Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Site Restructuring

The site is currently undergoing some restructuring, which will take some time. Sorry for the inconvenience if things are a little hard to find right now.

Please let us know if you find any new problems with the way things work and we will get them fixed. You can always report any problems or difficulty finding something in the Talk With The Staff / Report a site issue forum.

Teach them the beauty of guns

Should Children be allowed to learn to shoot guns under adult supervision?

• yes

Votes: 14 66.7%
  • no

Votes: 7 33.3%

• Total voters

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
There's no mention of God needing a sword for protection.

Why did Jesus tell His disciples to buy a sword?

There is a correct answer for that question.
Did HE really say that? Are we to take it literally? Put on the whole armour of God could also be interpreted as: guard yourself like an ancient warrior with javelin, spears, arrows etc or with modern war equipment.

I addressed this very thing a few posts ago. Perhaps I didn't word it in such a way as to be easily understood. If you don't live in the US, English probably isn't your first language, correct?
Here's what I said:

In other words, Peter fighting the government taking Jesus to trial would have been a losing battle.
Was bringing you to take a deeper look at that verse.

Was bringing you to take a deeper look at that verse.
It was off the top of my head, as I said. It was all my observation, being highly familiar with this event in the gospel accounts, I've never heard it anywhere else before, and it came from asking myself the question "why might Jesus have said that?"

Anyway, I was just offering my perspective, as someone who sees this issue from a different viewpoint. Perhaps you could offer your own analysis?

At any rate, it's almost midnight, and I'm going to be up at 8 tomorrow for a day of fun. (And probably spending too much money on merchandise, too, but oh well....) So good night.

Last edited:
Evil in the heart of man? You are missing up the whole thing here. What about stray bullets? What about manslaughter? Are all these from an evil heart?

I didn't say Christians who have guns are evil or do stuff from an evil heart...did I? Overly dependency on gun potency is actually what I'm against - which I believe isn't right for a Christian.

I have a question for you. Will toy answer this?

Huh? Is it stray bullets that are doing all of the killing? Stray bullets come (mostly) from people who carry a gun, that are not fully practiced up and familiar with their arm. Most if not all of the people that I know that carry guns, are what you call, enthusiasts...people who take it seriously and practice regularly. Not of the type who watch TV and see robocop and are like, yeah, gonna get me a gat and carry and everyone better watch out. These types don't practice or take their craft seriously and have a lot more stray bullets than enthusiasts do.

"Overly dependency on gun potency"...that's a good point there brother. Handguns are really not all that powerful, and there's a lot of room there left for faith in God, lol. A LOT. 9mms are especially ineffective in all but the most powerful loadings (+P+ loads). That's why the big 45 vs 9mm debate has raged for decades. Is it better to have more rounds of a less powerful cartridge, or less rounds of a more powerful cartridge? Personally, I feel like less rounds of a more powerful cartridge are the better bet, people do go down fairly easy.Even the big and bad vaunted 45acp is a really weak cartridge. It isn't good for anything except small game, target shooting, and defense against people. It has real low penetration so any sort of big game is out of the question with it.

But that also makes it a better choice for defense carry than the 9mm. The 9mms tend to over penetrate because they are pointy and higher velocity. A big concern for defense carry. People who watch TV too much usually idolize their guns and are overly dependent on them instead of the Lord. Not good. Getting guns into the wrong hands can not be cured by outlawing them. Criminals do not get thier guns through legal channels anyway, and from what I understand, one can even make a gun in their garage pretty darn easy. So that isn't the answer. If they actually enforced the laws and kept these criminals in prison, crime would go way down, but they regurgitate them back onto the street. :sad

What do you mean by will toy answer this?

It was off the top of my head, as I said. It was all my observation, I've never heard it anywhere else before, and it came from asking myself the question "why might Jesus have said that?"

Anyway, I was just offering my perspective, as someone who sees this issue from a different viewpoint. Perhaps you could offer your own analysis?

At any rate, it's almost midnight, and I'm going to be up at 8 tomorrow for a day of fun. (And probably spending too much money on merchandise, too, but oh well....) So good night.
Good night. Remember to shut the doors. LOL. :chin

Why did Jesus condemn Peter's attitude?

Because He wasn't there to fight, He was there to be crucified on the cross and He knew it. The disciples didn't know this and only knew that Jesus was special, so they had the instinct to protect Him. A natural reaction.

Huh? Is it stray bullets that are doing all of the killing? Stray bullets come (mostly) from people who carry a gun, that are not fully practiced up and familiar with their arm. Most if not all of the people that I know that carry guns, are what you call, enthusiasts...people who take it seriously and practice regularly. Not of the type who watch TV and see robocop and are like, yeah, gonna get me a gat and carry and everyone better watch out. These types don't practice or take their craft seriously and have a lot more stray bullets than enthusiasts do.

"Overly dependency on gun potency"...that's a good point there brother. Handguns are really not all that powerful, and there's a lot of room there left for faith in God, lol. A LOT. 9mms are especially ineffective in all but the most powerful loadings (+P+ loads). That's why the big 45 vs 9mm debate has raged for decades. Is it better to have more rounds of a less powerful cartridge, or less rounds of a more powerful cartridge? Personally, I feel like less rounds of a more powerful cartridge are the better bet, people do go down fairly easy.Even the big and bad vaunted 45acp is a really weak cartridge. It isn't good for anything except small game, target shooting, and defense against people. It has real low penetration so any sort of big game is out of the question with it.

But that also makes it a better choice for defense carry than the 9mm. The 9mms tend to over penetrate because they are pointy and higher velocity. A big concern for defense carry. People who watch TV too much usually idolize their guns and are overly dependent on them instead of the Lord. Not good. Getting guns into the wrong hands can not be cured by outlawing them. Criminals do not get thier guns through legal channels anyway, and from what I understand, one can even make a gun in their garage pretty darn easy. So that isn't the answer. If they actually enforced the laws and kept these criminals in prison, crime would go way down, but they regurgitate them back onto the street. :sad

What do you mean by will toy answer this?
My fingers.
I wanted to write: will you answer it?

Because He wasn't there to fight, He was there to be crucified on the cross and He knew it. The disciples didn't know this and only knew that Jesus was special, so they had the instinct to protect Him. A natural reaction.
That is to say, the claim that Jesus asked them to buy swords is wrong or misinterpreted?

Did HE really say that? Are we to take it literally? Put on the whole armour of God could also be interpreted as: guard yourself like an ancient warrior with javelin, spears, arrows etc or with modern war equipment.

Yes He said that and it had nothing to do with the armor of God.

Luke 22
36 Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.
37 For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: ‘And He was numbered with the transgressors.’ For the things concerning Me have an end.”
38 So they said, “Lord, look, here are two swords. And He said to them, “It is enough.”

9769d1388196126-matter-taste-soapbox.gif

Two questions for you. I will ask hen one after another.

In a family of 60 (a mixture of grandpa and ma, mother and father and children and progeny )where say 52 have guns and the rest don't...if you are asked, what do you think the family members use buns for guns? Not toy guns.

Yes He said that and it had nothing to do with the armor of God.

Luke 22
36 Then He said to them, “But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one.
37 For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: ‘And He was numbered with the transgressors.’ For the things concerning Me have an end.”
38 So they said, “Lord, look, here are two swords. And He said to them, “It is enough.”

9769d1388196126-matter-taste-soapbox.gif

Do you have 100% assurance HE meant "physical sword"?

Thanks for answering.
So why didn't they buy?

Because they already had 2 swords.

Luke 22
38 So they said, “Lord, look, here are two swords.” And He said to them, “It is enough.”

If they did why didn't they use it?

They did.

Luke 22
50 And one of them struck the servant of the high priest and cut off his right ear.

If they bought it would Christ use one?

He did use it, but not in the conventional sense. Look closely.

Luke 22

The transgressors that He was numbered with were not just the two He was crucified with. His disciples were also included in this number. That's why they immediately bolted when Jesus was arrested.

Matthew 26
31 Then Jesus said to them, “All of you will be made to stumble because of Me this night, for it is written:

‘I will strike the Shepherd,
And the sheep of the flock will be scattered.’

This whole thing with the sword is a fulfillment of prophecy. He wasn't supporting violence, but in order to fulfill what was predicted about Him, violence was necessary. (the cutting off of the servants ear)

Do you have any questions?

Two questions for you. I will ask hen one after another.

In a family of 60 (a mixture of grandpa and ma, mother and father and children and progeny )where say 52 have guns and the rest don't...if you are asked, what do you think the family members use buns for guns? Not toy guns.
I would assume hunting, or some sort of hobby. Or a strong belief in the usefulness of guns for self defense.

Perhaps because my experience with guns and those who have them have been 99% positive. The only negative experience with a gun I've personally had was when someone threatened to kill themselves, and I knew they had a gun within a few feet of them. They didn't carry out their threat, and come to find out they hadn't meant what they said, either. That wasn't a pleasant night, at any rate.
Well, that and my uncle once had an accident with his gun, where the bullet grazed his leg. Fortunately it wasn't at all serious.

Last edited:

Donations

Total amount
$1,642.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back