Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study Should Christian women be able to teach Christian men?

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
That is what Paul taught in the Gentile Churches as a general rule. He taught that men should teach men in the Church setting.

Women were and are uniquely qualified to teach other women and to counsel them. Women have the role of teaching and raising children.

There were women who were disciples and in leadership roles in the Church, which included teaching.

At Joppa there was a certain disciple named Tabitha, which is translated Dorcas. This woman was full of good works and charitable deeds which she did. Acts 9:36

Disciples will eventually teach the things that Christ taught.

And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen. Matthew 28:18-20

• teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you;

2 John was written to a women who was in the role of leadership, most probably an apostle or pastor. She was teaching and training up people to walk in the truth and was instructed by John to emphasize teaching the doctrine of Christ.

To the elect lady and her children, whom I love in truth, and not only I, but also all those who have known the truth, because of the truth which abides in us and will be with us forever:
Grace, mercy, and peace will be with you from God the Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father, in truth and love.
I rejoiced greatly that I have found some of your children walking in truth, as we received commandment from the Father.
2 John 1-4

The disciples of Paul were referred to as his sons in the faith.

JLB
I’m sorry, I must have missed where Paul said only in Church settings. (Where two or more gather in His name).

I’m sorry, I must have missed where Paul said only in Church settings. (Where two or more gather in His name).

That’s ok it’s an honest mistake.

Let a woman learn in silence with all submission. And I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man, but to be in silence.
1 Timothy 2:11-12

Do you believe Paul meant that women are forbidden to speak at home?

JLB

Why would God contradict His Word?

1 Timothy 2:12 (NASB) But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.
Were you there when God spoke to me and gave me instruction! I would have never entered the ministry if God did not call me to serve Him.

This is something that caught my attention in my daily reading last week. I noticed that Paul used many terms including apostle, disciple, priest, bishop, elder, deacon, preacher, teacher, evangelist, and so forth and it got me wondering how those titles differ. This is what I found so far. It's still confusing.

In the following verses Paul seems to differentiate between apostle, preacher, and teacher but the differences must be subtle. My research seems to indicate that an apostle is a teacher who is sent to preach the gospel - like a missionary.

For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus, who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time, for which I was appointed a preacher and an apostle—I am speaking the truth in Christ and not lying—a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and truth.
1 Timothy 2:5-7 NKJV

Therefore do not be ashamed of the testimony of our Lord, nor of me His prisoner, but share with me in the sufferings for the gospel according to the power of God, who has saved us and called us with a holy calling, not according to our works, but according to His own purpose and grace which was given to us in Christ Jesus before time began, but has now been revealed by the appearing of our Savior Jesus Christ, who has abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, to which I was appointed a preacher, an apostle, and a teacher of the Gentiles.
2 Timothy 1:8-11 NKJV

In the following verse Paul seems to differentiate between apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers.

And He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers,
Ephesians 4:11 NKJV

In the following verse Paul seems to differentiate between bishops and deacons.

Paul and Timothy, bondservants of Jesus Christ, To all the saints in Christ Jesus who are in Philippi, with the bishops and deacons:
Philippians 1:1 NKJV

Paul also references deacons in 1 Timothy 3:8-13 NKJV but it's not defined how their roles differ from others except for their qualifications.

Likewise deacons must be reverent, not double-tongued, not given to much wine, not greedy for money, holding the mystery of the faith with a pure conscience. But let these also first be tested; then let them serve as deacons, being found blameless. Likewise, their wives must be reverent, not slanderers, temperate, faithful in all things. Let deacons be the husbands of one wife, ruling their children and their own houses well. For those who have served well as deacons obtain for themselves a good standing and great boldness in the faith which is in Christ Jesus.

The title "elder" was used throughout the Old and New Testaments. In the NT they were most often associated along with priests and scribes so they would seem to be something different.

In 1 Peter 5:1 Peter identifies himself as an elder even though we also know he was an apostle. Also in 2 John 1 and again in 3 John 1, John identifies himself as an elder and we also know he was an apostle.

I was unable to find a specific definition of what an elder is. Logically it seems to indicate an older person in the church or community but how is it defined? By age? By experience? By learning?
Thank you for taking the time to share this. There is much to try and understand about the differences. When you look them all up there are various views and opinions with very little facts being taught. Some say they are all the same while others say they are all different. It is a deeper study that I have only scratched the surface.

Were you there when God spoke to me and gave me instruction! I would have never entered the ministry if God did not call me to serve Him.
What are you doing here?
You are an administrator.
Is this God's calling?
Did he call you to be an administrator?

As such, you oversee mostly men and tell them they are wrong at will.
But if we say the same to you, we are out of line.
Is this what God has called you to do?

Do you pray to God before you ban someone?

What are you doing here?
You are an administrator.
Is this God's calling?
Did he call you to be an administrator?

As such, you oversee mostly men and tell them they are wrong at will.
But if we say the same to you, we are out of line.
Is this what God has called you to do?

Do you pray to God before you ban someone?
All things are done in prayer waiting for God to guide me. I work with the ToS, not against it. I am neither above or below anyone, but only trying to be a faithful servant of the Lord. It's not always easy to keep unity flowing in the discussions, but I do try my best to see that it does.

BTW, where in all of my post have I ever said anyone is wrong? I like, everyone else, am only giving what I understand. You know I go deep and use many scriptures. What are you doing here if not to give your points of views, opinions and understanding?

At this point of the thread I am bowing out as I have nothing more to give and will only reply if necessary.

No, but I wasn’t there when Allah spoke to Mohammed either. Anyone can claim anything but if it contradicts God’s Word, I reject it.

All things are done in prayer waiting for God to guide me. I work with the ToS, not against it. I am neither above or below anyone, but only trying to be a faithful servant of the Lord. It's not always easy to keep unity flowing in the discussions, but I do try my best to see that it does.

BTW, where in all of my post have I ever said anyone is wrong? I like, everyone else, am only giving what I understand. You know I go deep and use many scriptures. What are you doing here if not to give your points of views, opinions and understanding?
I am one who is not afraid to express myself, whether I am right or wrong.
I learn all the time too.
But I see you answering every question in every thread written by everyone.
I thought an administrator was to allow people to talk to one another and the administrator only steps in when necessary.
Yes, it can be lonely at the top.
Sort of like wisdom.
If no one understands, then who are you talking to?
As with wisdom, it can be lonely at the top.
But as you say, God has called you to this.
But is there room for improvement?
Is there room to listen to what others say about the matter?

Elders in the early Church certainly had a different meaning than elders in the local church today.

JLB
Please forgive me for stating that is not the point of this discussion. The comparison is Elders and Pastors. Not Elders today and Elders in the NTC. Please advise me if I have crossed swords with ToS here.

Why would God contradict His Word?

1 Timothy 2:12 (NASB) But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet.
My thoughts entirely. Some of the things that are claimed to be orchestrated by God are quite offensive. For example, The Metropolitan Community Church which is a church run by homosexuals for homosexuals claims divine approval.

So are we to say that if you believe God approves of your church, then we have to apporve as well. God forbid.

What I saying is what I said.
The way I understand it your answer is yes. I have to disagree, particularly today when women are able to study and get an education right along with men. This was not the case 2,000 years ago. At that time, women were treated like dogs and were not provided opportunity to study and get an education as Paul and other men of the day were.

The way I understand it your answer is yes. I have to disagree, particularly today when women are able to study and get an education right along with men. This was not the case 2,000 years ago. At that time, women were treated like dogs and were not provided opportunity to study and get an education as Paul and other men of the day were.
But the thing is whether it was 2000 years ago or 5000 years ago, the case remains the same, as Paul speaking through the Holy Spirit, links his case all the way back to Adam and Eve, thus transcending any cultural variations...

1 Timothy 2:12-14 (KJV) But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. For Adam was first formed, then Eve. And Adam was not deceived, but the woman being deceived was in the transgression.

In my extensive study of the New Testament Church, it was a God send for women. Under Roman rule women were chattels to be used and abused. Women who embraced the messiah, were given a new lease of life because in the church they were treated with dignity and respect.

In the NTC is is clear than men had certain roles and women had certain roles. We may criticise the fact but that happens when we look at the situation with 21st century eyes, which to be quite frank, is not a good judge of what is correct as too many things that the church does is no where to be found in scripture. So why would one look to the presnt day church for inspiration when all we have to do is read and study the scriptures, discover the secret of what made it so effectrive and then put things into practice.

Saying that is wrong or it happened because of this or that is not helpful for the simple reason one only has to ask how many churches do you know that has had 3,000 converts in one day?

Back