Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Bible Study Scripture required?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
wow, that will be a long read.

"The soul, for the immediate vision of God, requires the light of glory." <-- I don't know for sure what this means.

"The divine attributes are really identical among themselves and with the Divine Essence." Verse?
How would you distinguish one from another? I see no reason for them to be "identical".

"God is absolutely simple" WHAT? What does this mean??
TWICE (so far) the dogma says "God is incomprehensible" . So if God is "ABSOLUTELY simple" then how can He be incomprehensible at the same time??

Not to mention the lack of a verse backing "ABSOLUTELY" simple.

JAMES 1:8
" being a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways."

Catholicism unstable!!

So from the outset we see conflicting ideas.

"God is absolute veracity."
What does the phrase mean?
What Scripture backs this? (dont use douay rheims)

"God is absolute ontological goodness in Himself and in relation to others."
I agree that God is good, but this phrase puts in too many words. Again, Where is the verse/s??? God is love (1 John 4:8 ) but i remember nowhere where He IS any other of His attributes.
what does the phrase, "absolute ontological goodness" mean??

"God is absolute benignity."

Define "absolute benignity." and give the verse.

Seems like the catholics are just using fancy words to say "God is good." Note: Christians typically use 'good' as an adjective.
But there is so much more material added, one has to wonder if extraBiblical ideas are being promoted.

"God loves Himself of necessity, but loves and wills the creation of extra-divine things, on the other hand, with freedom."

Does this imply that God is limited? He could choose to not love Himself, right? But He wants to keep loving Himself.

Meaning and verse needed.

"The Second Divine Person proceeds from the First Divine Person by generation...."
What does this mean?
Jesus never began to exist because He ALWAYS existed! So the text in orange should NOT be used against Jesus' eternality.

I'll write more, probably.
Only begotten of the father

I would have to ask if you completely omit the section in 20:4 concerning graven images, and if so, then why? I cannot see any real reason to separate the coveting sections other than to brush away the graven image command and still be able to call them the 10 commandments as most of the church has called them for a very long time. If I am being frankly honest with you without knowing the intents, it seems to me to be an attempt to omit a certain element of what we call the 10 commandments while still being able to call them so, in practical effect changing the commandments.

I made mention of Saul / Paul as being a possible exception to the general rule already I believe. Saul did have a very unique thing happen, as Jesus appeared to Him personally in all His glory on the way to damascus. This to me is another case of "the exception does not invalidate the rule." I believe we will enter a time before the day of the Lord arrives where a final batch of real apostles will rise up and correct the churches back to the original teachings, these people obviously won't have known Jesus in His earthly ministry, however they will be marked by real and tangible, provable power, with the word of God on their lips. My main point here is this second bit, that real apostles called by God and not called apostles by themselves or man or any church are marked by that kind of power, Jesus Himself being the one who called them and making that evident.

I'm not familiar, but if it is a song encouraging worship of Venus then probably.
Really?
Listen to it in you tube
It was very popular when it came out

Not trying to delete anything
But scripture does not list the commandments

So why do certain groups say for example graven images are forbidden in the 2nd commandment?

There is no 2nd commandment in scripture

The church Decided on a list of commandments as follows

Ten Commandments

Ex 20

Scripture has no list (1, 2, 3, etc.) of the Ten Commandments

According to subject matter or context:

First commandment: ex 20:2-6
One God

Second commandment: ex 20:7
God’s name

Third commandment: ex 20:8-11
God’s original sabbath

Fourth commandment: ex 20:12
Parents

Fifth commandment: ex 20:13
Murder

Sixth commandment: ex 20:14
Adultery

Seventh commandment: ex 20:15
Theft

Eighth commandment: ex 20:16
Lying

Ninth commandment: ex 20:17
Coveting

Separating the two about coveting makes sense!

Ninth: Thou shalt not covet Thy neighbors goods.

Tenth: Thou shalt not covet Thy neighbor’s wife.

Thks

Really?
Listen to it in you tube

So why do certain groups say for example graven images are forbidden in the 2nd commandment?

Ten Commandments

Ex 20

One God

God’s name

God’s original sabbath

Parents

Murder

Adultery

Theft

Lying

Coveting

Thks
Wel I have no need to listen on YouTube when I have a written book, I will stick to that thanks.

As far as having the coveting sections split I've never heard of that untill reading your messages, and no it doesn't make sense. The command is to not covet and then it goes into what that entails, basically saying not to covet anything even your neighbors wife. This is all under one command, don't covet.

20 And God spake all these words, saying,

2 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

13 Thou shalt not kill.

14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

15 Thou shalt not steal.

16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

18 And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off.

Wel I have no need to listen on YouTube when I have a written book, I will stick to that thanks.

As far as having the coveting sections split I've never heard of that untill reading your messages, and no it doesn't make sense. The command is to not covet and then it goes into what that entails, basically saying not to covet anything even your neighbors wife. This is all under one command, don't covet.

20 And God spake all these words, saying,

2 I am the Lord thy God, which have brought thee out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

4 Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5 Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;

6 And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

7 Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain; for the Lord will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

8 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

9 Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work:

10 But the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates:

11 For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

12 Honour thy father and thy mother: that thy days may be long upon the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee.

13 Thou shalt not kill.

14 Thou shalt not commit adultery.

15 Thou shalt not steal.

16 Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

17 Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

18 And all the people saw the thunderings, and the lightnings, and the noise of the trumpet, and the mountain smoking: and when the people saw it, they removed, and stood afar off.
But there is no listing? So who decides which commandment is which?

It's pretty easy to infer, one doesn't need a church to imbue a measure of reasoning, but this is beside the original points anyway.
Then According to subject or context ex 20:2-6 would be the first commandment?

The identity of the child is unknown. Catholics ASSUME the identity, they can't even show it.

Assertion, not fact.

Rev 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Who is this person?

Scripture.
NOT men.
Even Christians/apostles/etc. are MEN.
the 10 Commands were gotten from the BIBLE , not human assumptions.
Just see the verses.
Why is there no list then of the Ten Commandments?

Ex 20 has the content but not a listing???

Rev 19:11 And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Who is this person?
Still no evidence that your identicifcation (that comes from a CATHOLIC starting point!!) of the child and the woman are correct

Still no evidence that your identicifcation (that comes from a CATHOLIC starting point!!) of the child and the woman are correct
That is Christ and verse

15 And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

Rule rod of iron sounds familiar

Rev 12:5 And she brought forth a man child, who was to rule all nations with a rod of iron: and her child was caught up unto God, and to his throne.

Mary is His mother!

The reigning queen of heaven!

queen of heaven!
Dont see how the above verses make the identity of the woman clear. Sounds more like questionbegging from Catholicism.

I can link Genesis 1 and a chapter from Revelation to assert that the serpent was a dragon, and that could have the same weight, right?
No such thing as queen of heaven, thats a UnBiblical evidence-free idea, nobody observed any genuine heaven queens.

Why do you think God's Kingdom operates like a humans kingdom?? How odd.

Isaiah 42:8
"“I am the Lord, that is My name; I will not give My glory to another, Nor My praise to graven images."

The giant nail in the catholicism coffin.

Really?
Listen to it in you tube

Ten Commandments

Ex 20

One God

God’s name

God’s original sabbath

Parents

Murder

Adultery

Theft

Lying

Coveting

Thks
Notice how you ommitted the Command no graven images. hmmmm.
Why? Dont covet PERIOD. I doubt redundancy there makes sense.

Notice how you ommitted the Command no graven images. hmmmm.
Why? Dont covet PERIOD. I doubt redundancy there makes sense.
There are supposed to be Ten Commandments

Not 9

One God

Includes the prohibition of graven “worshiped” images

Images per se are not forbidden

With the coming of Christ there is a new covenant and a new concept of image cos he is the image of the invisible God!

Thanks

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back