Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

sola scriptura,

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
What if reading the text of Scripture with the Holy Spirit's help leads to a different conclusion to yours? Which is the truth?
When you speak what the Holy Spirit says to you, we are to test the spirits to see if it is really from God.
1 John 4:1-6;

WM,

So, you speak out of ignorance when you state: ' Theology as found in theological text books etc is not copied straight from scripture'. Baby Berkhof. You can read his whole Systematic Theology HERE. However, it dates back to 1949. I don't consider, with your minuscule amount of reading in this field, that you have adequate knowledge to make your statement about 'theological text books'.

Why did you make such a disparaging comment about theological text books?

Oz
And wha has my reading in the last few years got to do with the content of theological books?

Are you maintaining that theological books just quote scripture or is it a case that they talk through a proposition using scripture to support that proposition?

Why are you puzzled?

I said "1. Regarding your first point, Scripture has no authority."

You replied "I can accept your point in #1. " So you accept that scripture has no authority.

But then you continued "God is the one who has authority and scriptural authority is derived from Him". So in contradiction to your acceptance that scripture has no authority, you claim it has authority derived from God.

What about the rest of my post?
Are you going to ignore it?

Why are you puzzled?

I said "1. Regarding your first point, Scripture has no authority."

You replied "I can accept your point in #1. " So you accept that scripture has no authority.

But then you continued "God is the one who has authority and scriptural authority is derived from Him". So in contradiction to your acceptance that scripture has no authority, you claim it has authority derived from God.

What about the rest of my post?
Are you going to ignore it?
Lets word it this way.
In judgments made I would state it is Jesus's words that will prevail.

I see it a necessity that Scripture is the foundation of our beliefs and practices with the Holy Spirit.

JLB

Scripture says the Church is the foundation of Truth (1Tim 3:15) and the Church is built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets (Eph 2:20). I don't see anything about scripture being a foundation.

Scripture says the Church is the foundation of Truth (1Tim 3:15) and the Church is built on the foundation of the apostles and prophets (Eph 2:20). I don't see anything about scripture being a foundation.

Is the doctrine of Christ scripture?

The man started a thread about scripture only.

He believes like many of us that our doctrine should be founded in scripture. Can we please discuss this?

I think it's an honorable subject to discuss.

Are you against using scripture?

Please let's have a good discussion.

JLB

I think that it is interesting and valuable to note that when Jesus was being tempted by Satan in the Wilderness, The only responses that Jesus gave to Satan were three different quotes from God’s Word.....specifically Deuteronomy ....nothing else was needed to shut Satan’s Mouth .....a good lesson for us......

Reactions: JLB
I think that it is interesting and valuable to note that when Jesus was being tempted by Satan in the Wilderness, The only responses that Jesus gave to Satan were three different quotes from God’s Word.....specifically Deuteronomy ....nothing else was needed to shut Satan’s Mouth .....a good lesson for us......

Amen

What do you mean by "the doctrine of Christ"

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 9

The Teaching of Christ.

The Truth.

JLB

Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. 2 John 9

The Teaching of Christ.

The Truth.

JLB

Some of the doctrine (teaching) of Christ is in Scripture. But Scripture never claims it is all there.
As I replied to Oz:
Jesus wrote nothing down except some word in the dust. All Jesus' teaching was initially passed on orally. Some of that was written down and after much time and discussion was canonised as part of Scripture. We call that Sacred Scripture (or just Scripture).

More continued to be passed on orally, only slowly being written down. Catholics and Orthodox call this Sacred Tradition (or just Tradition with a capital 'T'). This is not the "human tradition" referred to in Col 2:8. It is as much God's word as Scripture.

Paul writes to Timothy "So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth [Tradition] or by letter [Scripture]." (2Thess 2:15).

Paul also wrote to Timothy: "You then, my son, be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus, and what you have heard from me before many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also." (2Tim 2:1-2)

Paul taught Timothy orally (what you have heard from me). He didn't tell him a Bible to get his doctrines from there.
Paul tells Timothy to pass on (entrust) that teaching to "faithful men". Again no mention of just passing on a Bible
And the faithful men, to which Timothy has entrusted that teaching, are to teach others in their turn.
entrust
n verb assign a responsibility to. Øput into someone's care

(Concise Oxford English Dictionary)

This is the passing on of Sacred Tradition.

Paul writes to Timothy "So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth [Tradition] or by letter [Scripture]." (2Thess 2:15).

The apostles taught what Jesus Christ taught them.

His Gospel
His Commandments
His Doctrine

But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth, to which He called you by our gospel, for the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ. Therefore, brethren, stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle.
Now may our Lord Jesus Christ Himself, and our God and Father, who has loved us and given us everlasting consolation and good hope by grace, comfort your hearts and establish you in every good word and work. 2 Thessalonians 2:13-17

• stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle.

The teachings they were taught by them directly in person or by an epistle.

JLB

to be fair the church i attend and its in other demonations,and no its not the one photo in my avatar, have doctrinal statements. my church being reformed uses the westminster confession. it doesnt supercede the bible but is useful to describe what the church teaches. they cite the bible and also calvin.

to be fair the church i attend and its in other demonations,and no its not the one photo in my avatar, have doctrinal statements. my church being reformed uses the westminster confession. it doesnt supercede the bible but is useful to describe what the church teaches. they cite the bible and also calvin.

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Amen. This is one verse that we should all be able to agree on.

JLB

For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Amen. This is one verse that we should all be able to agree on.

JLB
church doctrines vary on non essentials.
ie end times, ie the gift of the Holy Ghost, water baptism type, the didache actually says to use a body of water if possible, sprinkling is useful. my church does baptize babies and it citing luther. maundy thursday is in the confession.

And wha has my reading in the last few years got to do with the content of theological books?

Are you maintaining that theological books just quote scripture or is it a case that they talk through a proposition using scripture to support that proposition?

Again, you speak out of ignorance about systematic theology. You want to make yourself adequate to speak on theological topics by a read of mini-Berkhof.:wall

Again, you speak out of ignorance about systematic theology. You want to make yourself adequate to speak on theological topics by a read of mini-Berkhof.:wall
So one's knowledge is only valid if read or learnt recently.

You have created a strawman and are attacking it.

Back