Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Some of the best NT verses threatening loss of salvation

2024 Website Hosting Fees

Total amount
$1,048.00
Goal
$1,038.00
for some reason this keeps coming into play . i have explained my position many times.. for some reason it has not sunk in .

i am not a osas Christian .. i am a blood bought child of the KIng . i have a inheritance >
4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you,

5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time.

i have a know so salvation that ye may know .. i have a God who is able to keep me: Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy, i also have a God who will not allow me to be plucked out of his hand :
John 10:28-30 New International Version (NIV)
28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all[a]; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”

paul covered the practice of sin living under Grace.. he said NO it is not to be.

how many in here osNas can say they have been angry and sinned not ? were talking pushed to the limits ..i have and i sinned i told a technician at work after we had words... i bet his family was just sooooo happy when he walked through the door.. sarcasm *** yes i was ticked off . i have had church folks say mean nasty things to me .

how many guys ever seen a young lady walk by and watch her her walk away.. have a several seconds of run away thoughts ? did you lose your salvation ?

my whole point is this the debate yes debate over osas is silly . i have met church people who has nit been in church in months. ask do you believe in eternal security ? angry response NO.. i know a couple they attend church regular he later allegedly took the call to preach .. allowed there daughter to attend college several miles away live in a shared dorm separate sleeping rooms of course.. with her boy friend . do i know what goes on behind closed doors? no does it look right? would you still call them saved? not my call . ask the parents of course
First Ezra, I never speak about you PERSONALLY, so you shouldn't take it that way.

I'm discussing a doctrine...of course, some believe this doctrine...but it's not personal to discuss the doctrine.

I don't agree with you that this is a silly argument. I think it's a very important argument, and I also have stated why many times.

I know a Deacon in the CC, that means he was 1 year away from being a priest...his daughter is living with someone and is expecting her first baby this summer. He cannot control what the daughter does. It's not our mission to know who is saved and who is not. She may be saved and not someone that goes to church every week and seems to be so holy...and maybe they are not.

I like to discuss the doctrine...not the personal side of it.

We all get mad at times and we all sin at times. This is not to discourage us from trying to become better. I saw a bumper sticker years ago that said "Christians are saved...Not perfect". Only Jesus was perfect here on earth.

I just think this doctrine brings to bad conclusions and I fear those that believe it may be in danger if they stray from obedience to God. (I'm not saying they ALL do).

First Ezra, I never speak about you PERSONALLY, so you shouldn't take it that way.

I'm discussing a doctrine...of course, some believe this doctrine...but it's not personal to discuss the doctrine.

I don't agree with you that this is a silly argument. I think it's a very important argument, and I also have stated why many times.

I know a Deacon in the CC, that means he was 1 year away from being a priest...his daughter is living with someone and is expecting her first baby this summer. He cannot control what the daughter does. It's not our mission to know who is saved and who is not. She may be saved and not someone that goes to church every week and seems to be so holy...and maybe they are not.

I like to discuss the doctrine...not the personal side of it.

We all get mad at times and we all sin at times. This is not to discourage us from trying to become better. I saw a bumper sticker years ago that said "Christians are saved...Not perfect". Only Jesus was perfect here on earth.

I just think this doctrine brings to bad conclusions and I fear those that believe it may be in danger if they stray from obedience to God. (I'm not saying they ALL do).
you lost me

Your have refuted nothing.

You have only proven you do not understand what is being taught.

The scripture does not say the people had no root.

People do not have roots.

You are mixing together the parabolic with the literal, in your attempt to create a narrative that does not exist.

The seed sprouts and has roots.

Jesus taught that the seed that is stolen by the birds represents people who do not believe.

That is the group that does not believe.

Those by the wayside are the ones who hear; then the devil comes and takes away the word out of their hearts, lest they should believe and be saved. Luke 8:12

This is the only group that does not believe, initially.

The next group does in fact believe.

It’s no secret. It’s plainly stated by Jesus.

• when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe...

But the ones on the rock are those who, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no root, who believe for a while and in time of temptation fall away. Luke 8:13

There is no doubt whatsoever that these believed.

They received the word with joy.

That phrase, “receive the word” plainly means believe the Gospel.

• Then those who gladly received his word were baptized; and that day about three thousand souls were added to them. Acts 2:41

• Now when the apostles who were at Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent Peter and John to them, who, when they had come down, prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit. Acts 8:14-15

• Now the apostles and brethren who were in Judea heard that the Gentiles had also received the word of God. Acts 11:1

• And you became followers of us and of the Lord, having received the word in much affliction, with joy of the Holy Spirit,1 Thessalonians 1:6

Furthermore we also know that these who believed for awhile, did so because they were persecuted for receiving the Gospel message and becoming Christian’s; Believers.

JLB

That which is planted does indeed take root in a believer's heart. The root is what keeps us standing.

Yes he is persecuted because he is a believer. But if a man believes only for a while he is not saved.

He is saved when He believes.

When he no longer believes, he is no longer saved.

Agree or disagree?

JLB

That which is planted does indeed take root in a believer's heart. The root is what keeps us standing.

The root is how the plant draws moisture and nutrients from the soil in which it inhabits.

If it’s root system is not adequate to draw the moisture from deeper in the soil, when the sun is hot during the summer months, it will wither, because the sun has dried up the soil in the shallow surface.

JLB

another question i have for those who believe that people who left never belonged:- still working this through and wanted input
The issue is whether "never belonged" refers to unbelievers, or believers who adhere to false doctrines.

The verse usually cited is 1 John 2:19 - They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.

I will show from Scripture that this can easily refer to believers who adhere to false doctrines.

Rom 16:17 - I urge you, brothers and sisters, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them.

The context here, in noting worthy believers, would indicate that v.17 refers to unworthy believers who divide and obfuscate believers. We all have known such people.

Acts 15:1 - Certain people came down from Judea to Antioch and were teaching the believers: “Unless you are circumcised, according to the custom taught by Moses, you cannot be saved.”

v.5 - Then some of the believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees stood up and said, “The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to keep the law of Moses.”

v.5 shows that v.1 refers to believers of the Pharisee party, and adhering to false doctrine.

v.24 - We have heard that some went out from us without our authorization and disturbed you, troubling your minds by what they said.

This verse refers back to the believers of the Pharisee party, who were dividing and obstructing the church.

Acts 20:30 - Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them.

This seems quite clear that even believers will arise and distort the truth. Such believers don't belong to any local assembly of believers (church) who hold to biblical doctrines.

1 Tim 1:19 - holding on to faith and a good conscience, which some have rejected and so have suffered shipwreck with regard to the faith.

This is a sad testimonial of believers who didn't hold on to faith and a good conscience, and have suffered for it.

2 Tim 4-
3For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

These 2 verses show that believers can be easily led astray from biblical doctrines.

there are scriptures talking about willful sinners who can never repent and receive salvation because there is no sacrifice left to cover willful sin - Hebrew 10:26-31 -
26 If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left,
27 but only a fearful expectation of judgment and of raging fire that will consume the enemies of God.
28 Anyone who rejected the law of Moses died without mercy on the testimony of two or three witnesses.
29 How much more severely do you think someone deserves to be punished who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, who has treated as an unholy thing the blood of the covenant that sanctified them, and who has insulted the Spirit of grace?
30 For we know him who said, “It is mine to avenge; I will repay,” and again, “The Lord will judge his people.”
31 It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.

Hebrews 9 begins a discussion about the one time all sufficiency of Christ's sacrifice for sin: v.12, 26, 28. And the discussion carries into ch 10: 1,2, 10, 12 and 14.

Then, the author concludes that because of this "once for all" sacrifice for sins, "there is no longer any sacrifice for sin" in v.18. iow, because of Christ's perfect once for all sacrifice, there is no necessity of any more sacrificing for one's sins, unlike under the Law in the OT. This was a new concept to the early church, who were used to annual sacrifices in accordance with the Law. Yet Heb 10:1-2 explains how such repeated sacrifices never 'perfected' those who worshiped under the Law, with it's various sacrifices.

So, the context for 10:26-31 is the same subject; Christ's once for all sacrifice means that there is no longer any need for sacrifice. It's all been done.

So v.26 addresses willful sin. Again, because of Christ's once for all sacrifice, there is no need for further sacrifice regarding willful sin. Then, v.27 gives us the consequence of such sin: fearful expectation of judgment and raging fire (not eternal fire) that will consume the enemies of God. This isn't about loss of salvation, or failure to gain it back, but rather a stern warning that those who engage in willful sin will face God's hand of discipline, which Heb 12:11 says will be painful. Most who believe that salvation can be lost seem to ignore, forget, or simply don't know Scripture that warns of God's discipline towards His disobedient children.

Paul gives us a hint of how that might play out in 1 Cor 5:5, regarding the incestuous believer. Paul turned him over to Satan for the "destruction of the flesh", which is another way of expressing "sin unto death" that is mentioned in 1 John 5:16.

Then, Paul lists the progression of God's discipline in the Corinithian church in 1 Cor 11:30 - weakness, sickness, and physical death.

and the unpardonable sin issue of speaking against the Holy Spirit - Mark 3:28-29 - Matthew 12:31-32
In context, Jesus said this regarding those Pharisees who physically saw His miracles and then attributed them to the devil, rather than giving God the glory. Such extreme rejection of God's power shows that such men were beyond help, and would not believe.

Some believe that "speaking against the Holy Spirit" occurs today when people reject the gospel, but the context where Jesus explained this was specific to Jesus' miracles performed in the power of the Holy Spirit but attributed to the devil instead.

Reactions: JLB

Here is an image of a seed and the process of it sprouting.

If a seed sprouts, as we see, it developed roots first, before it sprouts.

So to say a sprout has no roots is incorrect.

No root or no root in itself refers to “insuffient” rather than
“Nonexistent”.

It actually refers, in context, to the depth of the soil being shallow.

That is what is being taught by Jesus.

The problem, is not with the seed or sprout, but with the soil, which represents the condition of the person’s heart.

The heart can be changed, by the person asking the Lord to deal with the condition of their heart.

This is what the Lord is looking for.

This is why David was so dearly loved by the Lord, as he invited the Lord to deal with the issues of his heart.

Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me, and know my anxieties; Psalm 139:23

You have tested my heart;
You have visited me in the night;
You have tried me and have found nothing;
I have purposed that my mouth shall not transgress.
Psalm 17:3

Examine me, O Lord, and prove me;
Try my mind and my heart. Psalm 26:2

JLB

Some believe that "speaking against the Holy Spirit" occurs today when people reject the gospel, but the context where Jesus explained this was specific to Jesus' miracles performed in the power of the Holy Spirit but attributed to the devil instead.

So true.

JLB

The verse usually cited is 1 John 2:19 - They went out from us, but they did not really belong to us. For if they had belonged to us, they would have remained with us; but their going showed that none of them belonged to us.

I will show from Scripture that this can easily refer to believers who adhere to false doctrines.

Rom 16:17 - I urge you, brothers and sisters, to watch out for those who cause divisions and put obstacles in your way that are contrary to the teaching you have learned. Keep away from them.

The context here, in noting worthy believers, would indicate that v.17 refers to unworthy believers who divide and obfuscate believers. We all have known such people.

Acts 15:1 - Certain people came down from Judea to Antioch and were teaching the believers: “Unless you are circumcised, according to the custom taught by Moses, you cannot be saved.”

v.5 - Then some of the believers who belonged to the party of the Pharisees stood up and said, “The Gentiles must be circumcised and required to keep the law of Moses.”

v.5 shows that v.1 refers to believers of the Pharisee party, and adhering to false doctrine.

v.24 - We have heard that some went out from us without our authorization and disturbed you, troubling your minds by what they said.

This verse refers back to the believers of the Pharisee party, who were dividing and obstructing the church.

Acts 20:30 - Even from your own number men will arise and distort the truth in order to draw away disciples after them.

This seems quite clear that even believers will arise and distort the truth. Such believers don't belong to any local assembly of believers (church) who hold to biblical doctrines.

1 Tim 1:19 - holding on to faith and a good conscience, which some have rejected and so have suffered shipwreck with regard to the faith.

This is a sad testimonial of believers who didn't hold on to faith and a good conscience, and have suffered for it.

2 Tim 4-
3For the time will come when people will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear.

4 They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.

These 2 verses show that believers can be easily led astray from biblical doctrines.

Amen.

JLB

Yes.

As long as we continue to believe we have eternal life.
I would respectfully ask that any verse actually says this. I don't believe there are any.

And, if there were, then the Bible would be conflicted and contradictory to itself. Because Jesus was clear about those who believe: they possess eternal life (Jn 5:24, 6:47), and as such, shall never perish (Jn 10:28). This cannot be refuted, and Scripture does not contradict itself.

Believe means obey.
No, it doesn't. 'pietho' is usually translated 'obey' but means to believe.

From "biblehub.com" and Acts 16:31, the word for "believe" is translated: "to believe, entrust".

As long as we continue to hear and obey, resulting in following, we continue to “know Him”, have eternal life.
I will again respectfully ask for any verse that actually says this, since I know there aren't any.

The Bereans "searched the Scriptures daily to see if what Paul said was true" in Acts 17:11. I search the Scriptures daily to see if what Calvinism and Arminianism say is true. And I find a lot of errors in both.

That’s how we come to be “in Christ”, by believing.
And Eph 1:13,14, 4:30 and 2 Cor 1;22 and 5:5 speak of being sealed with the Holy Spirit, who is the One who places the believer into Christ. And this seal is a guarantee for the day of redemption.

And again, I respectfully ask for any verse that speaks of this specific seal being broken by any means at all. I know that there aren't any.

So I cannot accept your claims.

He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.”
John 3:36 NASB
The word for "not obey" here is the negative of 'peitho', or 'apeitho' and means to "not believe".

Are you not aware of John 3:18? "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son."

Or, 2 Thess 2:12 - and so that all will be condemned who have not believed the truth but have delighted in wickedness.

The key to both of these verses is who will be condemned: those who have not believed.

This comports with what Jesus said in John 10:28. That those who have believed shall never perish.

Peter said the same thing in 1 Pet 1:23. "we have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable seed.

That means those who have been born again cannot perish.

It’s very simple what Paul said in Romans 2:6-8, because he says it all through the entire book of Romans.
Well, since I've already proven my point about Rom 2:6-8 from other verses in the same context, there is no point in re-hashing them. One either accepts what the Word of God says, or they don't.

It’s about faith; The Obedience of faith.

Romans begins and ends with the obedience of faith.

Obeying the truth is how we saved, and how we continue to be saved.
What hasn't been shown (and not even close) is any verse that speaks of having to continue in anything in order to be saved.

eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality;

but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath,
I've already proven from that same context that no human being can fulfill the law. Only Jesus did that, which qualified Him to go to the cross and die for the sins of the entire human race. Because no human being is capable of keeping the law.

So your saying that every born again Christian hears His Voice and follows Him, throughout their entire life and never disobey Him?
No, I never said that. Please don't force words into my mouth. I believe it's been your claim that John 10:27 must be strictly adhered to in order to "never perish", even though there is no such wording or language to support such a claim.

Are you aware of the difference between policy and practice? As an example, in most, if not in all, restaurants, in the restrooms, there is a sign that says: "all employees will wash their hands", or some such verbiage.

Now, are all those signs claiming that every single employee washes their hands every single time they use the restroom? That would be very absurd.

Instead, the sign is a statement of policy of what the employees ARE SUPPOSED TO DO after using the restroom.

In the same way (policy), v.27 is a policy statement of what Jesus' sheep (believers in Him) ARE SUPPOSED TO DO.

His sheep who do not continue to follow Him, will end up becoming lost.
Please prove that "becoming lost" equals losing salvation.

It’s that simple.
I sure think that John 10:28 is that simple. Now, on to proving that becoming lost means becoming unsaved.

“What man of you, having a hundred sheep, if he loses one of them, does not leave the ninety-nine in the wilderness, and go after the one which is lost until he finds it? And when he has found it, he lays it on his shoulders, rejoicing. And when he comes home, he calls together his friends and neighbors, saying to them, Rejoice with me, for I have found my sheep which was lost!’ I say to you that likewise there will be more joy in heaven over one sinner who repents than over ninety-nine just persons who need no repentance. Luke 15:4-7
A Greek lexicon (dictionary) shows that the word for 'repent' means literally to change the mind.

A person needs to change their mind about any number of things in order to come to saving faith in Jesus Christ. But no one is saved by changing their mind about any one thing. The key to salvation is believing in Christ as Savior.

The 100 sheep belong to the shepherd.
Granted.

1 becomes lost.
That lost sheep STILL belongs to the shepherd. Ownership of that lost sheep doesn't change hands.

Do the lost need salvation?
A lost sheep isn't the same as a lost soul. Unsaved people need salvation.

Those who have believed, HAVE eternal life, and shall never perish.

Do sinners need salvation by repenting?
No. Paul told a jailer what he needed to DO to be saved: believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you WILL BE SAVED.

It's that simple.

I believe repentance is the word here.
As John the Baptist strongly indicated.
Repent, repent.
Rom.3:25
Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in His blood, to declare His righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God.
1John 1:9
IF we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
IF is a little word with big meaning.

1John 2:3,4,
And thereby we do know that we know Him, IF we keep His commandments.
He that Saith, I know Him, and keepeth not His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in Him.

Loss of salvation?
Rev.14:9-11
IF any man worship the beast and His image, and receive his mark, the same shall drink of the wine of wrath, and shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb,
And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up 4 ever.

Luke 8:13;
These people are emotional hearers.
Interesting opinion, but Jesus said differently. He actually said they "believed for a while". And because they DID believe, He DID give them eternal life, per John 5:24 and 6:47, and repeated in 1 John 5:11 and 13. The result is that they shall never perish, per John 10:28.

But due to their instability (have no root), when they are faced, with temptation, they fall away.
What they "fell away" from was their faith. They ceased to believe.

These are worldly hearers, never saved.
Again, Jesus said nothing about them being "worldly", or "never saved". That would be an opinion, and unsubstantiated from the text.

Luke 8:13;
These people are emotional hearers.
But due to their instability (have no root), when they are faced, with temptation, they fall away.
These are worldly hearers, never saved.
How could you say they were never saved?
JESUS said they believed.
Is a believer saved?

If I RECEIVE your teaching...
does it mean I BELIEVE your teaching?

Why is it not understood only by those that believe salvation cannot be lost?

The words are plain and simple....

Yes he is persecuted because he is a believer. But if a man believes only for a while he is not saved.
I find this opinion frequently expressed, but I've yet to see anyone support their claim from Scripture; that one must continue to believe in order to continue to be saved.

Thanks.

Interesting opinion, but Jesus said differently. He actually said they "believed for a while". And because they DID believe, He DID give them eternal life, per John 5:24 and 6:47, and repeated in 1 John 5:11 and 13. The result is that they shall never perish, per John 10:28.

What they "fell away" from was their faith. They ceased to believe.

Again, Jesus said nothing about them being "worldly", or "never saved". That would be an opinion, and unsubstantiated from the text.
Wait.
You mean you believe that someone could never fall away NO MATTER WHAT?

If they're saved at some time in their life,,,they remain saved forever NO MATTER WHAT?

I find this opinion frequently expressed, but I've yet to see anyone support their claim from Scripture; that one must continue to believe in order to continue to be saved.

Thanks.
Continue to believe is noted many times in the N.T.

Let's check out the following:

John 8:29-31 JESUS SAID
29“And He who sent Me is with Me; He has not left Me alone, for I always do the things that are pleasing to Him.” 30As He spoke these things, many came to believe in Him.
31So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; "

Jesus does as the Father desires and that are pleasing to Him...just as we are to do IF we want to be disciples, or followers, of Jesus -- which is what saves us.

Jesus HIMSELF states that IF we CONTINUE in HIS WORD...
then we are disciples of His.

And only those who obey Jesus and do as He does, will see Him in heaven:

Matthew 7:21-23 JESUS SAID:
“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’

Hi FG
Nice to have you back...

This seems to be a favored subject matter...Why are YOU so interested in it?
I'm interested in what the Word of God says and means.

I'll tell you why I am...because of those who believe they can do nothing wrong once they are "born again".
Well, they have a huge problem then, because the Bible is clear about God's painful discipline towards those who think they can do nothing wrong, or that there will be no consequences for their willful sin.

There are some out there you know. I'm not saying anyone here is,,,but I know for sure they exist. Since the N.T. teaches us obedience to God....this mode of thinking does cause me to worry for these people.
I don't let such people bother me.

Calvinists can never know for sure that they are saved for two reasons:
1. They say God chooses them...so how to be sure God chose someone?

2. They have to get to the end of their life to know for sure that they persevered until the end.
I fully agree with you. Their theology has huge problems, as well as holes, in them.

I understand that there are different ways of believing in eternal security...I believe they're all wrong and I post scripture to show this. The scripture is overwhelming whereas there are very few verses regarding eternal salvation in a positive sense and I've said that the reason for this is because there was no such IDEA as OSAS back then so the language was not precisely measured...it was just never thought that anything the writers wrote could be taken that way.
It saddens me to read this when I've shared John 10:28 many times. Jesus couldn't have been more clear about eternal security. When someone believes, they POSSESS eternal life, per John 5:24, 6:47, 1 John 5:11 and 13. Then Jesus said He is the One who gives eternal life (to believers and when they believe), and the result is that THEY SHALL NEVER PERISH.

So those who keep adding "conditions" for recipients of eternal life to fulfill are not believing what Jesus said. To add conditions to Scripture that has no conditions is to distort the Scripture.

I don't agree with all Arminius believed so I'm not an arminian...However, I DO believe in conditional salvation.
Yet, where is the clear verse that salvation can be lost? It doesn't occur.

And the condition is very simple....
1 John 5:2-4
2By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God and observe His commandments.
3For this is the love of God, that we keep His commandments; and His commandments are not burdensome.

We choose to follow God...by this we can know we are saved.

None of this says salvation is conditioned upon loving the brothers (and sisters). There is no mention of salvation in these verses, nor warnings of loss of salvation.

And John 10:28 refutes such an "interpretation" of 1 John 5:2-4.

Please read ahead to v.11 and 13 in 1 Jn 5. These 2 verses say the same thing as John 5:24 and 6:47, that whoever believes possesses eternal life.

We do our best to obey God...His commandments are not burdensome because we have the Holy Spirit to help us in our walk.
This is NOT about salvation, but about spiritual growth.

And that is the condition...CONTINUE to walk with the Holy Spirit....

John 8:31 Jesus Said:
31So Jesus was saying to those Jews who had believed Him, If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; "
Sorry, but this verse doesn't come close to supporting your "condition".

What v.31 doesn't say is that "if you continue in My word, then you continue to be saved", but that seems to be what you think it means.

Back