Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Tattoos... Yes, No?

daynayee

I keep on talking to my parents about tattoos. They said that they won't support me getting one once I turn 18, but they said that once they do not pay any of my bills I can get one. The reason I am starting this post it because I'm wanting everyone's opinions on wether they are alright or wrong. I'm leaning torwards them being okay. But, then I read this verse in the Old Testament. It is, " 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD." -Leveticus 19:28. Some people that i ahve talked to say that it is alright because this was in the Old Testament. But just because it is in the Old Testament doesn't mean that it is void, and that it isn't valid. If i did get a tattoo it would be something biblical and something personal, not somthing spur of the moment that doesn't mean anything to me.
So what is yall's stance on this subject??

~Daynayee(:

If it is to glorify God, and it isn't one of those full arm tattoos, then I would say it's OK. But don't go and put them all over your body. There is a line between having a fairly small God-glorifying tattoo and not honoring the body the God gave you. I would also honour your parents' wishes as well.

I used to have tattoos on my arms, but only the sticker types .. :lol ...... Needles freak me out ! :o

Injecting poison into human flesh defiles the temple of God. The Bible says that we are the temple of the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 6:19). If you think tattoo ink is not poisonous, think again. Some guys that I know tried removing their tattoos after turning to Christ, but the removal surgery was either too costly for them to afford, or they were afraid of the scars and bad side effects. For people who got their tattoos before they were Christians, they had to live with the ugly marks in their body, covering them with long sleeves and high collars. But God still looks at their hearts and that's what that matters ... :thumb

I have a friend who fortunately had a tattoo of Michael the angel on his arm before he became a Christian. But since he surrendered his life to Christ, he is now able to proudly and joyfully witness to people whenever people ask about his tattoo. He is not ashamed to show it off. God can still turn around mistakes for His own glory. God works all things for good for those who love Him (Romans 8:28)

:clap :clap

daynayee said:
I keep on talking to my parents about tattoos. They said that they won't support me getting one once I turn 18, but they said that once they do not pay any of my bills I can get one. The reason I am starting this post it because I'm wanting everyone's opinions on wether they are alright or wrong. I'm leaning torwards them being okay. But, then I read this verse in the Old Testament. It is, " 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. I am the LORD." -Leveticus 19:28. Some people that i ahve talked to say that it is alright because this was in the Old Testament. But just because it is in the Old Testament doesn't mean that it is void, and that it isn't valid. If i did get a tattoo it would be something biblical and something personal, not somthing spur of the moment that doesn't mean anything to me.
So what is yall's stance on this subject??

~Daynayee(:

Make sure if you do get a tattoo it is something you've thought through as that is the main consideration when getting a tattoo. It will be something that is there forever so definitely don't rush it.

As far as the 'moral' aspect. Those that don't like tattoos will tell you not to and give some reason, and those that like tattoos will tell you they are fine and may or may not give reason. If you consider your body a 'temple' there is nothing wrong with 'decorating' it. It's not near as bad a stuffing your 'temple' with McDonald's.

The point is decide for yourself, but make it an educated decision.

cheers

(My parents were highly against mine but they've come around and realized it's not such a big deal. I did wait until I was out of their house though as they have the right to make the rules under their roof whether I liked them or not)

Interestingly, I just had this discussion with my 14 year old son. He doesn't want one "yet", but we talked about them. If I understand your original post, I am in full agreement with your parents. I told him that until he is off on his own and even through college, we would not allow it. If he sneaks it in at some point before, and we find out about it, there will be consequences.

Aside from what the Bible says about the body, think about it practically. It seems like they are more popular than ever. Last summer we went to an amusement park on the very conservative west coast of Michigan. I was STUNNED at all the tattoos! Many, many of them were across the back, neck or stomach. I'm just thinking as we mature and change in any phase of life, what seems wonderful at the time can change, and then you're stuck with it. You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube - besides surgery, I think.

When you do something permanent to your body, you can't confess it and move on. You have to live with it for all the world to see and you to see every time you look in the mirror. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has experienced this and regrets greatly the day they got the tattoo. I'm going to check out the other thread mentioned to see if that's addressed.

Out of respect for your parents, especially when they are financially supporting you, I would consider their feelings. Just my :twocents

mjjcb

I don't have any tattoos, and I don't particularly like them. However, I wouldn't use the rules from Leviticus to determine whether it is OK. We simply don't follow all of those rules the way as people in Biblical era Israel. If we did, most of us would be sinning by getting a hair cut or not having a skin rash checked by the priest. As long as you aren't inking yourself for some occult purpose, it's probably not a sin against God.

For me, the question has always been more practical than moral. I know so many people that regretted them. What you want at age 18 is likely not the same as you'll want at age 38. Also, people may make judgments about your character if your tattoo is visible. That may be unfair, but it is what it is.

Well, I think that as long as the tattoo is not anything against God or anything deameaning or degrading, or just plain stupid, it's probably ok. The thing is, when your old and wrinkly and sagging, it's still going to be there, and will probably look kinda ridiculous. But no, I don't think it's immoral.

If i got a tattoo it would most definately be something that is personal and is something that will be significant to me forever. I would most likely get the verse Psalm 16:8... that verse has always been near and dear to my heart, and its something that's kindof between me and God. Ya know?
I'm not a spur of the moment person. I would pray about it. And make sure that it isn't defiling my body as being God's temple.
My dad is actually okay with tattoos completely, he just doens't want me to have one while i am still being supported by my parents at all. And i will honor that!

daynayee said:
If i got a tattoo it would most definately be something that is personal and is something that will be significant to me forever. I would most likely get the verse Psalm 16:8... that verse has always been near and dear to my heart, and its something that's kindof between me and God. Ya know?
I'm not a spur of the moment person. I would pray about it. And make sure that it isn't defiling my body as being God's temple.
My dad is actually okay with tattoos completely, he just doens't want me to have one while i am still being supported by my parents at all. And i will honor that!
:thumb. Fair enough. I am thinking of possibly doing something similar myself.

Funny story: over the Easter weekend we were over at my grandparents' place and my uncle was there also. My grandmother was going on about how my uncle shouldn't get a tattoo. Little does she know that he already has one! :lol Myself and others who knew were trying not to laugh. :D

seekandlisten said:
I did wait until I was out of their house though as they have the right to make the rules under their roof whether I liked them or not]/quote]
I think that's a very important point to consider, as honouring parents appears quite a lot in the Bible.

I wish that I'd never gotten any markings on myself. I cut myself and now I have ungodly scars and a couple of no good tattoos. That was a long time ago, I've been rid of those demons since then. I believe that God is gonna give me a new body because this flesh won't make it to heaven. I expect to be transformed in the twinkling of an eye.

Tattoos don't appear to me to be a good idea. It does not seem like a good idea to me for a Christians to get any markings at all on their flesh.

I have two tattoo's on my forearm, one with "JC" which stands for Jesus Christ and I have "God 1st" written on my other arm.

I like them, and was thinking about getting a picture of Christ soon.

I understand why people say don't have them, but I like people knowing I love Christ, especially when they expect you not too. I come from quite a tough neighborhood, its not a Christian community, it's just your typical modern environment where people are caught up with the glitz and glamour of worldy things, so if I can swing anyones thought to Christ with my tattoo, I'll take it :)

Would you think it is ok to go to the the temple in jerusalem when there was one and spray paint it? or to your local church and spray paint all over its walls??

that is what getting a tatoo does. If you are a believer then you have become the TEMPLE OF GOD. if you tatoo it then you have painted on a building that DOES NOT BELONG TO YOU.

GodspromisesRyes said:
Would you think it is ok to go to the the temple in jerusalem when there was one and spray paint it? or to your local church and spray paint all over its walls??

that is what getting a tatoo does. If you are a believer then you have become the TEMPLE OF GOD. if you tatoo it then you have painted on a building that DOES NOT BELONG TO YOU.
I see the point of your analogy, and I agree that we shouldn't spray paint the temple/church walls.

But if we are glorifying Christ with our tattoos, then I am all for it, as long as it is considered that they will not always look as good as they are now, hence don't make it too prominent. I can't remember where but I think it was Paul who said he became poor to bring the Word to the poor, and so on. I think it's important for us Christians to reach out to the typical culture which embraces worldy tattoos, and us getting one that is Christ-centred may be a good step for this.

I have tattoos that I greatly regret, and they're not even "bad" tattoos. I used to work in a tattoo parlour, and I gave people tattoos for over 3 years. Sometimes when I see them I am reminded of who I used to be, and what God has brought me through by His good Grace. But I am awfully bothered sometimes that I can't wear knee length skirts because of a particularly large tattoo on my calf. It would be like wearing a nice pretty dress with a mess of matty, tangled, dirty hair, y'know? Stupid move on my part, and at the time I thought it was cool, and for the circle of people I was in it was...but we don't think "hey, I might not want to be with these people forever...one day I might want to get up and better myself." :shame

That's what I'm talking about. I lean toward not doing anything to one's body for spiritual reasons, but it really seems like legalism to me. I'm not going to get in an debate with anyone over it. I know our bodies are our temples, but there are many subtle ways that we adorn our bodies.

As I said earlier, I don't have one and never will. Most of the reason are the ones Catherine stated. No matter how much someone thinks they won't change, people do as they grow in their years. If you don't change, it would seem like you're not maturing. Now, Lloyd got Christian tattoos. I would expect his love for Christ will never change, but I hope his personal taste in body art doesn't change, because as I said, you can't put that toothpaste back in the tube.

Shut me up if this is off topic, but it seems related. Do the same people feel the same way about plastic surgery? What if it's corrective? What if it isn't corrective, but a person is disfigured just enough to be awkward in public? And no, I've never had plastic surgery.

mjjcb

mjjcb said:
That's what I'm talking about. I lean toward not doing anything to one's body for spiritual reasons, but it really seems like legalism to me. I'm not going to get in an debate with anyone over it. I know our bodies are our temples, but there are many subtle ways that we adorn our bodies.
+1

mjjcb said:
Do the same people feel the same way about plastic surgery? What if it's corrective? What if it isn't corrective, but a person is disfigured just enough to be awkward in public?
Interesting thought. I don't remember ever actually having a disucssion on plastic surgery. Perhaps it would be good to start a new topic, but I will say that I am divided on this. I'm divided on massive disfigurements on a person's body, not just little things that people would prefer not to have.

GodspromisesRyes said:

Agreed, thats a fair point.

However, if my tattoo's can make a non-believer think of God, is that a bad thing? Would sacrificing myself to save another, or maybe a few people, bring more glory to God than just saving myself?

You're right about the temple of the body, I agree and you have made me think. But if I can save someone else, then I think it would have been worth it. But fair point.

I think we had one a looooong time ago in CT&A, but it would be good to start a new topic if you like since we have so many new people here. :thumb

Nick said:
GodspromisesRyes said:

I see the point of your analogy, and I agree that we shouldn't spray paint the temple/church walls.

But if we are glorifying Christ with our tattoos, then I am all for it, as long as it is considered that they will not always look as good as they are now, hence don't make it too prominent. I can't remember where but I think it was Paul who said he became poor to bring the Word to the poor, and so on. I think it's important for us Christians to reach out to the typical culture which embraces worldy tattoos, and us getting one that is Christ-centred may be a good step for this.
if it glorified God he would have put them on you :)

being all things to all ppl doesnt mean becomming a sinner

Back