Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Should Christians Keep the Ten Commandments Today???

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
elijah23 said:
Yes, I believe we should obey the Ten Commandments. The Lord told the Israelites to obey them—what’s changed?

Jesus came...He brought a much higher standard. If we obey the Ten, we can still break the teaching of Jesus. For example...under the Old Covenant a married person was guilty of adultery by committing the physical act. Under the New, a married person is guilty of adultery simply by lusting in his or her heart, without even having committed the physical act. Under the Old Covenant murder was forbidden, but under the New whosoever even hates his brother is a murderer (1 Jn. 3:15).

We've been "delivered" from the law.
Romans 7:6 said:
But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter.
Christ, Himself, put an end to that which condemned, so we can walk in newness of life.
Romans 10:4 said:
For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to every one that believeth.
We now have a new and better Covenant...one the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, and the other written on our hearts. One to condemnation and the other to life.
2 Cor. 3:3-9 said:
3Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart. 4And such trust have we through Christ to God-ward: 5Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think any thing as of ourselves; but our sufficiency is of God; 6Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life. 7But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away: 8How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious? 9For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.

RND said:
Because the law is bondage.
So back to Joseph. Was Joseph in bondage because He obeyed God or was Joseph in bondage because of those that refused to obey God?
Funny you should bring up Joseph at all, since the stone law had not been given.
Joseph walked by faith, and obedience to God often brings persecution, so the point is moot.

[quote:2tncpcrh]The standard is love...
Even the publicans love each other. I'd say you don't know what the love of God is, then, if you think that.

the royal law, and as we allow the Spirit to work through us it becomes His fruit.
The royal law includes loving God. How do we love God by disobeying His Ten Commandments?
False point...we can keep the Ten and still not be righteous before the Lord.
You ask what standard the Holy Spirit uses as if you hope to trip me up. :biglaugh
No I've asked this several times and have yet to get a reasoned response. "Reasoned"...perhaps that's your problem. You're using your human understanding to understand the things of the Spirit.

The standard of God is always love. It's neither complicated nor mysterious.
Again, how is love manifested by disobeying the law of God?[/quote:2tncpcrh]

Again...false point. The law of God is love, and we can only keep it by allowing the Holy Spirit to manifest His love through us. You're the only one who keeps insisting there is disobedience involved at all. I obey Jesus, and have no problem separating the law that worketh death from the law of liberty that worketh unto life.

glorydaz said:
RND said:
So once we believe in Jesus we have nothing to do? No shut-ins to help? No hungry to feed? No sick to visit? No prisoners to assist?
When we go about doing works to secure our salvation, they are works that will be burned up in the last day.
Is that a reason for not doing good works? Notice I said ""once we believe in Jesus" so that is the qualifier.

[quote:aftozm6q]When we walk in the Spirit, and allow God to work through us, they then become His fruits...not our own. Those are a result of our work of faith...which is believing in Jesus Christ.
So what if someone believes as part of their faith they don't have to show forth works meet for repentance?

Eph. 2: 8-10 said:
For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: 9 Not of works, lest any man should boast. 10For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.
Is Paul saying here we don't have to do good works?

If we see no fruit ...by their fruits you will know them, then they may not be. Jesus is the only one who knows that. Maybe the man's "work" is prayer alone...others may not see the results, but that certainly doesn't mean the results aren't there.
We can thus never judge another man's servant.
No, they aren't "our works". Our works will be burned up....only those which come from our following the Spirit's direction will remain, and they are not ours...they are His.
Yes, they are our works because if the were God's then we would merely be His hand puppets. Our works glorify Him.

Mat 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

I praise the Lord we won't be judged by the works man sees, but by our work of faith in believing on our Savior....the results of which is the fruit of the Spirit within us. All glory is the Lord's...as it should be.
Is this a reason not to do good works then?
This is why Jesus is our rest...we no longer have to strive, in our own efforts, to perform to do good works.
Yet we still have good works to perform.

We simply obey His leading and allow Him to perform His work through us.
[/quote:aftozm6q] Sounds a lot like a useless religion then - I'll just let God do it.

glorydaz said:
Funny you should bring up Joseph at all, since the stone law had not been given. Joseph walked by faith, and obedience to God often brings persecution, so the point is moot.
So how did Joseph know that adultery was wrong and a sin?

I'd say you don't know what the love of God is, then, if you think that.
Oh, I'm fairly certain I know the love of God having experienced it! Tell me, do you love your enemies and those that would despitefully use you? When you do the 1 Cor 13 challenge do you get 100%?

False point...we can keep the Ten and still not be righteous before the Lord.
That's true. Is that a reason not to keep them however?
"Reasoned"...perhaps that's your problem. You're using your human understanding to understand the things of the Spirit.
Well in that you are a human I would suspect you'd give me a response I could understand based on the scriptures.

Again...false point.
In what way?

The law of God is love, and we can only keep it by allowing the Holy Spirit to manifest His love through us.
Exactly. We establish the law through faith. Now, is the TC part of the HS standards?

You're the only one who keeps insisting there is disobedience involved at all.
Well, if someone disobeys the word of God are they not considered lawless?

I obey Jesus, and have no problem separating the law that worketh death from the law of liberty that worketh unto life.
The law that worketh death is the Mosaic law, not the TC.

RND said:
I observe the sabbath every Friday at sunset to Saturday at sunset.

You travel on the Sabbath...that's breaking the Sabbath Law.
You sound like a Pharisee, the "do as I say, not as I do" crowd! You presume to tell another man's servant how to do his master's will but you don't know that servants' master's will! Incredible hubris!

There is nothing in the Torah that prevents travel on the sabbath.

I'm sure you can make up whatever rules you want...it's been done before.
Since we're no longer under the law, it doesn't matter to me what you do.
I would be careful throwing around the word "hubris", though, after what you've displayed on this thread. ;)
According to the Mosaic law every Israelite was forbidden to travel on the Sabbath day.

Exodus 16:29 "See, for the Lord hath given you the Sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day."

But there is also evidence that the Israelites were permitted to go a certain distance on that special day. For example they could visit the tabernacle and temple from any distance within the encampment or city.

Over the centuries the authorities within the rabbinical circles of Judaism found ways, from examining the miniscule details of the law, to increase the distance that an Israelite may travel on the Sabbath day. In ancient times they determined that one may travel on the Sabbath from within the city boundaries and this distance was fixed at 2,000 cubits. They based this on Joshua 3:4-5:

"And they commanded the people, saying, When you see the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God, and the priests the Levites bearing it, then ye shall remove from your place, and go after it. Yet there shall be a space between you and it, about 2,000 cubits by measure; come not near it, thay ye may know the way by which ye must go: for ye have not passed this way heretofore."

Then after some time the rabbis interpreted "place" to mean city so that it would be acceptable to travel 2,000 cubits outside his city limits on the Sabbath day. Then again later the Pharisees doubled the distance that one might travel by yet another minute detail. They inserted a rule that if one placed food preparations at another location, then that place figuratively became his abode and he may travel to there up to 2,000 cubits and then another 2,000 cubits which made the whole journey 4,000 cubits, or about 6,000 feet or a little over a mile. A cubit was around 18 inches (from forefinger to elbow), although the measurement differed during different periods of Hebrew history.

In New Testament times and soon after, the Pharisees found another legal fiction and stretched the distance for traveling on the Sabbath a little farther. They theorized that if a person was to travel 4,000 cubits on the Sabbath day, then he would also need to return and thus they allowed 8,000 cubits as the standard.

There are some mentions in the New Testament alluding to the Sabbath day's journey such as in:

Matthew 24:20: "But pray that your flight may not be in the winter, nor on the Sabbath day"

Acts 1:12: "Then they returned to Jerusalem from the Mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a Sabbath day's journey."

Jesus continually taught that the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath, and thus the authorities in Judaism were reproved by Jesus for misunderstanding the heart of the law and laying a heavy burden upon the people. He spoke with the authority of heaven when He said "The Son of man (apocolyptic redeemer of Daniel 7) is Lord of the Sabbath.

LOL!! So glorydaz, lets review... You are saying that to live by these precepts is bondage??:

You shall have no other gods before Me.

You shall not make for yourself a graven images

You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy

Honor your father and your mother

You shall not murder

You shall not commit adultery

You shall not steal

You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor

You shall not covet your neighbor's things

So, Im "in bondage" if I live by these principles?

Brother Lionel said:
LOL!! So glorydaz, lets review... You are saying that to live by these precepts is bondage??:

You shall have no other gods before Me.

You shall not make for yourself a graven images

You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain

Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy

Honor your father and your mother

You shall not murder

You shall not commit adultery

You shall not steal

You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor

You shall not covet your neighbor's things

So, Im "in bondage" if I live by these principles?
Hey, BL! :wave Yes, from what I gather from glorydaz perspective if you live by these principals you are surely in bondage!

glorydaz said:
I'm sure you can make up whatever rules you want...it's been done before.
Who would be better equipped to understand the rules? The one who obeys them or the one who doesn't?

Since we're no longer under the law, it doesn't matter to me what you do.
That's good.

I would be careful throwing around the word "hubris", though, after what you've displayed on this thread. ;)
I have yet to tell another man's servant what they are doing is wrong in this thread.

According to the Mosaic law every Israelite was forbidden to travel on the Sabbath day.
Are we still in the wilderness?

Exodus 16:29 "See, for the Lord hath given you the Sabbath, therefore he giveth you on the sixth day the bread of two days; abide ye every man in his place, let no man go out of his place on the seventh day."

But there is also evidence that the Israelites were permitted to go a certain distance on that special day. For example they could visit the tabernacle and temple from any distance within the encampment or city.
So it's clear this was for a specific time and place.

Over the centuries the authorities within the rabbinical circles of Judaism found ways, from examining the miniscule details of the law, to increase the distance that an Israelite may travel on the Sabbath day. In ancient times they determined that one may travel on the Sabbath from within the city boundaries and this distance was fixed at 2,000 cubits. They based this on Joshua 3:4-5:

"And they commanded the people, saying, When you see the ark of the covenant of the Lord your God, and the priests the Levites bearing it, then ye shall remove from your place, and go after it. Yet there shall be a space between you and it, about 2,000 cubits by measure; come not near it, thay ye may know the way by which ye must go: for ye have not passed this way heretofore."
So this was man telling other men how to obey God according to their way and not God's way. Interesting.

Then after some time the rabbis interpreted "place" to mean city so that it would be acceptable to travel 2,000 cubits outside his city limits on the Sabbath day. Then again later the Pharisees doubled the distance that one might travel by yet another minute detail. They inserted a rule that if one placed food preparations at another location, then that place figuratively became his abode and he may travel to there up to 2,000 cubits and then another 2,000 cubits which made the whole journey 4,000 cubits, or about 6,000 feet or a little over a mile. A cubit was around 18 inches (from forefinger to elbow), although the measurement differed during different periods of Hebrew history.
Traditions according to man and not the word of God.

In New Testament times and soon after, the Pharisees found another legal fiction and stretched the distance for traveling on the Sabbath a little farther. They theorized that if a person was to travel 4,000 cubits on the Sabbath day, then he would also need to return and thus they allowed 8,000 cubits as the standard.
Hence the moniker "sabbath's day journey."

There are some mentions in the New Testament alluding to the Sabbath day's journey such as in:

Matthew 24:20: "But pray that your flight may not be in the winter, nor on the Sabbath day"
I think this specifcally refers to praying that one's flight from Jerusalem during the seige would not fall on the sabbath day.

Acts 1:12: "Then they returned to Jerusalem from the Mount called Olivet, which is from Jerusalem a Sabbath day's journey."
That's right.

Jesus continually taught that the Sabbath was made for man and not man for the Sabbath,
Man, not just Jew.

and thus the authorities in Judaism were reproved by Jesus for misunderstanding the heart of the law
So true.

and laying a heavy burden upon the people.
That they wouldn't ouch themselves!Kinda like when someone that doesn't observe that sabbath calls someone that does a sabbath breaker because the don't keep the sabbath the way some that doesn't thinks they should!

He spoke with the authority of heaven when He said "The Son of man (apocolyptic redeemer of Daniel 7) is Lord of the Sabbath.
[/quote] Lord = authority. More properly, owner. Now, if we could just find the verse from Jesus that says, "forget the sabbath day, it's no longer Holy."

Brother Lionel said:
LOL!! So glorydaz, lets review... You are saying that to live by these precepts is bondage??: So, Im "in bondage" if I live by these principles?

It isn't what I say, it's what the Word says, and if you live by those principles you fail...they don't go far enough. Living by the Ten is taking the lazy way out ... following what Jesus taught is a higher road some aren't willing to take...preferring to obey the letter rather than the spirit of the law. I'm not saying this about you, or anyone else. I'm speaking of the principle taught us in the Word about being in bondage to the law.... the free woman and the bondwoman, the law, which was only our schoolmaster until the law of grace came in.
Ga. 4 said:
21Tell me, ye that desire to be under the law, do ye not hear the law? 22For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. 23But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. 24Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. 25For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her children. 26But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all. 27For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an husband. 28Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of promise. 29But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now. 30Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman. 31So then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.
The law brought man into bondage...those who justify their behavior by following the letter of the law are fallen from grace. Without grace, no man can keep the whole law.
Galatians 5 said:
1Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. 2Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. 3For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. 4Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace.
14For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

18But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.

RND said:
Hey, BL! :wave Yes, from what I gather from glorydaz perspective if you live by these principals you are surely in bondage!

You make a mockery of something you don't understand. If you are content to simply follow the Ten Commandments, then be my guest. It certainly frees you up from the higher calling Jesus taught.
Do you notice how easy it is to keep the 10 as opposed to what we are called to do? :nod
Matt. 5 said:
21Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:

22But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

23Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee;

24Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

25Agree with thine adversary quickly, whiles thou art in the way with him; lest at any time the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison.

26Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing.

27Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

28But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

29And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

30And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.

31It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:

32But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

33Again, ye have heard that it hath been said by them of old time, Thou shalt not forswear thyself, but shalt perform unto the Lord thine oaths:

34But I say unto you, Swear not at all; neither by heaven; for it is God's throne:

35Nor by the earth; for it is his footstool: neither by Jerusalem; for it is the city of the great King.

36Neither shalt thou swear by thy head, because thou canst not make one hair white or black.

37But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.

38Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

39But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

40And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.

41And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.

42Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

43Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

45That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

46For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

47And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

48Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Higher calling???

Is this included in Jesus' "higher calling"???

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 5:17

So if I take the Lord's name in vain, worship other God's, and bow down to statues, then I'm living in accordance to Jesus' "higher calling"?? C'mon now!!! You speak as if Jesus and the Ten Commandments are opposite to each each other but the bible teaches that Jesus helps you keep the commandments. This is not to be confused with keeping the commandments to obtain salvation because nothing can save us but the blood of Jesus. However, AFTER we are saved, then Jesus calls for us to live a certain way, i.e. in accordance to His commandments. Do you understand this concept my brother? We're not here to argue but to call your attention to observing God's law because that's what He wants - obedience...

Romans 14:5 - "One man regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Let each man be fully convinced in his own mind."

Matthew 12:8
8 “For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.†He is the LORD of the Sabbath because HE IS the Sabbath!!
Colossians 2:16–17
Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Romans 6:14–15 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.
What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be!

The Sabbath was never given to us, those in the New Covenant, Jesus kept the Sabbath because they were STILL under the law, when Jesus died and was resurrected He fufilled the law. How much more clearer do you need this?

RND said:
That they wouldn't ouch themselves!Kinda like when someone that doesn't observe that sabbath calls someone that does a sabbath breaker because the don't keep the sabbath the way some that doesn't thinks they should!

Now, if we could just find the verse from Jesus that says, "forget the sabbath day, it's no longer Holy."

Just because you have made a personal decision to try and follow the Sabbath Law, does not mean it wasn't meant only for the nation of Israel for a specific purpose...which our Lord did not keep and which He asked none of us to keep. You don't want to see, so, naturally, you dismiss any evidence given from the Word. You're forced to look to the Old Testament to support your belief that it's in effect for Christians. The Sabbath and the other ordinances were but a shadow of the Christ who was to come.
Col. 2:13-17 said:
13And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses; 14 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross; 15And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. 16Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the sabbath days: 17Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.
Here we see why the Jews were not allowed to enter into Christ's sabbath rest. While He was working, they hardened their hearts...still observing the Sabbath Law, I might add.
Heb. 3:6-11 said:
But Christ as a son over his own house; whose house are we, if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm unto the end. Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice, Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness: When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years. 1Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways. So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.)
Jesus is our Sabbath rest...we're to cease from our own works, and allow Him to work through us.
Hebrews 4:9-11 said:
There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief.

Brother Lionel said:
Higher calling???

Is this included in Jesus' "higher calling"???

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven." - Matthew 5:17

So if I take the Lord's name in vain, worship other God's, and bow down to statues, then I'm living in accordance to Jesus' "higher calling"?? C'mon now!!! You speak as if Jesus and the Ten Commandments are opposite to each each other but the bible teaches that Jesus helps you keep the commandments. This is not to be confused with keeping the commandments to obtain salvation because nothing can save us but the blood of Jesus. However, AFTER we are saved, then Jesus calls for us to live a certain way, i.e. in accordance to His commandments. Do you understand this concept my brother? We're not here to argue but to call your attention to observing God's law because that's what He wants - obedience...
We're to keep Jesus' commandments....not the stone law that was given to Moses.
Under the stone law, committing adultery was a sin.
Under Christ's commandments, looking at a woman with lust is a sin.
It's quite simple to see if you set aside your preconceived notions.

Brother Lionel said:
Are we therefore your enemy, because we tell you the truth?...

LOL...Sorry, brother, you aren't telling me the truth.
The truth is the Word of God, and you're a bit confused as to what that Word is.
Of course I don't consider you my enemy because you believe we're still under the stone law instead of under the law of grace and faith. I'm just trying to show you, from the Word, where you're mistaken.

We should be able to reason together using scripture instead of getting all defensive, though, shouldn't we?

DarcyLu said:
Romans 14:5 - "One man regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Let each man be fully convinced in his own mind."

8 “For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath.†He is the LORD of the Sabbath because HE IS the Sabbath!!
Colossians 2:16–17
Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon or a Sabbath day— things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

Romans 6:14–15 For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace.
What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? May it never be!

The Sabbath was never given to us, those in the New Covenant, Jesus kept the Sabbath because they were STILL under the law, when Jesus died and was resurrected He fufilled the law. How much more clearer do you need this?

So....were they under the Law as well??:

Luke 23:56
And they returned, and prepared spices and ointments; and rested the sabbath day according to the commandment.

Acts 17:2
And Paul, as his manner was, went in unto them, and three sabbath days reasoned with them out of the scriptures

Acts 13:42-44
And when the Jews were gone out of the synagogue, the Gentiles besought that these words might be preached to them the next sabbath. Now when the congregation was broken up, many of the Jews and religious proselytes followed Paul and Barnabas: who, speaking to them, persuaded them to continue in the grace of God. And the next sabbath day came almost the whole city together to hear the word of God.

DarcyLu said:

No.... He is Lord of the Sabbath, He isnt the Sabbath...

And this scripture does imply Jesus did away with the Sabbath. It implies just what it says - He is the creator of the universe, therefore the Lord over the Sabbath. Man does not need to add to or take away from the Sabbath because it was perfect in Eden because it came from a perfect God. Jesus address the man-made additions that the jews placed on the sabbath which turned it into a burden. But He did not imply that He came to do away with it or else this would fly in face of Matthew 5:17...

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back