Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Are you taking the time to pray? Christ is the answer in times of need

https://christianforums.net/threads/psalm-70-1-save-me-o-god-lord-help-me-now.108509/

• The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

• Looking to grow in the word of God more?

See our Bible Studies and Devotionals sections in Christian Growth

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Have questions about the Christian faith?

Come ask us what's on your mind in Questions and Answers

• Wearing the right shoes, and properly clothed spiritually?

Join Elected By Him for a devotional on Ephesians 6:14-15

https://christianforums.net/threads/devotional-selecting-the-proper-shoes.109094/

The Baptism of Jesus - Trinity or Tritheism?

The rest of your argument doesn't address the issues I raised either. I said in essence that what is contradictiory in the natural world, or that is, impossible, does not have to be impossible in the supernatural world

Do you believe that it would not necessarily be impossible/contradictory to imagine that God could be God, and yet NOT be God, according to the logic of this "spiritual realm"?

This question is theoretical - I am not suggesting the bible says this. What I want to find out is HOW ILLOGICAL a proposition would have to be, in the "natural realm", before it ALSO would have to be considered illogical in the "spiritual realm"?

But what you are saying in that quote involves that the law of non-contradiction does not apply to God.

No, I'm not saying that at all. You are trying to force that idea on what I'm saying.

I'm saying that the supernatural realm is different than the natural. We only know as much about the supernatural as is represented in Scripture. We cannot say that those representations are illogical when they are different than the natural world, as long as Scripture does not contradict itself in the representations. You are trying to mix what would be contradictory in one realm, with it having to be contradictory is another realm--apparently with the purpose of holding that the Scriptural concept of God has to be considered incoherent. That's a device on your part to accomplish an objective in your beliefs. There is no contradiction in itself, nothing incoherent, in representing that there is a supernatural realm with different properties of existence from the natural. However, we do only have a partial understanding of those properties, only as much as of an understanding as Scripture relates--but that doesn't make them contradictiory. We only have a partial understanding of many things in the natural world, such as electricity, but no one holds electricity is contradictory, only mysterious.

Regards,

Paul

Do you believe that it would not necessarily be impossible/contradictory to imagine that God could be God, and yet NOT be God, according to the logic of this "spiritual realm"?

This question is theoretical - I am not suggesting the bible says this. What I want to find out is HOW ILLOGICAL a proposition would have to be, in the "natural realm", before it ALSO would have to be considered illogical in the "spiritual realm"?

I believe that I can only know as much about the supernatural realm as Scripture represents. The Bible represents the Holy Spirit is the author of Scripture. He knows exactly what the supernatural realm is like. As much as he conveys about that realm, I believe is the truth. As much as has not been conveyed is a matter of speculation. Do you believe people at one time lived on Mars, or now do under ground??

Scripture relates as much about God and the supernatural world as needed for people to have a relationship with him, and to understand how the supernatural realm is affecting their natural existence. I don't need to know if God cannot be God, unless Scripture says I need to know it, just like it really doesn't matter to me now if men lived on Mars. However, I could speculate, if i was in the mood and my chess set was misplaced somehow.

Regards,

Paul

PS--the forum software seems to work fine, except when I press "submit" to post a message. Then it hangs suspended the longest time before going through. Am I doing something wrong???

I believe that I can only know as much about the supernatural realm as Scripture represents. The Bible represents the Holy Spirit is the author of Scripture. He knows exactly what the supernatural realm is like. As much as he conveys about that realm, I believe is the truth. As much as has not been conveyed is a matter of speculation. Do you believe people at one time lived on Mars, or now do under ground??

Your example question is not relevant to my point. It is possible that there was life on mars in the past, and it is possible there was NOT. In either case, we are not dealing with a self-contradiction. But if someone said that there was life on Mars in the past and yet there was NOT life on mars in the past, that would be an absurd statement.

Scripture relates as much about God and the supernatural world as needed for people to have a relationship with him, and to understand how the supernatural realm is affecting their natural existence. I don't need to know if God cannot be God, unless Scripture says I need to know it, just like it really doesn't matter to me now if men lived on Mars. However, I could speculate, if i was in the mood and my chess set was misplaced somehow

So if the scripture plainly said that God was God and yet NOT God, you would believe that, and believe that it was not a self-contradictory proposition?

MPaul said:
But what you are saying in that quote involves that the law of non-contradiction does not apply to God.

No, I'm not saying that at all. You are trying to force that idea on what I'm saying.

I'm saying that the supernatural realm is different than the natural.

You are saying that the supernatural realm is different... you are saying that the law of non-contradiction DOES NOT APPLY.

That is going to cause theology serious problems.

BradtheImpaler said:
So if the scripture plainly said that God was God and yet NOT God, you would believe that, and believe that it was not a self-contradictory proposition?

If a proposition is basically meaningless to us, as your example certainly appears to be in my view, I think it becomes very questionable that you can talk about it perhaps being possible in a "supernatural sphere".

If a proposition is that meaningless, we aren't sure if it has any "content" at all. How can we start speculating that it could be actual? What could be actual?

MPaul said:
You are trying to mix what would be contradictory in one realm, with it having to be contradictory in another realm

If an (ordinarily) contradictory proposition isn't a "contradiction" in the supernatural world, its completely irrelevant to what I am saying.

The problem comes when you allow what we would ordinarily understand to be a contradiction into the realm of theology.

The Bible does not say God is God and yet not God. On the Trinity, it is entirely consistent throughout. It represents God as three in one. It does not represent God as just the Father, but not the Son, and not the Holy Spirit, and then does represent God as a Trinity. It does not represent God as just the Father and the Son, but not the Holy Spirit, and then does represent God as a Trinity--or whatever other combination of the persons that can be made in an inconsistent manner is not found in Scripture. It consistently represents God as the Father-Son-Spirit, as one God in a tri-unity.

You are trying to use maneuvering to force a contradiction on Scripture, to force the appearance that I accept contradictions as a Christian believer--apparently because it means that much to you to disprove the Trinity, probably because you know that the Christian religion then cannot be considered valid. There is no abuse of logic in the Bible on representing the Trinity; it is consisent throughout Scripture; but there is often trick logic to finding ways to deny it.

Regards,

Paul

You are saying that the supernatural realm is different... you are saying that the law of non-contradiction DOES NOT APPLY.

No, the Bible never contradicts itself on the Trinity. It consistently represents God as a tri-unity. You merely desire to believe that because the supernatural world is represented in the Bible different than the natural world, that is a contradiction of Scripture. Mixing concepts for the purpose of achieving a pre-conceived objective is a serious problem for those who desire to assert what is truth; however, a made up concept of the law of non-contradiction is no problem at all for theologians.

If a proposition is basically meaningless to us, as your example certainly appears to be in my view, I think it becomes very questionable that you can talk about it perhaps being possible in a "supernatural sphere".

If a proposition is that meaningless, we aren't sure if it has any "content" at all. How can we start speculating that it could be actual? What could be actual?

The proposition can only be meaningless to you, because you simply prefer not to believe a supernatural world is possible that has different properties than the natural world. How can we be sure the supernatural world is actual?? The Bible says we can know it is the Word of God because of its predictive prophecies. The God of the Bible and the supernatural world are in control of time. In the natural world, we do not control time. It controls us. The example I've been using of this predictive prophecy element is the recreation of Israel in a single day, about 2,500 years after the nation being destroyed by conquest. However, a person can spend an entire life time studying Bible prophecy. I could quote you some examples at length, if you'd like, but technically, that would be a new subject.

If an (ordinarily) contradictory proposition isn't a "contradiction" in the supernatural world, its completely irrelevant to what I am saying

The problem comes when you allow what we would ordinarily understand to be a contradiction into the realm of theology.

The propositions from Scripture on the supernatural realm in themselves are not contradictory, but entirely consistent. They state in essence the properties of existence are different in the supernatural realm from the natural realm. They do not say at one time the properties are the same as the natural realm, and then another time that the properties are different--although similarities in some respects are noted. You are trying to force the concept that because properties are represented as different in one area of existence from another area of existence, they contradict each other. Wrong--there is only a contradiction, if the properties from the natural world contradict each other, or if properties of the supernatural world contradict each other. There is no contradiction if one set of laws for one realm are consistently represented, even if they differ from a set of laws in another realm.

Basically, it appears you very much just want to believe the Chrisitan religion is not valid, and knowing that the Trinity is essential to it, you want to confirm your belief by forcing the representation of the supernatural world on being different from the natural into a concept of contradiction.

The real question is not contradiction--but is Scripture truely the word of God?? However, there is no contradiction in noting that for the creator all things are possible. There would be a contradiction, if the Bible said all things are possible for God, and then said all things are not possible for God. Humans only have an extremely limited understanding of the natural world and how it came to be--yet, at times, they like to use that limited knowledge to allege they can know what cannot be known from what is perceived by the senses of the flesh, especially when such a device is convenient for denying the truth of Christian morality. They don't know how to make a universe, or even a mouse or an insect, but they do know how the creator should be limited in his own existence.

Regards,

Paul

Could someone tell me, is there a very long waiting period in the forum software after clicking "Submit" for a post to appear, or is it my own browser or something?? If only I were Catholic, I could pray the rosary beads while waiting for the post to go through, but I have nothing like that.

Also, is there a way to put a thread in print format?? I like to save a thread that way and type up answers off line, but I don't see a "Print" button.

Thank you,

Paul

Could someone tell me, is there a very long waiting period in the forum software after clicking "Submit" for a post to appear, or is it my own browser or something?? If only I were Catholic, I could pray the rosary beads while waiting for the post to go through, but I have nothing like that.

Its not your browser, we have been having trouble for a while now. But we are working on fixing it so please be patient. :wink:

Sorry, I don't believe we have a print button.

MPaul said:

The Bible does not say God is God and yet not God.

It seems that Brad is asking a hypothetical question, which may be a good way to illuminate whether your position is coherent.

If you don't wish to go along with it, perhaps you fear your position isn't coherent?

MPaul said:

No, the Bible never contradicts itself on the Trinity.

Again, you are going off on a tangent.

MPaul said:
a made up concept of the law of non-contradiction is no problem at all for theologians.

In your opinion perhaps. Not everyone would agree-

"If then we deny that logic applies to God, we undermine our ability to know anything about God. Take for example, Paul's promise "That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." (Rom. 10:9) Now it appears that as Van Til would have it, the law of non-contradiction does not apply to God. If so, then in light of God's promise in Romans 10:9, two contradictory states of affairs could obtain such that we could be saved and not saved, or God though morally perfect could in this case be lying. So if we accept that no truth, including the law of non-contradiction, can apply univocally to God and creatures, then any theological assertion we care to make - God is three persons, Jesus is God - could be simultaneously true and false. If this is Van Til's position Hoeksema is indeed correct that it would "destroy the very foundations of theology." Under the rubric of divine sovereignty and transcendence, we would undermine our ability to say anything whatsoever about God. Along similar lines, to identify a contradiction with God would undermine theology, and by extension creation, apparently leaving us in a morass of trivialism."

http://www.quodlibet.net/rauser-trinity.shtml

MPaul said:
The proposition can only be meaningless to you, because you simply prefer not to believe a supernatural world is possible that has different properties than the natural world.

"God was God and yet NOT God"

It looks fairly meaningless to me, but you seem to think different. Good! you can explain what meaning the statement has!

MPaul said:
However, there is no contradiction in noting that for the creator all things are possible.

You are aware that theologians (generally) limit God's omnipotence to what is logically possible?

MPaul said:
There is no abuse of logic in the Bible on representing the Trinity; it is consisent throughout Scripture; but there is often trick logic to finding ways to deny it.

Lets assume that the Bible is consisent throughout in portraying God as a "tri-unity".

That the Bible is consistent in this, doesn't show that the doctrine itself is consistent.

I could consistently say that sheep have wings. Nevertheless, wings are not consistent with sheep!

MPaul said:
There would be a contradiction, if the Bible said all things are possible for God, and then said all things are not possible for God.

I agree that looks like a contradiction. Perhaps it wouldn't be a contradiciton in the supernatural world?

It seems that Brad is asking a hypothetical question, which may be a good way to illuminate whether your position is coherent.

If you don't wish to go along with it, perhaps you fear your position isn't coherent?

Oh, so Brad cannot state what his position is, cannot adequately represent what he wants to say, unless I first answer a hypothetical question?? And, as long as I don't answer the question, I can be certain he can't present his real position?? My response actually indicated the irrelevance of his question. However, you would like to try to fabricate the notion that my response is a fear over the inadequacy of my position. You cannot demonstrate factually its incoherence, but by imposing a psychoanalysis on the possibility of my motives in my manner of responding, you believe a way is established to indicate that it must be. But you do not establish any fear on my part--you merely fabricate it on my behalf, having no other way to create an appearance of prevailing in your position.

Again, you are going off on a tangent.

The last time you told me I was going off on a tangent, you did not demonstrate how. Again, you make a general statement on my going off on a tangent without setting out any basis for support--it's a way of fabricating an answer when you really don't have one.

"If then we deny that logic applies to God, we undermine our ability to know anything about God. Take for example, Paul's promise "That if you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved." (Rom. 10:9) Now it appears that as Van Til would have it, the law of non-contradiction does not apply to God. If so, then in light of God's promise in Romans 10:9, two contradictory states of affairs could obtain such that we could be saved and not saved, or God though morally perfect could in this case be lying. So if we accept that no truth, including the law of non-contradiction, can apply univocally to God and creatures, then any theological assertion we care to make - God is three persons, Jesus is God - could be simultaneously true and false. If this is Van Til's position Hoeksema is indeed correct that it would "destroy the very foundations of theology." Under the rubric of divine sovereignty and transcendence, we would undermine our ability to say anything whatsoever about God. Along similar lines, to identify a contradiction with God would undermine theology, and by extension creation, apparently leaving us in a morass of trivialism."

The premise of this quote is a straw man argument. I never denied logic applies to God. I said that representing the laws of the supernatural world as being different than the natural world is not illogical. You are imposing the premise that the principles of the supernatural world have to be the same as the natural world, as a basis for saying the supernatual is illogical. No--there is no logical contradiction for saying different realms have different properties. What your statement says is, that if we accept that God is illogical, then like all views based on a lack of logic, it is illogical. A straw man argument is not a real answer: but its use is only the appearance of an answer.

Citing this web cite doesn't answer anything. How does it establish that if there is a supernatural world, it cannot have properties of existence different than the natural world?? This is just creating an appearance of an answer when you do not have one.

"God was God and yet NOT God"

It looks fairly meaningless to me, but you seem to think different. Good! you can explain what meaning the statement has!

Now, you are quoting me out of context, to create an appearance of an answer, when you do not have one. What you quoted of my post is what I said the Bible does not say. Now you want me to explain the meaning of what the Bible does not say.

You are aware that theologians (generally) limit God's omnipotence to what is logically possible?

Do you mean some theologians you like best?? How about theologians who believe the Bible is inspiried and inerrant?? That is, what about the theologians who begin interpretation on the basis of testing first the validity of the Bible according to the possibility of the truth of its representations?? This response by you is so vague and so general, that it actually is only the appearance of making an answer. Is that because you really don't have one??

Lets assume that the Bible is consisent throughout in portraying God as a "tri-unity".

That the Bible is consistent in this, doesn't show that the doctrine itself is consistent.

I could consistently say that sheep have wings. Nevertheless, wings are not consistent with sheep!

Again, you want to apply the laws from one realm to another realm, but you have no logical way for establishing that necessity.

If I say sheep have wings in the natural world, and then say that according to the natural world sheep do not have wings, I am inconsistent. If I say sheep have wings in heaven and then say they do not, I am inconsistent. However, if I say sheep have wings in heaven even though they do not in the natural world, I am not being inconsistent. The question is not--can sheep have wings in the supernatural world, inasmuch as they do not have them in the natural world?? That is a very confused way to apply logic!!! The only question is--do sheep in the supernatural world have wings?? If there is no evidence to evaluate the possibility, we don't know. If Scripture is the Word of God, and it says they have wings, then they do. But, there is no logical basis to say that because sheep have no wings in the natural world, by necessity it must be held they cannot have wings in the supernatural world.

If I say sheep have wings in the supernatural realm, and then say they do not, that is inconsistent and a violation of logic. However, if I say the supernatural world is not entirely consistent with the natural world, that is no violation of logic. You cannot hold that a supernatural world cannot exist that is different than the natural world by any basis other than faith, other than a mere desire on your part on how it should be.

I agree that looks like a contradiction. Perhaps it wouldn't be a contradiciton in the supernatural world?

First of all, my statement was suppositional--the Bible only says all things are possible for God. However, not all the conditions on how the supernatural world operates are revealed to us, and we don't even know that much about the natural world, the universe is so large and complex. Scripture only reveals as much about the supernatural as is necessary for a relationship with God, and for an understanding of how it affects our life in the natural world. However, Scripture assures us of it representations through the reliability of its world view and its capacity on predictive prophecy.

Regards,

Paul

DivineNames said:
MPaul said:

The Bible does not say God is God and yet not God.

Divine Names said:

Here, in the Rainforest of confusion that envelopes religion/theology, a single voice rises above the thicket, and a single eye sees clearly.

Divine Names - "Blessed is the womb that bore thee and the breasts at which you nursed" :)

If I say sheep have wings in the supernatural realm, and then say they do not, that is inconsistent and a violation of logic

Hallelujah :angel: ...now we're getting somewhere.

So a violation of what we (here in the "natural realm") understand to be logical would still represent a violation of logic in the "spiritual realm"? And, conversely, what we would term illogical and inconsistent (such as preposing that something or someone "is AND isn't") would also be illogical and inconsistent in that spiritual realm?

Back