Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Rapid decline in the faith?

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Someone mentioned to me how the past 10 years or so have been rough for churches and people aren’t just not in church they’re ex Christians and some are hostile and…
I dunno 🤷‍♂️

I kind of live in a bubble 🫧 plus I’ve only recently really truly recovered from shock treatments etc so..

I thought I’d ask others.

Yes, Christianity in America and the west in general has been in decline for some time now.

Just yesterday I saw a report that the number of Southern Baptists in the US is the lowest it's been since the mid-1970's.

Someone mentioned to me how the past 10 years or so have been rough for churches and people aren’t just not in church they’re ex Christians and some are hostile and…
I dunno 🤷‍♂️

I kind of live in a bubble 🫧 plus I’ve only recently really truly recovered from shock treatments etc so..

It's both. On the negative side, churches that were so-so and declining for years have shut their doors (and maybe consolidated with others) since COVID. Others have flourished. Overall, I believe church attendance is less but where people do attend are the more faithful (or extremely habitual lol) church-goers. There's 3 churches in our township of about 5000. The Lutheran is so-so and still going to my knowledge. The evangelical one is struggling but before COVID it had its round of poor pastors once the good one retired. As for my church (non-denominational but evangelical leaning) , it's going pretty strong yet attendance-wise and people seem to be enthusiastic, but the children's groups are struggling. Out of a typical Sunday of 100+ people attending, there are 10-15 kids. COVID destroyed the children's Sunday School program but in lieu of it they have children's church with activities and lessons while the main sermon goes on. Only us adults have class afterwards any longer about 10 of us. Overall, I see that as a bad sign unless something picks up with the youth, but I don't see what we have as declining but maybe somewhat improving. The big issue is getting enough teachers to the kids - we struggled with that in the past and the COVID gave an excuse for a mass exodus. This IMO is a microcosm of what is happening in many churches today. Once kids are out of the churches, this high-tech, wokism and other stuff fills their voids and they sometimes become hostile to any faith but they clearly are aimless and unhappy as well.

On the positive side, there have been campus conversions and baptisms all over the nation and even the world galore (even more than the massive anti-Israeli protests). The interesting thing about this movement is that unlike the Jesus movement in the 60's and 70's, it has no specific leader. Young people hear sermons, and they just want to be saved and baptized as if they know something is going on no matter where - it's by God alone with no denominational affiliation. I'm not sure yet how they will "solidify" regular Christian gatherings as new converts often seek guidance and a group of believers they want to identify with. Last I heard they are simply showing up in churches and if some of those churches are the so-so type, I don't think it will aid their growth. I've been around to see both now and this move of God, while encouraging, is a bit different from their grandparent's Jesus movement.

Lastly, I do believe we are in end times and a move of God will happen as we see it happening now. Israel is in the news, morality is down the toilet (and yet they think it's normal), wars and rumors of wars everywhere, Dictatorial governments mandating shots to everyone and then when people suffer with proven reactions they act like they did not know (but such dictatorship is how the future Antichrist will operate without regard for people). I've been saying that for decades now and each and every year I see things moving closer just as I predicted by the Bible. But it really took off since the COVID people are asking "What is going on?" 30 years ago I taught Revelation when people though that was nice like a good science fiction movie, then went home and probably most forgotten about it. Now, they see it's not so crazy of a teaching. The so-so churches still can't get out of the peaches and cream and rose colored glasses mindset yet and will find themselves like the 5 foolish virgins. And here's one last prediction I made a while back: in these terrible times, we are going to see more and more hidden house churches instead of a mainline church. That's because for mainline churches to exist, it's going to get to the point that they have to teach (or not teach) certain things that the godless heathen leaders push on them in the name of inclusion and diversity, which is doing ANYTHING BUT including true Christians and allow a diverse and tolerant view of them.

Those who are weak in faith soon fall away from it as they do not allow themselves to build upon their faith.

Mat 24:10 And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
Mat 24:11 And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
Mat 24:12 And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
Mat 24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

2Tim 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
2Tim 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
2Tim 3:3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
2Tim 3:4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
2Tim 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
2Tim 3:6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,
2Tim 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Rev 3:14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
Rev 3:15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
Rev 3:16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

I think the decline is directly related to technological advancement. The same thing happened in Europe.

Matthew 22:14 “For many are called, but few are chosen.”

I believe maybe 3 out of 10 who claim to be Christian are really Chrisitan.

Really not a decline.

Valid points. If many church goers were not saved to begin with it makes sense that they’d jump ship 🛳️ once the culture began to change.
I dunno 🤷‍♂️ because of Jesus Christs work in my life I’m pretty sure I’m a genuine conversion. What’s…disconcerting I suppose…

Is how so many local churches ⛪️ and ministries aren’t even remotely interested in building believers. Getting new members yes…spreading their message yes…not so much with disciple ing believers. Also worrisome…
There seems to be a lot is mean spirited people in leadership positions in the churches ⛪️ and ministries. Ugh 😑

Valid points. If many church goers were not saved to begin with it makes sense that they’d jump ship 🛳️ once the culture began to change.
I dunno 🤷‍♂️ because of Jesus Christs work in my life I’m pretty sure I’m a genuine conversion. What’s…disconcerting I suppose…

Is how so many local churches ⛪️ and ministries aren’t even remotely interested in building believers. Getting new members yes…spreading their message yes…not so much with disciple ing believers. Also worrisome…
There seems to be a lot is mean spirited people in leadership positions in the churches ⛪️ and ministries. Ugh 😑
Also alot of focus on entertainment, false doctrines, self-esteem and building ones self up etc..

That’s what frightens me about it. There’s this surface level positive thinking feel good etc but then..,

There’s a lot of cruelty and cruel people hiding behind all that…

Nothing new about teens leaving church.
Whether one listens to answers in genesis or creation.com they both say the same thing.
That teenagers find the church and the bible irrelevant today, because they have not been taught by their local church about the accuracy of the bible, how to explain in rational terms what they believe or how to defend Christianity and about the problems with evolution and atheism.

See aims 2009 article about it:- https://answersingenesis.org/church/going-going-gone/

That’s what frightens me about it. There’s this surface level positive thinking feel good etc but then..,

There’s a lot of cruelty and cruel people hiding behind all that…
I'm not frightened, but grieving that so many are further and further away from Torah (Scripture/Jesus).
Nothing new about teens leaving church.
Many have left away from the 'Christian' online websites also, seeing so much in error and they cannot or don't know what to do about this/that.... there is no error correction most places in person nor online.

A lot of the churches were pushing the covid vaccine on members and not many of them are very forgiving about it. Others are too ill to side one way or the other.

I dunno 🤷‍♂️

Thanks to a number of influences over several decades now, the Church in North America is presently filled with "leaven" (1 Corinthians 5:6) and the result is a Church that, like the churches at Sardis and Laodicea, is spiritually near-death, impotent, corrupt and a laughing-stock to the World. As such, it is of little interest, or value, to the non-believer.

Jesus wasn't kidding or overstating things when he said,

Matthew 7:13-14
13 “Enter by the narrow gate. For the gate is wide and the way is easy that leads to destruction, and those who enter by it are many.
14 For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

The actual, true Church of God, the Body of Believers, is much smaller than the size it appears to be at the moment. The Church has been bloated by "seekers" and "false brethren," nominal Christians who adhere to the Church though their hearts are far from God. Some have called these "Christians" "functional atheists" since, in practice, they live as if there is no God.

Titus 1:15-16
15 To the pure, all things are pure, but to the defiled and unbelieving, nothing is pure; but both their minds and their consciences are defiled.
16 They profess to know God, but they deny him by their works. They are detestable, disobedient, unfit for any good work.

In cleansing of the Church, I can see very severe (but necessary) persecution approaching, the purifying crucible of suffering that will draw of the "dross" presently fouling the Church. It ain't going to be pretty...

A lot of the churches were pushing the covid vaccine on members and not many of them are very forgiving about it. Others are too ill to side one way or the other.
The us nave active duty nurses who refused to be jabbed were fired by the nave.....
then the nave refersed its decision after finding out officially that the masks and the jabs were no good - they were harmful instead ...
SO NOW NURSES DON'T NEED THE JAB... to be in the nave,
but the original nurses WHO KNEW THE JAB WAS BAD , were not let back in (as of a few months ago).

Other groups , organizations, and government agencies also discovered the jabs and the masks were harmful ...... and some dropped all requirements about it,
ONE CITY Hall did so QUIETLY, not advertising it... but just QUIETLY REMOVING the signs and other notices.... so no one needed a jab or a mask to enter....

Many have left away from the 'Christian' online websites also, seeing so much in error and they cannot or don't know what to do about this/that.... there is no error correction most places in person nor online.
It is the responsibility of the local church to teach and train Christians so they know what they believe, how to defend it, how to evangelise and how to answer the questions, accusations from unbelievers.

I believe maybe 3 out of 10 who claim to be Christian are really Chrisitan.

Really not a decline.
Conservative pastors, men serving God, decades ago , said that they believe only 5% of those who claim to be born again in the usa are truly born again. i.e. 5 out of 100.

While the news of the churches seems sad, and many comments here regard the church as going out and failing, I still want to point out an example article I read about the massive baptisms since the February 2023 revival at Asbury. Church congregations aside, God is also moving. I read articles like this all the time. I did not know if this is bigger than the Jesus movement or not, but nobody seems to know how many yet have been baptized recently. And due to the fact that (tens) of thousands are baptized every so often, and there are a myriad of articles about this where I can't hardly read about anything else without running into another revival, I'd wager that the number of people saved are now (or at least approaching) the 7-digit figure. Instead of 1968's "summer of love" is this going to be "the summer of baptisms"??https://www2.cbn.com/news/us/move-god-thousands-gather-beaches-rivers-across-us-summer-baptisms

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back