, and given the opportunity to follow God's instructions, with the prospect of living forever on a restored earth, whereby sickness, sorrow and death will be permanently removed.(Rev.21:3-5)

Can you stand just one more comment?

The next time someone mentions "eternal" torment, please ask them kindly what the
Greek or Hebrew word for eternal is. To my knowledge, there is none. I understand the
concept of eternity was postulated in the 3rd or 4th century (A.D.)

If you define a human as....A spirit, having a soul, inhabiting a physical body, and you do a
word study of the Bible (not denominational handbook) on spirit, soul, and body, you come to
the following conclusions:

1. physical body - upon death, returns to dust
2. spirit - upon death, returns to God from whom it came in the first place
3. soul - upon death, ceases existence (terms used in KJV - death, sleep)

Then you have the resurrection, etc.

Most folks who postulate eternal torment unfortunately either never study the topic or
else parrot denominational doctrines.

If you know the truth, the truth will set you free.

Capt. Kirk said:
Can you stand just one more comment?

The next time someone mentions "eternal" torment, please ask them kindly what the
Greek or Hebrew word for eternal is. To my knowledge, there is none. I understand the

If you define a human as....A spirit, having a soul, inhabiting a physical body, and you do a
word study of the Bible (not denominational handbook) on spirit, soul, and body, you come to
the following conclusions:

1. physical body - upon death, returns to dust
2. spirit - upon death, returns to God from whom it came in the first place
3. soul - upon death, ceases existence (terms used in KJV - death, sleep)

Then you have the resurrection, etc.

Most folks who postulate eternal torment unfortunately either never study the topic or
else parrot denominational doctrines.

If you know the truth, the truth will set you free.

The beginning of wisdom is the fear of God. You've decided there is nothing to fear. But you're wrong. I might love something while it is still living, but if it is dead, I will throw it out. That's how it is. The ones who are dead in their sins will be cast into the lake of fire like dried wood. Again, at the close of the age, the net is pulled in, and the fish are sorted. The good are kept and the bad are thrown into the fire. There's no love or hate involved because there is nothing to love or hate. There is only judgment left.

If you're not in Christ when he returns, you're dead wood. A strong wind will throw down a tree. At that point there is nothing to do but cut it up and throw it into the fire. If the tree is bad, all rotten and worm eaten, it will be thrown into the fire. If salt has lost its taste, it is worthless, and it is thrown out.

As far as death goes, the spirit returns to God, and the soul goes down to Hades. There the person is kept in torment until the day of judgment. However, the ones who believe in Christ do not go down to Hades. They enter God's rest. See the parable about the rich man and Lazarus. Luke 16: 19-31

God is the God of the living. Have you not read what was said by God, 'I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'?

Just a brief comment about God being too loving to send one to everlasting punishment:

1. Love is God
Or
2. God is love

There is a difference, a vast difference. Which of the above is a Bible quote?

Captain Kirk said:
The next time someone mentions "eternal" torment, please ask them kindly what the Greek or Hebrew word for eternal is. To my knowledge, there is none. I understand the

I haven't studied Hebrew. But the Greek word for "eternal" is "ἀιδιοÂ". This word occurs twice in the New Testament:

Romans 1:20 Ever since the creation of the world his invisible nature, namely, his eternal power and deity, has been clearly perceived in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse...

Jude 1:6 And the angels who did not stay within their own position of authority, but left their proper dwelling, he has kept in eternal chains under gloomy darkness until the judgment of the great day––

But notice in the verse above, though the fallen angels are kept in eternal chains, they don't remain there eternally, but only until "the judgment of the great day".

The word is also found twice in the Apocrypha, the first in its nounal form:

Wisdom 2:23 ... for God created man for incorruption, and made him in the image of his own eternity..

Wisdon 7:26 26 For [wisdom] is a reflection of eternal light, a spotless mirror of the working of God, and an image of his goodness.

When one looks objectively at the Bible, the meaning of the Hebrew word she’ohl´and both Greek words hai´des and Ge´en·na (English, “Gehennaâ€Â, Matt 5:22; 10:28) that have been translated as "hell" by various Bibles, becomes clarified. To show that God is not one who torments people, he told the nation of Israel that "the children of Judah have done evil in my sight, saith the Lord: they have set their abominations in the house which is called by my name, to pollute it. And they have built the high places of Tophet, which is in the valley of the son of Hinnom, to burn their sons and their daughters in the fire; which I commanded them not, neither came it into my heart."(Jer 7:30,31, King James Bible)
You are correct concerning the meaning of these Names and the condition of one’s Soul in Hell, Sheohl or Hades but then you stray into error when you continue on by assuming from this study that Eternal Torment in Fire is not taught in the Scriptures.

But in this error you are far from alone.

The confusion on this issue results from the fact that the overwhelming majority of people, secular, Christian, even Pastors and Teachers of God’s Word all believe Hell, Sheohl or Hades are synonymous with the Lake of Fire that is the unsaved souls final resting place. SADLY FOR ALL INVOLVED THIS NOT WHAT IS REVEALED IN THE SCRIPTURES.

The Scriptures actually ascribe TWO SEPARATE DEATHS TO EACH UNSAVED PERSON rather then the ONE DEATH we all commonly think about and have 2nd hand experience with thru others.

The First Death is the one we are all familiar with, it is the death of this flesh. This is the only death we as human beings are acquainted with. Most of us have experienced this First Death 2nd hand thru the loss of a loved one, a friend or an acquaintance.

In this First death the biological body ceases to function and the Soul is released from its captivity to this house of clay. While this house of clay is most often deposited in the earth to rest, the Angel of Death collects the released Soul and incarcerates him in a state of profound unconsciousness in Hell, which is the World or Realm of the Dead.

DEATH as we perceive it in our popular culture, as THE END of EVERYTHING, does not exist in the Scriptures.

Man’s True Life Force is not biological, not carbon based and does not need water or oxygen to survive. These elements are required only to maintain the vessel in which we temporally dwell, this house of clay or flesh that presently provides a covering for the True Life Force which is our Eternal Soul.

The True Life Force of man is the very Breath of God Himself and can not die or be destroyed as we perceive death or destruction.

God is Eternal, Without End, Forever and the Life He Breathed into Adam is the same Life Force by which God, Himself Exists and is Eternal.

Gen 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Thus death as the End of Everything or as a Complete Destruction of our Life Force, what we call a Soul, is not possible, even God is incapable of completely destroying His own Breath of Life.

The definition provided for us of Death in the Scriptures is not the END of Everything but rather is a condition of Profound Loss of Consciousness or a Deep Sleep and the Scriptures refer to it as such when it EQUATES THE FIRST DEATH TOO SLEEPING.

Mat 9:24 He said unto them, Give place: for the maid is not dead, but sleepeth. And they laughed him to scorn.

Joh 11:11 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
Joh 11:12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well.
Joh 11:13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep.

The Scriptures Never Refers to Death as Any Type of Ending.

In Hell, Sheohl or Hades, the Eternal Soul is bound in a state of profound unconsciousness or Deep Sleep only to be awakened when God’s Final Judgment is to be administered.

But when the time for God’s Judgment has arrived all Souls in Hell will be awakened and face the SECOND DEATH.

Rev 20:4 And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshiped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
Rev 20:5 But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished.

This is the first resurrection.

The first resurrection is of the Living, the children of God, who will stand before Christ and receive their reward.

In speaking to the Church of Smyrna our Lord says the following:

Rev 2:11 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches; He that overcometh shall not be hurt of the second death.

Rev 20:6 Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Rev 20:14 And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.

Rev 21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
Rev 21:7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

The second death happens when the dead are raised to life or consciousness one final time and are then judged for their sins. The judgment is this, they shall be cast into the Lake which burneth with fire and Brimstone.

That the dead, those bound in a Profound Unconsciousness or Deep Sleep in Hell, are raised to Consciousness again is attested to by Our Lord.

Mat 22:31 But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,
Mat 22:32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

That the Lake of Fire exists and is the end result for Satan his Angels and all of unsaved mankind is without doubt revealed to us in the Scriptures.

I will offer something on the primary question in this post at a later time so this post is not extended beyond convenience.

Marcusart said:

Thank you.

Hi Marcusart:

I Hope you had a good Thanksgiving?

I know how tough it can be to lose your job and struggle financially after 40 yrs of continuous employment. It can really shake your confidence and bring on a major depression.

A number of yrs ago our Lord allowed me to experience what you are presently facing. I ended up homeless for almost 3 yrs during that time our Lord never left my side but rather stayed closer then I had ever experienced before in my walk with Him.

Yeah it was a bit scary at first but our Lord made sure I was aware of His presence at my side and that was most comforting and reassuring.

I learned much about our Lord and His love for all of His children. I would never have had the chance to truly know His love and His Provision had I not been allowed this experience.

The most important lesson I learned during this time is that regardless of our circumstance God is already there in the midst of it and if we will but take a brief moment to look He will reveal Himself to us.

I am truly grateful for this opportunity He allowed me to go thru for it drew me closer to Him and I still find that time of homelessness to be one of the best experiences of my life so far.

What I learned about Him, His children and His provision for all of us are treasures I cherish and even today these lessons pay huge dividends into my life spiritually.

Know that I and all who have viewed your post I am sure are keeping you in our prayers.

As to your question concerning Hell I will offer the following.

What you seem to be really asking: Is God is really trustworthy?

I can offer you words on this and these words would be without question positive but I do not believe that mere words will actually answer your question.

For while your question is formed with your rational mind the root of your question is in the irrational mind of your heart.

For you are even now at the door reaching for the handle to invite Him in as Savior and Lord of your life and our adversary the devil is desperately throwing up every defense He can find to prevent you from doing this.

I am confident you will make the right choice and open the door and invite our Lord Jesus the Christ into your life as your Savior and Lord.

When you do, know this, all those questions which have been flooding your mind will melt away like the cool morning mists evaporating before the blazing light of the Son of God arising in your heart.

Go with God my friend love and peace unto you.

At Ecclesiastes 12:7, it says that after a person has died, "then the dust returns to the earth just as it happened to be and the spirit (Hebrew ru´ach) itself returns to the true God who gave it." What is meant by Solomon's inspired words ? That, at death, the "spirit" or the life-force of a person now "returns to the true God" in the sense that any hope of a future life rests with God, and that through a resurrection, God will restore this life-force or "spirit" in order to live again. It can be likened to powering up an electrical appliance, with the appliance now "alive".

Earlier in Ecclesiastes, at 9:4,5, Solomon wrote, after saying that a "live dog is better off than a dead lion", then says that "the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all, neither do they anymore have wages, because the remembrance of them has been forgotten." Those who who are alive are well aware that they will die, but the dead "are conscious of nothing at all", not being able to be tormented.

Jacob, after hearing a deceptive "report" from his older sons that "a vicious wild beast must have devoured (Joseph)", he kept refusing comfort and said that "I shall go down to my son into Sheol."(Gen 37:35, Greek hades) Later, when Jacob was told by his older sons that Benjamin must accompany these to Egypt to obtain food during the seven year famine, he said to them that "if you were to take this one out of my sight and a fatal accident were to befall him, you would certainly bring down my gray hairs with calamity to Sheol."(Gen 44:29, Greek hades, "grave", King James Bible)

Sheol (Hebrew) or hades (Greek) is not a place of torment, but rather the common grave of mankind, where all who have died are in God's memory, awaiting a resurrection from their dead state. At Acts 2:27, in quoting from Psalms 16:10, the apostle Peter said of Jesus, that God "will not leave my soul in Hades, neither will you allow your loyal one to see corruption". Thus Peter said of Jesus, that "neither was he forsaken in hades ("hell", King James Bible) nor did his flesh see corruption". Hence, Jesus went to hades or sheol, gravedom, acting as a place of concealment until God resurrected him from the dead.(Acts 2:32)

This is from the book "Christ Triumphant" by Thomas Allin, which those who adhere to "Annihilation" may find interesting. Bubba

"I believe in one God the Father Almighty, who wills not the death of a sinner." If, then, even one sinner die finally, God's will is not done, i.e., God is so far defeated and evil victorious. Annihilation is the triumph of death over life: it is the very antithesis to the Gospel, which asserts the triumph of Christ over every form of death. It is strange indeed that able men, who write elaborate treatises advocating this view, should overlook the fact, that all schemes of partial salvation involve a compromise with evil on God's part.

No less strange is the assertion that the moral sense is not shocked by God, who is absolutely free, yet forcing the gift of life on those whom He knows to be in fact destined to become the prey of evil so completely, that they either rot away of sheer wickedness; or, being hopelessly corrupt, are extinguished by their Father.

Death nowhere in Holy Scripture implies annihilation, for earthly destruction is, especially in the case of the Old Testament, that which is denoted by the term, death : but as a rule this term has a wider significance, and one far deeper. Nay, as I hope to point out, (ch. vi. on death,) there is in Scriptural usage, especially in the New Testament, a deep spiritual connection between death and life; death becomes the path to, and the very condition of, life.

Further, this theory wholly breaks down in practice. So far from "perishing" implying final ruin, Christ came specially to save that which has "perished," - to apololos the "lost," "ruined," "destroyed ;" the original term is the same which is often translated "destroy," and on which the theory of annihilation is so largely built. The same word occurs in S. Luke xv., and there is applied to the Sheep, the Coin, the Prodigal Son - all of which are thus 'destroyed," "lost," and yet finally saved. In S. Matt.X 39, xvi. 25, to "lose" (destroy) one's life is stated as the condition of finding it. So Christ is sent to save the "lost" (destroyed) sheep of Israel. So Sodom and Gomorrha are destroyed, and yet have a special promise of restoration. - Ez. xv. 53:5 Take the Antediluvians. After they had "died" in their sins they were evangelized by Christ in person. - I S. Pet. iii. 19. Hence the unanswerable dilemma, either all these are annihilated, or you must give up that sense of "perishing" on which the theory is based.

Probably I have said enough, but yet a very grave difficulty remains. This theory stands in hopeless conflict with the promises to restore all things, to reconcile all things through Christ, which abound in Scripture; nay, which form the very essence of its teaching when describing Christ's empire. It seems amazing that able men are found capable of maintaining that a reconciliation which is described as coextensive with all creation, Col. i. 15-20, can be equivalent to restoring some (or many) things, only after annihilating, as hopelessly evil, all the rest."

Marcusart said:

Thanks,

Mark

MY COMMENTS: Hi Mark. Concerning your last remark above, read and believe Romans 10:9,10:

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation."

It is not a matter of "giving," it is a matter of believing. Belief comes first, then feelings.

As to your OP, there have been a number of excellent posts. I'll just try to set forth the pertinent points, as I see it, more concisely.

First of all, the popular traditional view is that man has an eternal soul, and upon death the righteous will go immediately into the presence of Christ and God in heaven; while those deemed wicked or unbelievers, will go immediately to hell (a place of fire and brimstone)to suffer conscious everlasting torment. Where it is they are not sure; some say in the center of the earth.

Emphatically, I will say this is wrong. It is based upon a doctrine of man having an immortal soul, a teaching from Greek philosophy. The Bible says, in Rom. 6:23 "The wages of sin is death;" not eternal torment in hell.

Now,let us investigate this using as literal translations as possible, as well as good study tools such as Young's Concordance, a Greek/Hebrew lexicon, Bible encyclopedia, etc.

First, there is nothing in the Scriptures that say that man has an "eternal soul".

The key is in the first book of the Bible, Genesis:
Gen.2:7 "And the Lord God formedman of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." AV.
NOTICE: A separate soul was not joined to a prepared body. Man became a living soul (being in some versions) when the breath of the spirit of life was breathed into his nostrils.

To be brief: Many times man is called a "soul" in the Scriptures. See Gen.12:5, 46:26; Ex.12:4; Acts 2:41,43; 7:14; 27:37; Rom.2:9; 13:1 etc.
Many times the soul is said to die or be dead: Josh.10:28,30,32,35,37,39; Jer. 2:34; Ez, 13:19; 18:4, 22:25-27, etc.

If the soul of a man is destroyed, it means the man is destroyed, thet is, dies.

Soul could be said to be the consciousness, the feelings, the desires, produced by the breath of life vitalizing the body.

In other posts it was shown that in the Greek scriptures, only three words have been "translated" as "hell": Gehenna, Hades, and Tartaroo.

Jesus, in the Gospels, alluded to "Gehenna" or the "fires of Gehenna" eleven times, as something for his disciples and the multitudes to fear.
Gehenna was the valley outside the southern wall of Jerusalem where the offal and rubbish of the city was dumped. It was continually kept burning to destroy anything burnable and to help purify the air. No doubt there were maggots eating any waste matter that wasn't burned up.

The worst sentence a law-breaker could get was to be sentenced to the fires of Gehenna, because he would be stoned to death and his body cast into Gehenna, where the fires were kept burning (in Jesus day) and where the maggots would eat what parts of the body didn't burn up.
NOTICE: any one sentenced to Gehenna was alive when the judgment was given by the Sanhedrin.
A dead person cannot be punished.

And from Jesus words of warning, IMO, Gehenna will be below the walls of the restored Jerusalem in the millennial kingdom. See Matt. 5:22,29,30; 10:28; 18:9; 23:15,33; Mark 9:43,45,47; Luke 12:5.

The second word is "Hades." Its root meaning is "unseen" and is equivalent to "Sheol" in the OT.
Unfortunatel "Sheol" was interpreted as "hell" in almost half the occurrences in the OT, yet a careful reading will show that "grave" or "the grave" should be used in most cases. And sometimes "pit" or "the unseen" in the others.

This occurs 10 times: Matt. 11:23; 16:18; Luke 10:15; 16:23; Acts 2:27,31; Rev. 1:18; 6:8; 20:13 and 14.
One could translate it either "the greave" or "the unseen" depending on the context.

The last word is "Tartaroo" which literally means "cast down to Tartarus."
Peter used this word to describe the fallen angels being cast down to the gloomy caverns of Tartarus. "Tartarus" was from Greek mythology, a prison of deepest gloom where some of the falllen gods were placed. When used in Scripture, is is purified.

So then, the concept of a 'place of torment in a burning fire for the souls of the wicked' is false.

What then, were the worst judgments in Jesus day, and in the future millennium? To be sentenced to Gehenna. Obviously, it was a live person who was sentenced.

Question: Many times in Scripture, we read "Vengeance is mine, I will repay, sayeth the Lord." or something like that. Will not that take place before Christ Jesus on his great white throne, as we read in Rev. 20:11-15? I say yes!
For instance, If a wicked ruler is responsible for thousands of deaths, then he will feel all those deaths, somehow. And if he has persecuted the righteous, then God will exact His vengeance on him.
Look how Paul describes this time in Romans 2:2ff, KJV:
"But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things....But after thy hardness and impenitent heart threasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of revelation of the righteous judgment of God; WHO WILL RENDER TO EVERY MAN ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS: To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obdy unrighteousness, indignation and wrath, tribulation and anguish, upon every soul that does evil, of the Jew first, and also the Gentile;
But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile; For there is no respect of persons with God."

And, as I understand, these resurrected to be judged at the great white throne, will be all the dead who have not been already resurrected to life, such as the church/body of Christ taken up at the 'rapture', and all the OT saints and tribulation saints resurrected after Messiah Jesus comes again to establish his kingdom: called the first or former resurrection, Rev. 20:4,5.

All for now.

This teaching you present came into existence not through the study of the Scripture or by the teaching of the Holy Spirit but rather as an accommodation by the traditional Church to garner favor with those whose faith is in the modern scientific view rather then the Truth God provided in the Scriptures and is little more then an attempt to pass off THEOLOGICAL DARWINISM as Truth. This teaching aptly demonstrates that when Truth is compromised the only losers are the faithful.

Think about it if we have no eternal soul then we are mere animals no better then an ape or an ox from which we must have evolved just like science says we did. As to our superiority on this planet it is simply a function of the size of our brain box and not the result of God Personally setting us above all other fleshly life forms. In addition if there is no life except this fleshly one and then total annihilation, just as our science tells us, then all we have is this life of the flesh so we best live it to its fullest.

This teaching is wrong on so many levels it is impossible to address all of them in this present medium. So I will make a couple of major points and call it a day.

The real culprit in this confusion is the man who translated the Scriptures into the Kings English. This man arbitrarily chose to translate the Hebrew and Greek word for spirit into two separate English words, SOUL and SPIRIT.

He used the word SPIRIT whenever he believed the text indicated the Scriptures were speaking about God or Heavenly Beings and he used the word SOUL whenever he believed the text was speaking about man or animals.

The use of two English words to translate the same Hebrew or Greek word has caused many to perceive a difference between Gods’ Eternal Spirit and the SOUL of man. This is the exact opposite of what the Scriptures teach.

THE FACT IS THAT THE SAME HEBREW AND GREEK WORDS ARE USED IN EVERY PLACE IN SCRIPTURE WHERE WE SEE EITHER SPIRIT OR SOUL IN THE ENGLISH TEXT. GOD WHO KNOWS SAW NO DIFFERENCE WHO ARE WE TO CALL HIM A LAIR.

Now a couple of points from your post:

First of all, the popular traditional view is that man has an eternal soul, and upon death the righteous will go immediately into the presence of Christ and God in heaven; while those deemed wicked or unbelievers, will go immediately to hell (a place of fire and brimstone)to suffer conscious everlasting torment. Where it is they are not sure; some say in the center of the earth.

Your statement proves that you neither understand the Scriptures nor the power of God.

I will answer you from the Scriptures even as our Lord responded to similar sophistries put forth by the Sadducees. Mt 22:22-32

Mat 22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the Scriptures, nor the power of God.
Mat 22:32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob GOD IS NOT THE GOD OF THE DEAD, BUT OF THE LIVING.

Emphatically, I will say this is wrong. It is based upon a doctrine of man having an immortal soul, a teaching from Greek philosophy.First, there is nothing in the Scriptures that say that man has an "eternal soul".

This is an academic argument which at best is an illusion and proves absolutely nothing, it is easily defeated by asking but one questions. Which came first the creation by God of the immortal SOUL in Adam or the Greeks teaching of man having an immortal soul in their philosophy?

The historical fact that the Greeks were right about man having an immortal soul has no bearing one way or the other upon the Truth that the Scriptures teach.

Gen.2:7 "And the Lord God formedman of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." AV.
NOTICE: A separate soul was not joined to a prepared body. Man became a living soul (being in some versions) when the breath of the spirit of life was breathed into his nostrils.

You quote only God’s physical act of creating man while conveniently ignoring the other passages concerning the creation of Adam which give us more detail about the true nature of man when he was created.

Gen 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our IMAGE, after our LIKENESS: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
Gen 1:27 So God created man in his own IMAGE, in the IMAGE of God created he him; male and female created he them.

Tell me the difference between the meaning of the word IMAGE and the meaning of the word LIKENESS in verse 26 above.

The words image and likeness have the same meaning in English, in fact the words image and likeness are synonymous with each other.

So if we take this translation at face value we must believe that God is repeating Himself without any apparent purpose.

God does nothing without purpose therefore we must look more closely to discover what God is trying to tell us which has been obscured when translated from the original language of the Scriptures into English.

Definitions from Strong’s:

LIKENESS:
דּמוּת
demûth
dem-ooth'
From H1819; resemblance; concretely model, shape; adverbially like: - fashion, like (-ness, as), manner, similitude.

As you can see the word LIKENESS deals with the concrete, model, or shape thus the physical form of man.

IMAGE:
H6754
צל×Â
tselem
tseh'-lem
From an unused root meaning to shade; a phantom, that is, (figuratively) illusion, resemblance; hence a representative figure, especially an idol: - image, vain shew.

The word translated IMAGE on the other hand deals with the shade, phantom or illusionary form of God, which is His Spiritual form, that which is invisible to us and is God’s inner nature, His Spiritual Life-force which is Eternal.

Now when we read of the actual act of God’s Creation of man we put the two together.

Gen.2:7 "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul." AV.

When God formed man out of the ground, the clay, He created His own LIKENESS in its physical appearance.

When God breathed into Adam’s nostrils the Breath of Life he formed within Adam the very IMAGE of God’s own invisible Spiritual Nature which is His Eternal Spirit.

It is important to note that only into man does God Breathe His very Own Spiritual Essence. No other life form on this planet has the very breath of God as his life force.

The reason God uses the word Image twice in verse 1:27 is because He is speaking of the creation of both the man and the woman.

Because the woman is not formed physically like God He uses the word Image to denote that Spiritually both and man and woman are like God in Spirit.

There are many other Scriptural proofs of mans eternal spirit but there is not the room to expound further in this medium.

Back