Christian Forums

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Focus on the Family

Strengthening families through biblical principles.

Focus on the Family addresses the use of biblical principles in parenting and marriage to strengthen the family.

• Guest, Join Papa Zoom today for some uplifting biblical encouragement! --> Daily Verses
  • The Gospel of Jesus Christ

Heard of "The Gospel"? Want to know more?

There is salvation in no other, for there is not another name under heaven having been given among men, by which it behooves us to be saved."

Bible Study The Begotten Word of God

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
John 1:1 - The case of the missing article

John 1:1 - The case of the missing article...

I wish to apologize beforehand for those who hate seeing Greek arguments and lexical stuff. But in this instance, I don't see any any around it. Some (the NWT for e.g.) have claimed that John 1:1c says something that it simply does not.

BTW, the NET translation (found at http://www.bible.org), they have a translation note on John 1:1c which is excellent and part of my argument here.

Here's that NET note (with a few comments) on John 1:1. But 1st of all let me add that the NWT's handling of that text violates a basic understanding about the use of the article ("the") in Greek as well as an understanding about the predicate nominative structure. Here's the note. Sorry... it gets kinda technical->

NET footnote #3:
3tn Or "and what God was the Word was." Colwell's Rule is often invoked to support the translation of theos as definite ("God") rather than indefinite ("a god") here. However, Colwell's Rule merely permits, but does not demand, that a predicate nominative ahead of an equative verb be translated as definite rather than indefinite. Furthermore, Colwell's Rule did not deal with a third possibility, that the anarthrous predicate noun may have more of a qualitative nuance when placed ahead of the verb. A definite meaning for the term is reflected in the traditional rendering "the word was God." From a technical standpoint, though, it is preferable to see a qualitative aspect to anarthrous theos in John 1:1c (D. B. Wallace, Exegetical Syntax, 266­69). Translations like the NEB, REB, and Moffatt are helpful in capturing the sense in John 1:1c, that the Word was fully deity in essence (just as much God as God the Father). However, in contemporary English "the Word was divine" (Moffatt) does not quite catch the meaning since "divine" as a descriptive term is not used in contemporary English exclusively of God. The translation "what God was the Word was" is perhaps the most nuanced rendering, conveying that everything God was in essence, the Word was too. This points to unity of essence between the Father and the Son without equating the persons. However, in surveying a number of native speakers of English, some of whom had formal theological training and some of whom did not, the editors concluded that the fine distinctions indicated by "what God was the Word was" would not be understood by many contemporary readers. Thus the translation "the Word was fully God" was chosen because it is more likely to convey the meaning to the average English reader that the Logos (which "became flesh and took up residence among us" in John 1:14 and is thereafter identified in the Fourth Gospel as Jesus) is one in essence with God the Father while distinct in person from God the Father.

OK, those who oppose the translation here of "and the Word was God" argue that since THEOS ("God" or "god") in John 1:1c does not have the article it is referring to "a god" rather than "God."

What is the purpose of the article in Greek ("the")? In koine Greek it's different than in modern English. It had not long evolved from the demonstrative pronoun ("this"/"that") at that time. The purpose of the article was to "identify." ANY Greek grammar will tell you this. The focus is on identity when the article is used. But it is crucial that we realize that just because no article is used it does NOT mean that identity is not the focus. And we will see later that there is a very good reason why John could NOT use an article here grammatically. So he may well have intended identity without an article, as nearly every Bible translates this phrase. That is quite common in koine Greek.

In English, for example, we could say,
1 - "Don is the man."
2 - "Don is man."
3 - "Don is a man."

In # 1 above to say that would be to identify Don. "Which man were you referring to? Oh, the one with blue suade shoes? Well, Don is the man."

How about an elderlylady who didn't see too well. Don has fairly long hair. To her we might answer her question about his gender by, "Oh, Don is a man." That's # 3 above.

OK, say someone was being critical of how well Don was doing something. In defense we might answer that he was only human. We might say, "After all, Don is man." That would be#2 above.

OK, we have a problem in Greek. You see first of all, koine Greek does not have an indefinite article. An indefinite what you say? That is referring to "a"/"an." Also, the definite article ("the") had just recently evolved from the demonstrative promoun ("this"/"that") in koine Greek.

Hence the use of the article in Greek is much different than in English. Sometimes we need to just ignore the article. For example, it is often used before proper names. We wouldn't say, "The Dave is here." :roll: Other times one needs to be supplied in order for it to read right in English and not sound awkward.

But often the article is not used - purposely... to focus on quality. That's why Dr. Wallace above translates it as "what God was the Word was." IOW, is God holy? The Word is holy. Is God omnipotent? The Word is omnipotent...

Now I don't know how else to say it, but simply to say that the argument that a missing article in John befoe THEOS indicates that THEOS there does not refer to God is simply... wrong. That's a basic Greek misunderstanding. Don't know where such a crazy idea came from.

Now, how can I make this point clear? Well, how about if I find some examples in John in which find clearly "God" is intended, and where no article is used (called "anarthrous"). How far do we have to look? Not very far! It occurs a few more times in chapter 1 alone. Here's the really obvious ones:

John 1:6 - "There came a man sent from God, whose name was John." Here it says that John (the Baptizer) was sent from God... no article there. Let's see... when does THEOS appear again:

John 1:12 "But to all who received Him, who believed in His name, he gave the right to become children of God." You guessed it - no article. Oh, in vs. 13... no article either:

John 1:13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

Let's see, well then, when's the next time that "God" appears in this 1st chapter? Ahhh, not until vs. 18. That's the really clear one ->

John 1:18 No one has ever seen God. The only Son - the One who is at the Father's side - He has revealed Him.
Surely there's an article there, right? Wrong - no article.

So we can obviously conclude that the lack of an article does not mean that we should read a noun as "indefinite." Actually, if THEOS does not have an article, it can and often does still mean "God," not "a god." Such a conclusion cannot be denied by just looking in the immediate context alone.

Now to be fair, I should mention that John 1:1c has a special format - it's a "predicate nominative." That's where the NET note above explains the proper way to handle such so well.

But just think about that for a second. A predicate nominative has an equating verb joining two "nominative" case nouns (They're both the "subject."). Here's an example: "Bill is the doctor."

Now, in Greek, if you put the article before both "Bill" and "doctor," then the statement would have to be fully reversible. You see, word order is not significant in Greek as in English (except for emphasis).

So in our example we'd have to be able to say not only, "Bill is the doctor," but "the doctor is Bill." IOW, all doctors must be named Bill! Ludicrous. How do you make it clear that you only intend to go one way? You guessed it - by NOT putting an article (if this was in Greek) with "doctor."

Similarly, if there had been an article before "God" in John 1:1c then we'd have to also be able to say, "The Word was God," but also, "God was the Word." Or, as my 15 y.o. daughter said when she was 3 y.o., "Jesus is God and God is Jesus."

But you see, that's not true. That's essentially modalism. And no, I didn't correct my daughter, I was very impressed that she could express it the way she did.

BTW, in the Greek THEOS ("God") appears 1st... you guessed it - for emphasis. So if John wanted to emphasize that the Word was God, what would he do? Ah, he could put THEOS first in the clause, right? Guess what? That's what he did.

So then, one more grammatical point: since koine Greek does not have the indefinite article as there is in English ("a" - "an"), context tells you when it should be supplied. And since the context for John 1 is that this Word created the world and contains life in Himself... the context is clear that THEOS in John 1:1c without the article was referring to deity. There are actually 3 possibilities here then:

The Word was God - definite
The Word was a god - indefinite
The Word was God. ("divine") - quality

FYI, the NET Bible is an excellent resource, found at http://www.bible.org. Also, Dr. Wallace, the editor of the NET Bible is one of the foremost recognized Greek scholars in the world. He'd be on any short list of such. His Greek grammar textbook, Greek Grammar Beyond the Basics is the #1 Greek grammar used for advanced Greek studies in seminaries in the US. The point is - he's no slouch.

Oh, BTW, modalism is when we say that there is but one God who appears in different forms or modes. In this instance, an article with THEOS would have forced the statement that God is Jesus as well as Jesus is God. But that is not sound trinitarian blblical truth. Hence, one thing we know, John could NOT have placed an article before THEOS. It woiuld have forced him to make an inaccurate statement about the Godhead.

A Greek writer can express the definite force unambiguously by placing the noun after the verb and dropping the article - as was done here. By doing that he is saying something like "the Word was divine," meaning that Jesus has the quality of God - He has the characteristics of God. In English that does not always get read as saying that Jesus was God in essence or quality, so it wouldn't be a good translation. It is similar to what Colossians 2:9 says, "And in Him the full nature of God's dwells bodily."

The fact that he can also place the anarthrous ("no article") noun prior to the verb, and when doing so, the result - more often than not - lays stress on the quality of the noun - is a rather clear GRAMMATICAL distinction. Such nouns can also - in some cases - convey a definite semantic nuance (that is, be semanticaly equivalent to having the article - hence this could simply mean "the Word was God."). Thus, we cannot assume that simply because the noun is anarthrous that it must be indefinite ("a god"). In fact, context will be the key.

So what is the context here?

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God..."
The Word was with God from the very beginning. The first words of John’s Gospel, “In the beginning … ,†bring to mind the account of creation in Genesis 1, and they were intended to do just that. This is not coincidence The phrase, “in the beginning,†in Greek as in English and is the same as in Genesis 1:1 (OT -Greek septuagint compared) and John 1:1. "In the beginning God …" John is doing virtually the same thing in the first two verses of this Gospel. You see, the terms "Messiah" ("Christ"), "Son of God," and "Jesus" are only appropriate when referring to our Lord after His incarnation. Our Lord has always existed as God, and He has always existed in oneness and fellowship with God the Father and God the Holy Spirit, but He did not become God incarnate (Jesus - in the flesh) until He was "born" as described in Matthew and Luke. IOW the Son was always God, but He BECAME man at a point in time in history.

In fact, here in John we see that John doesn't even mention Jesus by name for several vss., but instead refers to Him as "the Word." Because Jesus Christ was God's expression of Himself to the world. Jesus was born at a point in time. He became a man at a point in time in history. But He was ALWYS God... has always existed... is the self-existant One. That is clearly a point that the Holy Spirit is making here through John.

"All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being."
So the Word is the creator of all things.

"In Him was life and that life was the light of men."
So the Word (Jesus) is life to all men. He is the One who enlightens the world.

"The light shines in the darkness, yet the darkness has not overcome it."
His sovereignty is implied here.

The context is clearly of one who is God. How could John have made that more clear?

Hope this helps.

Thx,

FG

Very nice, FreeGrace. A little long, but very nice. :smt038

Freegrace do you know what this means?

Matt 23:24
24 "Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!
(NKJ)

Squeakybro said:
Freegrace do you know what this means?

Matt 23:24
24 "Blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel!
(NKJ)
Yes, Squeakybro.

It means that you are not addressing scripture. You haven't said a thing about John 1 - the single most clear passage in scripture that teaches the deity of Christ. Instead you're searching for passages which in your mind bring to question that deity.

I guess you're right - kinda like our Lord said - you're straining out the gnats but swallowing the camel.

Thx for being vulnerable to the truth. Gotta say, I didn't expect you to admit it.

FG
(Instead of scripture-name-calling, how about just addressing the Word. Now, what do you have to say regarding John 1? I don't want to hear any remarks about your opinion of me. You haven't addressed a single point I've made yet. If what I shared regarding John 1 is true, then you're still in your sins. I'd love to talk about what can be done about that. Seriously. This is not about winning some debate. This is about your eternal destiny. I'd love to talk.)

Do you read any of the revelations I post. I addressed all them verses. But I dont mind doing it again until you get it right.

God is neither male nor female and we call Him a He(as a spiritual title of authority) the Holy Spirit is neither male nor female and we call Him a He(as a spiritual title of authority) Gods Word carries the same spiritual title of authority.
He the Word of God was (pastense) with God but left and came to us. Looking for those who would submit to Him. He the Word is full of grace and truth. He is the only begotten Word of God.

John 1:1-2

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 He was in the beginning with God.
(NKJ)

John 1:14
14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
(NKJ)

He the only begotten Word of God full of grace and truth found and came through the only begotten Son of God Jesus.

John 1:17-18
17 For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
18 No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.
(NKJ)

John 1 clearly says that the one-and-only (that's what the Greek Word translated in some Bibles as "begotten means - "unique") Son IS the Word - not that the Word comes through the Son - Jesus Christ.

Have a good weekend, SqueakyBro. I look forward to talking to you on Monday.

FG

I'm sorry but John 1-1 says the Word of God has the same authority that God does. And the Word is the Word of God. Jesus is not the Word. Now the Word did come through Jesus.

SB,

John 1:1-3,14 make it clear that the Word is, in very nature, God and that the Word "became flesh and dwelt among us." Jesus is the Word, that is the whole point of John 1.

Why is it you so easily dismiss FG's large post which uses the Greek to prove what he is saying?

you said
Why is it you so easily dismiss FG's large post which uses the Greek to prove what he is saying?

I said
Because not even the Greek have the authority of the Word of God or the Holy Spirit. And the Greek cant get anyone to heaven. And the Greek are no more than the Greek.

Rom 16:25-26
25 Now to Him who is able to establish you according to my gospel and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery kept secret since the world began
26 but now has been made manifest, and by the prophetic Scriptures has been made known to all nations, according to the commandment of the everlasting God, for obedience to the faith--
(NKJ)

1 Cor 2:4-8
4 And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,
5 that your faith should not be in the wisdom of men but in the power of God.
6 However, we speak wisdom among those who are mature, yet not the wisdom of this age, nor of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing.
7 But we speak the wisdom of God in a mystery, the hidden wisdom which God ordained before the ages for our glory,
8 which none of the rulers of this age knew; for had they known, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
(NKJ)

SB,

Because not even the Greek have the authority of the Word of God or the Holy Spirit. And the Greek cant get anyone to heaven. And the Greek are no more than the Greek.

In case you didn't know, the NT was written in Greek. When things are translated from Greek to English, or any language to any other language, much can get lost in translation. The most accurate reading of the Bible comes from the Greek text, not the English.

Since FG's understanding of John 1 is based on the Greek, his understanding is the superior one and, therefore, the most likely to be correct. So you cannot simply dismiss his claims without addressing the points he made.

you said
So you cannot simply dismiss his claims without addressing the points he made.

I said
You are a hypocrite arn't you. I have asked you only one question and you refuse to answer. And then you come back with the arrogance to tell me I must answer you. Are you ready to answer my question?

I have answered all your questions that are relevant to what is being discussed. And I am not asking you to answer me, but FG.

Free thats not true. I have only asked you one question. Do you hate your parents?

SB,

This seems to be going downhill rapidly. The idea here is not to win some debate. The idea is that we must all stand before Christ one day. That is a serious issue then. Just who you believe Jesus Christ to be has serious consequences. I do not wish to get involved in give-and-take put-downs.

Free was just asking you to address the points made. I have to wonder what your reasons are for posting here... I hope that you are genuinely seeking the truth. Jesus said that He was the truth...

"I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through Me."

Thx,

FG

My reason for being here is because the Lord sent me. To demonstrate the Spirit. And from what i have seen so far, it is needed. I have seen to many that put their faith in human wisdom.

1 Cor 2:4-5
4 And my speech and my preaching were not with persuasive words of human wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power,
(NKJ)

Squeakybro said:
My reason for being here is because the Lord sent me. To demonstrate the Spirit. And from what i have seen so far, it is needed. I have seen to many that put their faith in human wisdom.

1 Cor 2:4-5
(NKJ)
Thx. Well, SqueakyBro, what do you think about what the Spirit said in John 1?

Thx,

FG

What the Spirit said in John 1 was the Word was with God and left and came down to us looking for a home. He the Word found His first home in Jesus.

Squeakybro said:
What the Spirit said in John 1 was the Word was with God and left and came down to us looking for a home. He the Word found His first home in Jesus.
SB,

Well then you haven't addressed Free's argument about the obvious connection between the Word and Jesus Christ. The Son is not the originator of the Word - He is the Word.

FG

I did address it. But he or she couldnt handle the truth.
The Word(He) was with God. The Word(He) is full of grace and truth. Grace and truth came through Jesus.

John 1:1-2

1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 He was in the beginning with God.
(NKJ)

John 1:14
14 And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth.
(NKJ)

He the Word is refered to as the only begotten Word of God which is full of grace and truth. So the only begotten Word of God came through the only begotten Son of God Jesus.

John 1:17-18
17 For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
18 No one has seen God at any time. The only begotten Son, who is in the bosom of the Father, He has declared Him.
(NKJ)

Donations

Total amount
$1,592.00
Goal
$5,080.00
Back