Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Teach them the beauty of guns

Should Children be allowed to learn to shoot guns under adult supervision?

• yes

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • no

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
After a parent teacher a child how to use a gun and the child learns , what next?
They're not going to go around pointing real guns at people, I can tell you that. The purpose of teaching a child how to use a gun is to teach them how they work, as well as how not to use them. Children who are taught how to properly use a gun are less, not more, likely to treat them as toys. Ignorance regarding how to handle a gun is more dangerous than knowing how to handle one.
And again, adults need to keep their guns locked up when not in use so children can't just pick them up and tote them around.

I'm not in support of guns. The primary purpose is simple: shooting people. Using it for fun or sport is just problem or danger in disguise. Read history and know why guns were made in the first place. It was discovered accidentally by one guy like that that played with certain chemicals: thus the idea of bullets. From this...a lot happened and metamorphosised into what we have today - primarily used for its primary purpose.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Do not get very furious with me and blow apart my rubber balls with your guns. Balls dont like bullets;) :chin hehe

That may have been true when they first came into existence but that is far from the truth today.

Ask your senior citizens there what Europe would be like if Hitler had won the war. Hitler was stopped using guns. The Japanese wanted to invade the United States but decided against it because of the firepower possessed by our private citizens. Weapons are the only obstacle that prevents Islam from overrunning the world. Guns are the reason you get to enjoy and participate in your favorite sport. Terrorists don't have time for soccer and if they do, it's usually played using someones head as a ball. You have no idea the freedoms you have because of guns. Go visit Auschwitz. It was guns that put an end to that nightmare.

Did you watch the videos I posted? Look at what gun control did to those countries.

The hunters alone here in the U.S. make up the largest army in the world. They number in the millions and that's just hunters. There are millions more who don't hunt but own guns. This right to bear arms has kept our shores free from foreign invaders for the last 200 plus years.

If it were not for guns, you wouldn't have any rubber balls to shot. Think about that.

I see those movies for fun...I must be honest. How about little children? What can they learn from this?

Without guns America will still live.
you haven't watched the shows they watch today. i leave that for a parent to decide. but i can say that the cartoons i grew up on and we had more freedom with guns then, weren't as violent. and i remember when i saw teens in highschool, talking about hunting and showing off their guns in their trucks.

Spur of the moment unprovoked attack. I'm not sure if you're married or have kids brother, but if you are/do, then they are your charges. Everyone looks to the man/leader of the home for protection should the need arise. Even in homes where the wife runs everything and she has control...(a lot of men have to ask their wives if they can do anything or to have some money)...That's ok I guess as far as that goes, if it keeps the peace in the marriage, you know? But the man should realize and be ready, because in moments of crisis, the woman may quickly hand control back to the man, and say, feed us, protect us, whatever. He has to be ready to rise to this and not let her down...

My Wife did not like for me to carry a gun, but she put up with it, and sometimes, I wouldn't carry, to try and keep the peace and not provoke her. So one time years ago, we were going to go up in the mountains and play around a little and do a little hiking. I left the gun at home. On the way up, she suddenly asked me, Ed, you do have a gun don't you? I sheepishly said, uh no. She said Oh great, the one time we may actually need it and he leaves it behind...I was never unarmed again around her, lol. :blush

You know the truth. Cars are for transportation. Modified ones are good for other purposes
one doesn't need a sports car. one chooses those because they want one. im more likely to die from a car wreck then a gun. i have been injured recently from a car wreck. from a gun? 0. though there is a close call with a kid playing with a loaded gun in a game of war in ignorance. if his dead locked his weapon and taught them to shoot they wouldn't have done that. when he found out they took it , he punished them severely then taught them to shoot. they never did that again!

why is it everyone that is anti-gun is so afraid of them? im anti-soccer. i could care less about that sport. i just don't care for it. im anti- a lot of other things but sheesh.. im not for making those illegal. one of them being golf, bingo.

Does this statement not kind of sound self-contradictory that: "I was ready [Edward writes]. he was a big ol boy and I have
a hurt back, so he could have had me for
lunch, had the Lord not been with me, and
that I was armed. "

God and gun protecting you. The two or God?

Besides returning bullets don't kill (bullets coming down or falling down under gravity)

I wondered if you'd say that. No brother, there's no contradiction there. The Lord was with me, not fighting the battle for me, where I was a spectator, but with me. God didn't kill Goliath while King David stood to the side watching, king David had to participate and walk it out, and the Lord was with Him and delivered him into his hand. Same thing with me there. Where was King Davids faith at anyway? Why in the heck did he walk out there with his sling? Was God with him or not?! :wink

...and brother...please don't try to defend shooting into the air. it's irresponsible, please. Yes, I'm very much aware that if you shoot directly up then the bullet goes until it runs out of momentum and falls under gravity where it may only bruise when it comes back down. BUT, if it's fired at an oblique angle it will not run out of steam and simply begin to lose its momentum and then angle back down at a very deadly rate of speed. Overall, it is a horrible idea to shoot into the air at all and to discuss the finer points of it in open forum is really in bad taste. Just don't do it. People die easily. We are responsible for every bullet that leaves our gun. Even if one is justified in shooting the bad guy, but one round misses or just goes through his arm or something and hits the nice innocent lady behind him, you still go to prison for that.

You know the truth. Cars are for transportation. Modified ones are good for other purposes
I'm just trying to understand your position on this, that's all. Since cars were originally developed for transportation, like you say guns were originally developed for killing people, you also seem to be saying that modified cars are good for other purposes. Can I assume by modified, you mean like a sports car, which has been redesigned so that the fun of driving it is the main purpose for it, not primarily for transportation? It seems you are saying this is ok. Am I hearing you correctly? So what I don't understand is; It seems that, for example, driving a car for something other than it's original purpose when it was invented generations ago, such as sport or racing is OK with you for people who like to do that (even if you yourself might not do that). You don't seem to want to begrudge others of this pleasure. So then why do you seek to begrudge others of the pleasure of legally and morally using a gun for sport? You can't say it's because Jesus never did it because there are countless things we have or do today that Jesus didn't, but that aren't wrong. So I don't understand your position.

I understand you personally don't want to have a gun and use it for any purposes, which is no problem. I heard you are in Germany, and I don't know what the gun laws are there, but if you were here in the United States you would be free to make that choice. So why do you feel others shouldn't be able to choose? And why do you feel that others who are in a position to legally do so shouldn't teach their kids about guns so their kids will know how to be safe around them as well as develop a skill that can be shared with family and friends, much like playing baseball or going fishing with dad? THAT'S the experience of most kids who's parents teach them about gun use and safety, not killing people! The idea that if a kid knows how to safely use a gun, that kid is bound to then go out and shoot one of his friends or some other person has absolutely no basis in fact. At least not in American culture or in other free cultures. The way I'm seeing it so far is that just because you don't personally like the sports of hunting, skeet, target shooting, or whatever, that you wish to dictate that no one else should do these things in safe and legal ways and certainly shouldn't be able to involve their family members and kids. But that doesn't seem like you, so I'm sure I'm misunderstanding. Please help me understand.

Last edited:
The primary purpose is simple: shooting people.
This statement is incorrect and downright wrong.

It's not 100% wrong. Handguns were designed to shoot people. SO one could have an arm when they couldn't carry a rifle. Where's it's wrong is with the sentiment in which it's delivered. Like was noted by another poster, people who are unfamiliar with firearms fear them and have their hearts easily swayed against them altogether by the biased news media. That's where these sort of statements come from. Their basically spoken in ignorance.

What is negligently disregarded in this mans statement, is the intent of shooting people. Are you shooting them because you don't want a witness to your rape that you just did? Or are you shooting a person because they are raping/robbing or wotnot your wife or family? Big difference.

You don't have to let someone hurt you or your loved ones. There is no evil in defense.

I'm just trying to understand your position on this, that's all. Since cars were originally developed for transportation, like you say guns were originally developed for killing people, you also seem to be saying that modified cars are good for other purposes. Can I assume by modified, you mean like a sports car, which has been redesigned so that the fun of driving it is the main purpose for it, not primarily for transportation? It seems you are saying this is ok. Am I hearing you correctly? So what I don't understand is; It seems that, for example, driving a car for something other than it's original purpose when it was invented generations ago, such as sport or racing is OK with you for people who like to do that (even if you yourself might not do that). You don't seem to want to begrudge others of this pleasure. So then why do you seek to begrudge others of the pleasure of legally and morally using a gun for sport? You can't say it's because Jesus never did it because there are countless things we have or do today that Jesus didn't, but that aren't wrong. So I don't understand your position.

I understand you personally don't want to have a gun and use it for any purposes, which is no problem. I heard you are in Germany, and I don't know what the gun laws are there, but if you were here in the United States you would be free to make that choice. So why do you feel others shouldn't be able to choose? And why do you feel that others who are in a position to legally do so shouldn't teach their kids about guns so their kids will know how to be safe around them as well as develop a skill that can be shared with family and friends, much like playing baseball or going fishing with dad? THAT'S the experience of most kids who's parents teach them about gun use and safety, not killing people! The idea that if a kid knows how to safely use a gun, that kid is bound to then go out and shoot one of his friends or some other person has absolutely no basis in fact. At least not in American culture or in other free cultures. The way I'm seeing it so far is that just because you don't personally like the sports of hunting, skeet, target shooting, or whatever, that you wish to dictate that no one else should do these things in safe and legal ways and certainly shouldn't be able to involve their family members and kids. But that doesn't seem like you, so I'm sure I'm misunderstanding. Please help me understand.

Amen brother! I've been into guns my whole life, and have never shot anyone. I use them for many other purposes than killing. I can still remember those hunting trips with the kids, Tomasz shooting his first Elk, how proud he was, that he fed the family for months! The togetherness and memories of sitting around the campfire, talking guns and hunting and family. A lot of good pictures too. The sense of camaraderie and family togetherness, wow!

The evenings of cleaning guns together, teaching them how they work and so forth, teaching them how to reload their own bullets and about ballistics. This is some good quality time brothers and sisters. Geez, tinkering with guns and ammo kept me out of a lot of trouble while I was married. I'd be down in the reloading room instead of out at the beer joint being tempted.

I'm not big into sport shooting, but going up shooting with friends and family many times turned into a competition of sorts. Everyone throw 5 or 10 bucks into the coffee can and winner take all, or winner 2/3, 2nd 1/3, something like that. Scoring targets is easy, high score wins. I even have a skeet throwing machine and got the kids shotguns, and they just love that! Dusting a clay pigeon in the air is exciting. I'm not very good at skeet shooting, but pretty good amongst my circle of friends. My (ex) wife was a better shot than I was. Women who shoot are like that. It's like, they have no ego obstacle to overcome or something and just do it. My mom was better than my dad, and my wife was better than me, and so are other friends wives who shoot. Weird, but comforting. :)

I had my wife hitting gallon milk jugs of water at 100 yards with iron sights and a 5.5" 44 Mag with full house loads. She could hit it usually 4 out of 6 times, and the misses were still in there close! :yes

Investment and collection. Family heirlooms to pass down. Family togetherness. Competition. Hunting. Insurance. So many reasons to own guns besides killing people.
Teaching kids about guns also teaches honor and discretion, if done with that in mind.

If we don't teach the kids at home about guns, the only other place they can see or learn about how to handle and use them is on television, where even the good guys are reckless and unrealistic. I must've said that to my kids 10,000 times when they were young...this is real, this is not television.

I bought my kids a 4" Ruger Bearcat 22 when they were about 3 years old, to share and learn on. I would help them shoot it at shaken cans of soda pop. When they'd hit it and see the explosion of pop into the air and squeal with glee for hitting it...then, I would go pick up the split can and give it to them and say, fix it, make it better...

Of course they could not, so they would look to me dumbfounded, and I would say, this is real, this is not TV. This is what would happen to your brother or mommy if you shot them...this is real...and they caught on. Praise the Lord!

That's how you do it.

If I may interject for safety reasons, Edward is absolutely correct about the dangers of shooting firearms into the air. If you shoot an almost perfectly vertical shot, the bullet will lose its spin stabilization at the top of the curve and tumble back to earth with only the velocity imparted by gravity (minus air resistance) and be little more damaging than a hailstone. If, however, you deviate by a surprisingly small amount from true vertical, said bullet will retain its spin and most of its aerodynamically conserved speed, easily coming back down with lethal force. DON'T SHOOT INTO THE AIR.

Last edited:
If I may interject for safety reasons, Edward is absolutely correct about the dangers of shooting firearms into the air. If you shoot an almost perfectly vertical shot, the bullet will lose its spin stabilization at the top of the curve and tumble back to earth with only the velocity imparted by gravity (minus air resistance) and be little more damaging than a hailstone. If, however, you deviate by a surprisingly small amount from true vertical, said bullet will retain its spin and most of its aerodynamically conserved speed, easily coming back down with lethal force. DON'T SHOOT INTO THE AIR.

Yep. They frown on warning shots in any form because it is said that you should not draw a weapon unless you have to shoot. That warning shots indicate that you didn't fear for your life and may have been trying to intimidate someone, which is illegal. But I reeeeally don't want to shoot anyone. I had already drew on the one guy expecting him to run...and he didn't. (wow). But, I was very practiced up and confident that i could do this while backstepping into my house, and still have time for a second shot on him if the warning shot did not turn him either. So I did, and glad i did because it worked.

Same thing with the dog attack pretty much. I was walking past a four unit strip apartment building on the corner of my street (walking to a friends to visit) and they opened their door to let their dog out, and he charged right at me in attack mode. It was like I went into slow-mo at that time, I saw the proverbial line in the sand where if he crossed it...I had to act. No way to outrun this dog. He crossed it and bang right into the grass, hoping, praying...it would've been close if I had to fire a second time to hit and stop him, real close. But I had to try. Bang! and it was just like in the cartoons, four paws in the air as he did a twisting turn around and ran back to his house. I safetied it up and belted it and ran home. The next day, to my relief, the dog had a brand new chain on him in the yard. The owner obviously heard it and took the hint. Thank God for that. My friend that was with me at this time told me later that he never seen anyone draw a gun so fast. he said it was like it just appeared in my hand.

That's the thing about drawing. Don't try to draw fast. Try to draw smooth. With as least amount of motion as possible. Smooth is fast. i drove my wife nuts walking around the house drawing down on pictures and TV's for awhile. If one plans to carry for defense, it is paramount that you practice your draw countless times. From concealment of course and totally unloaded. This is so it will burn into muscle memory. Under stress we revert to our training and do not have time to think or fumble.

No one encourages shooting into the air at all. There are possibly soccer balls travelling across the sky to the opponent's 18. The bullets may damage them. The impression I was trying to correct is that the strength at which a bullet travels into the sky is not the same at which it returns to earth ( inclination, 90d vertically)

It would be castles in the air convincing an average American never to rely upon gun protection - a culture they were born into.

Why is it different in other nations of the world? Why are gun use never primary in such nations?

It would be castles in the air convincing an average American never to rely upon gun protection - a culture they were born into.

Why is it different in other nations of the world? Why are gun use never primary in such nations?

It's the same in Israel. Everybody is armed to the teeth over there.

I'm not going to address any post directly. I fear someone might blow up my balls. :chin

Oh, come on Classik. I'll be good to you and not blow you up, lol. Tell me what you think about my post in response to your which said I contradicted myself, and I responded about David and Goliath...

Back