Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Saved by Grace not of works !

I agree. While there are indeed statement suggesting 'assurance of salvation' we also have statements clearly indicating the possibility of falling away.

The way to deal with this is not, as so many are doing, to selectively ignore certain texts and / or deform them beyond all reasonable recognition.

The correct approach, I suggest, is to accept that statements about a 'guaranteed inheritance' are to be understood within an implicit framework where any 'guarantees' that are made to us ultimately do not violate our freedom to turn our backs on that which is guaranteed to us.

The fact that this "qualification" is not mentioned at every turn does not mean it does not exist.

Yes. It seems convenient to just pretend certain verses just don't exist, however...

The assurance given is to those who persevere. God is righteous, He won't change His mind or pull the rug out from those who remain faithful. THAT is the guarantee, not that God guarantees person "x" salvation upon a simple little declaration of faith... We must remember that God doesn't owe anyone salvation, and some here forgotten that. The guarantee is that God will grant it to those who trust in Him to the end.

Regards

Revelation 20:12---"And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works."

The dead mentioned in this verse are the, "spiritually dead."

Wrong... You obviously have not read the verses surrounding Rev 20:12. You should consider reading the context.

And the sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and hell gave up their dead that were in them; and they were judged every one according to their works. And hell and death were cast into the pool of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life, was cast into the pool of fire. Rev 20:13-15

Verse 12 is speaking of physically dead. Obviously...

It is the end of the earth and Judgment day, the "Day of the Lord". The dead are physically dead. The EVERYONE will be judged based upon what they do - as Romans 2 also points out... These verses say the same thing.

Regards

I agree. While there are indeed statement suggesting 'assurance of salvation' we also have statements clearly indicating the possibility of falling away.

The way to deal with this is not, as so many are doing, to selectively ignore certain texts and / or deform them beyond all reasonable recognition.

The correct approach, I suggest, is to accept that statements about a 'guaranteed inheritance' are to be understood within an implicit framework where any 'guarantees' that are made to us ultimately do not violate our freedom to turn our backs on that which is guaranteed to us.

The fact that this "qualification" is not mentioned at every turn does not mean it does not exist.

The "only" concrete qualification is, "Faith." Beyond that, the Spirit's presence in the life of a "true believer" is what "creates" the, "good works/fruits" These works are not contingent upon "our" ability's. But are to the glory and will of God, and are "inspired" by the Holy Spirit's presence in the life of the "believer." Works will bring about Spiritual rewards in eternity for the "true believer, who is "born-again" by the Holy Spirit. The "unbelievers will be "judged" by their works (according to Revelation) but because their name is not written in the "book of life" they will be cast into the "lake of fire." Those works their judged by are "dead works."

Sinthesis, I know this is short. I hope you can figure out what I am saying. The beginning of Chapter 2 is a simple statement on God's impartiality, nothing more. I hope we can agree.

It is indeed about impartiality, you are right. The impartiality of JUDGMENT. Jews won't be the only ones going to heaven. God is the God of the Jews first and the Gentiles, as well. Those who are moved by God's Spirit to do good will be rewarded with eternal life. Jews won't get a special pass - and Gentiles have an opportunity to enter the Kingdom, as well.

Regards

Wrong... You obviously have not read the verses surrounding Rev 20:12. You should consider reading the context.

And the sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and hell gave up their dead that were in them; and they were judged every one according to their works. And hell and death were cast into the pool of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life, was cast into the pool of fire. Rev 20:13-15

Verse 12 is speaking of physically dead. Obviously...

It is the end of the earth and Judgment day, the "Day of the Lord". The dead are physically dead. The EVERYONE will be judged based upon what they do - as Romans 2 also points out... These verses say the same thing.

Regards

Notice in the verse, "And the sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and hell gave up their dead that were in them; and they were judged every one according to their works These "particular" dead were ALL judged together, found guilty and sentenced to the "lake of fire." And whosoever was not found written in the book of life, was cast into the pool of fire. If "your name is not written in the "lambs book of life" you will be cast into the lake of fire...Why, because you are "spiritually dead" because you didn't place your faith in Christ and Him alone, apart from your own works or other "choice's you made during the course of your life...Works of the unbeliever are only used to "judge them" apart from that, they're of NO use...

It is interesting that you don't. Let's review the section in question, since you skipped over some important parts of the two verses i posted. (what else is new...)

For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein and overcome, the last state is become worse with them than the first. For it were better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after knowing it, to turn back from the holy commandment delivered unto them. 2 Peter 2:20-21.

Clearly, something had happened. They came to know Jesus. They escaped sin by being saved/redeemed. They fell away and returned to their former life of sin.

WHO HASN'T SEEN PEOPLE LIKE THIS IN THE WORLD?

Spare me the 'they were never saved to begin with'. That is sophistry. It basically states that NO ONE can know that they are saved - since NO ONE can know what will happen in their lives regarding their faith in 20 years - so maybe your very own comrades in faith will state the same about you...

In addition, it contradicts the very NOTION that one is saved by faith!!! You propose that now one must remain in good standing with God to verify your past act of faith - that is a works salvation if I ever heard of one...

Regards
You may call it "sophistry", I call it simple childlike faith. "Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools," is something believers should try to avoid.

The Word speaks for itself. Only those with fruit are saved. The others are those who returned to the vomit.

This group of believers had false prophets (no root) who "choked" them so they withered away.

Matt. 13:4-18 said:
And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up: Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth: And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away. And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them: But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.

Of course we can know for sure we are saved. We have the Holy Spirit within, and Christ will never leave us nor forsake us. This is the assurance of those who KNOW HIM.

Have you no assurance? If not, then you have not been born again, and you do not have the Holy Spirit in you.

[quote="John 14:17-21]Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you. Yet a little while, and the world seeth me no more; but ye see me: because I live, ye shall live also. At that day ye shall know that I am in my Father, and ye in me, and I in you. He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him. [/quote]

You may call it "sophistry", I call it simple childlike faith.

I will call it "childish", since Scriptures do not make such one-time guarantees based upon a one moment declaration.

Simply put, the logic of the OSAS is double-speak. If you see a person who thinks he is Christian but is in sin - they become "never saved to begin with"...

SO MUCH for those last 20 years of faithful service to God... It was motivated by the devil. Sophistry.

The Word speaks for itself. Only those with fruit are saved. The others are those who returned to the vomit.

Yes, indeed, those with fruit. Today. Not a strawberry picked 20 years ago. The person must be FRUITFUL - today - not just long time ago. Jesus is looking for a relationship NOW, not something from long ago that falls away as one chases after the flesh again...

However, one must note that even the person who picked one strawberry long ago STILL was saved, forgiven of sin, united to the death of Jesus through baptism. It IS Christ's death that saves, right? Correct me if I am misreading you, but it appears that now, one must constantly prove that Jesus' work was applied to you long ago... If you fail to do so, live a nearly faultless life in Christ, then that is evidence that you were living a deluded life, thinking you were freed from sin the whole time, when you weren't...

Yea, it is sophistry, ain't it...

This group of believers had false prophets (no root) who "choked" them so they withered away.

Jesus makes the same statement about any believers, not just "false prophets". SOME people, say, the health and wealth gospel people, are lured away by mammon. That faith falls away, choked out by the ways of the world, since you cannot live in both effectively.

The point is made. People were saved, they fell away...

Of course we can know for sure we are saved. We have the Holy Spirit within, and Christ will never leave us nor forsake us. This is the assurance of those who KNOW HIM.

Those who obey the commandments can be sure that Christ abides in them, says John. Not because YOU SAY Christ is within you. Your actions prove Christ's work. Recall Matt 7:21...

Have you no assurance? If not, then you have not been born again, and you do not have the Holy Spirit in you.

Of course, I am morally certain that right now, Christ is abiding within me. It is manifest in how I act towards others. But even if I falter, it doesn't mean that TODAY'S action in Christ NEVER HAPPENED!!!

Yea, sophistry...

Regards

Yes. Let me anticipate where you are going with this. You are going to say that once you're born again, your citizenship in heaven is assured. Well, that view, pleasant as it is to embrace, simply does not stand up to Biblical muster.

Again:

So then, brethren, we are under obligation, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh— 13 for (Y)if you are living according to the flesh, you [f]must die; but if by the Spirit you are (Z)putting to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

Yes, we are given the Holy Spirit upon conversion. Yes, it is the Spirit that transforms us. But, unsettling as it is to those who want to be assured that their final destiny does not connect to their own willingness to let the Spirit do its work, we have the above text telling us that if, yes, if we do not let the Spirit transform us, we are indeed lost.

It would be, frankly, an insult to the intelligence of a person who understands concepts as used in the English language to suggest that the above statement from Paul is simply a description and not a prescription.

It is indeed the latter, conferring on us at least some responsibility for our final fate.

I have answered your question, please answer mine.

1 John 5:13 states, "These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God."

The Bible "assures" the believer of their eternal destiny...God wants us to "know" that we have "eternal life" But, in order to "have eternal life" you need to know for sure that your "born again Spiritually" Water baptism, going to church every Sunday, doing good works, thinking and saying nice things, etc., will not make you "born again. It's a "Spiritual" work done by the Holy Spirit, only after we have placed our faith in Christ as Lord and Savior and the Spirit comes into our life on a personal level...You seem to believe that your "works" gain you eternal life when in fact it is the "work" of the Holy Spirit that does the work of getting us saved and eligible for eternal life...If you have any doubts about your eternal destination, it may be because your not "born again Spiritually."

You are mistaken in your interpretation.

The Guarantee of inheritance is conditional upon several things. It is not dependent upon a "marking". Those who are found in Christ - known by obeying the law left to us by Christ - will be the ones to collect on that guarantee.

If you were correct, then Scriptures would be contradicting itself. Merely waving away one Scripture does not solve the problem.

You did not address this:

For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, they are again entangled therein and overcome, the last state is become worse with them than the first. For it were better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than, after knowing it, to turn back from the holy commandment delivered unto them. 2 Peter 2:20-21.

Regards

Only the "born-again Spiritually" people are "guaranteed" salvation and eternal life...

I will call it "childish", since Scriptures do not make such one-time guarantees based upon a one moment declaration.

Simply put, the logic of the OSAS is double-speak. If you see a person who thinks he is Christian but is in sin - they become "never saved to begin with"...

SO MUCH for those last 20 years of faithful service to God... It was motivated by the devil. Sophistry.

Yes, indeed, those with fruit. Today. Not a strawberry picked 20 years ago. The person must be FRUITFUL - today - not just long time ago. Jesus is looking for a relationship NOW, not something from long ago that falls away as one chases after the flesh again...

However, one must note that even the person who picked one strawberry long ago STILL was saved, forgiven of sin, united to the death of Jesus through baptism. It IS Christ's death that saves, right? Correct me if I am misreading you, but it appears that now, one must constantly prove that Jesus' work was applied to you long ago... If you fail to do so, live a nearly faultless life in Christ, then that is evidence that you were living a deluded life, thinking you were freed from sin the whole time, when you weren't...

Jesus makes the same statement about any believers, not just "false prophets". SOME people, say, the health and wealth gospel people, are lured away by mammon. That faith falls away, choked out by the ways of the world, since you cannot live in both effectively.

Those who obey the commandments can be sure that Christ abides in them, says John. Not because YOU SAY Christ is within you. Your actions prove Christ's work. Recall Matt 7:21...

Of course, I am morally certain that right now, Christ is abiding within me. It is manifest in how I act towards others. But even if I falter, it doesn't mean that TODAY'S action in Christ NEVER HAPPENED!!!

Yea, sophistry...

Regards

The Bible states, 1 John 5:13---"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."

When we get saved and "born again" we are NOT automatically made sinless. We still have our "fleshly body" that is susceptible to sin...But, because of the Spirit's influence we are being made conformed to the image of Christ. This goes on our "entire" life as a believer. Will we sin along the way? Yes, we will. A person who say's he's born again but lives's a "lifestyle" of continued sin (without showing the fruits/works) of the Spirit, there's a reason to believe he was never saved at all... James speaks about works coming from the believers faith...

It is indeed about impartiality, you are right. The impartiality of JUDGMENT. Jews won't be the only ones going to heaven. God is the God of the Jews first and the Gentiles, as well. Those who are moved by God's Spirit to do good will be rewarded with eternal life. Jews won't get a special pass - and Gentiles have an opportunity to enter the Kingdom, as well.

Regards

Where do you see the Spirit of God in Romans 2?

I am not the only person seeing it this way. I am 99 % sure that francesdesales shares my view. Not to mention the fact that respected British theolgian NT Wright, arguably one of the top three living New Testament scholars, sees it the same way.

Please share with us a sentence of this form:

"A person "A" will be given a reward "B" according to what they have done"

....where it is not clear that criteria for getting the reward is, indeed, something that A has "done".

I will give an example from "my side" of this issue:

"My boss will give me a raise according to what I have done"

How can this possibly be read as "my boss will give me a raise on the basis of something other than what I have done"?

Here's the introduction to the Gospel.
Romans 1:15-17 said:
So, as much as in me is, {color=red=I am ready to preach the gospel to you[/color] that are at Rome also. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek. For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Here's where Paul picks up again with the Gospel.
Romans 3:21 said:
But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;

For those verses in between to be speaking about the way of salvation without a mention of Christ and the Cross stretches all credibility. Those verses in between are speaking of the law of works, the wrath of God revealed, and the Justice of God.

Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man...(no excuse)
Judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things. (judgment rightly falls)
And thinkest thou this, O man....that thou shalt escape the judgment of God? (shall not escape judgment)
Not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? (stop presuming)
Treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;
(storing up wrath)

Now, after all the above, you want to jump into how certain ones can be saved by....what?

Where's the cross? Nothing has been mentioned about being justified by faith, or the Cross.

I'm not a scholar, but even I can see a big hole in your theory.

Yea, sophistry...

Regards

The commandments (the law) was delivered to the "House of Israel" never was it delivered to the gentiles...We're not "encumbered" by the law...

I can see why you're confused, Joe. We are not saved by His death, we are reconciled to God by His death.

Romans 5:10 - "For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life."

We who go on to be raised into newness of life, by being filled with the Holy Spirit (Spirit baptism), are saved by His LIFE. Without the resurrection there would be no "Body" of Christ (the church of the believers), which we are when we come by faith ("For we are members of his body")

The verse goes on... "MUCH MORE, being reconciled, we shall be saved by His LIFE. We must take part in Christ's resurrection by being born of God by the Spirit.

francisdesales said:

Well, you did make your point, but it's simply not a point of view that is supported by Scripture. People aren't saved unless they produce real fruit (not artificial, man manipulated fruit.) Ye shall know them by their fruits.

You seem to assume God doesn't know how to chasten his sons or pull them out of a pit. He's a bad Father, and He fails to keep those who come to Him by faith in His righteous blood. I know otherwise. He is a wonderful Shepherd who gives full assurance to those who are His.

Now that we're reconciled, and born of God, we are hid WITH CHRIST IN GOD.

We have no fear of being "let go" because the Spirit gives witness to ours that we have been sealed by God as His adopted sons. It's called the "keeping power" of God. So, if you want to believe those who claim they are saved, but their "fruit dried up" years ago, then you have more faith in the power of the world and the power of satan than you do in the power of God.

francisdesales said:

No, "actions" don't prove anything. Men can fool other men by thier multitude works of good will. Man can be fooled. Only the Spiritual Fruit tells the story where man can see it....(justified before men.)

francisdesales said:

Being "morally certain" is not enough. You must be "spiritually certain", and you'll only find that "spiritual certainty" if you are overflowing with assurance from within. Christ is in us...we are in Christ...it's a LIFE CHANGER.

And with all due respect, Joe, I don't actually see any of that real fruit in your posts.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Do you recognize yourself in this list?

Gentleness, meekness, not provoking one another, etc. (If not, it's only a goat dressed up in sheep's clothing.)

Gal. 5: 22-26 said:
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.

The commandments (the law) was delivered to the "House of Israel" never was it delivered to the gentiles...We're not "encumbered" by the law...

Amen :thumbsup

francisdesales spoke of "commandments" as referred to by John.

The commandments John speaks of are not the works of any law...moral or written down.
They are not burdensome, but easy and light.

Here they are.....

1. Believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ.

2. Love one another.

John 3:22-24 said:
And whatsoever we ask, we receive of him, because we keep his commandments, and do those things that are pleasing in his sight. And this is his commandment, That we should believe on the name of his Son Jesus Christ, and love one another, as he gave us commandment. And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

I can see why you're confused, Joe. We are not saved by His death, we are reconciled to God by His death.

Romans 5:10 - "For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life."

We who go on to be raised into newness of life, by being filled with the Holy Spirit (Spirit baptism), are saved by His LIFE. Without the resurrection there would be no "Body" of Christ (the church of the believers), which we are when we come by faith ("For we are members of his body")

The verse goes on... "MUCH MORE, being reconciled, we shall be saved by His LIFE. We must take part in Christ's resurrection by being born of God by the Spirit.

Well, you did make your point, but it's simply not a point of view that is supported by Scripture. People aren't saved unless they produce real fruit (not artificial, man manipulated fruit.) Ye shall know them by their fruits.

You seem to assume God doesn't know how to chasten his sons or pull them out of a pit. He's a bad Father, and He fails to keep those who come to Him by faith in His righteous blood. I know otherwise. He is a wonderful Shepherd who gives full assurance to those who are His.

Now that we're reconciled, and born of God, we are hid WITH CHRIST IN GOD.

We have no fear of being "let go" because the Spirit gives witness to ours that we have been sealed by God as His adopted sons. It's called the "keeping power" of God. So, if you want to believe those who claim they are saved, but their "fruit dried up" years ago, then you have more faith in the power of the world and the power of satan than you do in the power of God.

No, "actions" don't prove anything. Men can fool other men by thier multitude works of good will. Man can be fooled. Only the Spiritual Fruit tells the story where man can see it....(justified before men.)

Being "morally certain" is not enough. You must be "spiritually certain", and you'll only find that "spiritual certainty" if you are overflowing with assurance from within. Christ is in us...we are in Christ...it's a LIFE CHANGER.

And with all due respect, Joe, I don't actually see any of that real fruit in your posts.

Perhaps I'm wrong. Do you recognize yourself in this list?

Gentleness, meekness, not provoking one another, etc. (If not, it's only a goat dressed up in sheep's clothing.)

Praise God for giving you such wisdom and faith in Him, Glory...AMEN!!!!!!!

Amen :thumbsup

francisdesales spoke of "commandments" as referred to by John.

The commandments John speaks of are not the works of any law...moral or written down.
They are not burdensome, but easy and light.

Here they are.....

1. Believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ.

AMEN!!!

2. Love one another.

AMEN!!!!

Only the "born-again Spiritually" people are "guaranteed" salvation and eternal life...

Those who remain in Christ are guaranteed eternal life. Not just because you were 'born again'. That is a requirement to receive the guarantee, the inheritance - but there are other requirements, as well - such as persevering to the end...

And ye shall be hated of all men for my name’s sake: but he that endureth to the end, the same shall be saved. Mark 13:13

Going to heaven is more than a one time faith declaration!

Regards

Where do you see the Spirit of God in Romans 2?

13for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified: 14(for when Gentiles that have not the law do by nature the things of the law, these, not having the law, are the law unto themselves; 15in that they show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness therewith, and their thoughts one with another accusing or else excusing them ); 16in the day when God shall judge the secrets of men, according to my gospel, by Jesus Christ

Are you suggesting someone or something ELSE wrote the Law of God in their hearts and enabled them to do those good deeds?

Regards

Those who remain in Christ are guaranteed eternal life. Not just because you were 'born again'. That is a requirement to receive the guarantee, the inheritance - but there are other requirements, as well - such as persevering to the end...

And ye shall be hated of all men for my name’s sake: but he that endureth to the end, the same shall be saved. Mark 13:13

Going to heaven is more than a one time faith declaration!

Regards

Those who are "truly" "born again" ARE the only ones that are guaranteed eternal life...The only requirement is, Acts 16:31---"And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house." Faith is the ONLY requirement, Christ did ALL of the work, we MUST place our faith, that's ALL...If you so choose to follow the law, do good works, go to church regularly, follow the mandates of your church, try on your own (without the Spirit) to live a holy life, etc,. that is your choice...But, if your, not "born again Spiritually" you will someday stand before God and be "judged" according to your "works" and as the word says, you'll be cast into the "lake of fire." Check out Revelation 20:15---"And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire." Those names not found, are those who did not place their faith in Christ, but, trusted in something else, like their own good works etc...

Back