Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• How are famous preachers sometimes effected by sin?

Join Sola Scriptura for a discussion on the subject

https://christianforums.net/threads/anointed-preaching-teaching.109331/#post-1912042

Teach them the beauty of guns

Should Children be allowed to learn to shoot guns under adult supervision?

• yes

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • no

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters
so you don't watch any war movies? those props are fully functional weapons. a less then lethal round from a cop can kill. shoot blanks can kill. Brandon lee died from a blank shot at his chest from a weapon less then seven feet from his body.
I see those movies for fun...I must be honest. How about little children? What can they learn from this?

Without guns America will still live.

I would say it has three primary uses
1. to rob and rape and kill offensively and unlawfully
2. to protect one from the above in a lawful manner.
3 hunting and sports use.

Its a tool any tool can kill in the hands of the wrong human
baseball bat can kill if in the wrong hands.
so can a butter knife or a car

Suppose all guns were; not available at all any where
and people started killing with cars and or knives and bats.
would you advocate removing cars and knives and bats from society also?
Originally guns were not made for sports

People can use anything to kill if that's what they really desire. Guns just happen to be one of the more efficient tools. And that's also what makes them efficient for self defense purposes. Owning such a weapon doesn't mean that I want to shoot people, in my case it just means that I wish to be able to effectively prevent people from hurting me should they try.

People DO need to learn how to use guns properly. It's called gun safety. Despite what I've been saying about self defense, I actually don't own a gun at this time. I would take a class or learn about them from someone who is familiar with guns before getting one.
I think children should learn about gun safety. If a gun does somehow make it into their hands, they will know to treat carefully and not like a toy or carelessly.

Also, there are people who have hobbies involving guns that doesn't involve killing people.
Give a child a toy gun today and watch him use it. He will point it at someone and demonstrate 'killing ' or destroying a stationary object. What they see is tool of destruction.

Should children be allowed to handle guns? A child will remain a child whether there is gun safety instructions for him or not. He would pull the trigger one day.

I take it you're a .45 guy, Edward? I'm more of a 9 miller, myself. :shades

Yes I am brother! and also 44 Mag., & Special, and 45 Colt. I just love big bores. Their so easy to reload for. I don't have anything against 9 millies but would never buy one. I did load some ammo for my buddy's 9 and found it persnickety to load for. Took me awhile to get a decent load for him that would give groups that didn't look like a buckshot pattern, lol.
I cast for most of them too.

I used to joke that if I were to want a 9mm, that I could just load light loads for the 44 special and have it, lol. :lol

Last edited:
Back to the topic.

My opinion? Absolutely! It is far better for them to learn under adult supervision than to learn it on their own.

Christ didnt pull a trigger

No, but He did say that we should have a sword or two. Even if you have to sell your cloak and buy one. Since there were no firearms yet in those days, the sword was the best defensive weapon going at the time, but now that we have firearms, I believe in my heart that Jesus would be ok with it. As long as we do not idolize them, or to use them for evil purposes.

Last edited:
Back to the topic.

My opinion? Absolutely! It is far better for them to learn under adult supervision than to learn it on their own.

Agreed brother. I also think that when children are young and learning weaponry, that there should be one adult per child to keep things under control. Kids are fast and could run into the line of fire. I always encouraged my wife to go too for this reason and she would. When they were toddlers and I was teaching them, I basically had them encapsulated, behind them with both arms around them and basically all they had to do was to hold on and pull the trigger. Both of my sons shot 45acp's before they were 5 years old. but mostly their shooting was 22 rimfires, both handgun and rifle. One time I remember the wife didn't feel like going, so when one of them were shooting (and I wrapped around them), I had the other boy stand behind me and put his hand on my back so I could feel it and stay there until we were finished shooting. I didn't want to take any chances.

I see those movies for fun...I must be honest. How about little children? What can they learn from this?

Without guns America will still live.
It's like with cartoons: parents teach their children that you don't go around doing some of the crazy stuff shown in cartoons. Parents teach their children that guns are not toys, and they can hurt people when not handled with respect.

Give a child a toy gun today and watch him use it. He will point it at someone and demonstrate 'killing ' or destroying a stationary object. What they see is tool of destruction.

Should children be allowed to handle guns? A child will remain a child whether there is gun safety instructions for him or not. He would pull the trigger one day.
As I said in a previous post, no one, least of all me, is saying children should be able to use guns. Only under strict adult supervision. What I am saying is, they should know how to handle them safely and how to use them correctly, specifically because they are dangerous.

You sound like you don't know much about guns nor the people who use them, nor how we are taught to handle them. My dad had a hand gun, for safety purposes. Before he was paralyzed (for reasons that had nothing whatsoever to do with guns), I remember him doing some target practice. He stressed safety above all else. We were not allowed to handle his gun.
My uncle had guns, some of them for hunting. He kept them locked up, especially when children were around.
My aunt used to hunt. She has a couple deer heads on her living room walls.
I've only ever rarely touched a gun myself (aside from a BB gun), but I've been around those who have and use them enough to know a few things about them.

Last edited:
Why should I be armed...what am I guarding against?

Spur of the moment unprovoked attack. I'm not sure if you're married or have kids brother, but if you are/do, then they are your charges. Everyone looks to the man/leader of the home for protection should the need arise. Even in homes where the wife runs everything and she has control...(a lot of men have to ask their wives if they can do anything or to have some money)...That's ok I guess as far as that goes, if it keeps the peace in the marriage, you know? But the man should realize and be ready, because in moments of crisis, the woman may quickly hand control back to the man, and say, feed us, protect us, whatever. He has to be ready to rise to this and not let her down.

You may not be a trouble maker, you may be the most gentle person in town and just stay home and mind your own business...but trouble could come knocking on your door. (It did me!) Luckily I was ready. he was a big ol boy and I have a hurt back, so he could have had me for lunch, had the Lord not been with me, and that I was armed. These are the last days brother, and famine is probably coming too. Even normally peaceful people can turn violent and cross lines, when they or their family is hungry.

It doesn't mean that you would have to shoot them, even if something did happen. Most times the mere display of a weapon will end the confrontation. I was attacked by a big dog once too, and I didn't have to shoot him either. Just one warning shot into the grass to turn him and it worked, praise the Lord.

(Never shoot a warning shot into the air! what goes up, must come down, and people have been killed like that before.)

Owning a firearm, gives you options. It buys you time when time is short. Time for the fam to get to the safe room perhaps, whatever. Gives you time to think about how to control the situation.

Spur of the moment unprovoked attack. I'm not sure if you're married or have kids brother, but if you are/do, then they are your charges. Everyone looks to the man/leader of the home for protection should the need arise. Even in homes where the wife runs everything and she has control...(a lot of men have to ask their wives if they can do anything or to have some money)...That's ok I guess as far as that goes, if it keeps the peace in the marriage, you know? But the man should realize and be ready, because in moments of crisis, the woman may quickly hand control back to the man, and say, feed us, protect us, whatever. He has to be ready to rise to this and not let her down.

You may not be a trouble maker, you may be the most gentle person in town and just stay home and mind your own business...but trouble could come knocking on your door. (It did me!) Luckily I was ready. he was a big ol boy and I have a hurt back, so he could have had me for lunch, had the Lord not been with me, and that I was armed. These are the last days brother, and famine is probably coming too. Even normally peaceful people can turn violent and cross lines, when they or their family is hungry.

It doesn't mean that you would have to shoot them, even if something did happen. Most times the mere display of a weapon will end the confrontation. I was attacked by a big dog once too, and I didn't have to shoot him either. Just one warning shot into the grass to turn him and it worked, praise the Lord.

(Never shoot a warning shot into the air! what goes up, must come down, and people have been killed like that before.)

Owning a firearm, gives you options. It buys you time when time is short. Time for the fam to get to the safe room perhaps, whatever. Gives you time to think about how to control the situation.
Does this statement not kind of sound self-contradictory that: "I was ready [Edward writes]. he was a big ol boy and I have
a hurt back, so he could have had me for
lunch, had the Lord not been with me, and
that I was armed. "

God and gun protecting you. The two or God?

Besides returning bullets don't kill (bullets coming down or falling down under gravity)

Originally cars were not made for sport. Do you believe that means auto racing is bad or that people shouldn't be allowed to own a sports car?
You know the truth. Cars are for transportation. Modified ones are good for other purposes

Back to the topic.

After learning what next?

As I said in a previous post, no one, least of all me, is saying children should be able to use guns. Only under strict adult supervision. What I am saying is, they should know how to handle them safely and how to use them correctly, specifically because they are dangerous.

You sound like you don't know much about guns nor the people who use them, nor how we are taught to handle them. My dad had a hand gun, for safety purposes. Before he was paralyzed (for reasons that had nothing whatsoever to do with guns), I remember him doing some target practice. He stressed safety above all else. We were not allowed to handle his gun.
My uncle had guns, some of them for hunting. He kept them locked up, especially when children were around.
I've only ever rarely touched a gun myself (aside from a BB gun), but I've been around those who have and use them enough to know a few things about them.

I agree with everything you said sister. :) My dad did too, boy, he was safety safety safety. He taught us that we should not trust the safety mechanism on any gun...that we are the safety.

Another thing that I think where parents go wrong is with BB guns and pellet guns. They buy their kid a toy BB gun so they can get into the gun scene safely, get em a toy BB gun for now..WRONG! A lot of kids get hurt and eyes put out with those things because the parents regard them as toys and do not supervise them to the same extent as they would with a "real" firearm. Todays BB guns are more powerful than ever and some even approach the power level of a 22. They are for serious low noise practice and teaching tools. Even if they would not walk away from the kid with a 22, they will go into the house for a coffee or beer while the kids are in the backyard shooting a BB gun. That's when accidents happen. I got my kids real 22's first and waited years before getting them BB guns. They are not toys.

It's like with cartoons: parents teach their children that you don't go around doing some of the crazy stuff shown in cartoons. Parents teach their children that guns are not toys, and they can hurt people when not handled with respect.
After a parent teacher a child how to use a gun and the child learns , what next?

What do I need a gun for? I currently don't have squirrels. Even if I do I think there are better ways to hunt them down

I agree with everything you said sister. :) My dad did too, boy, he was safety safety safety. He taught us that we should not trust the safety mechanism on any gun...that we are the safety.

Another thing that I think where parents go wrong is with BB guns and pellet guns. They buy their kid a toy BB gun so they can get into the gun scene safely, get em a toy BB gun for now..WRONG! A lot of kids get hurt and eyes put out with those things because the parents regard them as toys and do not supervise them to the same extent as they would with a "real" firearm. Todays BB guns are more powerful than ever and some even approach the power level of a 22. They are for serious low noise practice and teaching tools. Even if they would not walk away from the kid with a 22, they will go into the house for a coffee or beer while the kids are in the backyard shooting a BB gun. That's when accidents happen. I got my kids real 22's first and waited years before getting them BB guns. They are not toys.
Absolutely on the BB guns. My brother was not allowed to own one until my dad was sure he would handle it responsibly.
I only ever handled them on a couple of shooting range exercises. Got a badge for one, hitting the target so many times.

After learning what next?

Good question brother. Situational ethics, disparity of force, shoot/no-shoot decision making. The idea is to stay alive, not just to win no matter what. Can you run instead of shoot? What to do if you do have to shoot someone, what to expect. They could be shot and down and off their feet...they're still a potential threat! Back off, seek cover, reload. Do not approach too soon if at all. The difference between cover and concealment. How to behave towards the police when they show up. What bullets will and will not do to different materials, like wood, drywall, metal and so forth. Be sure of your target, and what is beyond it if a miss or over-penetration occurs. Things like that.

And practice practice practice.

Back