Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Self-improvement : sin ?

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00

dave91

Wanting to be good at something, is it a sin ? Is it a sin to compete in something ? Because the goal is to be better than your opponent, that's unavoidable. So if you want to be better than your opponent, isn't it a way to glorify yourself ? And in glorifying oneself, isn't it a sin ? How can you compete at something without having a certain pride of wanting to be good ?

Wanting to be good at something, is it a sin ? Is it a sin to compete in something ? Because the goal is to be better than your opponent, that's unavoidable. So if you want to be better than your opponent, isn't it a way to glorify yourself ? And in glorifying oneself, isn't it a sin ? How can you compete at something without having a certain pride of wanting to be good ?
Hello dave91.
When the glory of God is the center of whatever we do, then we'll be "good" at it. 😊

whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1Cor.10:31

Hello dave91.
When the glory of God is the center of whatever we do, then we'll be "good" at it. 😊

whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1Cor.10:31
That's exactly why I was asking the question. When I compete in a sport, my goal is to enjoy myself... and to win. It's not about being arrogant, being vain... And if I lose, I am a good loser and I have no problem admitting my opponent is better than me. But on the other hand, my goal is to win, still. So since you want to win, there will always be a part of you that wants to glorify yourself, right ? So wanting to win, in itself, I feel like it's a sin. And it's not just in sports, but in anything actually. I feel like wanting to be good at something is a sin, because I don't see any way of wanting to have any kind of talent without having any form of pride. I feel like anything I do is a sin, except when I spend time with God and serve Him.

That's exactly why I was asking the question. When I compete in a sport, my goal is to enjoy myself... and to win. It's not about being arrogant, being vain... And if I lose, I am a good loser and I have no problem admitting my opponent is better than me. But on the other hand, my goal is to win, still. So since you want to win, there will always be a part of you that wants to glorify yourself, right ?
No. We should want God to be glorified in whatever we choose to do. If a follower of Jesus is a great chef, or musician, etc. we should let this world know that God gave us all the means to do whatever it is we do,

He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him. Jn.7:18
So wanting to win, in itself, I feel like it's a sin. And it's not just in sports, but in anything actually. I feel like wanting to be good at something is a sin, because I don't see any way of wanting to have any kind of talent without having any form of pride. I feel like anything I do is a sin, except when I spend time with God and serve Him.
Be proud to tell people what God has done for us. Use the platform of our talent to tell others that we're nothing without him,

For who makes you different from anyone else? What do you have that you did not receive? And if you did receive it, why do you boast as though you did not? 1Cor.4:7

That's exactly why I was asking the question. When I compete in a sport, my goal is to enjoy myself... and to win. It's not about being arrogant, being vain... And if I lose, I am a good loser and I have no problem admitting my opponent is better than me. But on the other hand, my goal is to win, still. So since you want to win, there will always be a part of you that wants to glorify yourself, right ? So wanting to win, in itself, I feel like it's a sin. And it's not just in sports, but in anything actually. I feel like wanting to be good at something is a sin, because I don't see any way of wanting to have any kind of talent without having any form of pride. I feel like anything I do is a sin, except when I spend time with God and serve Him.

The principle you need to understand is this: There was a New Testament teaching that said, "Let him who boasts boast in the Lord." That means that we do have a boast we can have over what Christ has made us in Him, but it's indirectly a boast about what our God has done, not just about what we are in and of ourselves.

Think of the athletes who sincerely give glory to God when they are interviewed after a victory. It's the same principle. You are boasting in Him for what He has made you, not what you are or ever would be without Him.

I get it, but if I want to win, that means that I want to be better than my opponent... so isn't the fact that i want to be better than my opponent is a sin ? I'm not saying that I can't lose. As I said, if I lose, I have no problem admitting my opponent was better than me. But initially, whenever you start a match of anything, your goal is to win. So if your goal is to win, that means that you want to be better than your opponent, you want to defeat Him. Isn't it a lack of humility to want to be good at something, to be better than someone at something, even if you thank God after a win ?

I get it, but if I want to win, that means that I want to be better than my opponent... so isn't the fact that i want to be better than my opponent is a sin ?

Kinda goes back to what Free said. Do you take it as proof of your superiority as a man, or simply that you were better at that particular event on that particular day? If you view it from the perspective that it is only Christ in you, manifesting Himself through you, and/or empowering you, then you have no boast in and of yourself. War is the ultimate sport, and there have been numerous battles where victory simply went to the one who had divine providence resting upon him, and God moved in his favor. Could you boast that it was "your" victory? The Devil will tell you to take all glory to yourself, and that's where I think the catch in your thinking still is.

There's nothing wrong with "competing" with one another in service to the Lord Jesus Christ, and Paul made references that we should do just that. Will we attain glory in ourselves? No one will. It will simply be a matter of who was used of God the most. But to NOT strive to do our best for God would be the sin, not the opposite.

Satan glorifies the self, and yet it's a deliberate deception to delude us. God glorifies us when we abide in Him, and it's a reality, and a glory that will last forever.

It can be in anything, but I was talking more specifically in sports. Let's say I play a normal tennis match with a friend. I don't mind if I lose, but ultimately, my goal is to perform the better as possible, and even to defeat my friend. So because of that, even over an ordinary tennis match with a friend, I feel like I'm sinning.

It can be in anything, but I was talking more specifically in sports. Let's say I play a normal tennis match with a friend. I don't mind if I lose, but ultimately, my goal is to perform the better as possible, and even to defeat my friend. So because of that, even over an ordinary tennis match with a friend, I feel like I'm sinning.
As long as you know you're not better than anyone, why feel that way?

Unless you’re embarking on some self absorbed journey into never ending self love and self help and self obsession…

I don’t see the sin? Put off the old put on the new…

Over time you’ll come to do more and more with Jesus in mind.

I think you're over thinking this. I don't think competing or improving yourself is a sin. You should always strive for improvement. As far as glory goes, well, you can take the glory yourself or give it to God. It's up to you.

I believe seeking self improvement too much is like believing that we alone are the makers of our lives and destiny.

But the bible says today is the day the Lord has made.

God is the author but we can have an active role and partake in the destiny God has made.

God is who makes everything work, but we as believers are necessary parts to make everything as it is supposed to be.

We can work on ourselves but ultimately we should not try to be more than who God has intended for us to be.

Have a blessed night :)

Paul wrote..."And if a man also strive for masteries, yet is he not crowned, except he strive lawfully." (2 Tim 2:5)
Use your victories, and failures, to the glory of God.
There is no sin in winning a race or catching a bigger fish or out bowling someone else.
Thank God for the skills He has endowed you with, and be a good sportsman.

I get it, but if I want to win, that means that I want to be better than my opponent... so isn't the fact that i want to be better than my opponent is a sin ? I'm not saying that I can't lose. As I said, if I lose, I have no problem admitting my opponent was better than me. But initially, whenever you start a match of anything, your goal is to win. So if your goal is to win, that means that you want to be better than your opponent, you want to defeat Him. Isn't it a lack of humility to want to be good at something, to be better than someone at something, even if you thank God after a win ?
Are you vying against seven year olds?
Even competition is fair competition.
If you can't compete with a clear conscience, quit competing.

How does wanting to be good at something mean one is proudful?

It's not glorifying yourself, it's living a full life.

The ATTITUDE one takes will include some pride in your good work. But Paul said in everything we do to do it well to the glory of God.

Just give God the glory.
How?
By declaring it!
By being the salt, the light.
Do your companions know you're Christian?
Like that.

Did Jesus say to stop living?
Did Paul tell the Thessalonians to get off the couch and get back to work?

The sin is NOT doing anything to further a good society.

This is not what Jesus meant by humble.
Do a small study on Matthew 5 the list of 8 beatitudes. Yes 8, not 9.
Humble persons are humble because they know they NEED GOD. This makes them humble,,,not trusting in their own ways, bit trusting in God instead. It humbles us in the face of such an awesome being as God.

Unless you’re embarking on some self absorbed journey into never ending self love and self help and self obsession…

I don’t see the sin? Put off the old put on the new…

Over time you’ll come to do more and more with Jesus in mind.
I used to be a very proud, self-centered person. Now that I've come back to God, I am trying to change that, but it seems impossible, and it obsesses me. As soon as I feel a positive feeling for myself, wheither it's from me or from others, I feel guilty. I'm like : "ok, is it a sin if I am proud for such thing, for such achievement?" When I get a compliment, I'm like "ok, should I be glad for getting that compliment, or it's pride and I'm sinning ?". When I play a sport, I'm always wondering if I'm being too proud just because of the fact that I want to win, and that I want to perform well. I think some things like " Why do I want to be good at this ? What does it change wheither I'm good or bad? If I want to perform well and I do and I'm glad for this, does it become pride ? Am I vain ?".

Also, lately I have started to train again. It had been a long time since I hadn't trained, I lost a lots of muscle and I want to regain them. But why ? Wheither I'm skinny or muscular, should I really care about that ? Ok, training is good for the health, and I like to train.. You're gonna tell me that training is not a sin because it's healthy, and since our body belongs to God we should take care of it. But honestly, I when I train, I don't think about that at all. I just like to gain muscle, gain strenght, and it gives me the feeling that I push myself and it feels good, I like it. But isn't the fact that I want to be bigger and stronger a sin ? It's not an obsession at all, it's just a hobby, but somehow I feel like I'm sinning by wanting to be in a good shape. Because you don't need to be athletic to be healthy. You can have a skinny body, and you can even be a little fat, that doesn't prevent you from being healthy and living for a longtime, if you have a good lifestyle. So with that in mind, I sincerely wonder if training is a sin.

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back