Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

SPIRITUAL WARFARE IN US

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Rom 14:17 For the kingdom of God is not meat and drink; but righteousness, and peace, and joy in the Holy Ghost.

II Peter 1:20
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private interpretation.

Prophecy being through many devices.
I Corinthians 14:26
26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

As the Church we have seen many private interpretations spring up. These thoughts usually gather followers till there is another separate group with their own belief system.

Actually the Body of Christ should use all the gifts and callings together.

There should be a battle to not withdraw into our own little world. We do share with each other by faith.
Ephesians 6:12
12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Galatians 5:17
17 For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

The carnal nature is against the things of God. He works in us to accomplish his will.

Interesting to let us see how Jesus saw his calling.

Philippians 2:6-7

6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:
7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

Hopefully the inner battle transforms us into servants .
Romans 7:25
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Using our renewed mind we offer up the flesh by faith.

III John 1:4

eddif

Eddif,
First off, your humble respect, is inspiring.
I also appreciate your deep thoughts & the chance to explore different perspectives of parables and other symbolism in the scripture and in life (even our own physical bodies).

Ephesians 6:12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
This, ^ I am considering having printed up and framed in my home!
The most serious weapons today is information, like that online - people tend to believe what they read and there are some in high places who are hell-bent on twisting interpretations to make good look evil & evil look good.
Everything begins with thought - ideas - principles... then they are materialized.

We need instructions in how to battle evil. Ephesians 6 is a good place to find out what is going on.
I love the analogy of putting on the whole armour of God...
"Loins girt about with truth"... Intellectually prepared with a strong foundation.
"Breastplate of righteousness"... Our heart (& thoughts/intents) in the right place.
"Feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace"... Underlying serenity that all will work out for good for those who trust in God/GOoD
"Shield of faith"...Strong, passionate belief in goodness, that will withstand arrows of skepticism or ridicule.
"Helmet of slavation"... "As a man thinketh in his heart so is he." - Acknowledgment & dealing with evil, yet focusing on GOoD.
"Sword of the spirit (word of God)"... Trusting in God & that with the spirit, one can cut through lies and deception, as with a sword.

The immune system is used to identify things that will harm the body and do away with them...
The immune system is not to attack our good flesh / blood. If our own immune system attacks our good body we consider it to be lupus. Recognition of friend and foe is very important for the immune system to function. Thus it is important to realize that we do not fight people, but seek to eliminate the bad powers that influence people. I can think of a few instances that might seem to conflict with this general principle, but generally the principle is ok.

If we do not leap ahead to name a christian brother as the problem, but fight against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places; then we tend toward health
and not fight amoung ourselves. There does come a time to not tolerate some diseases. In this case we practice isolation.
This is a great analogy!
It is important to separate the person from the behavior.
Some groups mix them up as if they are one and the same, but they are not.
IE: There are labels for those with homosexual fetishes, as the fetishes themselves, instead of the complex people they are.
We each are very complicated - personality, temperament, beliefs, energy level, gender, age, emotional intelligence, life schemas, experiences, etc.
We are so much more than our weaknesses!

When we have disagreements with people, it's good to focus on the subject at hand, and not get personal. In debate, if one gets personal, one is considered to have lost a debate by engaging in logical fallacy ad hominem attack. I will admit that even today, I thought of personal attacks while I was having an argument with a friend - but I didn't say it to her and I took a long walk, to cool off and think it through. Then, I came to understand more that she and I both had good intensions, we were just coming from different angles and not seeing from the other's perspective. I also realize that her priorities & values are different from mine. We have grown in different ways and have less to relate to. She believes in and teaches things that I have found to be harmful. She and I both feel that because our energy is limited and we simply don't relate much anymore, it's best to move on with well-wishes for each other.

Some know much more about the immune system than I do. There is also more knowledge about the immune system still coming to light. It is not about the immune system though. It is about understanding the system God made; that we might understand the maker and not ourselves. He wants to do away with sin, and he does a lot to try and destroy the evil while keeping us alive.

Church discipline does everything to try and keep body health, but there does come a time when the offending person is turned over to satan for the destruction of the flesh; that the spirit might be saved. I suppose the whole body of Christ is to be protected from some things.

Tough love is still love. The love of God is intended for good.

eddif
I believe so strongly that God, who is love is intending and striving for good. Love is not just feeling good or helping another feel good, at the expense of doing what is right and good in the long run. There are many ugly truths in these spiritual battles - truths like what is entailed in abortion, consequences of homosexual fetish practices, extreme poverty that almost 1 billion of our brothers and sisters suffer from - many even to death. There is a lot of suffering due to the loss of such spiritual battles. I will admit that I cannot focus too long on these - I have to take breaks - to refresh myself. But I also acknowledge that such spiritual battles are ongoing - and many are needed to stand for GOoD even in the face of opposition!

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the greatest battles is accepting the differences between us.

I Corinthians 8:13
8 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.
9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.
10 For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol’s temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;
11 And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?
12 But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.
13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

One person may be strong and right.
The other person may be weak and wrong.

Both are fighting an inner battle in their relationship with God. There is a need not to fight an outward battle to correct each other.

Hebrews 8:11
11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

Hopefully we all get closer and closer to understanding the union of believers.

Hebrews 8:13
13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Me standing around clanging symbols (cymbals) will not get it done. I bet I have worn out a bunch of physical instruments that needed prophecy to be completed rather than my work. Do you present the information? Yes. Do you cause the growth? No. Do you need the input of others. Yes.

eddif

One of the greatest battles is accepting the differences between us.

I Corinthians 8:13
8 But meat commendeth us not to God: for neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat not, are we the worse.
9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.
10 For if any man see thee which hast knowledge sit at meat in the idol’s temple, shall not the conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat those things which are offered to idols;
11 And through thy knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom Christ died?
12 But when ye sin so against the brethren, and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.
13 Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother to offend.

One person may be strong and right.
The other person may be weak and wrong.

Both are fighting an inner battle in their relationship with God. There is a need not to fight an outward battle to correct each other.

Hebrews 8:11
11 And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.

Hopefully we all get closer and closer to understanding the union of believers.

Hebrews 8:13
13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

Me standing around clanging symbols (cymbals) will not get it done. I bet I have worn out a bunch of physical instruments that needed prophecy to be completed rather than my work. Do you present the information? Yes. Do you cause the growth? No. Do you need the input of others. Yes.

eddif

Mostly a good post?;) But how can all of these 'Tower of Babbling' ones 'see straight'?? Is there not just the 'few' of Rev. 18:4?

--Elijah

Mostly a good post? But how can all of these 'Tower of Babbling' ones 'see straight'?? Is there not just the 'few' of Rev. 18:4? --Elijah

Super good question.

I hope you do not feel that the answer is a cop-out.

Acts 21:13
13 Then Paul answered, What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus.

As Paul headed for Jerusalem prophets would tell him the disaster that awaited him at Jerusalem. Some did not understand the call Paul had on his life and were responsible for the v12 comment about not going. Please note there seems to be no stoning of persons giving wrong thoughts on his journey. In the OT a wrong prophecy had a death judgement. Under Grace Paul seems to point out their error and give them space to repent (he does point out their error - a lot nicer than my flesh has done).

I Corinthians 10:32
32 Give none offence, neither to the Jews, nor to the Gentiles, nor to the church of God:

As a natural Gentile (with a lot of OT background through thought).
In my carnal flesh I would just blast the Jew and Church members when they are wrong. Honestly, I have blasted away offending everyone.
+++++++++

A natural Jew might blast away at the Gentiles and Church. We all tend to defend our group.
+++++++++

Church members might blast away at the Jews, and Gentiles. They might slap each other on the back and congratulate each other on their chosen way.
+++++++++

All have sinned. Me especially at times. I am as wretched as they come. By Grace a knock came at the door of my life. I still do the things I would not do.

So Jesus died for Jews, Gentiles etc. - (list a few posts back). My flesh nature is just to educate everyone, no matter how many toes I stomp and feelings I offend. Not right at all. So here is the inner spiritual warefare the Holy Spirit puts on me. The Spirit against my flesh and my flesh against the spirit. I totally understand Jonah getting on the ship to keep from preaching to the folks at Nineveh. There are times I gripe and complain about them (wrongly). Hopefully I change to use Love (sometimes using compassion - sometimes using fear).

Boy was I honest in my answer. Maybe too honest in one sense.

I Corinthians 13:12
12 For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

My flesh is changed at the end of time. IMHO. My mind is worked on now. My heart is worked on now. I have a stony heart and a carnal mind by the fall. There is an inner battle of the Spirit working on me. The Spirit works on all of us.

Jesus is knocking on doors to find entrance into individuals in all groups.

eddif

For those who want to review how the immune system works:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immune_system

I too like your illustration about the Body and how it relates to the church at large. There are many aspects that may be mentioned when we consider the marvelous workings of God in our physical bodies. The church very much understands the nature and need for blood and we know that life is in the blood. That lines up directly in so many ways. But there is something else, outside of our physical circulatory systems that is illustrative too. When we consider the amount of blood in the normal body and the system of circulation, the heart is the pump, the white blood cells and their function, the other marvels, we may also turn to look at the lymph system to see what goes on there and consider it too.

The main difference between the blood flowing in the circulatory system and the lymph flowing in the lymph system is that blood is pressurized by the heart, while the lymph system is passive. It operates as our body moves. One may notice upon waking that there is a slight thickening to our body parts, especially if they are wearing a ring on the finger. As we wake and start moving around during our normal morning routines, this 'swelling' goes away. It's because of our body parts movement (in cooperation with each other) that this fluid starts to move too.

There is no "lymph pump" like there is a "blood pump" (the heart). Instead, fluids ooze into the lymph system and get pushed by normal body and muscle motion to the lymph nodes. This is very much like the water and sewer systems in a community. Water is actively pressurized, while sewage is passive and flows by gravity. One way this "passive" system of sewage removal is accomplished is just by normal and healthy exercise. When we go for a jog, everything is energized.

As I think of these things and the unity of the Spirit that the analogies bring to mind, I also recall singing what I'd call "Battle Songs" of the Lord.
  • Great is the Army that carries out His word; the LORD utters His voice before His army; Surely His camp is very great, For strong is he who carries out His word. The day of the LORD is indeed great and very awesome, And who can endure it?
  • Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but only one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may win. (1 Cor 9:24)
  • Psalms 29:11 May the LORD give strength to his people! May the LORD bless his people with peace!
  • Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

While considering the lymphatic system and its requirement of movement together-one-with-another for the passive system of circulation, and while I consider the ultimate elimination of waste from our tissues, another thought comes. It is not necessarily the most comely parts, not necessarily the ones that are given the most esteem or recognition that serve the crucial functions. Of course, the Apostle was making a reference to the reproductive system, but in this analogy, I'm thinking about the guy who silently enters his prayer closet and intercedes for his brothers and sisters. Intercessory prayer is a very needed function as we serve the Lord.

This brings me to what John, the beloved, said about praying according (in accord with) to the Will of God. One of the things he said was that he knows that all of his prayers are answered because he prays according to the will of God. 1John 5:14 (NIV) This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.

A little later he speaks and gives an example of what he's talking about. Let's not get sidetracked here, we don't need a debate about sin that leads to death, we know that there is such a thing, but John clearly says he's not talking about that. I'll trim that part out (you've read it before). I don't think John will mind all that much because it doesn't change the meaning even in the slightest, right? Okay, pardon me for that -- but notice I'm not twisting, he says in his defense acknowledging the name of the forum and the nature of many posts here...

If you see any brother or sister commit a sin that does not lead to death, you should pray and God will give them life.

I think this is an essential part of being a member of the Body of Christ. That we should pray, one for another, even as much as we strive in prayer over ourselves. This fulfills the 2nd Greatest Commandment. It also yields life.

So what do we do when we see sin that leads to death? What if what we see can be likened to a dog with a bone, where a favorite doctrine is being gnawed on and the ppl talking about it are clearly signaling that if anybody were to even so much as move toward their precious, their favorite pet doctrine --> they'll get bit(!)? That analogy isn't too much of a stretch to conceive of, is it?

What if two dogs are going at it and the noise levels go up so loud that it disturbs the peace of the neighborhood to the point that nobody can sleep? What then? Do we go to fetch our pitchforks and lanterns, do we wake the neighbors and demand a witch hunt so that we may mount up against the neighbor who owns one of the dogs? "Control your animal or we will burn you down!" and all the while justifying ourselves saying, "WE are commanded to contend for the FAITH!"

Or do we turn off the lights, roll over and go back to sleep, whispering a prayer that the Lord look to His concern for His people. Do we remind ourselves that we are also commanded to strive for the unity of the brotherhood and that all who call upon the Name shall be saved? I don't know of anything to do in that situation. Technically, and according to man's law these days, even if a neighbor's dog is trespassing on your property, you are not allowed to throw a stone. You could get sued.

One man says, "People need to stand and fight if they want anything to change."
Another man stands and says, "People need to sit and talk or else people will not change."

So what do we do when we see sin that leads to death? What if what we see can be likened to a dog with a bone, where a favorite doctrine is being gnawed on and the ppl talking about it are clearly signaling that if anybody were to even so much as move toward their precious, their favorite pet doctrine --> they'll get bit(!)? That analogy isn't too much of a stretch to conceive of, is it?

What if two dogs are going at it and the noise levels go up so loud that it disturbs the peace of the neighborhood to the point that nobody can sleep? What then? Do we go to fetch our pitchforks and lanterns, do we wake the neighbors and demand a witch hunt so that we may mount up against the neighbor who owns one of the dogs? "Control your animal or we will burn you down!" and all the while justifying ourselves saying, "WE are commanded to contend for the FAITH!"

Or do we turn off the lights, roll over and go back to sleep, whispering a prayer that the Lord look to His concern for His people. Do we remind ourselves that we are also commanded to strive for the unity of the brotherhood and that all who call upon the Name shall be saved? I don't know of anything to do in that situation. Technically, and according to man's law these days, even if a neighbor's dog is trespassing on your property, you are not allowed to throw a stone. You could get sued.

I Corinthians 12:9
9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

Note the gifts of healing:
A shadow falls on one man and he is healed.
Hands are laid on another and he is healed.
A spirit of feaver is rebuked and the person is healed.
One person is healed at a distance.
One has a piece of cloth bear the healing.

You started covering the differences in the human body healing systems:
The kidneys keep the body from becoming toxic (?)
The lymph system works wonders its way.
Phages are sent in the blood to fight infection.

Now we need to match those needing healing with the ones with the gifts to meet their need.

Jude 21-23
21 keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.
22 And of some have compassion, making a difference:
23 and others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Compassion works with some and fear works for others.

A battle arises in us to decide which method works for which person. This kind comes not out but by prayer and fasting. I once was told that if I startle a person standing on a cliff edge he may fall and die. So I was basically told: you are a jerk when it comes to ministering to some folks, and are going to kill some you are trying to help. Oops. Shot me down pretty quick.

Some you grab by the scruff of the neck and throw them in re-hab (and this is a form of God's Love). Other folks you might ought to let that lymph ooze into the needed area.

The spiritual warfare is sometimes very complex. There is not just one way to git er done.

The mechanic learns:
Knowledge identifies the problem
Wisdom identifies the solution
Understanding gets the part in without busting something else
Love is not cussing while working on the solution

So it is with people. One wrong medication to a person with an allergy, and they are in shock and possibly dying.

Some people can be yanked back into alignment. Some folks need relaxation therapy to gently align things.

Ya'll know too much about how I am learning some of this.

The jerk from Mississippi
eddif

Ya'll know too much about how I am learning some of this.

The jerk from Mississippi
eddif

I like what you're saying here because it indicates that no one man is responsible or rather and when taken to the proper conclusion, it indicates that God alone is.

He is the author and it is Him that does all the work. I heard part of a parable recently, the point of the parable applies differently but there was something about this subject too. It was about the Master of a House and how no man knows the hour... we are to be ready for his return. Yet, there is something there that aligns with what you have said, with what I am trying to say: "It is like a man away on a journey, who upon leaving his house and putting his slaves in charge, assigning to each one his task, also commanded the doorkeeper to stay on the alert. (Mark 13:34)"

He assigns the tasks. We sometimes take things into our hands and wrestle what is properly His decision (or attempt to). Does this spell disaster? Well, it would, if not for the grace of God. Oftentimes, yes. It does.

23 Listen and hear my voice;
pay attention and hear what I say.

24 When a farmer plows for planting, does he plow continually?
Does he keep on breaking up and working the soil?
25 When he has leveled the surface,
does he not sow caraway and scatter cumin?
Does he not plant wheat in its place,
barley in its plot,
and spelt in its field?​
26 His God instructs him
and teaches him the right way.
27 Caraway is not threshed with a sledge,
nor is the wheel of a cart rolled over cumin;
caraway is beaten out with a rod,
and cumin with a stick.
28 Grain must be ground to make bread;
so one does not go on threshing it forever.
The wheels of a threshing cart may be rolled over it,
but one does not use horses to grind grain.​
28All this also comes from the Lord Almighty,
whose plan is wonderful,
whose wisdom is magnificent.

Isaiah 28:23-29

Signed, the bird-brain from the Great Pacific Northwest
~Sparrow

It seems to me you have given us the hidden and stated the source. Symbols and ultimate realities are something.
27 Caraway is not threshed with a sledge,
nor is the wheel of a cart rolled over cumin;
caraway is beaten out with a rod,
and cumin with a stick.
28 Grain must be ground to make bread;
so one does not go on threshing it forever.
The wheels of a threshing cart may be rolled over it,
but one does not use horses to grind grain.​
28All this also comes from the Lord Almighty,
whose plan is wonderful,
whose wisdom is magnificent.

Isaiah 28:23-29 Signed, the bird-brain from the Great Pacific Northwest
~Sparrow
<LI id=post_850584 class="postbit blockrow">

I wonder how close this is.

The Jewish believers should spend a lot of time learning that the symbols of the OT point to Christ (the reality is Christ Jesus and the shadows speak of Jesus).

The Gentile believers spend a lot of time learning they were grafted into an existing relationship with God and they are in their situation by grace. While a gentile does not have to practice the ordinances as such; the commandments that a Gentile practices are supported by the Law containing ordinances.

The Church learns that they are not to complain like the Jews or act like the Gentiles, plus the Church must be made up of Jews and Gentiles and know how to promote fellowship and support teaching to both groups. The Church can not become luikewarm, but must be involved in all aspects of OT and NT teaching.

Wheat is not treated like caraway and they are not the same, but both are able to provide nourishment in the end. About the time I think understanding is coming, I discover the sunshades I have been hunting are resting on my nose. There is this great battle in us (the Holy Spirit is against our flesh and whether we like it or not, our flesh is not coming into submission without spiritual aid).

Jesus broke down the wall and we all are made into one new man. There are warnings to the Jew, Gentile and Church. There is encouragement to the Jew, Gentile and Church. We have to recognize the mind and the flesh. The sharp sword is available to seperate and understand the differences and things that we all share.

eddif

Jesus broke down the wall and we all are made into one new man. There are warnings to the Jew, Gentile and Church. There is encouragement to the Jew, Gentile and Church. We have to recognize the mind and the flesh. The sharp sword is available to seperate and understand the differences and things that we all share.

amen

amen

Yes, indeed.

Lo these years later the immune system is really in the spotlight. Covid 19 is: Active.

Also brother against brother (Church lupus) is at a high point.

Trying to calm the immune response to others is needed.

This is a theology thread. Right now.

eddif

Since 2013 I have seen a little more about warfare.

While I have the physical and spiritual connected I have not really shown the battlefield.

Revelation 21:2 kjv
2: And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband
3. And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.
4. And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

Coming down out of heaven?:
Arrived totally? No.
On the way ? Yes
Camouflaged? Maybe some

I have not yet told anything solid or asked a real question.

Jerusalem has been the area of many battles. Where in our human body is the NewJerusslem?

That are my redneck jerk question.
eddif

Roman’s 1:20

Where in our human body anatomy is the battle ground?

Where / what is the New Jerusalem?

What did Abraham seek?

Mississippi redneck
eddif

Ok no more pressure. I hope.
What I am going to do is try to describe my error that would have hindered the next stage of blattlefield 102.

My error was thinking Pentecost was an event that secured almost heaven on earth.
Now I more see Pentecost as the door being opened for the New Jerusalem to be revealed, and developed. Pentecost is really a more Jewish thing. More opens at the house of Cornelius the Gentile.

Sins dominion is broken and the one new man is finishing his emergence and growing towards maturity.

Thr folks that walk the pew backs will sure kick me out now. Well maybe the isle runners will still speak to me.
So
The New Jerusalem will be a little different this time around.
And some of my error was inside me and not outwardly posted.

Where do I. Start?

Coming up next: the Cerebellum:
In between the new heart and the new mind.
The true battlefield?
Indicators
Scriptures
Discussion
Parable levels discussed

Looking forward to our developing this.

Mississippi Redneck
eddif

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal