Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Questions on Geneaology

chrisbow22

I've started at the beginning reading Genesis and I'm loving it. But one of my struggles throughout life has been questioning the timeline of the Bible. I'm reading from the NLT version. God creates Adam. God creates Eve from Adam's rib. Adam and Eve lay together and give birth to Cain and Abel. Nothing is said about their lives growing up. All of a sudden they're older. Cain kills Abel and God curses him. Cain then says that he is afraid that people will try to kill him. God marks him and Cain goes to live in the land of Nod.

Now before this, we've only heard of Eden. And Cain's comment about being afraid of people killing him insinuates that there may be other people on earth at that point. But we only hear about the creation of Adam and Eve and it's assumed that we are all descendants of them. But how? Somewhere along the line, logically speaking, a brother and sister or a father and daughter would have to pro-create. Which is wrong in my mind. We hear about Cain later marrying and having his own family tree. But where did these people come from? God would have had to create other people in other lands the same way He created Adam and Eve...right? We have blacks, whites, Asian and all sorts of different races. Where did they all originate from? Surely we're not ALL direct descendants of Adam and Eve. There seems to be some gray areas. Are there any thoughts or ways of explaining how this might be? How is it logically possible that Adam and Eve, the only two known people in the beginning of time, somehow got us to the result today of over 6 billion people worldwide? I'm very confused.

Adam and Eve did have many children who mated, which was not wrong at that time. These first people lived for hundreds of years, so Cain would indeed speak of being afraid of reprisals against him, for there would be many inhabitants in the world to that point.

The races came from the repopulation of the earth after the flood from the sons of Noah, who dispersed throughout the earth, making enclaves of people with particular physical characteristics possible, lending to the formation of genetically linked groups---races.

this is more of a science question, the original poster i dont think has acess to the proper forum, if the others wish open up a thread there.

When did these events happen, Alabaster?

When a person reads the bible, one deduces these things.

Origin of Races

The sons of Noah, Shem, Ham, and Japheth. Most scholars point to Shem, Ham, and Japheth as the progenitors of all the races of earth (Gen. 10). Shem is said to be the father of the Semite races (Jews, Arabs, etc.), Ham the father of the dark-skinned (blacks), and Japheth the father of the Caucasian races (whites). Such a position is based, in part, on the names of some of their descendants and where they later located. For instance, Ham was the father of "Cush" (Gen. 10: 6). The "land of Cush" is later called "Ethiopia" (Num. 12: 1, see footnote). However, the Shem, Ham, and Japheth answer is not free of attendant problems.

The tower of Babel. Another historic event which seems involved in the origin of nations is the tower of Babel (Gen. 11, just a few years subsequent to the events of Genesis 10). The people populating the earth were of one language and were mostly located in the same area. However, with Babel came different languages and the scattering of the people (Gen. 11: 1, 7, 8). Such an occurrence, in addition to the three new progenitors, would doubtless contribute to a significant measure to cultural and environmental influences.

No, I mean when, earth time, . . . what date [approximately]?

Also, which event occured first? Noah flood, or tower of Babel?

Back