Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

Something gone amiss!

Why do I suspect that You, could be checking out the guys (by the way church is an excellent place for a Christian single gay to check out the guys) hearing every word that is being said and determining what you think about it?

Lol thanks for your faith in my cognitive abilities. Generally sermons are a difficult thing to listen to. Usually humans can focus for 10 minutes before their mind takes a short break and their attention wanders a bit. And often people forget what a sermon was about. I often caught myself having a coffee with church friends right after the service was over and neither of us could give a full summary of the sermon. Sometimes I'd even forgoten what it was about.

Can you instantly remember what the sermon you heard on sunday was about? What about the sunday before?

So I'm guessing pastors may teach funny doctrine without many people noticing.

Btw, checking out guys in my church is kinda frustrating. I learned the first thing to look at when checking out a christian man my age is not his face or his body shape, but his ring fingers.

Why do I suspect that You, could be checking out the guys (by the way church is an excellent place for a Christian single gay to check out the guys) hearing every word that is being said and determining what you think about it?
you had to go there :sad

I have been on the receiving end of that with a man who struggled with that nature and later overcame it.

Oh no, I can't always remember, I bring writing tools for notes.

I've only left one church and that was because the Lord showed me something in scripture.
I didn't see how one could come face to face with the Bible.

Most of the time I think we should stay put until the Lord shows us what is wrong and that we should run.
I think we have to be really honest with ourselves, are they really wrong, or do I just not like what they are saying.

Lol thanks for your faith in my cognitive abilities. Generally sermons are a difficult thing to listen to. Usually humans can focus for 10 minutes before their mind takes a short break and their attention wanders a bit. And often people forget what a sermon was about. I often caught myself having a coffee with church friends right after the service was over and neither of us could give a full summary of the sermon. Sometimes I'd even forgoten what it was about.

Can you instantly remember what the sermon you heard on sunday was about? What about the sunday before?

So I'm guessing pastors may teach funny doctrine without many people noticing.

Btw, checking out guys in my church is kinda frustrating. I learned the first thing to look at when checking out a christian man my age is not his face or his body shape, but his ring fingers.
I can end times and that church and the return and false doctrines. taught from parts of matthew 24, luke 21, 23.

Hey realchild, the best stuff I've ever heard preached is from guys like Kenneth Copeland, Kenneth Hagin, Keith Moore, Jesse Duplantis, Creflo Dollar, Jerry Savelle, Bill Winston, Oral Roberts. Try watching their stuff on Youtube. The dots will be connected, it's all straight out of the Bible.

are they really wrong, or do I just not like what they are saying.

Visited a church in Salt Lake City.
First time there he said to nobody in particular...

You may not like what I'm going to say but please wait until after the sermon and we can meet in my office where I'll tell you some things you're not going to like.

:erm

After the sermon I decided I found myself a church home.
So, through my time there he preached some things I really didn't care much to hear. But he was right. He never tried to tickle the ear and the church grew dramatically, moved to another church and when I left it was still growing.
He spoke truth. And I found that was what brought the people in. They were hungry to hear it. I suppose after too much sweets one gets hungry for some real food.

His name is Pastor Terry Long, Calvary Church of Salt Lake City.
I moved back to Pa in '06. I miss him and the others a lot. And yes, you remember his sermons. They weren't topical. He'd start a book and go through it verse by verse sometimes getting sidetracked but never on a time schedule. Some books took more than a few Sundays to get through but the nuggets he could dig out of scripture was a talent I'd not seen since then. In short, he knew how to keep your interest.

Visited a church in Salt Lake City.
First time there he said to nobody in particular...

You may not like what I'm going to say but please wait until after the sermon and we can meet in my office where I'll tell you some things you're not going to like.

:erm

After the sermon I decided I found myself a church home.
So, through my time there he preached some things I really didn't care much to hear. But he was right. He never tried to tickle the ear and the church grew dramatically, moved to another church and when I left it was still growing.
He spoke truth. And I found that was what brought the people in. They were hungry to hear it. I suppose after too much sweets one gets hungry for some real food.

His name is Pastor Terry Long, Calvary Church of Salt Lake City.
I moved back to Pa in '06. I miss him and the others a lot. And yes, you remember his sermons. They weren't topical. He'd start a book and go through it verse by verse sometimes getting sidetracked but never on a time schedule. Some books took more than a few Sundays to get through but the nuggets he could dig out of scripture was a talent I'd not seen since then. In short, he knew how to keep your interest.

Sounds like he got your attention. :)
That sounds like a church I might like. I like the idea of going through a book and learning what it says if the preacher knows how to teach it.
Salt Lake...I'll bet there were some starving people there.

It is real' real simple' if it does not line up with the Word of God' it is to be rejected. It is just that simple

5) Giants selling books ?
Yeah. That one works too :thumb

Giant Book Sale!

1) Sale on big books
2) Sale on books for giants
3) Big book sale
4) Big sale on books
5) Giants selling books

It is real' real simple' if it does not line up with the Word of God' it is to be rejected. It is just that simple

Who's interpretation of God's word?
Some believe one must be baptised, some don't. Some believe the gifts are for today, some don't. Some believe no musical instruments in church, some don't.

Who's interpretation of God's word?
Some believe one must be baptised, some don't. Some believe the gifts are for today, some don't. Some believe no musical instruments in church, some don't.
Maybe if we all just put a little more focus on being the People God wants us to be, those other things might take on a new perspective... You know, working out your salvation with fear and trembling... Kind of puts things in it's proper perspective inho

I have walked out of Churches that were teaching a false gospel as why would I want to subject myself to false teachings. Unfortunately in my area there are no Churches that I would compromise the word of God just to be in a so called Church. So many go to Church just to feel good, but yet neglect their Spiritual health of what they are taking in as many can not even remember the sermon after leaving, but usually say I felt good while I was there. This is emotionalism that can deceive the unlearned mind as emotions can be deceiving at times and soon dissipates especially after worshiping in music right before the teaching portion.(Note: nothing wrong with worshiping God with music so please no hate replies as I love getting so caught up in the Spirit of God when I play my music at home.) How do we know of what we are hearing is truth, by testing the spirits that are speaking. 1John 4:1-6 teaches us about the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.

1John 2:27 But the anointing which ye have received of him abideth in you, and ye need not that any man teach you: but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in him.

We need not believe what every man teaches us, especially knowing we are anointed by the Holy Spirit leading us into all truths, John 14:26, as we dig deeper into Gods word and share what we have learned with others.It's in the sharing that edifies and helps lift up each other as we seek truth. I always tell others to never believe a word I say, but to confirm what I have said by reading and studying the scriptures I give and allow the Holy Spirit open their Spiritual eyes and ears to see and hear what the Holy Spirit is teaching. Just because something sounds right or makes sense through a logical mind may not always be right as in some cases logic goes out the door when that of the Spiritual needs to be discerned.

Maybe if we all just put a little more focus on being the People God wants us to be, those other things might take on a new perspective... You know, working out your salvation with fear and trembling... Kind of puts things in it's proper perspective inho

:yes:thumb

While in Salt Lake City the Baptists came to town for their convention. Instead of debating baptism we stood together on the streets of SLC handing out fliers and witnessing for Christ organized between the Baptists and Calvary Church which I attended. Other Churches throughout the valley were also in cooperation with the program. It was absolutely glorious! :thumbsup
Even through lunch we were too busy to debate any differences.

The debate may rage on but I can testify that when things come down to the nitty griity differing Christian denominations can and do work together. And not one passer-by asked about those differences. :)

allenwynne, I was doing the same thing a few months ago but I didn't get past the foyer. As I entered and progressed through the foyer the apprehensive looks and quick turning away which I received compounded by the pastor doing the same thing as I approached him was nothing I was even ready for. No one knew me as we had just moved into the area which was rural. This is apparently just how that "church" treats strangers. It was a small church and no one was behind me or in front of me; just members already there in 2 or 3 groups of two to three people. The only one who maintained eye contact to my smile and responded in a welcoming, Christian way was a special needs man who was left alone in a chair against the wall. Finally, when the pastor who had turned from me to occupy himself with a task which could have easily waited and Half-heartily offered me his hand, I responded, by shaking his hand and saying "Oh, I am in the wrong place" and turned around and left and went down the road to the next church. I had done my homework like you on-line but man, was I surprised! That church was Spiritually mortified! And they are possibly our bros and sis's. So, so, so sad; but that pastor/board will be heald accountable.

If I had experienced what you had, like Chopper, I and my wife would have gotten up and left and as I slowly walked out I would announce my contention in a restrained volume voice but so enough would hear and quote/read from Scripture what God said about it.

Last edited:
Back