Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

sola scriptura,

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
A claim that requires some evidence.

The Catholic Church does not teach people to bow down to idols and Catholics do not do that.

Try reading Ex 20:16 before you start throwing quotes like that around.

JLB, the way to have an honest discussion is to take up the points made not start hurling false claims around.

Nothing false about my claim, I have witnessed first hand Catholics bowing down in front of statues made in the image of Mary, saints and Jesus.

That 100% exactly what idols are; Statues
cough and ptotestents ,use an icon called old glory ,and salute it .its not much different .

the proper way to dispose of a flag is to take it to the legion or vfw,they burn them,and say prayers.

is that any different ?

the use of icons I take issue with but some protestants love those statues too ,Calvin and the puritans didn't build any statues to honor men of the faith or even The Lord

That 100% exactly what idols are; Statues

No they are not.
Idols are somethings that are worshipped.

idol
n noun
1 an image or representation of a god used as an object of worship.

(Concise Oxford English Dictionary)

Catholics do not worship statues - or even the person they represent.
Only God is worshipped.

Last edited:
Nothing false about my claim, I have witnessed first hand Catholics bowing down in front of statues made in the image of Mary, saints and Jesus.

Your claim was "We have enough to establish us in the truth, and the Holy Spirit to teach us in truth" - a claim that wa given without evidence.

Regarding bowing; bowing is not worship. It may be used in worship but is not in itself worship.
Worship comes from the heart. Can you judge a persons heart?

cough and ptotestents ,use an icon called old glory ,and salute it .its not much different .

Your joking right?

Your actually trying to compare respecting our National Flag with bowing down to statues and praying to them?

Really?

JLB

No they are not.
Idols are somethings that are worshipped.

idol
n noun
1 an image or representation of a god used as an object of worship.

(Concise Oxford English Dictionary)

Catholics do not worship statues - or even the person they represent.
Only God is worshipped.

Im glad that you yourself feel that way.

Good for you. Amen.

Unfortunately most Catholics don’t know any better, as they think it’s ok to pray to Mary and the dead.

They also think it’s ok to bow down if front of a statue of Mary and kiss the feet of the statute and pray to it.

JLB

Regarding bowing; bowing is not worship. It may be used in worship but is not in itself worship.

“You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, Exodus 20:4-5

• You shall not make for yourself a carved imageany likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them

Is Mary in heaven?

JLB

Your joking right?

Your actually trying to compare respecting our National Flag with bowing down to statues and praying to them?

Really?

JLB
there are Christian s who say this .

you do know that bowing is one way to commit idolatry ,look,I,have to salute trump or the next potus ,I don't salute the man but the office .

same with any officer .let alone the posotion of attention must be given .in the martial arts one bows and in Korea that is the salute .in,the Philippines the weapons you use a knife ,standard issue is rendered as a bow and salute .

I'm,not one of those but I,have bowed to my sensei,shihan.I have saluted a few officers who I had no respect for .

in Japan ..bowing is the same as a handshake .its nothing to do with worship in,the greet context ,though some do have the act with thanking ancestors and the worship of such ,in the dojo that is a shrine

that I have issues with and yes.plenty of dojo have that most of the ones I go to or did didn't but we bowed to,the flag,which was American and Korean,or Japanese depending on,the art .

I never felt since saved that bowing to the flags was since was respecring the country of the art origin .

Your claim was "We have enough to establish us in the truth, and the Holy Spirit to teach us in truth" - a claim that wa given without evidence.

Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, forbidding to marry...
1 Timothy 4:1-3

Do you know of any other Christian denomination that forbids their priests to marry?

Now when Jesus had come into Peter’s house, He saw his wife’s mother lying sick with a fever. So He touched her hand, and the fever left her. And she arose and served them. Matthew :14-15

• into Peter’s house, He saw his wife’s mother lying sick

If Peter had a wife, why does the Catholic Church forbid the Pope and priests to marry?

JLB

Attachments

• 20200814_151741.jpg
    20200814_151741.jpg
    705.5 KB · Views: 5
“You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, Exodus 20:4-5

• You shall not make for yourself a carved imageany likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them

Is Mary in heaven?

JLB

Here we go - trotting out the same tired old complaints to avoid the truth that sola scripture has no scriptural basis. It's a man made doctrine.

But if I don't reply you claim I'm avoiding the above just like you avoid defending the indefensible - sola scriptura.

1. You missed an important part of the first commandment - Ex 20:3
"You shall have no other gods before me." That is the basic command. The rest is how they have no other gods.
2. This commend was given to the Israelites at Sinai. It is part of their covenant law., It was not given to gentiles. It was not given to us.

3. Yes Mary is in heaven.

Now will you address sola scriptura or are you going to continue your diversions?

Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith, giving heed to deceiving spirits and doctrines of demons, speaking lies in hypocrisy, having their own conscience seared with a hot iron, forbidding to marry...

Do you know of any other Christian denomination that forbids their priests to marry?

Now when Jesus had come into Peter’s house, He saw his wife’s mother lying sick with a fever. So He touched her hand, and the fever left her. And she arose and served them. Matthew :14-15

If Peter had a wife, why does the Catholic Church forbid the Pope and priests to marry?

JLB

Another diversion.
The Catholic Church does not forbid priest to marry. In fact some parts of the Church does have marrieds priests.

Now can we get back to sola scriptura?

What is that supposed to show?

The correct answer is nothing!

here is one for you

protestant wall.jpg
reformers wall.jpg
The Reformers wall of the reformers heroes. Don't tell me they were carved by Catholics.

Now can we stop silly pictures that prove nothing and get back to sola scriptura?

Your joking right?

Really?

JLB
I agree with him.
It's a good comparison.
I actually find most Christians worshipping the flag and promoting the voting for Trump as president.
And none of those people show that they put Jesus first in their lives.
They are just too busy with the world.

Im glad that you yourself feel that way.

Good for you. Amen.

Unfortunately most Catholics don’t know any better, as they think it’s ok to pray to Mary and the dead.

They also think it’s ok to bow down if front of a statue of Mary and kiss the feet of the statute and pray to it.

JLB
Well, Jack Van Impe, and his wife, and Jon Hagee, and Kenneth Copeland and wife, to name a few, have all gone to the Vatican and kissed the pope's feet.

Is Mary in heaven?

JLB
Good question?
Are you OSAS?

JLB
It's called infallibility.
The pope is infallible.
Therefore, he can change the rules anytime he wants for any reason he wants.

I agree with him.
It's a good comparison.
I actually find most Christians worshipping the flag and promoting the voting for Trump as president.
while I can see that ,I myself never have.I'm in,a spot where God allowed me to be.

1.under trump health insurance isn't cheaper
2.bankruptcy
3. income sufficient to be able to work one job .
4.the horrible dreams
5.while it is true that I did create a mess ,only myself with Gods providence will work this out as no man can defeat or thwart God.
6. today I learned of an in law dying from cancer and despite having good insurance and doctors he is facing death and his insurance is no longer covering him.he isn't expected to live to see the holidays

on the flag ever since ,well before since I was not raised to honor it like I have now ,I,was forced since 05 to ponder why I,might die under it and what it was .the flag via the va has shafted vets and others .I know how to differientate who will be faithful and the govt has proven it won't or can't.ss won't be around nor the Medicare without serious taxation to fix it .yet with God ,I can trust Him to provide .I may have to learn a few things and do with less but I,will not be left to the wolves.

I agree with him.
It's a good comparison.

No such thing as worshipping the flag.

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back