Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Slain in the Spirit

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
awaken said:
XTruth said:
I was raised w this. I moved and go to a church w this practice (heavily). I see nothing in Scripture to validate this practice/teaching. I've read the references used by those in support of this practice and still... it refers to unregenerated men, or people having visions like Isaiah and John, or those falling forward on their face by their own power in fear of the Lord; however, nothing in Scripture that I've read mimics this. I mold my beliefs to the Word, not the other way around, so I question everything until I find the truth in the Word. I'm not speculating anyone's Christianity or salvation who has had this experience... my wife has too. I just want what the Holy Spirit has and no other spirits but His.

Replies please!!! :confused

God did cause some in the OT to go into a deep sleep..

"So the LORD God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man's ribs and closed up the place with flesh." (Genesis 2:21)

"As the sun was setting, Abram fell into a deep sleep, and a thick and dreadful darkness came over him. Then the LORD said to him, "Know for certain that your descendants will be strangers in a country not their own, and they will be enslaved and mistreated four hundred years."" (Genesis 15:12-13)

"So David took the spear and water jug near Saul's head, and they left. No one saw or knew about it, nor did anyone wake up. They were all sleeping, because the LORD had put them into a deep sleep." (1 Samuel 26:12)

In the NT these scriptures come to mind..
"There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it. His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes were white as snow. The guards were so afraid of him that they shook and became like dead men." (Matthew 28:2-4)

"So Judas came to the grove, guiding a detachment of soldiers and some officials from the chief priests and Pharisees. They were carrying torches, lanterns and weapons. Jesus, knowing all that was going to happen to him, went out and asked them, "Who is it you want?" "Jesus of Nazareth," they replied. "I am he," Jesus said. (And Judas the traitor was standing there with them.) When Jesus said, "I am he," they drew back and fell to the ground." (John 18:3-6)

"About noon, O king, as I was on the road, I saw a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, blazing around me and my companions. We all fell to the ground, and I heard a voice saying to me in Aramaic, 'Saul, Saul, why do you persecute me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.'" (Acts 26:13-14)

"About noon the following day as they were on their journey and approaching the city, Peter went up on the roof to pray. He became hungry and wanted something to eat, and while the meal was being prepared, he fell into a trance. He saw heaven opened and something like a large sheet being let down to earth by its four corners." (Acts 10:9-11)

"When I [Paul] returned to Jerusalem and was praying at the temple, I fell into a trance and saw the Lord speaking. 'Quick!' he said to me. 'Leave Jerusalem immediately, because they will not accept your testimony about me.'" (Acts 22:17-18)

"I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know--God knows. And I know that this man--whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows--was caught up to paradise. He heard inexpressible things, things that man is not permitted to tell. ... To keep me from becoming conceited because of these surpassingly great revelations, there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me." (2 Corinthians 12:2-4, 7)

Again, I have never experience this..but when I talk to those that have..they describe it like going into a trance. It could be..The frail human body can react by falling over or "going into a trance" or "going into a deep sleep" when the glory and majesty and power of God are manifested in some way. When the power of the Holy Spirit touches people who are standing up while receiving prayer, sometimes they fall to the ground. This is not to say it should happen every time someone receives prayer, because it doesn't appear to have happened very often in the New Testament. But it would be out of balance to say that this should never happen, because the above passages show that people can experience physical reactions at the manifested glory and power of God.
I hope awakened has open some of your eyes :)

Free said:
Mysteryman said:
And where are there records in scripture that the Holy Spirit causes some people to fall down when being ministered too,
To repeat myself:

That it isn't found in the Bible in no way means that it isn't of God.

Free that's very true...

Drunkness in the spirit is not in the Bible... Would you say this minister was filled with the Holy Spirit, possessed with a demon spirit, or just a plain idiot?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU9ZOINB ... re=related

I believe they also practiced "slain in the spirit" at their revival meetings and "holy laughter".
How can you distinguish the difference between what is from God verses what is from Satan if these people also practice and manifest the same things?

archangel_300 said:
Free said:
Mysteryman said:
And where are there records in scripture that the Holy Spirit causes some people to fall down when being ministered too,
To repeat myself:

Free that's very true...

Drunkness in the spirit is not in the Bible... ?
Actually this is not true, drunkeness in the Spirit is found in scripture.

Acts 2
15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.
16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh:

Peter didn't say they weren't drunk, he said they were not drunk as you suppose.

Ephesians 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
Here Paul tells us to not use wine to get drunk, but use the Spirit.

archangel_300 said:
Free said:
Mysteryman said:
To repeat myself:

Free that's very true...

Drunkness in the spirit is not in the Bible... Would you say this minister was filled with the Holy Spirit, possessed with a demon spirit, or just a plain idiot?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU9ZOINB ... re=related

I believe they also practiced "slain in the spirit" at their revival meetings and "holy laughter".
How can you distinguish the difference between what is from God verses what is from Satan if these people also practice and manifest the same things?
Spiritual discernment and maturity. My point was one of logic, nothing more.

Mysteryman said:
Hi awaken

To willfully reverance is different than being slain in the Spirit, which is the topic of this thread.

So I will ask this question again, and high light the importance of the question being asked >

And where are there records in scripture that the Holy Spirit causes some people to fall down when being ministered too, who are not possessed with devil spirits ?[/

Most of the scriptures given...was God not speaking to some of those in a trance. I would consider that being ministered too.

awaken said:
Mysteryman said:
Hi awaken

To willfully reverance is different than being slain in the Spirit, which is the topic of this thread.

So I will ask this question again, and high light the importance of the question being asked >

And where are there records in scripture that the Holy Spirit causes some people to fall down when being ministered too, who are not possessed with devil spirits ?[/

Most of the scriptures given...was God not speaking to some of those in a trance. I would consider that being ministered too.

Hi awaken

I think you are missing the point. God can cause someone to go blind, like with Saul who became Paul. But no person did any ministering when this happened. But we do know that in Acts chaper 9 , that Jesus told Saul to go and it shall be told thee what to do. And we know that Jesus told Ananias in a vision, to go into the street called Straight. And to inquire of one called Saul. And that he (Saul - Paul) prayeth. Then in verse 12 it tells us that Saul saw in a vision also, of one named Ananias coming in and putting his hands on him , that he might receive his sight. And as we continue to read and in verse 17 & 18 we see Ananias lay hands on Saul and his eyes received their sight. Then in verse 18 it states ---- "and arose". < This record is of one ministering to another by the will of God. Both received a vision, which were exactly the same = established. And Saul/Paul did not fall down ! He arose !

Being slain in the spirit is devilish . It causes deception and sometimes devil spirit possession. Even if only temporary. Or if just for the purpose to deceive.

Bless - MM

Mysteryman said:
awaken said:
Mysteryman said:
Hi awaken

Hi awaken

I think you are missing the point. God can cause someone to go blind, like with Saul who became Paul. But no person did any ministering when this happened. But we do know that in Acts chaper 9 , that Jesus told Saul to go and it shall be told thee what to do. And we know that Jesus told Ananias in a vision, to go into the street called Straight. And to inquire of one called Saul. And that he (Saul - Paul) prayeth. Then in verse 12 it tells us that Saul saw in a vision also, of one named Ananias coming in and putting his hands on him , that he might receive his sight. And as we continue to read and in verse 17 & 18 we see Ananias lay hands on Saul and his eyes received their sight. Then in verse 18 it states ---- "and arose". < This record is of one ministering to another by the will of God. Both received a vision, which were exactly the same = established. And Saul/Paul did not fall down ! He arose !

Being slain in the spirit is devilish . It causes deception and sometimes devil spirit possession. Even if only temporary. Or if just for the purpose to deceive.

Bless - MM
Well..again..I have never experience what most call "slain in the spirit"...but I do have friends that have and I do not see them making up what they have experienced.

I can not discern either way right now...but I have learned in the past...not to say it is not of God until he confirms one way or the other. The more I learn of the Holy Spirit...He is like the wind..and is capable of more than this mind can understand..

MM said:
Based on...?

Free said:
MM said:
Based on...?

HI

Well, to begin with, the phrase "being slain in the Spirit" is not biblical. And what we are dealing with here, is a christian minister ministering to christians. The Word of God tells us, that God did not give us the Spirit of fear, but of power, love and of a sound mind.

If there is any indication that someone is not in their sound mind because of this ministering of being slain in the Spirit. Then it is obviously clear, that this is not of the one true God !

When someone falls as if they are dead. The only record of being ministered too, is when Jesus cast out many devil spirits out of a young man, and he fell as if he were dead. This falling as if he were dead, is a result of being cleansed from the exhaustion of being possessed. There is no peace while one is possessed with a devil spirit, or especially with many devil spirits.

All other healings show no examples of falling down. The Holy Spirit does not possess. So because of this , a person being healed should not show any signs of being possessed or out of control, or having a lack of one's physical or mental abilities.

Visions are one thing, but even then, these are not possessions. Nor does anyone fall down because a power of the Holy Spirit has overtaken them. God just does not work this way.

Even with Jonah, he sent a whale, when Jonah did not go into Ninevah when God told him to go. Revelations and visions are actually the same. They reveal. They do not take you over. Or cause you to go out of control, or loose your ability to use one's free will. God never oversteps one's free will. Even after God had the whale spew out Jonah , Jonah could still have disobeyed God if he wanted too.

Peter received in a vision to go to the gentile house of Cornelius. But neither Jonah, nor Peter were being ministered too. Actually God was sending both Jonah and Peter to minister, not the other way around.

Spiritual discernment will open one's eyes to this being slain in the Spirit stuff, being devilish and of the table of devils. This is why I say, that being slain in the Spirit is devilish. Most of it is for show, and for the purpose to deceive. We should be calling this -- "fasle healings", by false ministers.

God can show visions without this kind of laying on of hands. And I know that some don't even lay on hands. They just claim the power of God in them and put their hands up and people fall over. All devilish !

Mysteryman said:
Free said:
MM said:
Based on...?

HI

Well, to begin with, the phrase "being slain in the Spirit" is not biblical. And what we are dealing with here, is a christian minister ministering to christians. The Word of God tells us, that God did not give us the Spirit of fear, but of power, love and of a sound mind.

If there is any indication that someone is not in their sound mind because of this ministering of being slain in the Spirit. Then it is obviously clear, that this is not of the one true God !

When someone falls as if they are dead. The only record of being ministered too, is when Jesus cast out many devil spirits out of a young man, and he fell as if he were dead. This falling as if he were dead, is a result of being cleansed from the exhaustion of being possessed. There is no peace while one is possessed with a devil spirit, or especially with many devil spirits.

All other healings show no examples of falling down. The Holy Spirit does not possess. So because of this , a person being healed should not show any signs of being possessed or out of control, or having a lack of one's physical or mental abilities.

Visions are one thing, but even then, these are not possessions. Nor does anyone fall down because a power of the Holy Spirit has overtaken them. God just does not work this way.

Even with Jonah, he sent a whale, when Jonah did not go into Ninevah when God told him to go. Revelations and visions are actually the same. They reveal. They do not take you over. Or cause you to go out of control, or loose your ability to use one's free will. God never oversteps one's free will. Even after God had the whale spew out Jonah , Jonah could still have disobeyed God if he wanted too.

Peter received in a vision to go to the gentile house of Cornelius. But neither Jonah, nor Peter were being ministered too. Actually God was sending both Jonah and Peter to minister, not the other way around.

Spiritual discernment will open one's eyes to this being slain in the Spirit stuff, being devilish and of the table of devils. This is why I say, that being slain in the Spirit is devilish. Most of it is for show, and for the purpose to deceive. We should be calling this -- "fasle healings", by false ministers.

God can show visions without this kind of laying on of hands. And I know that some don't even lay on hands. They just claim the power of God in them and put their hands up and people fall over. All devilish !
And so I must ask again: Based on...?

Based on...?[/quote]

HI

God can show visions without this kind of laying on of hands. And I know that some don't even lay on hands. They just claim the power of God in them and put their hands up and people fall over. All devilish ![/quote]
And so I must ask again: Based on...?[/quote]

Biblical exegesis

watchman F said:
[quote="archangel_300":1g1tg3f3]
Drunkness in the spirit is not in the Bible... ?

Actually this is not true, drunkeness in the Spirit is found in scripture.

Acts 2
15 For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.
16 But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh:

Peter didn't say they weren't drunk, he said they were not drunk as you suppose.

Ephesians 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
Here Paul tells us to not use wine to get drunk, but use the Spirit.[/quote:1g1tg3f3]

No actually it isn't. The passage you are referring to is the gift of speaking in tongues.
The apostles spoke in another language so it "appeared" they were drunk when in fact they were each speaking a different language. They spoke about the wonderful works of God and those around them heard the gospel being preached in their own native language. This demonstrated that the gospel of salvation was to go out into all the earth as a witness/testimony.

No one was ever John Scotland like drunk.

Mysteryman said:
Free said:
Mysteryman said:
HI

Biblical exegesis
No. You first stated: "Being slain in the spirit is devilish . It causes deception and sometimes devil spirit possession. Even if only temporary. Or if just for the purpose to deceive." I asked what that was based on.

Since the Bible is silent on the matter, you cannot rationally say what you have said. You have clearly done eisegesis, not exegesis.

God can show visions without this kind of laying on of hands. And I know that some don't even lay on hands. They just claim the power of God in them and put their hands up and people fall over. All devilish ![/quote]
And so I must ask again: Based on...?[/quote]

Biblical exegesis[/quote]
No. You first stated: "Being slain in the spirit is devilish . It causes deception and sometimes devil spirit possession. Even if only temporary. Or if just for the purpose to deceive." I asked what that was based on.

Since the Bible is silent on the matter, you cannot rationally say what you have said. You have clearly done eisegesis, not exegesis.[/quote]

Hi

Actually, I have shown that the bible is not silent on this matter. If you take everything that the bible offers pertaining to ministering to one another. You can not find anyone being slain in the Spirit.

MM said:
Actually, I have shown that the bible is not silent on this matter. If you take everything that the bible offers pertaining to ministering to one another. You can not find anyone being slain in the Spirit.
Please tell me you are trying to be funny. In one breath you state that "the Bible is not silent on this matter" and then "you cannot find anyone being slain in the Spirit." That last comment is precisely what is meant when the Bible is silent on a matter, and in particular this matter.

To say that because the Bible has no example of someone being slain in the Spirit that that means it is not of God is fallacious, it is error. It also means that you know everything God will and will not do and that he fits inside of the nice little box you have him in. That's unfortunate.

Mysteryman said:

Biblical exegesis[/quote]

Since the Bible is silent on the matter, you cannot rationally say what you have said. You have clearly done eisegesis, not exegesis.
Hi

In Revelation, it says that John fell to the ground like a dead man when he was in the presence of an angel. Now that was just an angel! Can you imagine if the Holy Spirit of God manifests in your presence with all his Glory and touches you (figuratively) that you would not fall down in the weight of that Glory? The power of God knocks that flesh right out. I've been slain in the Spirit during worship when nobody touched me at all but God Himself. The worship was so intense and God inhabits the praises of His people. I got so full of God I got knocked out! (I'm a pretty radical worshipper, I love to sing the praises of my God). Now I wasn't unconscious or anything, I was just bathing in the Love of God.

It deceives people into falling in love with Jesus? Hmmmm.... sounds counter productive.

Free said:
MM said:
Please tell me you are trying to be funny. In one breath you state that "the Bible is not silent on this matter" and then "you cannot find anyone being slain in the Spirit." That last comment is precisely what is meant when the Bible is silent on a matter, and in particular this matter.

To say that because the Bible has no example of someone being slain in the Spirit that that means it is not of God is fallacious, it is error. It also means that you know everything God will and will not do and that he fits inside of the nice little box you have him in. That's unfortunate.

Hi Free

Try and understand, that what God does not promote is not of God. For instance, does God promote you being bathed in hot boiling oil ? And if you see a group , that calls themselves christian, boiling people alive in hot oil. And then you claim that the word is silent on this, so it must be okay for them to boil people in hot boiling oil. I would think you are mad for even considering this to be okay, just because the Word is silent on this matter.

If I hear someone speak in tongues, I am not shocked by this whatsoever. This is because the Word of God promotes speaking in tongues. It is because of this fact, that the Word of God encourages this as spiritual prayer.

Radical people, are the kind of people who will do just about anything as a side show , in order to deceive . Those who are ignorant of the scriptures, will allow themselves to believe just about anything. And this is true of people who allow themselves to be slain in the spirit. They are being slain by a devil spirit, and not the One True God, who is the Holy Spirit.

Why do you think people give such large amounts of money to tv evangilists ? The word is not silent about an evangilist, but it is silent about there being such a thing as a TV Evangilist. The Word of God states -- My people are destroyed because of a lack of knowledge. Not hurt, but destroyed ! The Word of God tells us that these type of people will make merchandise of you - II Peter 2:3

The Word of God is our guide book, but the Holy Spirit is our guide. The Christ in you, is the Spirit of truth, which will remind you of the things Jesus said while he was here on earth. We are to do that which God promotes. Because we have sound doctorine to back up what the one true God promotes.

The Word of God does talk about false healings , and it is clear about false everything, including false teachers and false brethren and false prophets etc, etc, etc !

Why do you think the apostle Paul constantly said - "I would not have you ignorant brethren" ? That which is not promoted by God is not of God. People then accept false doctorine or false beliefs not based upon the Word of God, and that which God promotes. They are devil spirit influences and devil spirit promotions.

The Word of God tells us that we have the Spirit of a sound mind. < This, God promotes !

Even laughing out of control, is not of the One true God. There is nothing wrong with laughter. But everything is to be done while one is still in control of their faculties.

Even speaking in tongues should always be done decent , and in order, so that in the church it edifies. Which means that there must be interpretatin of tongues ! Speaking in tongues is manifested by the one speaking. God does not overtake you, and make you speak in tongues. You of your own free will speak in tongues. And speaking in tongues is not suppose to be a side show either !

The bottom line is this --- Do that which God promotes, and do not do that which God does not promote !

Mysteryman said:
The Word of God does talk about false healings , and it is clear about false everything, including false teachers and false brethren and false prophets etc, etc, etc !

Please quote me a scripture that speaks specifically of false healing. (Besides when the Anti-Christ is actually on earth in person. THAT'S when it says there will be signs and lying wonders, 2Thess 2 I believe). Do you have any other scripture that speaks of false healing?

And how have you proved that the bible is silent on the matter? The fact is, it doesn't speak about it either way. Like I said, in Revelation John fell to the ground as a dead man in the presence of an angel because the flesh cannot stand in the presence of such glory. And angels, being so close to God, are full of God's Glory. So imagine being in the manifest presence of the Glory of God HIMSELF, do you really think any flesh can stand?

faithtransforms said:
Mysteryman said:

Please quote me a scripture that speaks specifically of false healing. (Besides when the Anti-Christ is actually on earth in person. THAT'S when it says there will be signs and lying wonders, 2Thess 2 I believe). Do you have any other scripture that speaks of false healing?

And how have you proved that the bible is silent on the matter? The fact is, it doesn't speak about it either way. Like I said, in Revelation John fell to the ground as a dead man in the presence of an angel because the flesh cannot stand in the presence of such glory. And angels, being so close to God, are full of God's Glory. So imagine being in the manifest presence of the Glory of God HIMSELF, do you really think any flesh can stand?

Jesus Christ warned us in Matthew 24:24

Again Jesus speaking - John 4:48

And you would think that II Thess 2:9 would be enough of a warning , but if these are not enough, then what about I Timothy 4:1 - "seducing spirits" ?

And what about I Peter 5:8 - "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour" < To be sober is to be aware or wide awake. I Thess 5:6 - "Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober"

Romans 12:3 - "but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith"

I Thess. 5:8 - "But let us, who are of the day, be sober, puttong on the breastplate of faith, and love ; and for an helmit, the hope of salvatin"

If these are not enough, I can come up with more scripture than this.

For instance Jeremiah 14:14 - "Then the Lord said unto me, The prophets prophesy lies in my name : I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spake unto them : they prophesy unto you a false vision and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their heart"

Or, how about one who was possessed with a spirit of divination (spiritual deceit) who even claimed that the apostles were servants of the most high God ? -> Acts 16:16 - 17

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back